rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Critical Role - The new campaign

In addition to this week's regular Critical role ep on Thursday, Matt and Marisha will be playing a session of Knights of Pen and Paper 2

This will be on at a (slightly) more reasonable hour in the UK - 11pm (3pm PST)

Did they Monk wrong in 65?

Unarmored Movement Improvement

At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during your move.

I'd viewed that as horizontally without dropped

e.g.

WallRun.gif

But they took it as "up" a vertical wall :S

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Did they Monk wrong in 65?

I'd viewed that as horizontally without dropped

e.g.

But they took it as "up" a vertical wall :S

There's not really 'wrong' in D&D, it's all DM interpretation.. :D

With this one though.. there's certainly room for arguments either way.. as written 'along' could just mean moving across a vertical surface in any direction.. and running up walls is even more a martial arts movie thing than the parkour wall run..

As written you could argue that since you can use some movement, attack and then use the rest of your movement normally, that this would let you move, stop to hit someone twice then move again while running on water - which seems even more ridiculous..

Personally my interpretation would be that you can run on water/up/across walls etc for up to your full movement (inc dash & Step of the Wind), unless you stop at any point, in which case gravity catches up with you..

It seems less plausible you could continue that movement on subsequent turns. You'd need to find/reach a handhold after each movement or do something creative/risky, perhaps use only movement/SotW, but keep your action to drive in a climbing piton or something to briefly anchor yourself and then repeat next turn?

Yeah Mercer had Beau make a Dex Sav at the end of each of her "turns" (they weren't in combat, but he was running it as such) to see if she could keep moving.

Just a monk running up a 300 foot wall seems silly...

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

Yeah Mercer had Beau make a Dex Sav at the end of each of her "turns" (they weren't in combat, but he was running it as such) to see if she could keep moving.

Just a monk running up a 300 foot wall seems silly...

well monks are a bit silly :D

So I may have been somewhat obsessively listening to campaign two over the last few months and I’m now caught up on the podcast (which makes me a week behind the show).

It’s been really good though, driving to work, strolling round Leeds at lunchtime, going for a run, doing the housework. All prime critical role listening opportunities. I don’t know what to do now I’ve caught up though, do I start campaign 1 and listen to that which’ll easily fill my hours or do I listen to something similar but different? The only other thing I know that’d be similar is High Rollers and purely because the guy was on crit role.

Any suggestions? I’ve listened to 1.5 episodes of campaign 1 and it’s not especially grabbing me right from the off in the same way.. googling suggests I may just need to give it time though?

Campaign 1 will let you know why some of them (LIAM!) Still active like they are Vox machina. It does start of slow but fucking hell it gets good

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alask said:

I don’t know what to do now I’ve caught up though, do I start campaign 1 and listen to that which’ll easily fill my hours or do I listen to something similar but different? The only other thing I know that’d be similar is High Rollers and purely because the guy was on crit role.

Any suggestions? I’ve listened to 1.5 episodes of campaign 1 and it’s not especially grabbing me right from the off in the same way.. googling suggests I may just need to give it time though?

Definitely stick with campaign 1.. it is a little rough round the edges at first and the first arc is a little patchy - though it definitely gets very intense by the time they get to the main threat..

After that it gets incredibly good.. I still prefer Campaign 1 over 2 by quite a bit.. It's a more traditional heroic campaign, but there's much more sense of family to VM.. the M9 are only just getting to the level we joined Campaign 1 at when the show began..

High Rollers (the first campaign - Lightfall) is definitely worth a look also. It's probably the closest to CR in spirit of those I've watched..

Mark is a great DM and his custom settings are very well crafted and while a couple of the cast take a while to get into character fully (none of them are actors and at least one hasn't been on camera much..) the others are great..

Their Campaign 2  (Aerois) I've struggled to get into - partially as none of the new characters grabbed me initially, but mostly as it clashed with the D&D game I play on Sunday evenings and i've just not had time to keep up with it.. I do really like the new setting though, it's very Skies of Arcadia..

I also have a soft spot for the 'Oxventures' an occasional D&D series from the Outside XBox/Outside Xtra channels.. These are much shorter (and hour and a half per adventure) and there's only about a dozen adventures so far. They play much more fast and loose with the rules (so if that will annoy you this isn't the show for you as it's pretty ridiculous) but I've found them very entertaining nonetheless.. It's become popular enough that they now have done several live games at EGX and some of the MCM comic shows..

• Upvote 1

First of the Kickstarter stretch goal games is coming soon

First of the new comic series hits (actual shops as well as digital) in about 4 weeks!

If anyone wants to meet Sam - he'll be at Wales Comic-Con  in December in the picturesque Welsh town of.. Telford?? EDIT, He's no longer attending.. 

And we may also be seeing WWE and gaming channel UpUpDowDown star Xavier Woods on CR before too long..

They subsequently all met up at E3

Never been to a comiccon.

If I buy a photoop does it have a specific time on it or is it a queue? and is there a way to get a time slot? I assume it is a production line of take pic and go not much chance to speak...

