Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Yeah, if you're not enjoying it early on I can confirm that it will continue to feel well dull no matter how much time you put into it. 

Enter the Gungeon is my most played game on Switch :( It's weird though - I bought it on PS4, played it once and hated it. I've no real why I bought it again but 145 hours/£10.99 is probably one of my better value for money gaming buys. What a pointless story.

Hey if I only buy one challenging game in the sub-£15 bracket should it be The Messenger or Hyper Light Drifter? They both look like my thing, is there anything terrible you can tell me about one to put me off?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Hey if I only buy one challenging game in the sub-£15 bracket should it be The Messenger or Hyper Light Drifter? They both look like my thing, is there anything terrible you can tell me about one to put me off?

Do you already have Hollow Knight? If not, that is definitely worth considering as well and a bargain for £10.99 (or under £9 in the SA eshop).

9 minutes ago, shiffy said:

Where's the best place to get US eShop gift cards these days? Wanting to take advantage of a couple of USA deals that don't seem to be on the UK store.

Don’t know about best, but I’ve used OffGamers.

51 minutes ago, shiffy said:

Where's the best place to get US eShop gift cards these days? Wanting to take advantage of a couple of USA deals that don't seem to be on the UK store.

I like PC Game Supply as they charge the exchange rate, accept paypal and the code either arrives instantly or within 10 minutes max.

24 minutes ago, ZOK said:

This is the opposite of correct.

22 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

No it isn’t.

Lol. I think the gameplay is good. But too much time is wasted  walking in corridors. Even the teleport is slow. And the load times are ... guess what? slow.

I dont want to put someone off. It is a good game but after some deaths I just cant bother to restart again.

Nuclear Throne on the other hand is the opposite, you spend 98% of the actual time getting better at it, so restarting is not a problem at all.

• Upvote 3

There are load times in Enter the Gungeon? For what?

I’ve put around a hundred hours into it and can’t recognise any of @daifuco‘s description. Are you sure you’re thinking of the right game?

EtD didn't stick for me, either. Each run took too long and I never felt like I was making enough progress. The early floors ended up being tedious because I always just wanted to get back to the floor where I'd previously died but had to spend ten minutes doing the first floor every time without any shortcuts. There are better roguelikes out there if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bowser123 said:

I like PC Game Supply as they charge the exchange rate, accept paypal and the code either arrives instantly or within 10 minutes max.

Ah yes, I'd completely forgotten about them! Thanks for the reminder bowser123.

15 hours ago, Jamie John said:

EtD didn't stick for me, either. Each run took too long and I never felt like I was making enough progress. The early floors ended up being tedious because I always just wanted to get back to the floor where I'd previously died but had to spend ten minutes doing the first floor every time without any shortcuts. There are better roguelikes out there if you ask me.

Whilst there may be better Rogelikes, that doesn’t preclude EtG (Dungeon?! You heathen!) from being one of the best also, and the fact it has a ten page thread on here filled with people raving about it is a testament to that. Taste is subjective, of course.

Most roguelikes are lucky to scrape past a page or two, if they prompt a thread at all.

• Upvote 1

After talking about Voez last week, this week I was going to talk about Gorogoa as it was on sale, but on checking this morning, it appears to be back to full price. So in a last minute change of heart, I'm going to talk about something else.

Cosmic Star Heroine

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Cosmic-Star-Heroine-1408631.html

Price: £10.99

Metacritic 78%

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/cosmic-star-heroine

Also on PS4 and Vita.

CSH is an old school JRPG from the American developers Zeboyd Games (Can it be a JRPG if it's not from Japan? Something to ponder) without most of the old school trappings you used to get. No random battles, experience points are shared by all characters and although the fights are turn based, they're over quickly. In fact, speed and expediency are what this game is all about. The game is about 10-15 hours long in total and you're never in one location long before moving on to another. The game moves at a brisk pace and you seemingly pick up a new character for your party every 15 minutes or so. 

You can't talk about this game without talking about Phantasy Star. It's definitely a Phantasy Star 'homage'. It's a sci fi story where you travel to three worlds and are working to stop a government conspiracy. The story is what you would expect from a 16 bit JRPG, but there is a fair amount of humour injected in. A few character comments are genuinely funny and it's obvious the game makers knew their audience when they were making this.

The Switch seems to be getting a fair few JRPGs at the minute. As a big fan of the genre, I played it straight after Ys VIII earlier this year and if I'm honest, I preferred this. And even though Octopath reviewed better, I've struggled to go back to that with its slow, plodding pace. And with all the Final Fantasy games coming out next year, not to mention Tales of Vesperia, SMTV and Fire Emblem, don't let this pass you by if you're a fan of the genre. It's apparently also getting a Limited Run physical version in the new year of that's more your thing. 

download (1).jpeg

cosmic_star_heroine_nintendo_switch_combat_1533637473600.jpg

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Whilst there may be better Rogelikes, that doesn’t preclude EtG (Dungeon?! You heathen!) from being one of the best also, and the fact it has a ten page thread on here filled with people raving about it is a testament to that. Taste is subjective, of course.

Most roguelikes are lucky to scrape past a page or two, if they prompt a thread at all.

The early game become tedious quickly. Mostly because there are not that many enemies at all. And the corridors!

After you die there is a loading screen that takes too long. Don't make me time it!

Binding of Isaac  Solves the "too easy early game" problem by:

Keeping you shooting all the time. Easy or hard theres action.

The mystery of hidden rooms. And the gambling of special rooms. All this makes your brain to flip in a different mode when you have killed most of the floor. 

No transitions at all, no travel from room to room. From floor to floor you get a short cartoon! 

NT solves the problem by:

Being hard even at early stages.

No corridors!!! No noticeable loading screen!

Being fast!

The early game feels like a warm up for what is up to come.

This being said I think that EtG seems fine. Graphics are cute and the gameplay feels solid. It is just pace what  is not that good. Etg should feel fast like the trailer 

You know what game feels like the Etg trailer? Nuclear Throne

• Upvote 3

Loading after you die?! :sherlock:

I don’t consider loading after you die a loading screen. If you’re any good you won’t see it more than once an hour on average, if that, so it’s entirely moot.

I suppose you could be annoyed by loading between levels, but clearly it doesn’t bother me. I don’t see the rest of the things you mention as ‘issues’ at all, sorry.

The pace in EtG seems spot on to me, but that’s entirely subjective.

Payday so I just bought steamworld dig 2 which is half price and now torn between getting hollow knight or stardew valley.  I'm absolutely loving the switch. It's reinvigorated my love for video games.  I thought I'd started to move away from them being 46, turns out I just needed a switch. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Why is Spelunky not on Switch? 

Probably too busy working on the new one. Which I expect will come to Switch.

36 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Has anyone any experience of Kamiko? It looks like a nice take on early Zelda and only £2.24...

Its excellent but not much like Zelda really.