Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

The only reason you should be doing it is because it’s fucking gangsta and it’s got an epic sound effect. Other than that, it really isn’t worth the risk. Once you’re a decent level you can maybe try busting it out every now and again whenever you’re toying with scrubs during a farming sesh. 

I guess it’s also useful to do a lot of extra damage when you’re low level and fighting enemies with a lot of HP. If you’re at base level fighting a black knight it’s like 30 hits or 15 backstabs vs 5 parries. 

Booo. I’m completely stuck in the Undead Parish. Unlocked a big gate by a church and kindled the nearby fire but I’ve been banging my head against it for two hours now and making zero progress. I can’t get my head around the controls at all. There’s some dude with a rapier type weapon and he annihilates me. Tried watching some vids and following some tips, watched @robdood’s vids. It’s not sticking. Do I just have to keep banging away at it until it starts becoming fun again?

@spanx the guys with rapiers are really fast, my advice (and I’m not much further than you) would be to equip a lighter weapon like a long sword, so you can quickly get in a hit after blocking his attack (I've got an axe and a mace with better damage but slower wind-up, so he always sticks me before I can land a blow). 

Coming from Bloodborne, which is all about quick dodging and aggressive play, I’m finding it hard to get a good rhythm going in Dark Souls. With the character class I chose, dodging isn’t very useful except for avoiding attacks - it’s not quick enough to then get a counter attack in, for example. 

Anyway, after a bit of a hiatus I’ve now found 2 or 3 possible ways to go, which is exciting. I also realised that I completely missed a couple of shortcuts back to Firelink Shrine, which I’ve now opened. 

I also found New Londo Ruins:

Spoiler

G-g-g-ghosts!!!

7 hours ago, spanx said:

Booo. I’m completely stuck in the Undead Parish. Unlocked a big gate by a church and kindled the nearby fire but I’ve been banging my head against it for two hours now and making zero progress. I can’t get my head around the controls at all. There’s some dude with a rapier type weapon and he annihilates me. Tried watching some vids and following some tips, watched @robdood’s vids. It’s not sticking. Do I just have to keep banging away at it until it starts becoming fun again?

The Rapier dudes that come out of the church, you don't have to fight at all, if you don't want to. They get triggered by you entering through the front of the church.

There is another Rapier dude nearby, on a balcony, you don't have to fight him either if you don't want to. The only one you do have to get past is on the raised walkway towards the side of the church. You can always leg it past him if you're struggling, as just past there you'll find another bonfire and a way of upgrading your stuff. Plus once past that Rapier dude you'll never have to fight him again either. So yeah, don't try and fight everything if you're struggling with them. Its better to just avoid some enemies. Later when you've levelled up a weapon a bit, you'll take most early game stuff down in one hit. If you mean the Rapier dude upstairs in the church after the bonfire I'm talking about.........you should be able to smash him to bits provided you've upgraded your weapon.

I'm pretty much playing this for the first time, after finishing Demon's Souls. Just got to Anor Londo, and once again, just like with Demon's Souls, feel the supposed difficulty has been totally overplayed. Just like any RPG, if you are under levelled it will be difficult to progress. However, at the right level, with the right weapon, most stuff has been a doddle so far. There was a big difficulty spike with the Serpent Men at the start of Sens Fortress, until i started using Zweihander and its heavy attack which knocks most enemies down. If I'd not figured that out, then I'd probably have stopped playing right there, as my upgraded Longsword barely did any damage to them whilst they could kill me in 2 hits. Fighting 2 of them at once in an enclosed space was not fun! Lol.

Its a stunning game though. Fav bit so far was definitely Sens Fortress itself! So good! The exploration element really adds a whole other level over Demon's Souls.

6 hours ago, CrichStand said:

However, at the right level, with the right weapon, most stuff has been a doddle so far [...] Zweihander

Everything is a doddle with the Zweihander. :D

It was sadly nerfed in the sequel but it's basically easy mode for DS1. I agree that it's nowhere near as hard as it's sometimes made out to be, but you'd probably be having a tougher time using any other weapon.