Also if they are doing photo ops does that mean they aren't doing autographs? is there a different queue for that? or timeslots? and does that give you a better chance to have a very brief word.

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Never been to a comiccon.

If I buy a photoop does it have a specific time on it or is it a queue? and is there a way to get a time slot? I assume it is a production line of take pic and go not much chance to speak...

Also if they are doing photo ops does that mean they aren't doing autographs? is there a different queue for that? or timeslots? and does that give you a better chance to have a very brief word.

It'll depend on how the event handles it.. 

For the photo sessions, there will likely be a specific timeslot you need to be queuing during.. You probably won't get a choice of a specific timeslot beyond which day it's on.. 

The time you get will depend on demand, they will want to move people through quickly if they sell a lot of tickets and they always seem to get behind schedule very fast.. I wouldn't count on getting much beyond a few sentences if it's a popular guest.

If be surprised if they weren't doing autographs also, again it will depend on the guest, how long they are there for and what panels/photo sessions they are doing.. Most will be signing autographs for at least a few hours a day though.. 

Autographs may just be joining a queue, but they may also be timeslotted (this doesn't necessarily mean they work any better.. the higher the demand the more quickly any schedule goes to hell..) 

You definitely get more time for a quick word during an autograph than a photo op, especially if you get more than one thing signed.. 

You usually have to pay per item signed even if it is something you have brought, otherwise they will have their own pics which are included in the price. 

Either way, I would expect to spend a fair while queuing.. 

Either that or set up a stall opposite hiring folding chairs.. :D

11 hours ago, MDY said:

It'll depend on how the event handles it.. 

For the photo sessions, there will likely be a specific timeslot you need to be queuing during.. You probably won't get a choice of a specific timeslot beyond which day it's on.. 

The time you get will depend on demand, they will want to move people through quickly if they sell a lot of tickets and they always seem to get behind schedule very fast.. I wouldn't count on getting much beyond a few sentences if it's a popular guest.

If be surprised if they weren't doing autographs also, again it will depend on the guest, how long they are there for and what panels/photo sessions they are doing.. Most will be signing autographs for at least a few hours a day though.. 

Autographs may just be joining a queue, but they may also be timeslotted (this doesn't necessarily mean they work any better.. the higher the demand the more quickly any schedule goes to hell..) 

You definitely get more time for a quick word during an autograph than a photo op, especially if you get more than one thing signed.. 

You usually have to pay per item signed even if it is something you have brought, otherwise they will have their own pics which are included in the price. 

Either way, I would expect to spend a fair while queuing.. 

Either that or set up a stall opposite hiring folding chairs.. :D

You should come to Gloucester ComiCon! No queues to meet Stars Wars Cantina BackGround Extra #24

10 minutes ago, Hexx said:

You should come to Gloucester ComiCon! No queues to meet Stars Wars Cantina BackGround Extra #24

Well yes, smaller events are usually lovely and you get much more chance to chat with people who aren't quite drawing those sorts of crowds..

London MCM last year was insane, they VASTLY underestimated the popularity of the CritRole cast.. The autograph queue slots were running HOURS late, the panel hall couldn't even accommodate half the people queuing up on both Sat & Sun, which only the top billing guests usually come close to filling..

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

There is a Gloucester comicon?!? 

The cast panel at Denver Pop Culture Con.. 

A quick look back on the first anniversary of the new studio.. 

This weeks Talks and MAME Drop..

The second stretch goal game will be on (very) late tonight, VOD tomorrow and should hit Youtube midweek sometime..

Didn't get a notification these had shipped, so it was a nice surprise.. :D

2-vm.thumb.jpg.19a5d1e3389e28cfdba17b1ccbaca4c4.jpg

3-m9.thumb.jpg.79cd193b2e9f17baa1a43d4b1fcb8636.jpg

They've come out very nicely.. plenty of fine detail you can't really see in the pics.. :D

Vox Machina, having found their friend, now must escape Pandemonium in the second of the Kickstarter stretch goal games..

Looks like we may get a few more too.. :)

Spoiler

The next one-shot being a spontaneous idea at the end.. Vex and Percy renewing their vows with a (sure to be peaceful and quiet) 'destination wedding.'
Taliesin: "Oh my god they are those assholes, I'm so in!" :lol:

But no show next week (and I think Thrusday will be Ashley's last game before she goes back to New York..)

Hopefully they'll be filming her DM'd game before she has to go and finish filming Blindspot.. All being well, she should be back before Christmas..

Sam: <This week's D&D Beyond bit>

Matt:

Spoiler

MercerFacepalm.jpg.15e7b974e414a9debe6b639e96d5bce8.jpg

Fan artists:

Spoiler

D-5CFBXXsAE-yMb.jpg:large

The end of the episode though!! :blink2: :o

This weeks Talks is up on YouTube.. Remember no CR for a week while the cast and crew take a Short Rest and recover their HP...
Talks will be back to discuss this week's ep on 9th July with CR resuming on the 11th..

Episode 69!

After an exhausting dungeon crawl, the Nein confront their quarry.. What will this mean for Yasha?