rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I heard (somewhere, can't recall) that the Switch version is much more faithful to the last-gen version and is very much a port rather than a remaster. I'm not particularly convinced by some of the changes to the PS4 version, to be honest, especially the armour textures which seem weirdly flat. Why would they do that? :S

Anyway, on a positive note, I really enjoyed the Taurus Demon's new fur. He reminded me of that cute giant bee puzzle in Super Mario Galaxy. I'd love to clamber around his fuzzy bits with my glowing tracer. 

• Upvote 1

I suppose they are leading with the version that is available on the platform most likely to sell the most copies, they didn't lead coverage with the PC or Xbox One X version, both of which should do 4K native either.

2 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I heard (somewhere, can't recall) that the Switch version is much more faithful to the last-gen version and is very much a port rather than a remaster. I'm not particularly convinced by some of the changes to the PS4 version, to be honest, especially the armour textures which seem weirdly flat. Why would they do that? :S

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, the life of a dev doing a remaster :P

I'd be very very happy if the Switch version were simply the 360 version with a more solid framerate. I'll take the upres but I don't even need it.

I'm the worst consumer. I'll get what I'm given and eat it all up. 

What's the difference between a port and a remaster? I'm not sure I get what a remaster is at all, unless they actually are making a new master recording from the original audio tracks.

5 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I suppose they are leading with the version that is available on the platform most likely to sell the most copies

PS4 Pro?

I think they are just leading with the version they've been allowed to see, nothing more than that - because if not, then surely the bigger number of folks would be wanting to see how the vanilla PS4 version stacked up.

EDIT: Or, looking at the results of the poll above, the Switch version. If they can hit a steady 30fps, I think the idea of decent portable DS is more appealing in terms of a double-dip than a more standard 60fps update.

10 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

What's the difference between a port and a remaster? I'm not sure I get what a remaster is at all, unless they actually are making a new master recording from the original audio tracks.

A port would be a literal copy of the original, no artwork changes, a typical PC port of a current gen console game for example. This is a remaster as they've made art changes. A remake, something like Kiwami is on a whole nother level of effort, and those are quite obvious.

A remaster is a straightforward upscale job - maybe some lighting changes and maybe some better textures if they're already lying around available from, say, the pc version.

A remake involves actually remaking the game. Native English speakers shouldn't get confused about this, yet you see a lot of people thinking a remaster would also involve engine changes, brand new models and other newly created assets, newly created content etc. 

A port is just copy-pasting the game as is from one platform to another. Any advantages resulting from increased power on that other platform, such as better framerates, are kinda 'free benefits' of that platform.

Dark Souls Remastered was announced as a remaster, and Bamco never said otherwise.

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, rgraves said:

PS4 Pro?

I think they are just leading with the version they've been allowed to see, nothing more than that - because if not, then surely the bigger number of folks would be wanting to see how the vanilla PS4 version stacked up.

EDIT: Or, looking at the results of the poll above, the Switch version. If they can hit a steady 30fps, I think the idea of decent portable DS is more appealing in terms of a double-dip than a more standard 60fps update.

They are primarily showing the PlayStation platform version, using the Pro because it's the best version on that platform, it'd be no different to showing the PC version on the most expensive PC going or using the X1X if showing Xbox games.

I also don't know why people always insist on viewing remakes/remasters solely through the lens of somebody who has already bought the original, this isn't anymore true for film/music remakes/remasters as it would be for game remakes/remasters. The original Dark Souls didn't sell 10 Million+ copies the last time I looked so plenty of new people out there who could be enticed into buying it.

19 minutes ago, mushashi said:

They are primarily showing the PlayStation platform version, using the Pro because it's the best version on that platform, it'd be no different to showing the PC version on the most expensive PC going or using the X1X if showing Xbox games.

Don't disagree with any of that from the developer/publisher end - but for consumer news outlets (such as the likes of Digital Foundry), the vast majority of people are not, I suspect, looking for PS4 Pro impressions really. If I had to guess, the stuff people are really wanting to see is the vanilla PS4 or Switch.

I understand they are just showing what they have been given access to (it's not anything to do with sales potential which you seemed to suggest earlier), I'm just noting that it's not really the stuff I think most people are wanting to see.

Coolcongo got it - and he came back with the info that was needed - we'll see more on the Switch version from tomorrow hopefully.

That new PC version looks weirdly flat and lifeless. I think I'll stick with DSfix on there and get the Switch version.

• Upvote 1

A big motivator for my inevitable double dip is that the online will be mega busy on PS4.   I want to be there this time!   Swithc will mainly be my solo playthroughs. :D 

Gonna be so mega for online japes. 

• Upvote 4

I'm getting the PS4 version for no other reason than jolly co op with a really good friend. Will pick up the switch version later for travel souls.

• Upvote 1

Having watched the DF video, I'm definitely in. It's exactly what I realistically expected; 60fps Dark Souls on console. Looking forward to playing through it again :D

:lol:

That's not a real trailer, in case anyone was actually confused.  Dave Klein is a long time Souls videomakerdude. 

• Upvote 1

First episode of my Absolute Beginner's Guide is very nearly complete!  Shall be sharing later, hopefully!

One thing I noticed during working on it, the music on the remaster trailer is actually from the very first Dark Souls trailer.. in 2011! :lol:

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, robdood said:

I can believe how many hours it took to make a 6 minute video... 

Excellent work there. Keep up that quality and I think you'll have a very successful series. Best of luck with it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robdood said:

I can believe how many hours it took to make a 6 minute video... 

Too much enthusiasm.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Wait... "ambigwity?"

I know, it wasn't until a couple of days later, while editing, that I noticed.  That was the best take. :D

(I'd already re-recorded the whole thing three times before...)

Nice video @robdood! I came for ambigwitty, and stayed for the great content.

I’ve never played any of these games, but that makes me interested when it’s on Switch.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

I’ve never played any of these games, but that makes me interested when it’s on Switch.

You've never played a Souls game? Oh man you are in for a treat. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Try demon souls, it’s the best of them all.