Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

@CrichStand I can’t believe you’ve been playing this whole time with only 5 estus flasks!

Neither can i! I think one of the things that has thrown me is pretty much coming straight off Demon’s Souls and getting so used to that. But also I’ve not been getting much sleep recently, as a couple of family members of had Coronavirus, which has been a big worry, so have been a bit all over the place and forgetting stuff anyway!

Like I mention in my last post though, the game definitely gets easier as you level up. I’ve not upgraded any armour, my shield, or used any magic either and I’m not using any summons. Although I want to find a Stamina Regen Shield like the one I used in Demon’s Souls which worked well when two handing!

How’s your progress going?

Thankfully, I’ve not had any more issues with the no damage when hitting thing so far. It’s def linked to enemies dodging. So as long as enemies don’t dodge while you’re hitting them, then you don’t see it! Luckily enemies don’t seem to dodge that often. Could be linked to Zweihander too as I’ve been mixing it up with a Longsword. 

Cleared out the Catacombs completely now and all the Necromancers, but still didn’t get a light. Fuuuuuuuck!!!! Had to look some stuff up again. I’d have never have found what I needed either, as I don’t use magic, so glad I did in the end! Some of the design and logic behind stuff is definitely a bit ropey!

Just done the Sanctuary Garden boss which basically just went totally apeshit for the entirety of the fight, wouldn’t let me heal or get a move in and kept knocking me back down as soon as I got up! Thought that was well suspect too. Managed to take him down after a couple more goes though and am now in the Royal Woods area. Not sure where this is leading, was wanting to do TOTG. That will be next on my list now!

I wouldn't say the Souls games are easy, even after kitting yourself out with upgraded equipment, but I think its difficulty was definitely exaggerated by the "PREPARE TO DIE" marketing latching onto it.

Anyone claiming you're playing it wrong due to not onebroing it on your first run is just being daft though. People do that as a way to challenge themselves and get more life out of the game after playing it normally, trying different builds and stuff. It's still very doable though (not that I've tried), as you can put even more souls into powering up weapons and armour when you're not increasing your own stats.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with doing anything at all as long as it's in the game. Want to summon three other players for every boss? Go for it, as long as you're having fun.

And yes, the "normal" way to play is obviously to level yourself up along with your equipment. Why give you all those systems if you weren't supposed to use them?

For many Dark Souls was the first experience of a souls game and it was bloody hard, I think it took me 20 hrs just to get to and kill the first boss, now I can do it in minutes.  Now it’s hard to see what the fuss was about.

The underlying gameplay of earning souls, upgrading and progressing is expectational but you can easily break it by overpowering yourself and weapons early on which then makes some of the later levels a breeze..but not all people’s experiences are equal.  Imho I think a strength build with havels armour just pounding away is a valid tactic as any but probably a bit well..joyless in its execution.

what’s your current soul level btw?

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

I wouldn't say the Souls games are easy, even after kitting yourself out with upgraded equipment, but I think its difficulty was definitely exaggerated by the "PREPARE TO DIE" marketing latching onto it.

Anyone claiming you're playing it wrong due to not onebroing it on your first run is just being daft though. People do that as a way to challenge themselves and get more life out of the game after playing it normally, trying different builds and stuff. It's still very doable though (not that I've tried), as you can put even more souls into powering up weapons and armour when you're not increasing your own stats.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with doing anything at all as long as it's in the game. Want to summon three other players for every boss? Go for it, as long as you're having fun.

And yes, the "normal" way to play is obviously to level yourself up along with your equipment. Why give you all those systems if you weren't supposed to use them?

Yeah, I don’t think I’d say the game, when taken as a whole is easy, as the early sections can be quite challenging and there’s a lot to learn and to get to grips with. I just feel that there’s a lot of stuff I’m currently not using, that if I did, would make the game even easier than it now is.

Definitely agree about the marketing. I can remember back in the 360 days, being really frustrated with loads of games because of their handholding and lack of difficulty. It ruined loads of stuff for me. Can’t remember what it was like playing the early sections of this back then but, it must have really stood out when compared with most other stuff available at the time. Think a lot of people experienced that and in direct comparison to those games, this got a reputation as being “the hardest game ever”.

Agree with your other points too. Outside of me trying to figure out what was going on with not being able to hit certain enemies, I’ve not done any real grinding. I’ve just used the Souls whenever I’ve had them available.

9 hours ago, Welrain said:

For many Dark Souls was the first experience of a souls game and it was bloody hard, I think it took me 20 hrs just to get to and kill the first boss, now I can do it in minutes.  Now it’s hard to see what the fuss was about.

The underlying gameplay of earning souls, upgrading and progressing is expectational but you can easily break it by overpowering yourself and weapons early on which then makes some of the later levels a breeze..but not all people’s experiences are equal.  Imho I think a strength build with havels armour just pounding away is a valid tactic as any but probably a bit well..joyless in its execution.

what’s your current soul level btw?

