rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Critical Role - The new campaign

Episode 96

This week's ep is a live show from Chicago convention C2E2.. hopefully the panels will be made available later also..

The Chicago show seems to have had technical issues.. :(Plus the venue messed up ticketing.. they started two hours late..

The stream dropped at one point also.. may want to wait for the youtube version..

BUT...

...Twitter buzz afterwards was that it was one of the best episodes of this campaign.. :omg:

This week's Talks:

Plus a bonus stream playing Two Point Hospital..

Starting 96 podcast

Oh boy it’s gonna be a Caducues episode...

*begins drinking*O

Episode 97

Live show from Chicago.. and a very eventful one.. The Mighty Nein return to Nicodranas, where reunions and a significant gathering are overshadowed by revelations close to home...

Up to Ep 82 so far, trying to catch up to this campaign. Been skipping the one-shots and Undeadwood to get caught up, are any of the one-shots particularly good?

4 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Up to Ep 82 so far, trying to catch up to this campaign. Been skipping the one-shots and Undeadwood to get caught up, are any of the one-shots particularly good?

The Night Before Critmas

Crash Pandas

Honey Hiest (I think the sequels decline sequentially)

If you watched Campaign one - The Search for Grog is good, the Search for Bob less so and Dalen's Coast depends how much you like Vex/Percy (eurgh). The Darrington Brigade one is fun though.

• Upvote 1

The Darlington brigade is great. The others not so much. Undeadwood is good but not essential viewing. 

• Upvote 1

Liam, Sam and Ashley Burch visit the Magic Castle club and learn some new tricks.. and Sam recounts his unusual encounter with Mariah Carey.. :blink:

.. and this weeks Talks Machina, Sam and Marisha discuss ep 97 while suffering extreme jetlag!

Plus Sam and Matt have some fun..

16 hours ago, Kzo said:

Of the ones listed on the CR site.. (excluding those already mentioned which are great!)

https://critrole.com/qtvideo/list-of-one-shot-videos/

I'd watch the Gamespot one again (it's when Laura created Jester - way before C2.. and why Marisha doesn't do accents!) :lol:

I like the Liam's Quest games, but they work better if you like watching stuff on the channel where the cast are out of character..

The Shadow of War was surprisingly great for a sponsored thing (plus guest Darin DePaul is amazing in this!)

Also Grog's One Shot where Travis DM's in character was great! :D

• Upvote 1

On 05/03/2020 at 07:22, MDY said:

Episode 97

Live show from Chicago.. and a very eventful one.. The Mighty Nein return to Nicodranas, where reunions and a significant gathering are overshadowed by revelations close to home...

Quite liked this (didn't realise it was way past 12am until one of them mentioned. Good show)

But good god I'm bored of Caleb and Liam's tryhard intensity/self loathing characters (coupled with Cadecus "insights"). God, I was losing the will to live during last 20minute.

Travis/Marisha though :lol:

Latest episode not on YT yet but Matt was really straining to push a story point this episode - it's not often that he lets that show as a DM but it was there in spades on this last session... he was pretty accepting of the final outcome too but I bet he'll be cursing for days after.

11 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Latest episode not on YT yet but Matt was really straining to push a story point this episode - it's not often that he lets that show as a DM but it was there in spades on this last session... he was pretty accepting of the final outcome too but I bet he'll be cursing for days after.

Haven't seen it/listened to it - but I'm going to guess it's "You don't need to go/REALLY SHOULDN'T BE at the peace conference"

more subtle than that but interested to see if others agree - I have seen it before in Briarwood arc and chroma conclave etc where he pushes HARD to get the story beat he might have planned... not a big criticism as alot of DMs do it way more openly. 95% of time Matt makes it look smooth just the odd moment where I think "oh you are trying so hard to make this branch open etc"

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

Briarwood arc and chroma conclave etc where he pushes HARD to get the story beat he might have planned... 

Can you expand? It's interesting to see a DM's perspective.

The only big one I remember in Briarwood was the "Fuck off no you can't bring your Dad's army to solve all their problems".

Chroma I had my issues with - but mostly that was cus they completely screwed Raishan, despite her being on the level entirely with them. But then that was partly because of my dislike of Keleaf

I'd need to rewatch it to remind myself but one sticks out...

