Orko

Critical Role - The new campaign

Kickstarter is live - and about to be fully funded..

EDIT - funded before I'd finished typing!

(Was for 20k - funded in <5 mins.. has hit 60k within 15!)

There's only one pledge level - besides the £10 'donation' - so you have to buy both the Vox Machina and Mighty Nein sets.. (since the extra figures are Kickstarter exclusives, it's safe to assume the 'party' sets will be available separately later..)

But both sets (all 22 minis) is a pledge of £45 (delivery costs will be set following production/final packaging, UK is expected to be ~£6) - much cheaper than I expected!

561c05b9ded05555dd3101c68787a340_origina

• Upvote 1

Backed. The minis look great but I'm not familiar with Steamforge's output quality. Could do without 4 Pumats though. Does Vax only have 2 daggers? :omg:

7 hours ago, Kzo said:

Backed. The minis look great but I'm not familiar with Steamforge's output quality. Could do without 4 Pumats though. Does Vax only have 2 daggers? :omg:

Vax is so quick he's already thrown one.. :D

Steamforged is supposedly very high quality..  The actual physical minis look just as detailed.. Total is currently 315K (15x the funding threshold..)

I suppose the extra Pumats are a bit daft, but hey.. even ignoring the 2 duplicates entirely, it's still only about £2.25 per mini.. can live with that.. :)

Was half expecting each party set to be more like £40+ each

Would quite like a follow-up set with some choice NPCs etc - Gilmore, Alura, Kima, the Briarwoods, Hotis etc.. Viktor(!).. but definitely Zara and Kashaw!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MDY said:

Vax is so quick he's already thrown one.. :D

Steamforged is supposedly very high quality..  The actual physical minis look just as detailed.. Total is currently 315K (15x the funding threshold..)

I suppose the extra Pumats are a bit daft, but hey.. even ignoring the 2 duplicates entirely, it's still only about £2.25 per mini.. can live with that.. :)

Was half expecting each party set to be more like £40+ each

Would quite like a follow-up set with some choice NPCs etc - Gilmore, Alura, Kima, the Briarwoods, Hotis etc.. Viktor(!).. but definitely Zara and Kashaw!

They could get quite a few sets out of this. Either do them by story arcs or ally/villain sets. Clarota!

I hope they bow the the comments pressure and add a DM Mercer mini.

Tiberius would be great too.

Episode 25 Spoilers. 

Spoiler

Kiri :( Am very glad she has a new family but I’m really going to miss her.  I cried good and proper when she was saying her goodbyes and the little musical box was playing.

Matthew Mercer is such an amazing story teller and never fails to surprise me and the Critter community so very talented.

I can’t imagine how the next couple of episodes are going to go.  No Kiri, no Yasha and no Jester / Fjord. :( 

Also, those minis are amazing, I really want a set to proxy in for board games. 

• Upvote 1

Well, it's about as good an excuse for missing a few(?) games as any.. :D

No CR next week as they move into the new studio anyway.. 

• Upvote 1

Episode 25

Spoiler

Well this certainly changes things.. at least for a while.. We have at least one guest when the show resumes (on 12th July..)

Kinda hoping for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn & Will Friedel - they're as close to honorary members of the cast as any..

(Though Patrick Rothfuss is guesting on the comic book show Taliesin co-hosts on Geek & Sundry the day before...:sherlock:)

No CR today as they're still in the process of moving studios..

However they have announced guests for the next two games..

Next week they'll be joined by Ashley Burch (Life is Strange, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hey Ash, Watcha Playing?) again..

Ashley has previously done three CR one-shots as Piglet in the All Goblin Special, Dren in The Screw Job and Clothesline in Sam's Bar Room Blitz

In two weeks we have new guest, voice actress Sumalee Montano (Transformers Prime, Nashville, Veep, KotOR)

If anyone is in severe RPG stream withdrawl, recent guest Mark Hulmes began DM-ing his second High Rollers campaign this week - set in a new (very Skies of Arcadia) original world of floating islands and skyships..

Spoiler

In other news, the kickstarter for the Miniatures has hit the million dollar mark and is still going.. ($1,115,000 currently)

It does finish this evening, so it's your last chance to pledge.. (if you're awaiting payday you can pledge for £1 and increase it later and still get the exclusive minis..)

EDIT $1,205,668/£908,525 by the end... (Not including people adding to their pledges for additional sets or upping it from a low pledge to get a set of minis..!)