There's nothing wrong with using it mind. My Zweihander run was probably the most fun I've had with the game. :D

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I’m level 26, I think - should I be able to beat the gargoyle boss? He’s sapping my will to live. 

Maybe I’m just doing it wrong. 

You can beat them at level 1. It's just a tough fight on your first time through. You can make things a bit easier for yourself though:

Spoiler

If you turn human, you'll find a summon sign by the entrance to the fight. It's a lot easier with help.

7 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Fav bit so far was definitely Sens Fortress itself! So good!

Excuse me, I think you'll find that its official name is Sen's House of Fun.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

You can beat them at level 1

Dude, is that a veiled ‘git gud’ ? :lol:

I had a great session this afternoon. I discovered how to make progress into New Londo Ruins and met a lovely chap dressed in red. It’s a bit brutal in there though, what with the swarming enemies, so I’ll go back there later to see what’s behind the alluring white mist doorway in the distance. 

I decided to go back to Undead Burg and explore more of the lower area, that I unlocked with a key I got from... somewhere. Found the Frank Capra Demon and explained to him that it’s a horrible life. With my sword. 

Next up was The Depths. Man, this place is dark. And labyrinthine. And full of work for the axe. And at the bottom? A fucking nightmare made of teeth. I mean, this boss has teeth on its teeth. But I did it - first time! 

Now Blight Town beckons. And the Gargoyle boss. But maybe I’ll go back to Darkroot Garden first - perhaps the enemies there aren’t so tough now I’ve levelled up a bit? Then again, the skeletons near Firelink Shrine are still deadly, even now. Crumbs!

5 hours ago, Popo said:

I’m level 26, I think - should I be able to beat the gargoyle boss? He’s sapping my will to live. 

Maybe I’m just doing it wrong. 

Yeah, as Mogster says you can beat stuff at pretty much any level. What I’ve found is that your Soul Lvl is not as important as your Weapon and it’s Lvl. Some other bits I’ve picked up.......

1. Make sure you’re fast rolling by having less than 50% equip load.

2. Ditch your shield. Rolling and going two handed provides far more of an advantage against most enemies.

3. With most bosses.......don’t be scared to let rip! Just roll into them and press against them and try to stay behind them. Don’t get carried away attacking though, always make sure you have time and stamina to roll and evade any specific attacks. That’s how I did the Gargoyles. Aggressive, laid into them, got them out of there as quickly as possible. Faster the fight ends, less chance there is of being clipped!

4. If you get stuck try something different or go somewhere else. The game is incredibly well designed. There is always something you’ve missed or not discovered yet. There is always a way through!

Sounds like you’re doing well and progressing at a good pace! I found Capra Demon to be more challenging than the Gargoyles. Think it was luck more than anything that saw me through there! Route I’ve taken so far.....

Undead.

Darkroot.

Gargoyles.

Capra Demon.

Depths.

Blight Town.

Valley of the Drakes.

Went back and fetched Zweihander.

Asylum (tried to get Black Knight Sword.....didn’t drop).

Sen’s Fortress.

Anor Londo.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Everything is a doddle with the Zweihander. :D

It was sadly nerfed in the sequel but it's basically easy mode for DS1. I agree that it's nowhere near as hard as it's sometimes made out to be, but you'd probably be having a tougher time using any other weapon.

There's nothing wrong with using it mind. My Zweihander run was probably the most fun I've had with the game. :D

You can beat them at level 1. It's just a tough fight on your first time through. You can make things a bit easier for yourself though:

Reveal hidden contents

If you turn human, you'll find a summon sign by the entrance to the fight. It's a lot easier with help.

Yeah, having loads of fun using Zweihander! Took a bit of getting used to, as it’s pretty slow and I prefer quick attacks. But once I’d got used to it.......WAHOOOO! Smashing those annoying Serpent Men up felt amazing! Wanted the Black Knight’s Sword but it didn’t drop, neither did the Boar Helm. Boooo! Still, got loads of Titanite Shards from Sen’s, so when I next get chance, Zweihander is getting some serious upgrades for even more smash power! :)

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Dude, is that a veiled ‘git gud’ ? :lol:

I'd never stoop so low! I just meant that there's no level requirement for beating them. Like Crichstand said your weapon upgrades will make much more of a difference there anyway.

