IGNORED

Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

338 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

After you complete DaS I'd highly recommend playing Bloodborne as it is the absolute zenith of the style and, as a bonus, is set in a world that is much more interesting than the fairly standard fantasy of the Souls series. It's a bit janky as it is the only one that still can only be played at 30fps but is so, so good that should be forgotten soon enough.

After that I'd get in on Elden Ring before mopping up Das 2 and 3 sometime in the future (maybe break them up with Sekiro as that is a pure gem of a game with some very fine refining of the formula and in a glorious new environment). It's worth pointing out that all the DLC for all the games should be considered essential. 

Like @robdood I am always immensely envious of those experiencing these games for the first time.

Cheers! I think I’m gonna jump in on ER once I’ve done this. Just so I can get in on the group discovery of it all. 

Obvs that ship has mostly sailed on the rest of the games in terms of that so I don’t feel like I’d be missing out by going backwards (or playing out of sequence even) after ER. 

1 minute ago, geldra said:

Cheers! I think I’m gonna jump in on ER once I’ve done this. Just so I can get in on the group discovery of it all. 

Obvs that ship has mostly sailed on the rest of the games in terms of that so I don’t feel like I’d be missing out by going backwards (or playing out of sequence even) after ER. 

Excellent plan.

I suspect playing all the Souls on the trot might lead to series fatigue so do break up the other two Souls with Sekiro and Bloodborne.  Or Demon's for that matter as it is quite different and the PS5 version is lovely to look at/play  although maybe not as oppressively grim as the original.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Yes, to second @Mike S you shoudl defo play Bloodborne next out of the already-released games.  It's their best game to date IMO. 

I'm not in full agreement due to a personal preference issue :D....I just keep going back to Dark Souls and still adore Demon's Souls for all the understated nuances.

However the combat is brilliant in BB and the QoL with how the summoning is done is superb

15 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I'm not in full agreement due to a personal preference issue :D....I just keep going back to Dark Souls and still adore Demon's Souls for all the understated nuances.

However the combat is brilliant in BB and the QoL with how the summoning is done is superb

Ha, and that's fine, there's a definite 'comfort blanket' feel to the first Dark Souls for me, I've played it so much.. it's very dear to me. 

However, beyond 'build diversity', Bloodborne has the most consistently high quality of interesting level / enemy / encounter design of the lot, imo.  It was the first game where they nailed the nightmarish complexity of the environmental details, all the sideways gravestones and piles of coffins and other clutter is brilliant. It's so overwhelming at times (in the best, terrifying way) that it's hard to tell where you can / can't go in the world.  Best DLC of all time, too.  And THAT MUSIC. :wub:

Plus trick weapons are just AMAZING. 

Ha, and that's fine, there's a definite 'comfort blanket' feel to the first Dark Souls for me, I've played it so much.. it's very dear to me. 

However, beyond 'build diversity', Bloodborne has the most consistently high quality of interesting level / enemy / encounter design of the lot, imo.  It was the first game where they nailed the nightmarish complexity of the environmental details, all the sideways gravestones and piles of coffins and other clutter is brilliant. It's so overwhelming at times (in the best, terrifying way) that it's hard to tell where you can / can't go in the world.  Best DLC of all time, too.  And THAT MUSIC. :wub:

Plus trick weapons are just AMAZING. 

Absolutely, I think the only thing I didn't get on with in BB is the potential to counter with the weapon, super cool when it works but whether or not you could interrupt certain attacks seemed all over the place. Sometimes on bosses, never on other certain attacks, then maybe based on weapon level iirc.

I'm not saying they've done countering better in the other games, Sekiro is a bit more rigid and understandable but I haven;t played a lot of that :)

On 19/01/2022 at 13:31, Popo said:

The real Dark Souls really does begin now. :bye:

yeah I’d love to stride in here giving it large about how O+S weren’t all that but…

fml these two!!!!! 

After my very first attempt I realised I probably needed to put some time into levelling up my character/equipment. So, I’ve spent the last couple of days grinding for souls to level up (like the world’s dullest Rocky montage).

The fight is still really tough for me and I can’t go in without Solaire which means also grinding for Humanity*.

Have had a couple of runs where I was a couple of hits away from dropping S (after O had already bitten the dust) but either got too impatient or just stomped (still not 100% on strategy).  Aaaaaaargh so close. 