LOL - the following happened overnight..

There was an announcement following the conclusion of the Kickstarter that there would be another mini available... a Raven Queen Champion Vax..

9rMnnESBQ4SANTJe1i8f_CR-GenCon-Vax.png

..but that it was a limited edition you could only get if you preorder and then collect it at GenCon..

..a good portion of the community were... ~annoyed~ by this..

..and the upshot is that it is now up for preorder for anyone who wants one for worldwide delivery..

https://store-uk.steamforged.com/collections/gencon/products/limited-edition-vaxildan

(It is costly for a single mini though.. £9 + £3 shipping..)

I couldn't find the option to pledge the £1 to back, did you pre-order @MDY

I'm fairly happy with the guest announcements, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we aren't seeing a return of an old and familiar guest though.  (Episode 25 spoilers and thoughts on campaign direction)

Spoiler

I feel that a familiar guest would have lessened the blow of losing my beloved Jester!  Don't get me wrong, super happy for them to have baby Ronin arrive all healthy and cute and stuff, but Jester! Fjord! Kiri! Yasha!

I still don't connect very well with Marisha and in particular Taliesin, so essentially I'll be tuning in to watch Liam and Sam and a guest continue the campaign.  Storywise, Beau lost her shit when her gold was stolen.  She pretty much table flipped.  At the start of the next episode, she's going to realise her friends have been stolen.  Due to Yasha rolling pretty well, there will be evidence of a struggle.  The players know that it's due to babies and filming, and we the audience know that it's due to babies and filming.  As far as I'm aware we have no idea how long Travis or Laura or Ashley are going to be away, but I'm sure Matt will be able to stagger their returns accordingly.  I can't see him allowing the players to follow a kidnapping thread that couldn't possibly yield any results?  It'll be interesting, but I'm just slightly concerned how they are going to pull it off.  We obviously seen quite a bit of meta in the last episode, so maybe that will continue with apologetic nods from the cast.

On 07/07/2018 at 11:18, Rikku said:

I couldn't find the option to pledge the £1 to back, did you pre-order @MDY

I'm fairly happy with the guest announcements, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we aren't seeing a return of an old and familiar guest though.  (Episode 25 spoilers and thoughts on campaign direction)

Hide contents

I feel that a familiar guest would have lessened the blow of losing my beloved Jester!  Don't get me wrong, super happy for them to have baby Ronin arrive all healthy and cute and stuff, but Jester! Fjord! Kiri! Yasha!

I still don't connect very well with Marisha and in particular Taliesin, so essentially I'll be tuning in to watch Liam and Sam and a guest continue the campaign.  Storywise, Beau lost her shit when her gold was stolen.  She pretty much table flipped.  At the start of the next episode, she's going to realise her friends have been stolen.  Due to Yasha rolling pretty well, there will be evidence of a struggle.  The players know that it's due to babies and filming, and we the audience know that it's due to babies and filming.  As far as I'm aware we have no idea how long Travis or Laura or Ashley are going to be away, but I'm sure Matt will be able to stagger their returns accordingly.  I can't see him allowing the players to follow a kidnapping thread that couldn't possibly yield any results?  It'll be interesting, but I'm just slightly concerned how they are going to pull it off.  We obviously seen quite a bit of meta in the last episode, so maybe that will continue with apologetic nods from the cast.

They said you could just back the campaign for £1, but as I just did the whole thing as the page went live I'm not sure how that worked..

You can still get the whole set as there are 'late preorders' for a limited time.. but it's probably works like a straight store purchase now..

https://store-uk.steamforged.com/products/late-pledge-critical-role

I suppose they work with so many voice actors that have shown interest, that getting people back on who have been on several times before seems unfair (plus maybe their schedules don't allow for it either!).. though they have a chance to get through a few new faces over the upcoming weeks while they have 3 absences..

Spoiler

Losing the three (four!) in one go changes things a lot.. 

Even having one player character leave the campaign can be weird in the storytelling sense.. they just disappear.. so no matter how intently your characters go looking for them, the players know there's no chance of finding them (cough, cough Cora!)  ;)

I'm sure Matt will cope.. :D Presumeably the trail will lead in the direction they were headed already.. but then will (have to) go cold completely..

The Nein have still only had a few weeks together, it shouldn't feel ~too~ unrealistic if they search for a bit to no avail, before moving on to complete a task that will net them a good amount of money..)

