Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Quentin Tarantino's Untitled 60s/Manson Movie

Currently without a title, news come today that Tarantino has cast Leonardo Di Caprio in his next movie, set in Hollywood against the backdrop of the Manson cult/Tate murders. Di Caprio will play an actor who has just had a successful TV show and is looking to break into movies. He'll be accompanied by his stunt double in this quest. 

So far no other casting has been announced though its rumoured that both Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise are being sought for roles. While the Tate massacre will be front and present, it may not be the focus of the movie though rumour is that the director is after Margot Robbie for the Tate role. 

After splitting from the Weinstein company, Tarantino and the script went into a fierce bidding war, with Sony being the ultimate victor. According to the article linked below, WB went as far as to dress up the lot with 60s garb/cars, and decorated the meeting room with vintage posters. Tarantino still signed with Sony.

This will reunite Tarantino and Di Caprio, who worked together on Django Unchained. It'll also be the actor's first starring role since his Oscar winning turn in The Revenant.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tarantino-manson-family-movie-cast/

The current release date is set for August 2019.

I can't help thinking Tarantino isn't the best fit for the Manson Family murders story. And I also can't help thinking they a movie featuring that story but not being expressly about it is not likely to be a great mix.

Still, Tarantino has proved people wrong before so...

Perhaps in a fairly minor role playing Charlie? I can imagine him doing one big scene as a crazed cult leader, almost unrecognisable under the long hair and beard, in some sort of bizarre encounter with the main characters.

Star Trek after this. And this is due August 2019 so Star Trek must be late 2020/summer 2021. If it ever does happen.

8 hours ago, Sartre84 said:

So will Tarantino be doing it straight? Has he ever done straight before? Not that I'm aware of!

I think maybe Jackie Brown is his 'straightest' film. 

10 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I'm thinking it will be a story that plays around the edges of the murders. Much like Summer Of Sam.

Yeah, I’m guessing the main characters probably will meet Manson at some point, but that we’re not going to be in the room for the murders or anything.

On 13/01/2018 at 11:54, MrPogo said:

Yeah, I’m guessing the main characters probably will meet Manson at some point, but that we’re not going to be in the room for the murders or anything.

Neither was Manson.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/details-on-dicaprios-new-tarantino-film-role/

The currently untitled film has DiCaprio in the lead and until now all we knew is he’d be playing a male TV actor who has had one hit series and his looking for a way to get into the film business. Now Deadline explains more about his role and the overall film:

“What he plays, more specifically, is an actor who had his own Western show, Bounty Law, that ran on the air from 1958 to 1963. His attempt to transition to movies didn’t work out and in 1969 – the film is set at the height of hippy Hollywood movement – he’s guesting on other people’s shows while contemplating going to Italy which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns.”

I thought that as well. Clint Eastwood was already a massive star by 1969 though, so presumably DiCaprio's character is an also-ran trying to replicate his success.

Maybe he's the other guy from Rawhide.

Good, Bad & Ugly was 1966, the final part of the trilogy, and I'm pretty sure Eastwood was a big name when it came out in the US a year later. He was commanding big fees well before '69 (the year of Paint Your Wagon!) but, aside from Where Eagles Dare, he hadn't really branched out at all. Still, this character does sound like an Eastwood ringer conveniently shifted into the Manson timeline - except you wouldn't expect Tarantino to do that.

I'm not convinced Tarantino's the man for this job, though by the sound of it the Manson angle will be about context and texture rather than on-screen events. I don't know if anyone's the man for the job here, to be honest - maybe Bigelow could turn in a 'proper' Manson movie. I think you need someone who can deconstruct and dismiss the myth, and while Tarantino is no doubt capable of the first task, I don't see him managing the second. Still, at least it's not Rob Zombie.

DiCaprio's character is reported to be Tate's neighbour, with Margot Robbie being lined up to play her. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are in contention to play a stuntman friend of Di Caprio's role. He's also looking for an "authentic Polish thesp" to play Roman Polanski, who is apparently a major character too.

The timeframe seems right for the first incarnation of a certain Sci-Fi show coming to an end. I wonder if the Tarantino does Star Trek talk could be to do with this film.