Orko

Critical Role - The new campaign

17 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Episode 26 and campaign 1 spoilers

Spoiler

Matt already makes it more difficult to resurrect the characters than standard D&D - that's what the whole 'ritual' is for -  good RP or a meaningful offering lowering the difficulty class for that instance.. but every time someone 'dies' the overall difficulty class goes up if they die subsequently..

Even in vanilla 5e, there are ways to die that can't be fixed with anything short of the highest level spells.. and some circumstances where even that won't work..

And because Matt's ritual is heavily RP based, it can have lasting repercussions..

Will just say the Vax/raven thing IS significant..

Ashly/Keg is also Tiny Tina in Borderlands (and one of the writers for Adventure Time..)

Interesting, so now I'm curious what kind of check/roll he is making. And how he establishes a baseline pass number before modifiers come into play. So in "normal" D+D how does it work if it's "easier" (I've never played D+D, purely know about the rules based off Critical Role.

14 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Interesting, so now I'm curious what kind of check/roll he is making. And how he establishes a baseline pass number before modifiers come into play. So in "normal" D+D how does it work if it's "easier" (I've never played D+D, purely know about the rules based off Critical Role.

The system Matt uses is listed in the Tal'dorei campaign setting book.. can't recall the specifics offhand.. will look it up..

EDIT: Essentially:

Spoiler

Up to 3 players contribute via RP and a skill check..

The type of check asked for depends on what contribution a character makes.. e.g appealing to a god may be a Religion check, heartfelt words may be a Charisma roll.. A personal sacrifice by another player (material, emotional) may merely succeed if it's good enough..

The skill check Difficulty Class is whatever the DM reckons is reasonable, depending on how meaningful the contribution has been..  (& may offer advantage or disadvantage, again depending on the RP..)

Each of the 3 checks lowers the resurrection Difficulty Class (base DC is 10).. Successful checks lower the DC by 2 or 3*, failed checks raise it by 1..

After the 3 offerings, the DM rolls a D20, no modifiers - if he meets or exceeds the DC, the ritual succeeds..

Each resurrection the character undergoes raises the DC by 1 or 2*

*Depending on DM generosity/cruelty :D

Unless the DM implements their own rule, death in D&D can just be a simple matter of casting the right spell.. There's no flavour or ritual to it.. Most of the higher spells take an hour to cast, but that's about it..

There are essentially 5 spells to counteract death..

Spoiler

Revivify (Level 3 spell - accessible for an appropriate class at Character level 5) - brings someone back who had been dead less than a minute.. usually an in combat casting to save someone.. Essentially a magical defibrillator.. Consumes a 300gp gem..

Raise Dead (Level 5 spell - Char Lv 9) Brings someone back who has been dead up to 10 days.. Consumes a 500gp gem.. Character has -4 penalty to attacks, saves etc for first day after, -3 the next day etc..

Requires the body to be whole.. else it fails..

Reincarnate (Lv5 spell, Lv9 Char) Only needs a piece of someone killed in the last 10 days, as it creates a new body for their soul, but which may be a completely different race as what they get is based on a dice roll..

Resurrection (Lv7 spell, Lv13 Char) Returns someone killed in the last 100 years. Does need the body, and costs a 1000gp gem, has the same penalties as Raise Dead..

Above that is True Resurrection which doesn't require the body works up to 200 years after death, but costs 25000gp in gems and is a Lv9 spell, level 17 Char..

All these spells require the soul to be willing and free to return.. or it's not free, them only a Wish spell (the most powerful magic in D&D) can force them back..

• Upvote 1

My only criticism of Matt's style is that he can get too emotionally involved in the story (understandably) and that can lead to him pulling his punches. I have seen him switch a monster's attacks or action to avoid downing a character or killing them. In this campaign I have seen him switch targets when a PC is nearly down and you can almost see him think it over and switch. In campaign 1 this was rarer as they were more powerful. One specific example (early spoiler for Briarwoods campaign 1).

Vax's encounter with Briarwoods where he was in the room with them. I discussed this encounter with another DM and he pointed out that Matt let Vax off, Vax should have been dead but Matt pulled punches that they could've done. He played out the encounter with me  and it made sense that Vax was dead, there was no real way out of that and in one round it was pretty blatant. I respect that DM and couldn't see fault with his logic, and that DM stopped watching CR right then as he said there was no point if the DM was letting characters off as D&D is about a shared story but characters can die.

Obviously those characters may have have come back through resurrection (altho in the spoiler example there would have been no chance at their level).

spoiler for ep 26 on campaign 2

It is interesting that this death was less nailed on than Vax's was. I'm not saying it was preplanned or anything daft like that but I think it became to be a good servant to the campaign story and  so Matt let it happen.

similarly letting keg go was contrived

To be honest every campaign whether pre-written or not is under the guidance of one person. That person may make mistakes or you may see the cracks in the campaign sometimes or spot wobbles. It is not a huge surprise that even Matt's campaign occasionally wavers. The RLLmuk campaign has certainly wavered and wobbled at points along the way but it still rumbles on!

Same - really looking forward to seeing them.. it's not like they'll be over here that often.. :wub:

(Plus.. might be able to get some merch without the extortionate shipping costs!)

