Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

339 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jesus Christ, that Tomb of the Giants is the most bullshit section I have ever experienced in a game. The bonfire being an absolute mile from the boss and the very difficult treck to get to the boss nearly had me giving up. Still I managed to get through it and beat the big lord dude. 

Now at the Dukes Castle and working through. 

I'm enjoying the game but it's no masterpiece like some make out. There are so many stupid design decisions that I'm surprised it gets the love it gets. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Jesus Christ, that Tomb of the Giants is the most bullshit section I have ever experienced in a game. The bonfire being an absolute mile from the boss and the very difficult treck to get to the boss nearly had me giving up. Still I managed to get through it and beat the big lord dude. 

I'm enjoying the game but it's no masterpiece like some make out. There are so many stupid design decisions that I'm surprised it gets the love it gets. 

When you know it, you can just leg it past most stuff. Oh, and double hand a massive sword and roll out of everything. 

2 hours ago, Ry said:

You know what's really hilarious? Managing against the odds to get down there earlier in the game. Without the Lord vessel you are greeted by an orange sealed door. And then, you have to go back up... 

9 hours ago, Sane said:

You know what's really hilarious? Managing against the odds to get down there earlier in the game. Without the Lord vessel you are greeted by an orange sealed door. And then, you have to go back up... 

That would have been quitting time for me. 🤣

14 hours ago, Ry said:

If something is too difficult or unfair in this game it's usually trying to tell you something.

In this case, you've missed a plotline/quest item which makes Tomb of the Giants a lot easier. It's obscure as fuck and I couldn't have figured it out myself, but it is there.

Spoiler

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Sunlight_Maggot

The Sunlight Maggot emanates light when worn as a helmet, making it useful for exploring dark areas such as the Tomb of the Giants.

I wouldn’t say I “figured that out for myself”, but I did follow that lad’s quest line all the way through because why wouldn’t you, and ended up reaping the benefits by the time I got to Tha Tombz 😎 That it all paid off in there was an unexpected bonus. I didn’t really even appreciate at the time going through the place that it was such a massive help.

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Reading that wiki, I didn’t realise it was possible to prevent…

Reveal hidden contents

… Solaire from sticking his head up its arse and going tonto. Wow. I thought that was just the tragic end to his tale.

Yeah and sufficiently obscure too :D

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

If something is too difficult or unfair in this game it's usually trying to tell you something.

In this case, you've missed a plotline/quest item which makes Tomb of the Giants a lot easier. It's obscure as fuck and I couldn't have figured it out myself, but it is there.

Hide contents

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Sunlight_Maggot

The Sunlight Maggot emanates light when worn as a helmet, making it useful for exploring dark areas such as the Tomb of the Giants.

I didn't miss that.plus I was kind kicked down a hole by a dude and got two lanterns. It being dark wasn't the biggest issue. 

It's the level design that bothers me most. 

Just beat the big dragon under dukes archives and making my way through the big lava section. But I ha e been everywhere and don't have a clue what to do next. 

I've to kill a bunch of big bosses. Killed two so far. 

@Ry

Posted 3 hours ago

I've to kill a bunch of big bosses. Killed two so far. 

Posted 8 minutes ago

You did Bed of Chaos, Four Kings, and Gwyn in three hours?

I think the time between those posts was about how long I spent trying to beat Gwyn alone. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Seeing this bumped reminds me I need to get back and complete this on switch. I absolutely loved it. Was funny playing through Blight Town which had a reputation for low frame rates etc and finding it smooth as butter.

I can see how awful it would have been with performance issues though.

I played Dark Souls unpatched on 360 for at least a couple of runs. I never found the Blight Town frame rate much of a problem. 

The point where you kick the ladder down in New Londo Ruins actually sees frames stop for a moment, but even that just became part of playing to me. Stop, wait, carry on.  😆

I didn't know this but Remastered allows passwords which gets rid of the level +-10 percent ish matching and I had a great time helping a friend on their first playthrough with my pretty much end of NG level 100 Cleric Knight.

I think I'll be staying here for a while so if anyone wants to do any password games on Switch I can warp to where you are, just bare in mind it'll be a mix of me cutting through things like butter and Leeroy Jenkins-ing my way to insta death :D

• 2 months later...

New video by Illusory Wall on the multiplayer mechanics of the Gravelord Servant Covenant.

A really interesting breakdown of how one of the game's most ridiculously obscure systems works!

If you're not interested in watching an hour-long video on this subject, you should know that the section from about 9:00 to 29:00 is mainly a long list of the positions of all the additional phantom enemies, so you can safely skip those 20 mins.