IGNORED

Critical Role - Campaign 2 “The Mighty Nein” - now concluded!

Doctor Shark

Just now, MDY said:

Guessing it was just an error - getting ~40 damage on a save is a bit OP..

They’ve done it several episodes in a row hence curious (I’m still on rumblecusp).

It does suck to have a ‘do or miss’ spell at a level 5 slot but potential damage is meant to make it worth it

35 minutes ago, Hexx said:

They’ve done it several episodes in a row hence curious (I’m still on rumblecusp).

It does suck to have a ‘do or miss’ spell at a level 5 slot but potential damage is meant to make it worth it

That is odd.. it's supposed to be a save or suck spell as it is whopping damage + potential instadeath when it lands.. (and why it's a save rather than an attack roll as a Crit would ~really~ ruin someone's day..)

Episode 117

Hard choices await the Mighty Nein, who must decide whether to follow the current path of their former friend or deviate and forge a new one...

Kickstarter update/ Sam explains the development process for the animated series.. 

and lastly.. the Golden Joystick awards this year were remote-hosted by Laura and Travis!

GJA2020-TWLB.jpg.e64b289071e32ba539055dc88ad11e97.jpg

Youtube link only as it's age restricted so has to be watched there..

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2020 at 08:53, MDY said:

Episode 110

The Nein have a delighful dinner with the man responsible for Caleb's trauma..

Between Calen's overwraught backstory and Cadues trying to force the plot I'm finding this really hard going....

On 06/12/2020 at 12:45, Hexx said:

Between Calen's overwraught backstory and Cadues trying to force the plot I'm finding this really hard going....

Didn't bother me, but that is soon put aside.. 

Episode 118

The Nein race through the frozen wastes to beat their rivals to the next site. Jester takes a risk to gain new insight.. But it comes with a cost.. 

2 hours ago, MDY said:

Didn't bother me, but that is soon put aside.. 

Spoiler

Liam's characters being OTT grimdark is just his constant choice. It's just not engaging for me, someone needs to explain to him less is more sometimes. It's not complex, it's just boringly OTT that you switch off from. He started to get that way towards the end of season 1.

It really irked me as Percy in Campaign 1, Molly, and it's really irking me now. The desire to be the "knowing" one - even when it doesn't match the story or events going on around him (or amusingly often his own backstory)

Normally thrown in with an obviously preprepared line or saying. I don't think it helps that TJ is obviously one of the least creative there - at least when it comes to adaptive moments/improv.

Compare "Pain doesn't make people. It's love that makes people" spiel from him - nice saying, but which doesn't fit with a lot of events to date - nor the dinner discussion.

The entire dinner table was largely interesting - because of their reactions/interactions to what Trent was saying/doing. Reacting to the conversation and effectively supporting Caleb and calling out Trent on the fly. (Thank God Travis gets to play a smarter character this time). Then at end we get a minute's "I'm going to tell you what I think of you" speech prepared before dinner where the broad strokes could have been predicted (although I suspect it would have been said regardless)

I had a quick poke about afterwards - can't seem many share my opinion. There's a fair bit of complete gushing over that gumph - when there were dozens of little better character moments at the dinner that were far more effective and timely. I'll never get this fandom. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2020 at 20:09, MDY said:

Episode 113

(Just realised we're about to overtake Campaign 1 in number of episodes!!) 

The Nein enter a fierce battle and a desperate chase on their way to Eiselcross.. 

Since @Clipper mentioned it previously this was the first time I felt the story was being "driven" by Matt.

The necklace being out and easily identifiable/dispelled, incapacitated/grapple interactions, the mistake over counterspell her...there was a lot going on in the game so possible mistakes (And loads made some - but they generally always make spell mistakes in their favour, there was a lot of people getting lucky about areas they couldn't see though) but it felt like an outcome was being pushed by the DM.

On 14/01/2021 at 18:57, Hexx said:

Since @Clipper mentioned it previously this was the first time I felt the story was being "driven" by Matt.

The necklace being out and easily identifiable/dispelled, incapacitated/grapple interactions, the mistake over counterspell her...there was a lot going on in the game so possible mistakes (And loads made some - but they generally always make spell mistakes in their favour, there was a lot of people getting lucky about areas they couldn't see though) but it felt like an outcome was being pushed by the DM.

Oh he's definitely been trying to push it for a while now, but he is still very lax at letting them do what they want to do. We’re getting quite tired of them abusing polymorph to get themselves out of fights and 

Episode 121 spoiler

Spoiler

Cheered when he had Molly shut that shit down by dispelling them during that last fight.

abusing polymorph? They are just using it, I didn't spot any rule breaches on that. Polymorph is a powerful spell and can create issues for any DM as it does give instant mobility and fly to characters. Some spell casters use it a lot as it is a really good tactic but I wouldn't call it abuse unless it is breaking rules and I haven't seen any of that.

Giving your "bad guy"

Spoiler

an anti-magic ability he can use at will with no penalty

on the other hand is a bit OP :D

10 hours ago, Clipper said:

abusing polymorph? They are just using it, I didn't spot any rule breaches on that. Polymorph is a powerful spell and can create issues for any DM as it does give instant mobility and fly to characters. Some spell casters use it a lot as it is a really good tactic but I wouldn't call it abuse unless it is breaking rules and I haven't seen any of that

They've done an odd thing before I think where they use the new forms Con mod, but still their Warcaster feat. (If they remember concentration which is unlikely :P)

The bigger think is they still get ability checks and saving throws wrong. Rarely a combat issue though

On 02/11/2020 at 22:19, MDY said:

Episode 114

The Nein get prepared to set out across the frozen wastes.. But have they underestimated an old acquaintance? 

Still some way behind but it was embarrassing to not realise what was happening upstairs