I'm liking Beau TBH, but my favourite interaction is her stuff with Fjord trying to kerb her 'assholishness' - will be sad to lose that for a while..

But you never know - it might mean we flesh out the others a bit - Molly unfortunately barely feels like a character yet - Taliesin still seems to be struggling to find his voice (and especially the accent).. he'd clearly been floundering a bit in combat too.. but he stepped up a bit in the last fight or so, so maybe a smaller party will help sort that..?

Whoever the guests are playing - better hope they have ~some~ healing ability.. :unsure:

the new twist stuff

I don't see a massive issue here. DM can do one of two things

1) Make their kidnap part of a "big bad" story line possibly the one hinted at with people going missing up north. This big bad arc could easily last a couple of months

2) Let them search - make it a mini-arc or just a couple of sessions then let the trail go cold so characters have no leads - and DM can then add in new distractions which might or might not be new leads and they follow their noses

Both the above would work just fine and allow you to reintroduce those characters when they are ready to come back. With enough notice he can wind the arc back to them OR end the big bad arc that leads them to the characters.

it can feel meta-gamey but not if handled correctly. When Cora left our campaign I let the party chase her trail around the world and would have continued to do so if they hadn't given up and in the end there are ways to then bring it back to the campaign

Yeah bit worried about the new mix - but I am liking Beau/Mishra more this campaign (other than moments last time whinging about bad results as a Monk)

Molly I think is badly made and played - which comes through. 

Glass Canon is meant to be it - but it's just Glass without the Canon. Duel Wield seems silly for Blood Knight (as it's a BA to activate a rite, so 2 turns to get ready...fights only seem to last 2-3...not sure why he doesn't activate before) and the range cantrip he loves (and given name MollyMock I expect wanted to be a feature) is an off stat...and there's strong competition for stats. Given he's glass he seems reluctant to run in, but then neuters self. (According to Reddit Molly is 300 damage behind Nott/Beau/Ford individually) - but then as anyone who's seen my Fighter play knows, I don't play it safe and will always run towards danger/stupidity :D

Like...what are you using them for?

Just nice display pieces or are you using in some sort of game somehow

On 12/07/2018 at 12:22, Hexx said:

Like...what are you using them for?

Just nice display pieces or are you using in some sort of game somehow

Probably just display, will probably paint them up eventually..

Plus it'll be nice to have some merch finally that didn't feel like it was way overpriced due to shipping..

Todays ep (#26).. :o

Spoiler

Yep.. losing the others has made ~quite~ the difference...

Episode 25:

Kinda surprised Matt didn't use the dodecahedron as a reason for the party to get ambushed, I.e. the baddies coming to retrieve it. I guess he has bigger plans in mind for that with his story arc. To be honest he has a hard job dealing with all these last minute departures, so I guess he's stuck in some improv without damaging the main story he's planned out. It would have been cool though if Yasha had stolen the dodecahedron as a plot device.

At least Nott and Kaleb are still in, I'll miss Jester a lot. Beau and Molly annoy me, Talesin's character really has no character and Beau just makes me cringe, although the trying not to be an arse can be kinda amusing. 

They've had good guests in the past so it would be cool if they can bring some in for extended weeks so it's not a constantly fluctuating party.

I guess Laura will be off Critical Role for good for a long time, maybe Travis too. They might need to add some new permanent members to keep the dynamic interesting.

5 hours ago, MDY said:

Probably just display, will probably paint them up eventually..

Plus it'll be nice to have some merch finally that didn't feel like it was way overpriced due to shipping..

Todays ep (#26).. :o

Reveal hidden contents

Yep.. losing the others has made ~quite~ the difference...

And now your miniature set comes with a collectors piece :P

Episode 26

Spoiler

Oops!

Side note.. noticeably improvement in the picture quality.. new studio, new cameras & lighting equipment.. biggest improvement.. new overhead and panning cameras for battle maps..

Ep 26 and campaign one spoilers

Spoiler

One of the weaknesses of the first campaign was the gradual loss of drama as they seemingly could reverse any death (Another great turn from Sam was flipping one of those resurrections into some actual drama). I hope he stays dead (and not because he's one of the lesser formed characters), it definitely ups the tension when you believe that a character developed over many weeks or months might suddenly be lost.

3 hours ago, RobNoyce said:

Ep 26 and campaign one spoilers

Hide contents

One of the weaknesses of the first campaign was the gradual loss of drama as they seemingly could reverse any death (Another great turn from Sam was flipping one of those resurrections into some actual drama). I hope he stays dead (and not because he's one of the lesser formed characters), it definitely ups the tension when you believe that a character developed over many weeks or months might suddenly be lost.

