rllmuk
Goose

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 60s/Manson movie

7 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

De Caprio looks like he’s going to be fantastic in this. Loved that final bit.

He looks like Kurt Russell.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bazjam said:

De Caprio looks like he’s going to be fantastic in this. Loved that final bit.

I couldnt catch what he said.

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Sounds like it does an Inglorious Basterds and breaks from history then.

Yeah, more impressions allude to that.

Apparently it was way overbooked and loads of people, with tickets, some already scanned for entry, were turned away.

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I didn't get in :(

I'd say at least 200 people with tickets got turned away. My mate Andy said it was his best since Pulp Fiction.

That sucks. Does that happen often there? Is it because high profile people want to go but dont have tickets?

Word is that's it's very good though.

It's showing again today at 2pm, but I'm flying home this morning. 

It's only happened to me once before, I got turned away from Only God Forgives. 

I think they give out about 20% more tickets than there are seats because they'd rather turn people away than have empty seats at a premiere. 

On 24/05/2019 at 14:45, JohnC said:

It's won the Palm Dog at Cannes. For the best dog performance in the Cannes selection.

That dog steals every scene.

I watched it today. It's a weird one, I found it entertaining all the way through but it doesn't feel like it goes anywhere by the end. I left not being quite sure what it was really trying to say or do. It's more of just a love note to film making full of fun but somewhat disjointed scenes. Also Tarantino has turned down his Tarantino dial from 11 to about 8. It's his most laid back movie yet.

It doesn't feel like a movie made today but rather something from the 60's, something that doesn't really exist anymore. This and the Caprio/Pitt chemistry are the best part of this movie.

3/5

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Capwn said:

That dog steals every scene.

I watched it today. It's a weird one, I found it entertaining all the way through but it doesn't feel like it goes anywhere by the end. I left not being quite sure what it was really trying to say or do. It's more of just a love note to film making full of fun but somewhat disjointed scenes. Also Tarantino has turned down his Tarantino dial from 11 to about 8. It's his most laid back movie yet.

It doesn't feel like a movie made today but rather something from the 60's, something that doesn't really exist anymore. This and the Caprio/Pitt chemistry are the best part of this movie.

3/5

That sort of feels like a review for any one of Tarantinos last 4 movies.

Really liked the change of pace and ominous atmosphere at the

Manson ranch

shame it didn’t live up to the build-up. It was gagging for a set piece, or maybe just I was.

Where’s the memorable dialogue?/10

Didn’t connect with this at all. Meandering, indulgent twaddle, with the distraction of some solid performances and the occasional injection of a cameo to jolt some life into things, but sadly little meaning I could take away. Genuinely looking forward to the reactions of others, if only, possibly, to get a sense of what I’m missing.

The final act is bizarre. Narratively, it’s a weird fantasy to indulge, and tonally felt off*. Maybe I’m just getting stupid as I get older, but based on pre-release buzz felt like at times while watching the Emperor parade his new clothes.

There have obviously been extended flashes of brilliance since, and enjoyable films, but with every passing film, I feel more that Tarantino peaked with Pulp Fiction.

In the two hours prior there’s no sense of urgency, but suddenly, with an act to go, the film fast-tracks its way to the finale, with a heavy use of narration to set-up the last actions. Picking up pace to match the bedlam on screen is fine, but to do so with a construct that is used briefly only once before feels weirdly cheap.

• Upvote 2

Well let me be the first to disagree somewhat. 

I loved it for the love letter to a time long passed that it was. Thought the ranch scene was up there with the tenseness of many Tarantino scenes and I had no clue what batshit crazy was coming in those final 10 mins. Laughed like a loon I did. 

The fake Italian movies hilarious appealed to the amount of shit I watched in my formative years. 

It also made me realise just how many movies pre 1970 are just not available for easy viewing such a fucking shame. 

• Upvote 1