I can see how, amongst several other brick walls in the game this is the one that stops the most people. 

I appreciate if you were playing Dark Souls Bingo this post alone probably achieves “house” several times over. Anyway, this game eh?

*used up all my stocked humanity, mostly getting stomped by Invaders** on the way to the Summon sign***

**FUCK Invaders man. Have had to take it offline for now. 

***FUCK those spiral stairs man, sick of that trudge. 

You don't need solaire. Coop doubles boss health. Learn the fight solo. Make sure your weapon is +10.  Don't use consumables until you're confident you can win. Take one out first. Use the pillars. Don't use lock on.

(short on time!) 

Also it's been a while but I'm sure there's a faster way than taking the spiral stairs.. You defo unlocked all doors and shortcuts? 

yeah the indoor bonfire is way closer and quicker however to get Solaire I need humanity. The Castle Knights don’t drop any but the Painting Guardians in the Cathedral at the top of the spiral stairs do. 

Perhaps I’ll try it solo….

Just now, therearerules said:

Best place for humanity are the rats in the depths. Have you done the garden yet? I always use this time to take a break and go there.

Hmmm, nope Garden doesn’t ring a bell (punintended).  

Re Humanity, I just can’t be bovved to battle back to the depths from here so the lil’ ninja dudes in the Cathedral drop one every 16 deaths or something. 😕

21 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Best place for humanity are the rats in the depths. Have you done the garden yet? I always use this time to take a break and go there.

There's a bit at the bottom of the Tomb of the Giants with baby skeletons IIRC that you can farm humanity until you have too much.

1 hour ago, geldra said:

Hmmm, nope Garden doesn’t ring a bell (punintended).  

Re Humanity, I just can’t be bovved to battle back to the depths from here so the lil’ ninja dudes in the Cathedral drop one every 16 deaths or something. 😕

Farm if you must, but at the same time I find farming for ages to get a few humanity, to have three INTENSE goes at the boss is even more disheartening than just trying over and over solo. 

Don't you dare go hollow on us!!

35 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Have you got the Crystal Staff (I think I'm remembering right)? It does loads of damage to both of them. 

This is a good shout. Though it is limited use so I'd save it until I had a bit more of a battle plan than 'farm humanity' :P

59 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Have you got the Crystal Staff (I think I'm remembering right)? It does loads of damage to both of them. 

The Halbert? Yessir. Bit worried it’ll break on me like. 

25 minutes ago, robdood said:

This is a good shout. Though it is limited use so I'd save it until I had a bit more of a battle plan than 'farm humanity' :P

Err excuse me!!! The plan is:

- farm humanity

- take in Solaire

- run around

- get impatient

- get smashed

- You Died

24 minutes ago, geldra said:

The Halbert? Yessir. Bit worried it’ll break on me like. 

For me, it killed the the thin one in about 5 hits. The second in about 8. It was the only time I used it  

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

There's a bit at the bottom of the Tomb of the Giants with baby skeletons IIRC that you can farm humanity until you have too much.

But geldra can't get there at this point:

Spoiler

The respawning skeleton babies are beyond the orange magic barrier that leads to Nito. You can't unlock that gate until you've defeated O&S and placed the Lordvessel.

New Illusory Wall videos!

Everything you could ever possibly want to know about how the Poise system works:

And everything you could ever possibly want to know about how breakable objects react to being attacked/rolled through/touched while walking:

My favourite bit is the section on all the ridiculously convoluted methods of breaking through the wall with the sleeping lizard guard in Sen's Fortress. I love the idea at 17:40 of

Spoiler

luring the Mimic all the way back there and getting it to break it for you! :lol:

Sacked off the O+S fight for now. Have gone back over the wall to have a hang out elsewhere and do some levelling up. 

Managed to down 

Spoiler

Sif

which was a cool fight. So atmospheric. 

It’s so strange that when I first started playing this (bitd and my last most recent attempt to get into it) I thought it wasn’t much of a looker, bit drab etc but now I think it’s absolutely immense. 

Also, usually the thought of playing something that would likely take me 80+ hours (at my current rate actually more likely 100) to complete would put me RIGHT OFF. 

Anyway, looking forward to going back to O+S at some point to see if I can get past. 

(I did try solo-ing it a fair few times and figured most of it out, I just need to execute).

Anyway, still loving it.