Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

338 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Popo said:

Where did you get to @spanx?

Hrrrm, to a boss on top of a cathedral. It was quite early on. 

I think I like the idea of these games more than the actual minute to minute experience of playing them. I don’t even mind the difficulty so much, it’s more that I feel like I’m fighting with it the whole time rather than feeling at one. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Stopped now for lunch, and I know I still have the catacombs to visit, but I’m not sure if that’s on the critical path or it’s optional?

I'm not going to spoil whether it's on the critical path, but I do think you should go there. If you've already done the Duke's Archives and Four Kings, you'll probably find it really easy in comparison. I did the Catacombs earlier than you, and it still felt like a regression in challenge, so I kinda wish I'd tried to tackle it earlier in my run.

(You'll find it even easier if you

Spoiler

upgraded your weapon with the Ember

from New Londo Ruins.)

23 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I'm not going to spoil whether it's on the critical path, but I do think you should go there. If you've already done the Duke's Archives and Four Kings, you'll probably find it really easy in comparison. I did the Catacombs earlier than you, and it still felt like a regression in challenge, so I kinda wish I'd tried to tackle it earlier in my run.

(You'll find it even easier if you

Hide contents

upgraded your weapon with the Ember

from New Londo Ruins.)

Hmm, I have that - and the blacksmith in the Undead Parish comments on how he can’t do anything with it. Maybe I need to take it to the other blacksmith? You know, the big one who doesn’t say much?

@spanx if you’re talking about the Bell Gargoyle - I also hit a brick wall there and had to go off and do something else before coming back later. If you’re not enjoying it, that may just be because it hasn’t clicked yet. I’d encourage you to give it another try!

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hmm, I have that - and the blacksmith in the Undead Parish comments on how he can’t do anything with it. Maybe I need to take it to the other blacksmith? You know, the big one who doesn’t say much?

Hmm, if you've got the Very Large Ember, Andre should accept it.

So far, what's the highest level you've upgraded a weapon to?

18 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Hmm, if you've got the Very Large Ember, Andre should accept it.

So far, what's the highest level you've upgraded a weapon to?

Well, I’ve got a +5 Raw Longsword. I’ve handed over a few embers to the big yin in Andor Londo, but I don’t seem to be able to ascend anything. Do I need to undo my previous ascension and level up the normal version of the weapon first 

There's your problem - those Embers are to expand the Normal upgrade path, but the Raw upgrade path stops at +5!

From the Fandom wiki:

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Raw_(upgrade_path)

It is a unique upgrade path in that it does not allow a second tier of ascension. It essentially functions as a way for players to maximize their attack power early on in the game, with Raw +5 weapons generally more powerful than Normal +10 weapons. However, Normal +15 weapons are always stronger than their Raw +5 counterparts.

I'd recommend buying a second Longsword, and using Andre to upgrade it along the Normal path as far as you can. (You might need to buy more Large Titanite Shards from the Giant Blacksmith along the way.) Depending on what level you are in STR and DEX, its damage stats might turn out better than your Raw Longsword!

Well, I didn’t bother upgrading my long sword in the end - I did have a divine club, though, so that saw me through. 

Not an easy area, even at the probably quite high level I found myself at (82). After much groping around in the dark (eased somewhat by the torch hat I had), Gravelord Nito is no more. The battle was made much easier once I realised how to deal with the smaller enemies dotted around. 

Sooo... I think I’m now ready for the end game? Time to go speak to the big giant head...

Ok, Gwyn is not messing about, is he? Strategies welcome, I’m struggling with armour above that of standard knight, my equip load isn’t very high. 

@Marlew not sure what the DLC is to be honest! I was thinking to try and beat the last boss and put it to bed, but actually I’m not sure if that’s going to be possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently I purchased this (among other things) at the weekend

(I may have been drunk and/or under the influence of vaccine side effects.)

Spoiler

PXL_20210309_193612726.thumb.jpg.40f57328fd3fb4d4953d44c289b0a284.jpg

For some reason I've thought this was out of print and hard to get so when I saw it at £23 I must have said fuck it

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-Design-Works-Software/dp/1926778898

It’s been exactly a month since my last update - I’m struggling to find the enthusiasm to keep plugging away at this point - but I did fire it up and had a run at Knight Artorias this morning. I say run - it turned into a 4-hour marathon, with most of that time spent running from the bonfire to the boss. Frustrating? At times. Hardest boss yet? Undoubtedly. Dead as a door nail? Eventually. :D

It took a long time to read him well enough to know when to attack. He’s extremely fast and dodges most openings - I had to read online that his AOE attack also gives him a stat boost, which explains why he was one-shotting me so frequently. I switched to using the unwieldy Zweihander, for the extremely high damage, which brings its own challenge in a fight with such a fast enemy, but my regular sword would frequently leave me out of range for a hit and made the fight last too long - perseverance paid off, as I two-handed him his ass with the bug gun. 

Would quite like the game to be finished soon, though, I must say. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I really hoped my next post in this thread would be a gloating one, about how I beat Manus before moving on to Gwyn, and I had finished the game... but it was not to be. Manus has broken my spirit, and I gave up on trying; I moved on to Gwyn, and got really close to beating him a few times, but couldn’t quite stick the landing either time. The more I stubbornly persevered with further attempts, the worse I got. 

I don’t know. I want to see the end credits roll, but I’m just wasting my free time butting my head up against these two. I’ve completely given up on beating Manus - after about 30 tries I’m just not improving. Gwyn feels possible, I’ll probably go back and try again, but I’m not enjoying it anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hmm. I really hoped my next post in this thread would be a gloating one, about how I beat Manus before moving on to Gwyn, and I had finished the game... but it was not to be. Manus has broken my spirit, and I gave up on trying; I moved on to Gwyn, and got really close to beating him a few times, but couldn’t quite stick the landing either time. The more I stubbornly persevered with further attempts, the worse I got. 

I don’t know. I want to see the end credits roll, but I’m just wasting my free time butting my head up against these two. I’ve completely given up on beating Manus - after about 30 tries I’m just not improving. Gwyn feels possible, I’ll probably go back and try again, but I’m not enjoying it anymore. 

I feel you. On my first playthrough, I took a hard-line, no summons attitude. Had to do everything solo. But Manus broke me. I ended up using the NPC summon to help with him. So don't feel bad if you have to do the same. They're there for a reason. 

As for Gwyn, several of his attacks can be parried, which makes the fight significantly easier.

Keep at it. You'll get there.

I think Gwyn is essentially just supposed to be parried. I didn’t do it that way, but I think that’s the easier way to beat him. I didn’t have too much issue just dodge rolling away from his attacks, to be honest. 

Manus - his magic is the main hurdle. There is an item you can use to protect yourself from his magic, but it’s a bit finicky to use. I just got quite lucky and had a run where he used very little magic. Most of his attacks are fairly easy to dodge, but you need to learn to read his one that does a huge AOE on the second bit of it and just dodge the hell out of there before he even lands the first hit, or it’ll get you.