IGNORED

Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

338 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still can’t believe I missed that! Ironically, i used it for the first time properly on the Artorias bonfire so it went up to 15.........and yet I couldn’t actually heal in the fight! Just had to do it without getting clipped.

That’s one of the things I was talking about in my previous posts though. Having 20 Estus instead of 5 would have made the game ridiculously easy in most places. Same thing happened on Demon’s Souls......wasn’t until towards the end of the game that I realised you can carry something daft like 90+ healing herbs around with you! 

Aaaaand now just remembered I haven’t done the 3rd Estus flask upgrade either! Lol.

Hmm, I’m a bit stuck on where to go next. I’ve explored the fiery area beyond Quelaag’s domain and defeated the boss there. Nearby was a large stone hallway with a sealed door at the end, so presumably that opens from the other side. 

Firelink is still unavailable, so I’d rather not return to New Londo or the valley of the drakes until I can rest nearby (the trek from other places is quite long). Lautrec and his buddies are still pummelling me, so I’d rather level up a bit before coming back to try them again. There’s the area formerly behind the golden mist in Anor Londo, but I couldn’t even make a scratch on those enemies in my current state.

There’s more to explore in the forest near where I defeated Sif - guarded by two giant, fast, powerful beasts, but I think that might be doable. there was also an area of the fiery place guarded by about 20 (!) minotaurs, but I know how to defeat them now, so that might be worth checking out. 

Then there’s the catacombs that I hear so much about, but apart from the entrance near Firelink I haven’t come across a way in there, and Firelink is still a useless area (fuck you very much, Lautrec). I’d got the impression there’s another way in there, from earlier chat? I could be wrong. 

Any advice on what to check out next, rllmuk?

8 minutes ago, squirtle said:

What boss did you beat in the Demon Ruins? Endless Cumquat?

Both Ceaseless Discharge and Firesage Demon. After the latter I get to an area that takes me back to Quelaag’s Domain. Is there more to do after him?

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Both Ceaseless Discharge and Firesage Demon. After the latter I get to an area that takes me back to Quelaag’s Domain. Is there more to do after him?

go down the stairs, not up...

Theres a really quick run to the boss of the Catacombs, as you can see below in a video smeared with vaseline. Hes an incredibly easy boss who you will probably kill in a few hits. I would suggest doing this then using a Homeward Bone after you beat him (or suicide) to go above ground as making your way out manually can be quite hard. Do NOT go & rest at the bonfire in the area after him yet though!!

Killing him will make the rest of the game a lot easier as you will get the Rite of Kindling, so you can boost you Estus Refill to 20 from upgraded bonfires (do this at Anor Londo)

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Ok, thanks for nothing 5R7! This boss is making me regret being born. :lol:

:lol:

i mean...you dont have to fight it...see, that big door you mentioned...there is a way through that...

Spoiler

but it involves something i'm not sure you found...its in the room where the lift takes you back up to in qulaags domain...

Spoiler

did you by chance hit all the walls in that room the lift takes you back to?

Spoiler

and find the bonfire? ...and "talk"  to the things?

18 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

:lol:

i mean...you dont have to fight it...see, that big door you mentioned...there is a way through that...

Hide contents

but it involves something i'm not sure you found...its in the room where the lift takes you back up to in qulaags domain...

Hide contents

did you by chance hit all the walls in that room the lift takes you back to?

Hide contents

and find the bonfire? ...and "talk"  to the things?

Do you mean the spider worshippers at the entrance to the Demon Ruins? I can’t talk to them, only the one next to the queen (whi doesn’t say much).

I did defeat him though - I summoned some help, in the form of the sun knight (who everyone sees to love for reasons that elude me so far). 

22 minutes ago, Popo said:

Do you mean the spider worshippers at the entrance to the Demon Ruins? I can’t talk to them, only the one next to the queen (whi doesn’t say much).

I did defeat him though - I summoned some help, in the form of the sun knight (who everyone sees to love for reasons that elude me so far). 

:)good ol' sunshine garrY! ...i cant remember why we call him that though:unsure:

and yeah, the queen who doesnt talk...but there is another option she has to join a covenant ...

Spoiler

you then need to give ALOT of what you can offer to her level up to rank 2 in said covenant....exact number is

Spoiler

30, you need to give her 30 humanity to open the door...it is useful though!