Campaign one spoilers

Vax should have been killed stonedead by the Briarwoods in the encounter where he snuck into their room. Obviously Matt had built the Briarwoods to be very challenging to whole party and Vax ended up on his own with them so he was totally overpowered. If you watch that battle there are points when they should have killed Vax - they made dumb moves in the fight to "let him off" and Matt allowed the party alot of leeway in finding Vax etc quickly to even the fight.

Once it was even and things turned bad for the Briarwoods you can see Matt also pushing hard to get them away as he needed them to survive another day.

this happens sometimes to DMs but I spoke to another DM who was totally turned off Critical Role by that one encounter as he said it showed that, as good as he was, Matt was moulding and railroading the story.

Personally it doesn't bother me that much as obviously DMs do this at times but I think because Matt appears totally open it jars a bit when you see behind the curtain :)

Chroma Conclave it is similar mechanical stuff that just clunks along - everyone praises the Chroma Conclave attack as being such a great moment but it was a staged pre-prepared thing... fun but almost was like a cut scene in a videogame - again DMs do this including myself so just holding Matt to impossible high standards.

Episode 98

The Mighty Nein wrap up their night at the party and set sail for the peace conference, but are they prepared for what awaits them?

Plus a Doom Eternal one-shot..

On 09/03/2020 at 15:15, Clipper said:

Watched it now, you mean? (Spoilers for episode 98)

Spoiler

With killing Fjord and trying to take his body? I thought it flowed pretty well really. If you accept the only reason the fish people are attacking at all is specifically to nab Fjords body so they can get the stone out of his chest then it all seems to work. If anything, I think he could have focussed more on him. All the other fights are really just a distraction. Fjord could have woken up to a bunch of fish people in his room rather than one.

I agree it flowed fine but what I mean is

Yes the motivations of the fish people are all 100% correct no question...

But watch Matt on his application of rules and his insistance on extra technical stuff... he is/was being way less "loosey Goosey" than he normally is, more a stickler and pushing the rules in his favour... When Fjord was attacked in bed and got heavily damaged he quickly bamfed out and you can see it threw Matt (he was hurriedly checking the spell to see if he could get rid of it) and when he bamfed up to to crow's nest Matt did a held action (fine and clever) but when it worked he then pushed for a fall from the crows nest to give him the result he wanted - he needed to Fjord's body etc.

Also note the insistence on no armour and AC drop for Fjord ... generally speaking in D&D loads of DMs including Matt don't enforce removal of armour when sleeping, VM and M9 have both been attacked when on watch at night and no mention of AC drops for those who were sleeping... he wanted Fjord to be easy to hit so he could down him and take him.

Loads of DMs do it but Matt doesn't do it as often which is why it sticks out to me like a sore thumb when he is pushing. I hasten to add he isn't breaking any rules but he is being quite rigorous in applying them to get what he wants :D

However Matt is 100% honest because he could have fudged the bad guys HP to mean he could've dragged Fjord off but he didn't , he let them get the kill etc.

ah ok, and I apologies for anyone who's having not watched yet and just seeing spoiler blocks :)

Spoiler

I took it more as Matt's reaction to the fact the M9 has strolled though a lot of combats recently and they've just not been that interesting when they do. They're typically going into fights where they're at full strength, all their spells and somewhat loose rule applications and breeze them. Splitting them between decks, removing their armor and starting the fight with Fjord getting stabbed, all made it far more interesting than anything else they've faced recently.

The application of rules did stand out compared to normal, but my instant reaction to it was, "Ooh, he's trying to avoid a repeat of the fight against Oban when the Hand was released and Cad spent most of the combat running two concentration spells" rather than it being him trying to sway things in his own favour. Although he did mention towards the end that he did sway things a little to make up for forgetting that all the party should have been out of armor rather than just Fjord. I feel like he gave the M9 a fair bit of leeway though, Fjord burned two bonus actions and an action in the same turn to get into the crows nest and Cad being allowed to heal Fjord and Orly from his grappled position was fairly generous? Plus he always cuts Yasha slack with reminding her to rage.

