Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A "quick go" of Dark Souls Remastered turned into getting to Blighttown.

And this is with a PS5 and Demon's Souls in my office upstairs...

I had to play this connected to the TV, I find it really hard to control using the "claw hand" on the Switch in portable mode.

2MpxEZ2.mp4

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been exactly a month since my last update - I’m struggling to find the enthusiasm to keep plugging away at this point - but I did fire it up and had a run at Knight Artorias this morning. I say run - it turned into a 4-hour marathon, with most of that time spent running from the bonfire to the boss. Frustrating? At times. Hardest boss yet? Undoubtedly. Dead as a door nail? Eventually. :D

It took a long time to read him well enough to know when to attack. He’s extremely fast and dodges most openings - I had to read online that his AOE attack also gives him a stat boost, which explains why he was one-shotting me so frequently. I switched to using the unwieldy Zweihander, for the extremely high damage, which brings its own challenge in a fight with such a fast enemy, but my regular sword would frequently leave me out of range for a hit and made the fight last too long - perseverance paid off, as I two-handed him his ass with the bug gun. 

Would quite like the game to be finished soon, though, I must say. 

That was my 2nd attempt (at the archer part). First, I got taken out by the guy on the left. Second, I died trying to rush back to get my souls and humanity, third I got that.

How many attempts in all plays of the game? Hundreds.

lol, killed Smough and Ornstein. Took a few goes as my char has very little health and Power Within is ticking away.

Got them in the end, but the health tick from PW ticked and I died! :D

Still counts...

xfpCw3x.mp4

C8BJcPp.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I really hoped my next post in this thread would be a gloating one, about how I beat Manus before moving on to Gwyn, and I had finished the game... but it was not to be. Manus has broken my spirit, and I gave up on trying; I moved on to Gwyn, and got really close to beating him a few times, but couldn’t quite stick the landing either time. The more I stubbornly persevered with further attempts, the worse I got. 

I don’t know. I want to see the end credits roll, but I’m just wasting my free time butting my head up against these two. I’ve completely given up on beating Manus - after about 30 tries I’m just not improving. Gwyn feels possible, I’ll probably go back and try again, but I’m not enjoying it anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hmm. I really hoped my next post in this thread would be a gloating one, about how I beat Manus before moving on to Gwyn, and I had finished the game... but it was not to be. Manus has broken my spirit, and I gave up on trying; I moved on to Gwyn, and got really close to beating him a few times, but couldn’t quite stick the landing either time. The more I stubbornly persevered with further attempts, the worse I got. 

I don’t know. I want to see the end credits roll, but I’m just wasting my free time butting my head up against these two. I’ve completely given up on beating Manus - after about 30 tries I’m just not improving. Gwyn feels possible, I’ll probably go back and try again, but I’m not enjoying it anymore. 

I feel you. On my first playthrough, I took a hard-line, no summons attitude. Had to do everything solo. But Manus broke me. I ended up using the NPC summon to help with him. So don't feel bad if you have to do the same. They're there for a reason. 

As for Gwyn, several of his attacks can be parried, which makes the fight significantly easier.

Keep at it. You'll get there.

I think Gwyn is essentially just supposed to be parried. I didn’t do it that way, but I think that’s the easier way to beat him. I didn’t have too much issue just dodge rolling away from his attacks, to be honest. 

Manus - his magic is the main hurdle. There is an item you can use to protect yourself from his magic, but it’s a bit finicky to use. I just got quite lucky and had a run where he used very little magic. Most of his attacks are fairly easy to dodge, but you need to learn to read his one that does a huge AOE on the second bit of it and just dodge the hell out of there before he even lands the first hit, or it’ll get you. 

Ha! I never once make it to the magic-using phase of the fight, making me more convinced that this is one fight it’s not worth having. :D

On 09/03/2021 at 23:56, Calashnikov said:

Design Works for DS2 & 3 are out of print, but it seems they keep reprinting that first one. 

I managed to source a ‘mint’ second hand copy of Design Works 2 for £50 since this post ^_^ 

A high stability and magic resist shield (e.g. Crest Shield or Havel/Artorias shield if you've got the stats) makes Manus far more manageable. He's not *easy*, but if you can negate any of his attacks you'll have a far better time with him, even when solo.

It’s done. Gwyn is dead. I’m still slightly shaking - I’d almost convinced myself it couldn’t be done. 

A combination of - rolling into him when he does the big leap forward and hitting him, plus dodging his grab attack and smashing him with a heavy strike. My base attacks were doing about 300 damage, so once I realised I had to dodge all his other attacks and wait for my 2 openings, it was pretty straightforward. 

I’m free! I can play other games now! :D

Nah, seriously though, a great game indeed. Having played Bloodborne first, I still prefer it’s focus on dodging and aggression, and the world in general, but this was a really memorable experience. The pride in having overcome bosses like Gwyn or Smough & Ornstein will stay with me for a long time!

I had a look back through the thread. I don't want to be that guy but Manus took me three goes. My strategy was always the same: hit them as hard and as fast as you can and don't give them a chance to do anything. Manus was like the Four Kings in that regard. Just whale on them. 

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

I like you @squirtle, I respect you. But you are being that guy. ;)

I’m at peace with my Manus performance. 

Sorry. I didn't mean to be. But if it's a strategy you haven't tried, be light, black sword +5 and just run at him and hit the fuck out of him. 

On 14/03/2021 at 13:39, Popo said:

It’s been exactly a month since my last update - I’m struggling to find the enthusiasm to keep plugging away at this point - but I did fire it up and had a run at Knight Artorias this morning. I say run - it turned into a 4-hour marathon, with most of that time spent running from the bonfire to the boss. Frustrating? At times. Hardest boss yet? Undoubtedly. Dead as a door nail? Eventually. :D

It took a long time to read him well enough to know when to attack. He’s extremely fast and dodges most openings - I had to read online that his AOE attack also gives him a stat boost, which explains why he was one-shotting me so frequently. I switched to using the unwieldy Zweihander, for the extremely high damage, which brings its own challenge in a fight with such a fast enemy, but my regular sword would frequently leave me out of range for a hit and made the fight last too long - perseverance paid off, as I two-handed him his ass with the bug gun. 

Would quite like the game to be finished soon, though, I must say. 

Artorias is one of those fights that feels incredibly pressured the first few goes. But after you learn to read it Artorias almost seems slow because the openings are obvious. 

Pretty sure I never beat Manus without help, though did whack Kalmeet in the bum on my own. 

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I beat up Manus on the Cairnryan to Belfast ferry and then went and immediately sorted out Kalameet on the same crossing. Pair of them were acting rowdy at the bar.

Kalameet! That boss has always given me trouble and that was with a cleric knight and lightning spears.

All this chat made me resume my NG Cleric Knight run yesterday, mostly SP but with a bit of very nice jolly cooperation. Got through Sen's and Anor Londo and got what I needed so I can get the Mace to +15 afterwards :)

I've finished the game a few times on PS3/Switch (lost my save in error when transferring to a Lite) and I must say...I had a rip roaring time with it.

One thing I was wondering with something like the Cleric Knight build, do folk stop at the levels (ie : STR 30/END 35 etc) so it makes it easier to play with others in subsequent playthroughs or do you keep hammering away to improve them and get to a much higher SL? I know there's soft ceilings in the leveling for STR etc so was just wondering.