Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

6 hours ago, Nequests said:

Gamexplain have a video that shows the options available. There's a full screen mode.

Been playing it for a while this evening, it’s basically the 3DS conversion but without the 3D effect, but on a bigger screen, and with some new tunes. So it’s good.

On 10/01/2019 at 16:38, Nequests said:

Gamexplain have a video that shows the options available. There's a full screen mode.

I’m not arsed about that one, but what about Coast 2 Coast? Will we see that ever?

• Empathy 2

Usually any discounts would go live on Thursday when the new releases come out. Don’t remember there being anything decent for this week, so that might be why you haven’t noticed anything.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Some quick reviews of e-shop only guff I've bought and either completed or given up on, with a patented get/maybe get/avoid rating:

Just gonna do some disagreeing here. And some agreeing.

• Axiom Verge: Metroid clone. Get.
  • Pan-Pan: Oddly boring puzzle game which feels as cheap as it is. Just a bit pointless. Avoid.
  • Hollow Knight: You know this one. Get.

Well these are agrees.

• Yoku's Island Express: I had fun in all the pinball parts, but the platforming bits were boggy. Maybe get.
  • Gorogoa: Beautiful puzzle game, although the puzzles are very simplistic. Feels like the iOS port it is, and therefore slightly overpriced. Maybe get.

These you've undersold. The puzzles in Gorogoa are anything but simplistic.

• Plague Road: Too expensive at 60p or whatever I played of it. A procedurally generated SRPG, ugly as sin, and completely repetetive. After an hour I'd fought the same boring battles against the same boring monsters enough times to make me scream. Avoid, and then avoid again.

Yes. It is a Bad Game.

• Subsurface Circular: You're a robot talking to other robots, trying to solve a robot murder and occasionally give directions. There's one puzzle. Then the game ends. You never move. Avoid.

Wrong! Well, your description is correct, but you've forgotten that this is a narrative discovery game and as such, the "gameplay" isn't important. The story, however is excellent.

• Undertale: When Neg recommends a game you assume it'll be terrible, but actually I fell in love with this along with the rest of the gaming population. No more to add. Get.

Or don't. It's nowhere near as good or clever as it is made out to be. It's a poor RPG with a clever mechanic in theory but the whole thing is badly played out and the crap for the sake of being crap graphics are just that - crap.

• VVVVVV: Loved it on the DS and love it here. 2D platforming with a proper retro feel (spectrum/c64 rather than NES). Instad of jump you invert gravity. That's the gimmick, and it's milked for everything it's worth. Incredibly good, and with a lot of bonus content. Get.
  • Bulboy: I think everyone bought this cheap in the Halloween sales, which is appropriate. A spooky point and click in which you, a disgusting boy, kill disgusting monsters in a disgusting house. Not puzzly enough for me for a P&C, but not terrible. Try.

Aye.

• Kamiko: 2D top down hack and slash I thought would be like Zelda, but actually it's like the start of Zelda where you only have a sword and nothing interesting happens. There's a combo mechanic, but its easy to hit your limit, rendering it pointless. Avoid.

Missing the point. This is a speed run/score attack arcade game - not a Zelda game. You're literally playing it wrong.

• Slime-San: Yet another 2D platformer with a retro aesthetic. Timed levels and some abilities to differentiate it, but it's not realy that differentiated. Alright, but it's no VVVVVV. Maybe get.

Much prefered Slime-San to VVVVVV and Super Meat Boy. It's way, way more varied than either of those, with every "world" giving you a completely new mechanic to deal with.

• West of Loathing: My pick of all my e-shop games! After a number of shallow games, what I initially thought to be a shallow RPG parody blossomed into a full fat western. Genuinely hilarious, big (but not overbearing) with multiple storylines and spittoons, and very, very clever. Exceptionally good. The first thing I wanted to do upon completion was go back to it. Get, and then get it again.