9 minutes ago, Hexx said:

No Travis? :(

Unfortunately not.. They probably don't want to be taking the baby on a long-haul flight just yet..

Episode 28

Guests are once again Ashly Birch and Sumalee Montano (who has been especially wonderful!)

Spoiler

Matt <resigned sigh> "Roll for reacharound.." :lol:

Spoiler

Hey Phil? Phil!

Spoiler

Couple of other streaming bits coming up:

https://critrole.com/matthews-fireside-chat-marishas-honey-heist-2-details/

A livestream Q&A with Matt, where the community will contribute to build a new NPC..  (Tues 7th Aug @ 5pm Pacific/Weds 8th @ 1am UK)

http://twitch.tv/criticalrole

..and Marisha is running another one-shot, a sequel to the very fun Honey Heist that was on between campaigns..

Honey Heist 2: Electric Beargaloo will be on Fri August 10th @ 7pm Pacific (Sat August 11th @ 3AM UK..)

http://twitch.tv/criticalrole

Reminder there is no Critical Role until Friday evening (US or early Saturday over here) this week, as the episode is going to be streamed live from GenCon..

They've got a booth there too, modelled after Pumat Sol's shop..

Matt DM-ing a one shot for Terry Crews (inc Marisha, Taliesin, Ashly Burch, Troy Baker and Jessica Chobot..)

• Upvote 1

The GenCon live episode should be available tonight..

Remember what Sam wore for the last one? (spoiler for the last Campaign 1 live show only.. and possibly your eyes..)

Spoiler

DHnlCIGWAAIIIKo.jpg

..Yeah.. he's outdone himself..

Mercer has taken a level in troll also.. :lol:

Episdose 27, 28 and 29 spoiler discussion! (I've just caught up on all three over the past few days)

Spoiler

I'm really glad that Molly is dead and appears to be staying dead.  Primarily because FINALLY Taliesin appears to have a character that isn't creepy and trying to be all knowing and has just chilled the fuck out on all the me too stuff.  Marisha tried to push him into a check of the windows, and he simply replied,  "yeah, they look nice" and kept on keeping on.  I've already warmed to Caduceus Clay far more than Percy or Molly and I hope he keeps up the version of him that we seen in episode 28.  He could be a great character and I love that he's trying something different and it seems to be working. 

Sumalee Montana was wonderful as Nila and I can see her being to the Mighty Nein what Zahra was to Vox Machina.  Ashley Burch played Keg perfectly as well.  Is there any news of whether we will see more of her, or is that her guest stint over with?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rikku said:

Episdose 27, 28 and 29 spoiler discussion! (I've just caught up on all three over the past few days)

Hide contents

I'm really glad that Molly is dead and appears to be staying dead.  Primarily because FINALLY Taliesin appears to have a character that isn't creepy and trying to be all knowing and has just chilled the fuck out on all the me too stuff.  Marisha tried to push him into a check of the windows, and he simply replied,  "yeah, they look nice" and kept on keeping on.  I've already warmed to Caduceus Clay far more than Percy or Molly and I hope he keeps up the version of him that we seen in episode 28.  He could be a great character and I love that he's trying something different and it seems to be working. 

Sumalee Montana was wonderful as Nila and I can see her being to the Mighty Nein what Zahra was to Vox Machina.  Ashley Burch played Keg perfectly as well.  Is there any news of whether we will see more of her, or is that her guest stint over with?

Spoiler

I think Sumalee was only 'booked' (for want of a better word) for two episodes and Ashly for four.. so I think that's it for both of them for now.. 

(Seems reasonable to assume we'll have at least two returnees on Thursday..)

Sumalee seems to have LOVED playing and being on the show as much as the audience seem to have loved her, so I think she'll be back..

She'd built more of a character in half an episode than we saw of Keg across four.. (not that Ashly didn't do a great job, just that Sumalee was that good.. :wub:)

Clay seems pretty fun so far.. and the Grave Domain Cleric seems very geared to keeping your party alive.. something they definitely needed.. Should mean Laura is happier she's not just stuck healing people too..

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

Why is Sam dressed like that? The cube made (horrible, horrible) sense...

The cube did - the yellow Bruce Lee Game of Death leotard less so...

This one?? .. I got nothing.. :blink:

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

Why is Sam dressed like that? The cube made (horrible, horrible) sense...

Because Sam? :wub:  He wore it well. 

27/28/29 (minor last bit as I've not seen it but I know stuff :D)

Both guest actors where amazing (god I hate Chloe in LiS though...I'm not sure I get past it)

I think/hope they'll become recurring like Kresh and Zara say from Campaign 1.

The Bears are Back!

Liam, Taliesin, Sam, Matt & Brian play Honey Heist 2: Electric Beargaloo..

(Based on the one page RPG available here!)

Episode 30:

Spoiler

I went through at least ONE box of tissues within the first 30 minutes. :( 

"Why didn't you come?" was probably the most heartbreaking thing Jester has ever "sketched".

Episode 29

Caleb staggering around waiting for healing at the end was amazing. 

:sealclap:

So they weren't meant to kill Lorenzo yet then? Some new planning for Matt to come!