Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

38 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

thanks for all the replies I've set up an extra profile on my switch for Russia i guess im just a bit apprehensive of using my debit/credit card when it comes to do with Russia 

If it helps, the receipt I got after I made a purchase from the Russian eShop came from Nintendo Europe (as do purchases from

the South Africa store for what its worth).

• Upvote 1

On 26/01/2018 at 14:18, Don Wiskerando said:

But I want my Gold Stars.   :(

You still get gold stars. It has no effect other than breaking the link with your old 3DS/Wii U account until you connect it again.

• Upvote 1

I have to wonder if I'm the only person on the English speaking part of the internet who actually bought Zero Gunner 2.

I am a relatively casual/non obsessive fan of shmups, own the DC version and have been enjoying it for years. 

I bought the switch port the day it came out, have played it a lot and am very happy with it.

As far as I can tell it is the same Zero Gunner 2 that I've been enjoying for years on Dreamcast, only now playable on a handheld device.

There is nothing that particularly stands out as worse than the DC version or a noticeable problem to me.

I'd like to see more attempts to bring ports of later/more technically demanding arcade games to the switch even if they are not 100% accurate to the original in every way.

That is a much more exciting prospect to me than yet again getting a slow drip of the same bunch of neo geo roms or less demanding (in terms of hardware) games like gunbird or strikers that can easily be run on any number of cheap devices through an emulator.

I would suggest that anyone who enjoys playing shmups as part of a balanced gaming diet would be hard pressed to find any major problems with the switch port of Zero Gunner 2 and would instead quite likely enjoy it for what it is, an excellent and fairly unique shooting game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

this weeks games

https://www.thumbsticks.com/nintendo-eshop-releases-february-2-2018-01292018/

ACA NeoGeo Samurai Shodown II – £6.29

AeternoBlade – £13.49

3D Mini-Golf – £17.99

Frederic 2: Evil Strikes Back – TBC

Her Majesty’s SPIFFING – £9.99

Mad Carnage (Our Feb 2nd) – £4.49

Shiftlings – Enhanced Edition – £11.29

Sky Force Reloaded – £8.99

SteamWorld Dig – TBC

Zig Zag Go! –  £1.39

• Upvote 3

On 28/01/2018 at 02:49, partious said:

I have to wonder if I'm the only person on the English speaking part of the internet who actually bought Zero Gunner 2.

I am a relatively casual/non obsessive fan of shmups, own the DC version and have been enjoying it for years. 

I bought the switch port the day it came out, have played it a lot and am very happy with it.

As far as I can tell it is the same Zero Gunner 2 that I've been enjoying for years on Dreamcast, only now playable on a handheld device.

There is nothing that particularly stands out as worse than the DC version or a noticeable problem to me.

I'd like to see more attempts to bring ports of later/more technically demanding arcade games to the switch even if they are not 100% accurate to the original in every way.

That is a much more exciting prospect to me than yet again getting a slow drip of the same bunch of neo geo roms or less demanding (in terms of hardware) games like gunbird or strikers that can easily be run on any number of cheap devices through an emulator.

I would suggest that anyone who enjoys playing shmups as part of a balanced gaming diet would be hard pressed to find any major problems with the switch port of Zero Gunner 2 and would instead quite likely enjoy it for what it is, an excellent and fairly unique shooting game.

Oh Shit I love zero gunner 2, wore out like 3 cdr copies for the DC. The bosses are so great, a fucking submarine that turns into a plane that turns into a big robot spider yaaaasssss

1 minute ago, Hoodedclaw said:

I need to start getting all these Neo games 

I really want them to add folder support in the next update so I can group them all together. 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It'd be great if they added online support for them. Wishful thinking of course.

But then they would likely cost a lot more than £6 which would rule a lot more of them out for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/01/2018 at 09:52, Stanley said:

Shodown II :wub:

With that and Art of Fighting II we're only Last Blade II away from all the best Neo Geo fighters being arcade perfect on a handheld console. 

(no, I don't know why so many of the best fighters are sophomore efforts; see e.g. the Soul, Virtua, Marvel Vs Capcom, Dead or Alive series for further examples) 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

They seem to be teasing me by holding back KoF'97. Samurai Shodown II completes the holy trinity at least.

KOF 94 is my favourite. The others probably improve on it but I played that one first and a lot more. Played loads of that and Shodown II when they were first released.

'98 is objectively the best, but my personal favourites are '97 and '99. I loved the shake-up that '99 provided, it's what the series needed after the apex of '98. Too bad the Striker system dropped the other team members from onlooking.

I'm really eager to grab more of these NeoGeo games, but I'm holding out for a NeoSD.

On 02/02/2018 at 16:56, Wiper said:

With that and Art of Fighting II we're only Last Blade II away from all the best Neo Geo fighters being arcade perfect on a handheld console. 

(no, I don't know why so many of the best fighters are sophomore efforts; see e.g. the Soul, Virtua, Marvel Vs Capcom, Dead or Alive series for further examples) 

Fairly certain Last Blade II is already on there!

Garou clicked with me much more than Samurai Shodown II, which doesn't feel too great. Any advice on how I might approach it differently? What's supposed to be its strengths, please? 

I'm not a big fan of the FF games (I don't dislike them, I'm just a bit ambivalent towards them) so can't offer you a way in from a liking of Garou, but the SS games have a different flow to them. The massive gulf in damage between a weak attack and a heavy attack makes gameplay a lot more tentative; specials and combos aren't necessary to deal massive damage, and a misjudged attack can easily see you losing half a lifebar. Throw in attacks as parries and huge damage scaling on counter attacks, plus lots of ways to evade attacks, and you have a fighter where any moment can see a massive turnaround, where combos only last a few hits but are devastating. 

I really like that tension (which is also why I rate Last Blade 2, which takes the defensive play even further), but it can feel a bit laboured compared to other fighting games because of its division into short bursts of action. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah Shodown is much more staccato than the Fatal Fury games, but as Wiper says there's a certain amount of tension and minimalist beauty to the combos as a result. I didn't enjoy the series as much III onwards as it got a bit too busy, but SSII is a masterpiece imo, Genjuro

:wub:Samsho2_win_genjuro.png.79ac9f53a78ee32bb778897b401e5125.png

• Upvote 2

Thanks, I've had a good bash at it and I'll see how I get on against my mate. That's where I've got most entertainment out of the Neo Geo titles, really. I definitely find the fluidity of Garou much more natural, I seem to be able to pull off combos quite easily and I immediately found a few characters I liked. Still, I like the idea of something quite different in pace so I'll give it a good go. 

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Alas, only Last Blade 1 for now. Still good, but not quite there. 

You're quite right, my mistake.

I somehow managed to skim read a review from 2012 on Nintendo life and completely miss it was for the Wii Virtual Console release!

Hopefully at the rate the Neo Geo games are appearing it shouldn't be too long though.

Yeah, I'm sure it will - as with SamSho, Metal Slug and AoF they seem to have opted to release the less well-regarded entries in many of the series first, presumably under the (correct) assumption that people would be less likely to buy them if they had the pinnacles out first.