It's not the best eShop game but it *is* bloody awesome. The crap graphics *work* here.

• Human Resource Machine: My second suprise hit. Programme a little man to do maths using a limited number of inputs. This game succeeded in making me feel very clever, even if my prime factor decomposition machine wasn't the most efficient, the fact it was mine made it special. The only downside is its brevity: logic graduates and maths teachers can finish this in 5 hours, apparently. Similar to other logistics games, I have no urge to make things more efficient, which would extend it for me. Superb. Definite Get.

It is A Good Game.

• The Count Lucanor: You are a small snot nosed brat (good), and want money. Why not enter a horrific Grimm fairy tale to get it? Because you'll end up waiting for 5 minutes for a demon to walk away from a candle so you can move. If it weren't for the 'stealth' sections I'd love this, pixel art be damned, for it's unique feeling. It feels like you are playing a horrible fairy tale. But I found the stealth detracts too much. Maybe get.

Exactly right. Only you missed out the fucking awful AI and bugs.

Any I've missed out I've not played or not played enough.

• Upvote 1

Another to add in the same vein:

Membrane. First ever 4P game? (Psychedelic Physics-based Puzzle Platformer). Really enjoyed this little game. Clever and simple mechanics. Escape each room within the human body using World of Goo-style sticky blobs to create platforms etc. to reach the two collectibles and then the exit. It’s a bit linear, it’s quite short, but it is nicely challenging and has a lovely lurid colour scheme. It has been as cheap as 89p, and if it drops to a couple of quid or less again, GET IT.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Membrane.

Yeah, I dipped into this, having bought it for pennies in the sale, and although I was a little put off by the style at start, it proved to be oddly relaxing to play. I grew to like the primitive but totally weird graphics style.

58 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is there 'proper' gameplay in West of Loathing, or it it all terribly ironic and hipster (and not much fun), like Undertale?

Yes. It’s a proper RPG. A bit easy, but that might have been my class.

Added Nefarious to my list, not my last e-shop game I’ve got, but the last I gave up on. A lot of them do make me wonder why I didn’t just restart Mario Hats.

Finally, maybe I should have started a new thread if others want to add/argue? Dunno 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smac said:

Yeah, I dipped into this, having bought it for pennies in the sale, and although I was a little put off by the style at start, it proved to be oddly relaxing to play. I grew to like the primitive but totally weird graphics style.

Completed Membrane myself in the week. It’s a bit wonky and inaccurate, but it’s clever and different. I liked it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is there 'proper' gameplay in West of Loathing, or it it all terribly ironic and hipster (and not much fun), like Undertale?

It’s a proper turn based RPG. It’s also much better than Undertale.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

SOON

I'm betting if we get a Nintendo Direct, Wargroove will be released straight afterwards. 

They told me "very soon" at EGX.

Is that imminent Wii Shop closing shnit gonna affect any Virtual Console purchase / download bizness from the Wii U eShop at all? Not that I’ve even got my Wii U plugged in, but if I’ve only got a matter of weeks to buy some GBA Castlevanias outwith ebaying the original carts, I wanna know. 

6 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The Wii U eShop is staying open.

Yeah, but if you've bought a game on the Wii shop it's cheaper to buy it again on the Wii U, so there may be a knock-on effect.

9 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I predict a Direct on Thursday and Wargroove shadow drop overshadowed by SNES Online shadow drop. 

:omg:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I predict a Direct on Thursday and Wargroove shadow drop overshadowed by SNES Online shadow drop. 

Like Mario you be shroomin

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I mean if anything in that scenario it would be Wargroove doing the overshadowing, clearly!

• Upvote 2

I can't play those strategy games. Even Mario + Rabbids is too slow paced and thinky for me. Every time I do a shot and hit a block and my turn ends I grit my teeth in frustration and impatience and I wish Mario had two machineys and it was a twin-stick shooter and I'd put those rabbids in a pie-shaped grave.

• Upvote 1