Sounds like you're tearing through the game now anyway, and you've got the"fun" Blight Town looming ahead. ;)

Blight Town is gaaaaash! And it’s got cunting poison flooring at the bottom - I hate poison flooring! 

So yea, I got through Blight Town and made it to Quelaag’s Domain, but I’ve also smoten the big butterfly, explored the Darkroot basin (and found a lovely shortcut) and defeated the Bell Gargoyle. A very busy day - time for a break!

I’ve defeated Quelaag, but her gaff is a dead end. I’m looking for a subtle hint on how to get the hell out of Blight Town - please don’t tell me I need to climb all the way back to the top? :unsure:

(I don’t even think that’s possible...)

@Popothere is another ascent, look for a different set of platforms to those you came down on.

Edit - you can get up the way you came down but it’s exactly the hellish nightmare you would expect it to be.

24 minutes ago, sammy said:

@Popothere is another ascent, look for a different set of platforms to those you came down on.

Edit - you can get up the way you came down but it’s exactly the hellish nightmare you would expect it to be.

Thanks Sammy, I found an area with a big water wheel, am I on the right track?

Sen’s Fortress, then. I can’t decide if this place best represents the developer having a good old chuckle at the player’s expense, or if it’s the ‘curse’ status effect, but they’re both doing a similar thing, and I don’t like it! I really don’t want to ruin the experience for anyone else, but I’ve had about 7 or 8 runs at the place now, and not once has an enemy killed me - it’s all been the environment. Fume!

Also, I decided against going back to New Londo, since there’s no longer anywhere nearby to respawn. Hopefully I get the chance later, but the swarming enemies are kinda awful anyway. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Sen’s Fortress, then. I can’t decide if this place best represents the developer having a good old chuckle at the player’s expense, or if it’s the ‘curse’ status effect, but they’re both doing a similar thing, and I don’t like it! I really don’t want to ruin the experience for anyone else, but I’ve had about 7 or 8 runs at the place now, and not once has an enemy killed me - it’s all been the environment. Fume!

Also, I decided against going back to New Londo, since there’s no longer anywhere nearby to respawn. Hopefully I get the chance later, but the swarming enemies are kinda awful anyway. 

For me, it’s the best area in the game so far. In fact, I doubt it’ll get any better than that. Probably tops anything in Demon’s Souls too. Reminds me of the old kids TV show Knightmare, crossed with a hint of Ocarina of Time! 

Totally get what you’re saying about the developers having a chuckle with the design though. It’s something I noticed when playing Demon’s. They definitely must have been having a laugh with some of the stuff they included, knowing that the player would be getting pissed off! Things like the last walkway in Sen’s itself or the Bonfire placement........it’s clearly purposefully done and feels like a wind up! When you’re able to laugh along with the game, at what it’s asking you to do, then it’s all great.......however, sometimes it does seem to go a bit too far with it.......

I’ve just got to a bit in Anor Londo that is really testing my patience. A 1 minute run from the bonfire, down a lift, over a bridge with nothing happening.......then 2 giant Knights to fight where the lock on constantly screws up.........then 5 flying Demon’s to beat, with 2 that fire projectiles.........then a run over a walkway and along an incredibly narrow ledge........with Black Knights blocking the narrow ledge at both ends............whilst firing massive arrows that if you block them, knock you off the ledge..........and once you make it to one of the Knights, they attack with their sword doing huge damage and knock you off the ledge even if you block.........and if you attack and your sword hits the wall then you’re knocked off the ledge too! 

Had 3 goes at it and then just switched it off, as its a massive piss take, that crosses the line into being sadistic and unfair. When I’m in a better mood and able to laugh along with the game, I’m sure I’ll blast through it........just hope there’s not more of it waiting around the corner!!!

You are both at notorious areas.

I like the idea of Sen's Fortress but I don't think it actually works out as great design - more just repetitively banging your head against it instead. It doesn't get much easier with future playthroughs, which I think says it all.

