Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I've read lots of mixed reviews for Black Bird. Edge only gave it a 7 and that's pretty generous compared to a few other websites. Most reviews say it's pretty short. Having said that, it's fans are pretty zealous about it.

Edge gave Sine Mora an 8.

For those not in the know, Sine Mora is a laughing stock in the shmup community, the perfect example of everything not to do when making a game in the genre.

No offence to the hallowed Edge magazine but most mainstream western games media can't really be trusted when it comes to reviewing these games.

IGN japan gave it a 9.

It is a masterpiece of recent shooter games and is perfect for both beginners and experienced.

These games are meant to be short as they're designed to be played in one sitting and replayed again and again. A run of true mode will last you around 20 minutes. I would have loved an extra stage, of course, but it doesn't need one.

It became my favourite game of the year, and if you don't follow the genre, considering this is the year that ZeroRanger came out, that is no small feat.

Rightly hailed by ign japan as

True man's intense ass that boils our soul STG "ZeroRanger"

This is definitely a burning gay masterpiece

Bullet Heaven gave it 4.75/5.

£7.50, get on it.

If you buy it and enjoy it, make sure to pick up Neko Navy too when the European version is released on Jan 8th. These two games are the god tier accessible indie shmups that the platform has been crying out for. Who knows, you might catch the bug and end up being my new best friend and come and talk to me in the shmups thread. Imagine that!

• Upvote 5

I bought The Room yesterday, as well as Iconoclasts, as I've never played it on Android and it's supposed to be great. Less than a fiver from the SA eshop. Machinarium is similarly cheap and really good if you enjoy point and click adventures. Fantastic art and sound design, too.

I really have to stop buying switch games for a little while but between the triple A titles and the eshop offers it's hard to step back. And with that in mind, is sonic mania worth a buy while it's on offer? I played the first few on megadrive and enjoyed them but is it worth a revisit? 

On the subject of Iconoclasts:

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. But I am a sucker for a retro style metroidvania. Bit on the easy side though. Took me about 10 hours to complete, but that's without secret end-game bosses.

Overall I'd say it's worth getting, but bear in mind it's free on PS+ until the January games go up, so get it there if that's an option.

36 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Has anyone got any impressions of Battlezone? I’m sorely tempted by the sale price.

I played it in VR and was pretty bored by it. Can’t imagine it would be any better on a normal screen.

• Upvote 1

I’m really getting into Crypt of the Necrodancer. I had it on Vita and PS4 and whilst I enjoyed it, my usual lack of rhythm meant I could never get anywhere with it.

But it just feels so right on the Switch, I can actually feel myself getting better at it and I’m beginning to build up some huge chains against the simpler enemies.

I think it’s a combination of the spaced out directional buttons being easier to hit compared to a d-pad and the ability to completely relax by slumping on the sofa with your hands resting to either side.

Rebellion's Rogue Trooper Redux remake is in the sale - may be worth it if you're in the market for an old-school 3rd-person shooter, although it's showing its age a little. I liked it well enough back on PS2; it's one of those solid 73% games...

On 31/12/2018 at 19:43, Monkeyspill said:

Black Bird is 50% off. I just bought it.

Yup - haven't had a chance to play it, but it's had some love in here, so I figured it was worth a punt.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gambit said:

What's the opinion on Lumines? Loved it on PSP and saw its currently on offer. Is it a good port or did they fuck it? 

It's fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Gambit said:

What's the opinion on Lumines? Loved it on PSP and saw its currently on offer. Is it a good port or did they fuck it? 

Still my most played Switch game. It’s beyond love :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yah, let's deny a weird indie game creator the full money for the game they made and then complain when they don't make another one.

Huh? I thought all of you did that sort of stuff in this here thread?

I personally can't be bothered region switching but almost every other page of this thread has people post about deals in other regions. Is that frowned upon now then or just when it's some rockstar indie dev? 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Huh? I thought all of you did that sort of stuff in this here thread?

I personally can't be bothered region switching but almost every other page of this thread has people post about deals in other regions. Is that frowned upon now then or just when it's some rockstar indie dev? 

We do

its just some people are sanctimonious twats about such things

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Is that frowned upon now then or just when it's some rockstar indie dev? 

There was a thread about it recently

If you can't be bothered to read it, the general consensus seemed to be that everyone likes a bargain, it's human nature.

If the idea of maybe pushing up game prices in poorer regions, or that devs might not be getting their fair share from your purchase causes you moral anguish then it's only your own behaviour that you can change. Guilt tripping anyone else into doing the same probably isn't going to win you any friends.

It's like that old joke "how do you know if someone's a vegetarian?"

"because if they are, they've already told you"