rllmuk
Orko

Critical Role - The new campaign

Did they Monk wrong in 65?

Unarmored Movement Improvement

At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during your move.

I'd viewed that as horizontally without dropped

e.g.

WallRun.gif

But they took it as "up" a vertical wall :S

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Did they Monk wrong in 65?

I'd viewed that as horizontally without dropped

e.g.

But they took it as "up" a vertical wall :S

There's not really 'wrong' in D&D, it's all DM interpretation.. :D

With this one though.. there's certainly room for arguments either way.. as written 'along' could just mean moving across a vertical surface in any direction.. and running up walls is even more a martial arts movie thing than the parkour wall run..

As written you could argue that since you can use some movement, attack and then use the rest of your movement normally, that this would let you move, stop to hit someone twice then move again while running on water - which seems even more ridiculous..

Personally my interpretation would be that you can run on water/up/across walls etc for up to your full movement (inc dash & Step of the Wind), unless you stop at any point, in which case gravity catches up with you..

It seems less plausible you could continue that movement on subsequent turns. You'd need to find/reach a handhold after each movement or do something creative/risky, perhaps use only movement/SotW, but keep your action to drive in a climbing piton or something to briefly anchor yourself and then repeat next turn?

Yeah Mercer had Beau make a Dex Sav at the end of each of her "turns" (they weren't in combat, but he was running it as such) to see if she could keep moving.

Just a monk running up a 300 foot wall seems silly...

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

Yeah Mercer had Beau make a Dex Sav at the end of each of her "turns" (they weren't in combat, but he was running it as such) to see if she could keep moving.

Just a monk running up a 300 foot wall seems silly...

well monks are a bit silly :D

So I may have been somewhat obsessively listening to campaign two over the last few months and I’m now caught up on the podcast (which makes me a week behind the show).

It’s been really good though, driving to work, strolling round Leeds at lunchtime, going for a run, doing the housework. All prime critical role listening opportunities. I don’t know what to do now I’ve caught up though, do I start campaign 1 and listen to that which’ll easily fill my hours or do I listen to something similar but different? The only other thing I know that’d be similar is High Rollers and purely because the guy was on crit role.

Any suggestions? I’ve listened to 1.5 episodes of campaign 1 and it’s not especially grabbing me right from the off in the same way.. googling suggests I may just need to give it time though?

13 hours ago, Alask said:

I don’t know what to do now I’ve caught up though, do I start campaign 1 and listen to that which’ll easily fill my hours or do I listen to something similar but different? The only other thing I know that’d be similar is High Rollers and purely because the guy was on crit role.

Any suggestions? I’ve listened to 1.5 episodes of campaign 1 and it’s not especially grabbing me right from the off in the same way.. googling suggests I may just need to give it time though?

Definitely stick with campaign 1.. it is a little rough round the edges at first and the first arc is a little patchy - though it definitely gets very intense by the time they get to the main threat..

After that it gets incredibly good.. I still prefer Campaign 1 over 2 by quite a bit.. It's a more traditional heroic campaign, but there's much more sense of family to VM.. the M9 are only just getting to the level we joined Campaign 1 at when the show began..

High Rollers (the first campaign - Lightfall) is definitely worth a look also. It's probably the closest to CR in spirit of those I've watched..

Mark is a great DM and his custom settings are very well crafted and while a couple of the cast take a while to get into character fully (none of them are actors and at least one hasn't been on camera much..) the others are great..

Their Campaign 2  (Aerois) I've struggled to get into - partially as none of the new characters grabbed me initially, but mostly as it clashed with the D&D game I play on Sunday evenings and i've just not had time to keep up with it.. I do really like the new setting though, it's very Skies of Arcadia..

I also have a soft spot for the 'Oxventures' an occasional D&D series from the Outside XBox/Outside Xtra channels.. These are much shorter (and hour and a half per adventure) and there's only about a dozen adventures so far. They play much more fast and loose with the rules (so if that will annoy you this isn't the show for you as it's pretty ridiculous) but I've found them very entertaining nonetheless.. It's become popular enough that they now have done several live games at EGX and some of the MCM comic shows..

• Upvote 1

First of the Kickstarter stretch goal games is coming soon

First of the new comic series hits (actual shops as well as digital) in about 4 weeks!