The Anor London archers are legendary, but once you work out the way to take on the ledge knights it gets a lot easier. There's lot of good stuff waiting around the corner, two things in particular. :)

Loving reading your experiences. Reminds me of Dark Calls.

40 minutes ago, Ravern said:

You are both at notorious areas.

I like the idea of Sen's Fortress but I don't think it actually works out as great design - more just repetitively banging your head against it instead. It doesn't get much easier with future playthroughs, which I think says it all.

The Anor London archers are legendary, but once you work out the way to take on the ledge knights it gets a lot easier. There's lot of good stuff waiting around the corner, two things in particular. :)

Loving reading your experiences. Reminds me of Dark Calls.

Yeah, just had a quick look online, whilst trying not to spoil anything and noticed a lot of people getting pissed off with the same bit! Lol.

You know a game is good when, even though you’ve switched it off with a big “errrrr.......NOPE”, 5mins later you’re thinking.........”Yeah, just one more quick go and I could have that sorted”, and you’re having to resist putting it back on again! :)

Interesting to get a different opinion on Sen’s. I agree with you that it definitely has a fair bit of trial and error to it. However, I felt with that trial and error, that by the middle of the area I was learning and adapting and sort of like - “yeah, right! I’ll definitely walk straight through that door, like a Boulder isn’t going to roll straight over me”! It felt a bit like a game of Cat and Mouse with whoever designed the area. “HA! Nice try! But I’m not going to be falling for that”! And then I enter the next room and proceed to run to the strangely placed big treasure chest, to get my well earned treas.........oh. There were definitely some elements of that playing through Demon’s Souls, only here it was extended out across a whole level. It felt very tongue in cheek and for me worked well because of it.

I think I know how I can progress with the Archers! For starters I’m going to follow my own advice and leg it past all the other enemies! Another sign that a game is exceptionally good, is when you trust in its design. I’m feeling that there’ll be a bonfire pop up pretty soon and I’ll eventually think back on the Anor Londo Archers fondly.......whilst getting ragged all over the place by a massive boss! 

Sen's is an all-time classic piece of level design. I love how it all fits together and the way you can kind of get into the machinery of it at certain points. There's plenty to see there beyond the main path through. 

11 hours ago, CrichStand said:

For me, it’s the best area in the game so far. In fact, I doubt it’ll get any better than that. Probably tops anything in Demon’s Souls too. Reminds me of the old kids TV show Knightmare, crossed with a hint of Ocarina of Time! 

This comment made me wonder: which Zelda OOT area is most like Sen's?

Which prompted me to try and think which other OOT dungeons have Dark Souls equivalents. Spoilers for surprising features of areas that are in your and @Popo's future...

Spoiler

• Kokiri Forest area where you get the sword = Sen's Fortress (rolling boulders!)
  • Deku Tree = Undead Asylum (training area), or Quelaag's Domain (spider boss)
  • Dodongo's Cavern = Undead Burg (introduces bombs) or The Duke's Archives (it has a big dragon!)
  • Jabu Jabu's Belly = Lost Izalith (eye-searingly painful colours!)
  • Forest Temple = New Londo Ruins (g-g-ghosts!)
  • Fire Temple = Demon Ruins
  • Water Temple = The obvious choice would be to say it's like New Londo Ruins because of the changing water level. But I think it's more equivalent to Tomb of the Giants: it's frustrating to navigate, and you have to keep activating an item (Iron Boots/Skull Lantern) to progress.
  • Shadow Temple = Anor Londo, because it's a long, slow trek back to the boss every time. (Plus it's full of illusions...)
  • Spirit Temple = Either Blighttown (very vertical), Anor Londo (accessible in two different forms...), or the Undead Asylum (because you go back there once when young, and once when you've grown up a bit).
  • Ganon's Castle = Undead Parish (you fight the boss on the roof)
  • Hyrule Castle = Duke's Archives (castle with a nice enclosed garden area)
  • Sacred Forest Meadow = Darkroot Garden
  • Bottom of the Well = Dark! Narrow! Scary! Depths of Three Features
  • Dampe's Graveyard Race = The Catacombs
  • Ice Cavern = Crystal Cave
  • Lake Hylia = Again, you might say it's like New Londo because you have to drain the water, but I think it's more like Darkroot Basin.
  • Hyrule Field - The Valley of Drakes (hub area linking lots of other areas)
  • Gerudo Fortress - The Duke's Archives (you get thrown in prison)

Struggling to think of a Dark Souls equivalent to Lon Lon Ranch... or an OOT equivalent of The Painted World, The Great Hollow or Ash Lake!