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Because he's a jolly bloke in an area without jollity, and he helps kill the hardest bastards (gargoyles, centipede and O%S)

38 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Because he's a jolly block an area without jollity, and he helps kill the hardest bastards (gargoyles, centipede and O%S)

Spoiler

I’ve, er, just killed him. :unsure:

He’d lost his mind! Weird things coming out of his head. 

14 minutes ago, Popo said:
  Hide contents

I’ve, er, just killed him. :unsure:

He’d lost his mind! Weird things coming out of his head. 

Like Old Yeller, he needed to be put down. Make sure you kill those bugs. Make for nice glowy hats in dark places, they do...

Aaaaaaaaand finished!

So, the game just ends out of nowhere then? BOOM......3sec cutscene depicting nothing of note happening aaaaaaaand.........credits roll. Easily the worst ending of anything I’ve ever encountered. It’s that bad, I feel like I’ve been cheated and have just wasted my time playing the game.

Surprised at just how bad the ending actually is, which is saying something, considering the 2nd half of the game drops in quality and then the latter stages drop in quality even further, to the point that they feel really poor, rushed cut and paste jobs. 

So yeah.........it’s a good game but not great. Its nowhere near close to being an all time classic in my book. Sure, the early sections are absolutely brilliant and highly memorable but, after that, the quality nose dives. Its full of poor/bad/trial and error design. The bosses are average at best and just plain bad at worst. The gameplay is pretty thin and gets repetitive, which seems to be highlighted by the more “open” structure. There’s not much skill involved to any of it at all really either. Just some of the reasons why I personally think it’s possibly the most overrated game I’ve played.

Having finished Demon’s and this back to back, I’d say it’s Demon’s that is by far the better game and is genuinely worthy of all the praise and hype it gets (apart from the difficulty, neither of these are particularly hard, though they are harder than most other mainstream games). Been dipping back into Demon’s now and again but I’ve already deleted this and definitely won’t be going back to it again, which speaks volumes.

All in......a strong 7/10.

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Aaaaaaaaand finished!

So, the game just ends out of nowhere then? BOOM......3sec cutscene depicting nothing of note happening aaaaaaaand.........credits roll. Easily the worst ending of anything I’ve ever encountered. It’s that bad, I feel like I’ve been cheated and have just wasted my time playing the game.

Surprised at just how bad the ending actually is, which is saying something, considering the 2nd half of the game drops in quality and then the latter stages drop in quality even further, to the point that they feel really poor, rushed cut and paste jobs. 

So yeah.........it’s a good game but not great. Its nowhere near close to being an all time classic in my book. Sure, the early sections are absolutely brilliant and highly memorable but, after that, the quality nose dives. Its full of poor/bad/trial and error design. The bosses are average at best and just plain bad at worst. The gameplay is pretty thin and gets repetitive, which seems to be highlighted by the more “open” structure. There’s not much skill involved to any of it at all really either. Just some of the reasons why I personally think it’s possibly the most overrated game I’ve played.

Having finished Demon’s and this back to back, I’d say it’s Demon’s that is by far the better game and is genuinely worthy of all the praise and hype it gets (apart from the difficulty, neither of these are particularly hard, though they are harder than most other mainstream games). Been dipping back into Demon’s now and again but I’ve already deleted this and definitely won’t be going back to it again, which speaks volumes.

All in......a strong 7/10.

image.gif.fcfd302297066dec25bc0bc881d2e7ef.gif

Just now, Calashnikov said:

image.gif.fcfd302297066dec25bc0bc881d2e7ef.gif

I’m talking one big pile of shit? So you don’t think the early sections of the game are brilliant and memorable then? You don’t think this is a good game? You don’t think Demon’s Souls is any cop? Fair enough! It’s your opinion!

8 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Think of those kernels of truth as being the sweet corn.

Find it a bit odd why you would rubbish someone else’s views, based purely on them not being the same as yours? You’re not even attempting to discuss or acknowledge the valid stuff I bring up like the poor ending, or the dip in quality half way through, or the further dip in quality in the later stages! People on here have already mentioned those things as they are common complaints that get mentioned all the time even by hardened Souls fans!