I don’t really see the levelling up as breaking anything. I think that whole mechanic is one of the core parts of the game that you’re meant to use, just as in any other RPG. The game throws Souls at you the further you get into it. I mean I’ve got pretty much all the ones you collect in the levels stored up in my inventory yet to use! And apparently, as I didn’t open the sealed door in Darkroot I never hit the best place in the game to farm souls so could potentially have a miles higher Soul level. I’m currently.........

Lv77

Vit 30

Stam 30

Str 40

Zweihander +15

Longsword +12

Grass Crest Shield on back (for Stamina regen, meant to say health regen shield I’m looking for in my previous post. Not sure there is one though).

Mask of the Mother

Crimson Robe

Shadow Gauntlets

Crimson Waistcloth

Havel’s Ring

Ring of the Evil Eye

Just got to Knight Artorias. A lot of the boss fights seem horribly unbalanced. He can knock you down then follow up with 3-4 more hits whilst you’re still on the floor killing you outright. Cheap as chips! He can also one shot you, which of course he pulls out the bag just as I’m about to take him out! Only being able to roll in four directions feels pretty shit too.

When I beat him, I did it without taking a hit. :D He's not cheap at all.

EDIT: I found my old replay (apologies for the commentary). One of the best fights in the game, that.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Mogster said:

When I beat him, I did it without taking a hit. :D He's not cheap at all.

EDIT: I found my old replay (apologies for the commentary). One of the best fights in the game, that.

Reveal hidden contents

Nice! What Soul lvl where you there? Is the A.I behaviour in some way decided by your level? I’ve only had 3 goes at it but he goes fully aggro right from the start and does moves that aren’t in that vid.

I dodge his attacks and counter but he then randomly jump dodges, and he then immediately jumps upon touching the floor again and smashes down on me. Its unavoidable (maybe because of Zwei and how slow it is). He then hits me 3-4 times in a row killing me before I get chance to get back up, which is the kind of thing I class as being cheap in games, as I don’t have any control over my character at that point and so can’t do anything about it! Also, like the Boss in the previous section, as soon as I heal, he does his homing attack which i can’t avoid. 

Will have a go with the Longsword and see if that makes any difference!

It's entirely possible to avoid all of his attacks at any soul level and with any gear. Don't worry about it being unfair. You just need to learn the tells and dodge at the right time. Plenty of people have done no hit runs at soul level 1. 

He seems to go nuts as soon as I bring out Zweihander! Lol. Do barely any damage to him at all with the Longsword but I can hit him as he doesn’t dodge and counter and he’s not hitting me. Bring Zweihander out to speed things up though and he starts doing move after move and he dodges and counters my attacks even though I’m countering him!!! 

Yep I didn’t get hit when I beat Artorias. There’s a lot of the late game that doesn’t quite work in Dark Souls but Artorias is absolutely not that. He’s one of the better fights in the series and one of my favourite bosses in any game. 

Artorias is probably the second most famous and celebrated boss fight in the series. Pretty intense because of his aggression but you'll learn when to heal and when to bait him out.

He is the Artorias of legend, and all that. I like it. Nice change of pace. The later Souls games really leaned hard into the duel type bosses off the back of this one. 

25 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I don’t really see the levelling up as breaking anything

As you say if you over level it gets much easier - the game expects you to be in a certain range in each area, if you are above then the difficulty decreases markedly.  It's a delicate balance of skill / difficulty which I feel like you are missing out on and missing some of the joy of it.  

11 minutes ago, Welrain said:

As you say if you over level it gets much easier - the game expects you to be in a certain range in each area, if you are above then the difficulty decreases markedly.

Yeah I found the Catacombs easier than it was probably intended to be, because I didn't tackle it until after Anor Londo and after [spoiler for something that CritchStand and Pop haven't seen yet]

Spoiler

the Painted World - which introduced me to the wheel skeletons.

Not that it was a complete pushover! I still died several times, especially

Spoiler

trying to survive the fall to get to Vamos

- but it was much easier than it would have been if I'd done it 10-15 hours earlier.

Of course, the Tomb of the Giants made up for that difficulty afterwards! :twisted:

14 minutes ago, Welrain said:

As you say if you over level it gets much easier - the game expects you to be in a certain range in each area, if you are above then the difficulty decreases markedly.  It's a delicate balance of skill / difficulty which I feel like you are missing out on and missing some of the joy of it.  

Bit confused. What do you mean when you say “it a delicate balance of skill/difficulty which you are missing out on”? Do you mean that I’m over levelled? Not sure how I can be over levelled if I haven’t been grinding and I haven’t used the Souls that are lying around? I’ve just used the Souls that the game has given me from playing through normally. 

As I was saying before though......if you play well and are finding things easy, you actually end up with more Souls than if you’re struggling and find things difficult! In other words.....the easier you find the game, then the easier it becomes on top of that. The harder you find the game then the harder it becomes on top of that. It’s a very weird setup! 

The double jump counter move on Artorias is proper bullshit to me. It’s just down to luck whether he rolls it out or not. Some goes he does it once right as I’m about to beat him and others he’s straight into it. Either way, if he does it I’m totally screwed, as it’s unavoidable. I’m guessing there’ll be one attempt where he doesn’t do it and I’ll win with ease as the rest of his move set is straight forward stuff.