Spoiler

Agreed, it certainly establishes a good villain for the Nein going forward.
While it means that backstory may never play out, there's a fair chance Matt will be able to weave something in there to provide some answers..

The remaining few are in a really dire situation though, with almost no chance of successfully freeing the others yet and an even worse chance of being able to find a powerful enough caster to bring someone back.. They're even going to struggle to complete their current task.. Which won't sit well with their employer.

I'm kinda hoping when Travis and Laura (and possibly Ashley if it lines up) are ready to return, that we have a few sessions without the rest (with maybe a guest or two) so we get to see their side of what happened to them..

6 hours ago, MDY said:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed, it certainly establishes a good villain for the Nein going forward.
While it means that backstory may never play out, there's a fair chance Matt will be able to weave something in there to provide some answers..

The remaining few are in a really dire situation though, with almost no chance of successfully freeing the others yet and an even worse chance of being able to find a powerful enough caster to bring someone back.. They're even going to struggle to complete their current task.. Which won't sit well with their employer.

I'm kinda hoping when Travis and Laura (and possibly Ashley if it lines up) are ready to return, that we have a few sessions without the rest (with maybe a guest or two) so we get to see their side of what happened to them..

Spoiler

Yes, it would be great to see the others story played with just them, maybe like when they split into two parties for the Slayers take initiation as a way to bring the party back together (if the others are still alive!).

I do appreciate how mindful Matt is of creating interesting drama and letting the story continue as that was so clearly turning into a total party wipe. If I had to choose one of them to be offed in honesty it would have been Molly (particularly this episode where he tries to snatch Notts gun totally not because Sam did the same to him in the first campaign)

Doh - I meant 27.. today's episode..

Spoiler

image.png.fe33611e060aa4e88c71968824b31bc9.png

Loving Sumalee's character already..

Marisha is knocking it out of the park too..

I thought (ep 26. And actually ep 26 :P) Ashley what's her face was pretty good.

Maybe I shouldn't just irrationally transfer my hatred for Chloe from LiS onto her voice actor? 

On 20/07/2018 at 08:59, MDY said:

Ep 26 (No spoilers)

Only just past the intro and Sam is on top trolling form tonight! :lol:

Watched episode 27 start due to this. 

Hes just a troll in human form :lol:

Episode 27

Guests are Sumalee Montano and Ashly Burch..

Confirmation at SDCC that there will be a new run of the Vox Machina Origins comic, which will introduce Pike and Percy and begin to recount the actual start of the home campaign..

New merch detailed too, the full Wildemount map, new dice, t-shirts & character busts on the way..

https://critrole.com/2018-gen-con-merch-announcement/

Episode 26 and campaign 1 spoilers

Accidentally read the spoilers beforehand so knew someone was gonna snuff it. No problem, didn't like Molly anyway. But I'm also still working my way through Campaign 1 (up to nearly episode 50) and you're totally right, there's almost no tension as it's so hard for characters to truly die.

The closest so far was in the Briarwood battle where Vex fell unconcious in the no magic zone, even then plenty of people in video comments said "oh there's like 3 ways to make her survive even in that situtation". Most recently Vex again fell to a necromantic trap and they just did a ritual to ressurrect her. There's so many spells and options to revive characters, it makes for boring combat and deadly situations. Especially with so many members of the party each with a multitude of abilities to get out of almost any situation. From what I hear, someone or some people do eventually die in campaign 1 (please don't confirm or deny), and if so I look forward to that day! 

So it's a bit of fresh air to have a character actually die in campaign 2, the stakes are real and now there's a feeling of trepidation that you know poor decisions can mean death. I'm not surprised D+D has so many ressurect possibilities due to long running campaigns and attachments to characters but I think it's way too generous. At least if characters are ressurrected there should be major repurcussions afterwards - the Vax raven thing is a nice touch but doesn't seem to be a big penalty right now. Heck, Jester already has a revive spell in campaign 2!

I realise this is a rant but I guess its my game design background interfering with the role play "lets just have fun" aspect of it.

Otherwise in ep 26 I thought Keg was good and Nott and her bounced off each other perfectly. If Nott dies I really will be gutted, although you know whatever character Sam Reigel runs its gonna be funny. Does anyone know what stuff Keg's actress has done before?