Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Just now, DarkCrisis said:

Yooka Laylee 50% off on eShop right now is it worth it?

Ehhhhhhhh. It's meant to be a great port, but the game itself is just dull. I played it on the XBox and gave up on the 2nd world. 

5 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

Nah it's rubbish. I backed it on Kickstarter and never even finished the game on PS4. Camera, controls and level design are all distinctly below par. Some of the levels are basically just a giant sprawling mess of mediocre minigames. 

It is what it is, which is a 1:1 reboot of Banjo-Kazooie. I also dropped off on the 2nd world, but I keep meaning to get back to it because it was a pleasant enough nostalgia trip.

I loved it, but I loved Banjo Kazooie back in the day, and its just that again, with all its strengths and weaknesses.

Some good writing though.

I enjoyed Fear Effect on the Playstation, but never got around to playing this one. Was tempted at £1.99, but it ranges from awful to just ok in reviews. 

On 14/03/2019 at 12:22, chamberlago said:

Motorsport Manager is out today I think? Trying not to buy too many games this year but this is definitely getting bought

Did you pick this up? Tempted to grab it but already have all 3 on mobile.

weird art style on that Atomicrops - not sure why none of the characters have noses ! Gameplay graphics instantly reminded me of Zombies Ate My Neighbours on SNES

I bought that little £4 mini golf puzzler, you don't play shots as usual with a power bar but rather have to get the ball in the whole using the grid the course is laid out on and the set distance cards you get given - its quite neat and very clean to play.

On 14/03/2019 at 20:29, DarkCrisis said:

No. It’s nowhere near as good as Banjo Kazooie. It’s dull, the levels are too big and sparse, and it’s never really clear where you’re meant to go. Looks even worse on a platform with Super Mario Odyssey.

• Upvote 2

I wish I'd read these replies earlier this morning. I always wanted Y-L on the Switch for portability, but the Switch Tax meant it was £34.99 as opposed to just over a tenner on PS4. The current sale finally pushed it down to a more palatable price so I bought got. Hopefully nostalgia for Rare's late 90s output will save it. 

Um...sort of? It's kind of part BotW, part open-world Souls, part Monster Hunter, part MMO (mechanically, at least). I think it has a rep as a Marmite game but this will be the fourth time I buy it without regret.

• Upvote 1

I'd be really worried about performance and graphical fidelity on a switch port of Dragons Dogma to be honest.

• Upvote 1

I recall the frame rate being pretty fucked on PS3 at times, so I can see it being a bit ropey in portable at least. Fingers crossed they've put some work into the port.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've read good things about Dragon's Dogma but have never played it. Is it like Monster Hunter? I've always been put off by the ridiculous title.

The combat is a bit like Monster Hunter, albeit less difficult, and unlike that game it a) has something of a story and b) ends.* Also the original has the best opening/title theme of all time, but alas that was removed from Dark Arisen :(

I'm quite fond of it.

*though it does have a massive/endless postgame thing, which I merrily ignored

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Did you pick this up? Tempted to grab it but already have all 3 on mobile.

I did. I didn't get Motorsport Manager 3 because my tablet couldn't play it and I don't really like playing on my phone screen, anyway from what I can gather it's basically Motorsport Manager 3 with some extra graphical stuff and controller support so I've been enjoying it. I miss some of the depth of the PC version but I've played my first season and it's been very enjoyable. It runs very nicely in handheld mode, I did have one crash at the start of my first game when I was going back and forth between screens figuring all the stuff out but nothing since.

I guess it'll come down to how much you would get out of MM3 on Switch hardware

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Parksey said:

I wish I'd read these replies earlier this morning. I always wanted Y-L on the Switch for portability, but the Switch Tax meant it was £34.99 as opposed to just over a tenner on PS4. The current sale finally pushed it down to a more palatable price so I bought got. Hopefully nostalgia for Rare's late 90s output will save it. 

It got some (pretty fair tbh) criticism when launched with it having a good few niggles (bloody camera!) but they listened and a chunky update ( https://www.playtonicgames.com/huge-console-patch-now/ ) fixed pretty much all of the issues / tidied things up nicley making for a much nicer experience. 

IMO if you're a fan of BK then I'm sure you'll find it to be very enjoyable :).   

Purchased Guacamele last week as was on offer and finding it absolutely fantastic. The term metroidvania usually puts me off in 2d games as I can find cavernous backtracking / exploring can be disorienting and frustrating (looking at you hollow knight) but this treads the perfect path for me between limitation and unlocking new areas as new abilities are gained. It's held together by a very nice combat system that's easy to pick up but has added depths for those that don't like simple button mashing and an Art style that is pretty unique but looks great in motion.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Purchased Guacamele last week as was on offer and finding it absolutely fantastic. The term metroidvania usually puts me off in 2d games as I can find cavernous backtracking / exploring can be disorienting and frustrating (looking at you hollow knight) but this treads the perfect path for me between limitation and unlocking new areas as new abilities are gained. It's held together by a very nice combat system that's easy to pick up but has added depths for those that don't like simple button mashing and an Art style that is pretty unique but looks great in motion.

Yep, it's great. Getting all the secrets is good fun as well. I've got the second one on my (virtual) pile of games to play.

20 hours ago, chamberlago said:

I did. I didn't get Motorsport Manager 3 because my tablet couldn't play it and I don't really like playing on my phone screen, anyway from what I can gather it's basically Motorsport Manager 3 with some extra graphical stuff and controller support so I've been enjoying it. I miss some of the depth of the PC version but I've played my first season and it's been very enjoyable. It runs very nicely in handheld mode, I did have one crash at the start of my first game when I was going back and forth between screens figuring all the stuff out but nothing since.

I guess it'll come down to how much you would get out of MM3 on Switch hardware

I tried playing it for a bit on my phone last night, but like yourself don't get on with playing it on my phone etc. May have to pick it up!