46 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Nice! What Soul lvl where you there? Is the A.I behaviour in some way decided by your level? I’ve only had 3 goes at it but he goes fully aggro right from the start and does moves that aren’t in that vid.

That was years ago, so I can't remember I'm afraid. I did beat him again with my Zweihander run though, and found him a lot easier.

And no, I'm pretty sure your soul level has no bearing on enemy behaviour. That was just the last of a lot of attempts in the video, so it's fair to say I'd seen everything he could throw at me by that point. Everything could be avoided, hence me avoiding it all in that attempt.

16 minutes ago, Mogster said:

That was years ago, so I can't remember I'm afraid. I did beat him again with my Zweihander run though, and found him a lot easier.

And no, I'm pretty sure your soul level has no bearing on enemy behaviour. That was just the last of a lot of attempts in the video, so it's fair to say I'd seen everything he could throw at me by that point. Everything could be avoided, hence me avoiding it all in that attempt.

I’m assuming you must have been at a higher level than myself, as you have more health, more stamina and seem to be doing more damage than my upgraded Longsword. Using the Longsword on him seems to be the equivalent of waving a butter knife around! 

Yeah, the A.I just seems to be random, nothing to do with weapon or lvl after having a few more goes. Switched back to Zweihander and he’s now been well and truly pulped! :) He didn’t do the counter dodge double jump smash move at all so it was plain sailing.

Looking things up, I now realise I’ve somehow ended up playing through the DLC! Didn’t even realise it was part of the Remaster! I only wanted a light to tackle TOTG!

@CrichStand re the rite of kindling...it lets you kindle MORE than the normal amount...the normal amount is one kindle...so you can kindle any bonfire one time...and get 10 estus

the rite of kindling, lets you kindle twice more...so 3 times in total...for 20 estus flasks...

Still can’t believe I missed that! Ironically, i used it for the first time properly on the Artorias bonfire so it went up to 15.........and yet I couldn’t actually heal in the fight! Just had to do it without getting clipped.

That’s one of the things I was talking about in my previous posts though. Having 20 Estus instead of 5 would have made the game ridiculously easy in most places. Same thing happened on Demon’s Souls......wasn’t until towards the end of the game that I realised you can carry something daft like 90+ healing herbs around with you! 

Aaaaand now just remembered I haven’t done the 3rd Estus flask upgrade either! Lol.

Hmm, I’m a bit stuck on where to go next. I’ve explored the fiery area beyond Quelaag’s domain and defeated the boss there. Nearby was a large stone hallway with a sealed door at the end, so presumably that opens from the other side. 

Firelink is still unavailable, so I’d rather not return to New Londo or the valley of the drakes until I can rest nearby (the trek from other places is quite long). Lautrec and his buddies are still pummelling me, so I’d rather level up a bit before coming back to try them again. There’s the area formerly behind the golden mist in Anor Londo, but I couldn’t even make a scratch on those enemies in my current state.

There’s more to explore in the forest near where I defeated Sif - guarded by two giant, fast, powerful beasts, but I think that might be doable. there was also an area of the fiery place guarded by about 20 (!) minotaurs, but I know how to defeat them now, so that might be worth checking out. 

Then there’s the catacombs that I hear so much about, but apart from the entrance near Firelink I haven’t come across a way in there, and Firelink is still a useless area (fuck you very much, Lautrec). I’d got the impression there’s another way in there, from earlier chat? I could be wrong. 

Any advice on what to check out next, rllmuk?

You should be able to get to a bonfire in the catacombs without much trouble by this point, also there's definitely more to explore down in the area after quelaags domain, loads more which don't require you to open that door, so I'd just keep searching down there for now.

8 minutes ago, squirtle said:

What boss did you beat in the Demon Ruins? Endless Cumquat?

Both Ceaseless Discharge and Firesage Demon. After the latter I get to an area that takes me back to Quelaag’s Domain. Is there more to do after him?

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Both Ceaseless Discharge and Firesage Demon. After the latter I get to an area that takes me back to Quelaag’s Domain. Is there more to do after him?

go down the stairs, not up...

Theres a really quick run to the boss of the Catacombs, as you can see below in a video smeared with vaseline. Hes an incredibly easy boss who you will probably kill in a few hits. I would suggest doing this then using a Homeward Bone after you beat him (or suicide) to go above ground as making your way out manually can be quite hard. Do NOT go & rest at the bonfire in the area after him yet though!!

Killing him will make the rest of the game a lot easier as you will get the Rite of Kindling, so you can boost you Estus Refill to 20 from upgraded bonfires (do this at Anor Londo)

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Ok, thanks for nothing 5R7! This boss is making me regret being born. :lol:

:lol:

i mean...you dont have to fight it...see, that big door you mentioned...there is a way through that...

Spoiler

but it involves something i'm not sure you found...its in the room where the lift takes you back up to in qulaags domain...

Spoiler

did you by chance hit all the walls in that room the lift takes you back to?

Spoiler

and find the bonfire? ...and "talk"  to the things?