As for the bosses I don’t think they’re anywhere near the quality of games like Bayo, Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc.  You can take the bosses down on those games on your first go, using nothing but reflexes and skill. They for the most part require quick reflexes and real skill to beat. You get stuck.......then you really do need to get good to progress! A lot of the Bosses on Dark Souls, for example Bed of Chaos, require trial and error and can be beaten by just levelling up, or upgrading your weapon, or upgrading healing items, or loads of other stuff. That’s how the game is designed!

Demon’s is the better game for me because it just works better. All killer no filler. It’s also the game that made all the innovations and started the whole Souls mechanic in the first place! Basically, having finished Dark Souls, all it essentially added was the more “open world” element which for me doesn’t work very well. I think that shows because the early tight, compact, interwoven areas of the game work the best. The latter stages are more open but feel far more linear. To me they almost feel tacked on like the devs couldn’t keep up the quality of the world building and just fell back on cliches - Forest world, lava world, crystal caves etc. 

When I say all time classic games I mean stuff like OOT or classic Sega arcade cabs. Not much ever comes close to those games anyway for me!

Making more progress this weekend - I made my way down, down, down into Lost Isalith - after more than a few attempts I eventually defeated the very tricksy and uncool Bed of Chaos, bagging my first Lord Soul. 

I then tied up a few loose ends in the Darkroot Garden and Basin (including the hydra), had another run at Drake Valley (a few kills but htf I’m supposed to fight more than one at once!?)  before finally biting the bullet and going back to the Duke’s Archives to tackle it properly. 

It’s not easy, is it? Nevertheless I made it all the way to the boss and of course died right away. Now finding myself serving porridge, I had to find a way out - just call me the Bird Man of Lordran. I’ve now gotten as far as leaving the prison, but two magic casting fuckers in the next area keep doing me in, so I’ll go back for them later in the week. 

I’ve also started Demon’s Souls and while I want to finish this first, it is, in the words of Peter Baynham, too gorgeous. A bit of overlap won’t hurt, I’m sure. 

Here is a video by someone who used an enemy randomiser mod to replace all enemies, bosses, and most NPCs with copies of Gwyn. And yes, that includes all the numerous (but not infinite!) respawning mosquitoes at the bottom of Blighttown!

Spoilers: he did eventually get out of the Asylum - this is his video on how far he got after that:

I watched the whole thing. 8-) Lots of examples of lateral thinking to get around some of them!

Also - possibly even more impressive than the above run - here's a video by someone who managed to import Halo maps into Dark Souls for PvP play... as well as modding it to make many, many other changes for balance and flashiness:

• 2 weeks later...

Seath the Scaleless defeated! 

That fight was absolute crap to get to. If it hadn’t been for the messages on the ground I think I’d be a pretty Narked Norman. And the attacks that cause rapid onset curse can fuck off - I had to do a major detour to cure myself and stock up on purging shit which basically meant a two week break in progress... this game does not respect the players’ time!

Anyway, that’s all for this update, more to follow tomorrow, potentially. 

Where did you get to @spanx?

After my success against Seath, I knew I was destined for New Londo again, so I bit the bullet and went off to reignite the Firelink Shrine - this time, the extra strength and health I picked up from my adventures in the Duke’s Archives paid off, and vengeance was reaped against the bastards who caused all the trouble in the first place (i hope that’s subtle enough not to spoil things for others!).

And so onward to New Londo again - this time, the ghost enemies prove to be mere pushovers, and exploring is much less stressful. There are a few enemies in the deeper recesses who pose a bit more of a challenge, but judicial use of back-stabs is a useful tactic to despatch them quickly. 

Which brings me to the Four Kings. I’m not ashamed to admit I looked up strategies both for how to tackle them as well as how to quickly get back to them after dying! It took about 5 attempts, mainly because they have some annoying projectile attacks, and if you get unlucky these can quickly end your run. Fortunately I got a luckier run, and the buggers were vanquished!

Stopped now for lunch, and I know I still have the catacombs to visit, but I’m not sure if that’s on the critical path or it’s optional? Anyway, it would be nice to finish Dark Souls soon, so I can focus in on Demon’s Souls! 

I feel like I’m going to have a From game on the go for a few years hence...