The only things that really stood out for me as odd rulings were how Cad ended up grappled behind Yasha for triggering an attack of opportunity for moving out of her space in the first place. Him being the other side of her surely made more sense and it did seem like Matt just didn't really want to allow him onto the deck. Also just in general moving through allies seemed to be more awkward than it should have been. It's meant to just count as difficult terrain, you don't really get blocked in by allies. 

Re Campaign 1:

Yeah the Vax surviving being the Briarwoods room stuck out a bit at the time. I remember there being a few times in C1 when he seems to be very forgiving of some incredibly stupid decisions

On the C2 chat (inc spoilers above)

They're getting to that point there were in C1 when they just have "Magic is amazing - we always win" and asking to magic lots of solutions. (e.g. abuse of "mending")

Often missing the downsides, save chances, concentration requirements etc. Cad always forgetting Ray of Enfeeblement gets a save on each turn always fucks me off for instance - but then I'm a very, some would say too, focused on rules/interactions in DnD. I like the systems :D

I'd like a few sessions where Matt utterly schooled them on the rules - but I can't imagine how hard it must be for him with 7 characters, 10 classes and sub classes etc, and monsters to keep track off. I think that's why it irks me that they don't "pull their weight" sometimes and follow the pros/cons of what they do. (Not concentration checks though. Everyone forgets those)

And then need to learn difference between a check and save

6 hours ago, Alask said:

ah ok, and I apologies for anyone who's having not watched yet and just seeing spoiler blocks :)

Reveal hidden contents

I took it more as Matt's reaction to the fact the M9 has strolled though a lot of combats recently and they've just not been that interesting when they do. They're typically going into fights where they're at full strength, all their spells and somewhat loose rule applications and breeze them. Splitting them between decks, removing their armor and starting the fight with Fjord getting stabbed, all made it far more interesting than anything else they've faced recently.

The application of rules did stand out compared to normal, but my instant reaction to it was, "Ooh, he's trying to avoid a repeat of the fight against Oban when the Hand was released and Cad spent most of the combat running two concentration spells" rather than it being him trying to sway things in his own favour. Although he did mention towards the end that he did sway things a little to make up for forgetting that all the party should have been out of armor rather than just Fjord. I feel like he gave the M9 a fair bit of leeway though, Fjord burned two bonus actions and an action in the same turn to get into the crows nest and Cad being allowed to heal Fjord and Orly from his grappled position was fairly generous? Plus he always cuts Yasha slack with reminding her to rage.

The only things that really stood out for me as odd rulings were how Cad ended up grappled behind Yasha for triggering an attack of opportunity for moving out of her space in the first place. Him being the other side of her surely made more sense and it did seem like Matt just didn't really want to allow him onto the deck. Also just in general moving through allies seemed to be more awkward than it should have been. It's meant to just count as difficult terrain, you don't really get blocked in by allies. 

yep totally understand those points - and the ending speaks for itself in some ways

but , I don't know, I have seen it from Matt before and it just always strikes me as a bit pushy in that way. I don't mention it often because I'm aware it is hyper picky of a REALLY good DM - way better than most of us. And to be fair it might be he is eager for it to go that way as it will be REALLY cool (I know that feeling!). And it should be noted he metagames WAY less than the actual players (as it should be :D )

Due to the time commitment I rarely rewatch any CR but I might go back and rewatch the Campaign 1 example and an earlier Campaign 2 example to see if my opinion holds on those. D&D is weird as it is improvisational drama mixed with, sometimes, totally unfair RNG dice rolls - so it is almost impossible to predict or push scenarios.

Campaign 1 'Arrival at Kraghammer' first streamed on 12th March 2015..

Critical Role is 5 years old today!

Things have changed a bit in that time... :lol:

Episode 99

The Nein are all at sea, reeling from their recent battle. What will the peace talks bring? 

Unfortunately, this might be the last ep for a while... 

There's an All Work No Play, Talks and the Doom Eternal one-shot to come over the next few days.. but after that..? 

Laura, Sam and Taliesin are joined by guests as they play demons invading earth.. 

Also.. Sam and Liam hit the EXTREME spa circuit.. With special guests Noelle Stevenson and Satine Phoenix.. 

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Sam properly out of his comfort zone.. 

Matt and Marisha host a fireside discussion on the new book at home and nearly have a calamity.. :lol:

Spoiler