That’s Sen’s Fortress done! I actually rather like it in hindsight. I went from feeling like I was being laughed at to laughing along with Miyazaki. Lots of weird and wonderful enemies in there, too, even though the boss was a bit of a pushover. 

I’ve now been spirited away to Anor Londo. Wow! This place is huge, and looks extremely cool compared to the wretched places I’ve been so far. I look forward to dying many, many times. :)

Oh god. That bit in Anor Londo. That bit. You know the one. The spears. The falling. I got past it, but took a wrong turn and ended up back outside. Now I have to do it again. How many more times must I have to fall off the ledge of that bloody building?

Ahhh!

26 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oh god. That bit in Anor Londo. That bit. You know the one. The spears. The falling. I got past it, but took a wrong turn and ended up back outside. Now I have to do it again. How many more times must I have to fall off the ledge of that bloody building?

Ahhh!

Is that the bit with the Archers I was on about? I had another session earlier and managed to get past it in a couple of goes. Best thing to do is lure the right one towards you, go back to the walkway and he falls off the edge! Thankfully there’s a bonfire just past that bit.

Shortly after that, i mistook an NPC for an enemy and ended up attacking them! A fight broke out and so I killed them and I’ve now screwed that strand of story. :/ 

Took on O&$. Heard how a lot of people think it’s the hardest fight in the game. I found the only difficulty came from the 2min+ run to the boss and the camera going mental during the fight! Took me about 5 attempts to get them down. Started to realise that the bosses in these games basically only really require two techniques to beat. If they’re small and quick then you just hang back, roll and counter. If they’re big, you can just roll straight into them, attack from behind, then roll away when they do their big close range attack. 

There was a cutscene showing some doors opening but I couldn’t tell what areas they were in, which has screwed my progression a bit and left the game feeling a little bit directionless and flat. Not helped that I then went to the two most annoying areas I’ve encountered yet - Catacombs (enemies that don’t die, chase you and surround you, even though I’ve killed the Magicians and beaten the boss, wtf!?!?) and New Londo (numerous enemies I can’t hit because of walls that they’re attacking me through)! Spent most of my playtime shouting some very choice words at at the TV!

After seemingly finishing those areas I wandered around for a bit and discovered a mini boss. Another example of the designers taking the piss - fighting a boss in water, that drops off into an abyss you can’t see! Lol. 

So, I’ve now got to a point where I’ve got no idea of where to go or what to do. Just been told I need to find Arturias but no clue as to where he might be. Also having to restart the game from a bonfire that is miles away from where I need to be, or a bonfire that requires slightly less travelling but requires me to get past a group of 5 high powered enemies all bunched together. :/

39 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Shortly after that, i mistook an NPC for an enemy and ended up attacking them! A fight broke out and so I killed them and I’ve now screwed that strand of story. :/ 

Which NPC?

Since you said it was just past the fire, presumably you mean

Spoiler

Siegmeyer the Onion Knight

and not

Spoiler

Solaire the Sun Bro?

46 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Which NPC?

Since you said it was just past the fire, presumably you mean

Reveal hidden contents

Siegmeyer the Onion Knight

and not

Reveal hidden contents

Solaire the Sun Bro?

The first one. His gold armour threw me, thought he was one of those Knights that don’t attack till you get up close, so slapped him one as soon as I entered the room! 

Right, the NPC I spoke to in New Londo said something like - “you cannot survive in the Abyss. You must find Artorias and get his help to make it through there”. I took that as - “you need to find Artorias before you attempt to enter the Abyss”. I can’t think of anywhere else that I can currently progress. He’s actually in the Abyss itself isn’t he? That’s proper bullshit if so!