Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've started this again on Switch for evenings when my other half has the TV and having an absolute blast. I've foregone all subtlety and have put almost every point into Strength while rocking the Black Knight Sword 2-handed. I've just killed Capra/Havel/Moonlight Butterfly in 3 hits at 35 STR. :lol:  It's not the cleverest build but by god it's a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I picked up the remaster in the Xbox sale. Never played a Souls game before!

I keep accidentally healing myself instead of hitting enemies :doh:

:lol:

Conversely, I've completed Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1,2 and 3 and recently went back to DS3 for an NG+ run and I couldn't stop doing this either. No idea why, possibly The Witcher 3 effect but haven't played that for ages either. Weird. 

4 hours ago, David Heath said:

Might do a run where every time you use the Estus Flask you have to take a shot.

Dark Rum only. 

Ive switched back to Bloodborne for a spell. Did manage to get up to the Big-ass Butterfly before putting it down again, so that’s progress. Those feckin’ trees can do one. 

I'm doing the DLC now... I've defeated Artorious but that bit with the two wizard things then the walking lump with chains is absolutely kicking my arse.

I can see why folks think Artorious is the best boss.  It felt like a proper fight and not a run around to find a cheese spot (exactly how I defeated 4 kings)

Booted the PS4 version up over the weekend on PS5, but it seems to be unable to connect online (fails at downloading regulations). Anyone experiencing similar issues? Can't really deduce if it's a problem on my side or at Bandai Namco's.

Jumped back on this and I’ve got complete paralysis about what to do next. I’ve just put the Lordvessel away in the big snake guy’s hole in the ground, and I have to choose how to be violently beaten.

I think I’ll get enough Souls to level up and bank what I’ve got, then go get slapped about a bit. It feels really clunky playing at 30fps on Switch after Demon’s Remake though, and my builds are totally different, so I’m having a time of it.

Not going to happen, but a Bluepoint job on this would be heavenly. This and Demon's are my favourites of the series. Left my Remastered playthrough at Anor Londo and can't imagine what going back 30fps will feel like after new Demon's.

5 hours ago, squirtle said:

It will feel fine. I played DeS on the PS3 straight after DS2:SOTFS on Xbox One which is 60Fps. If anything, DS2 felt weird to me and all the others, BB, DS, DeS and DS3 feel right. But that may just be me.

Nah DS2 is a weird one, something feels very different about how you control your character. 

7 hours ago, Steven said:

Not going to happen, but a Bluepoint job on this would be heavenly. This and Demon's are my favourites of the series. Left my Remastered playthrough at Anor Londo and can't imagine what going back 30fps will feel like after new Demon's.

Remastered is 60fps on PS4 though, if you can get access to that version?

40 minutes ago, robdood said:

Remastered is 60fps on PS4 though, if you can get access to that version?

I've been playing in on the One X, so I'm assuming I've actually been playing it at 60fps and it not registering with me.

11 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Booted the PS4 version up over the weekend on PS5, but it seems to be unable to connect online (fails at downloading regulations). Anyone experiencing similar issues? Can't really deduce if it's a problem on my side or at Bandai Namco's.

I picked up the trilogy boxset the other day, tried Dark Souls Remastered on my PS5 and didn't encounter any such issue. That said, I only played to Firelink Shrine, mainly just to see how it ran. 

Now, its probably a combination of just having played DeS remake and also not having played Dark Souls since 2013 (on PC) but man - even at 60fps - I was not expecting it to look and feel quite as rough as it does. Old news for sure but man, the lighting engine in Remastered is just proper shite. I'd even say its a downgrade in many respects. Metallic surfaces no longer look as shiny as they once did and there's a distinct lack of contrast on the overall image now. In some cases, it looks like the game has had its lighting removed rather than replaced. I think anyone could be forgiven for thinking the labelling on the screenshots below got mixed up.

image.png.4dabb8c77cbdb7d6a267c976fd7782cb.png

But grumbles aside, and given how long its been, I'm quite looking forward to playing through it again. Having revisited and completed Bloodborne, DaS2 and DaS3 over the last year, its time to trek through Lordran once again.

Just to provide some closure on the network issues: played Tetris Effect and noticed it too didn't connect to servers for leaderboards. Turned out the PS5 didn't allow any PS4 game to access network functionality. Turned the PS5 completely off, rebooted my modem, booted everything up, and presto, it works again for PS4 and PS5 games. How odd that it would exclude PS4 games like that...

• 1 month later...

I think I’ve fucked up.  I freed Lautrec then beat the Gargoyles, then managed to aggro him at Firelink and now the bonfire has gone out.  I’m onto Capra next but think Firelink was the easiest/fastest route to get to the fucking prick? 

Sadly yes.  You can get back from the undead burg via the gated shortcut near the fire bombers though..more enemies though.

or run from the bonfire above the blacksmith, through the church, and down the elevator then Through the sewer which is safer.

Been playing for a couple of nights. Surprised by at least initially finding the going easier than Bloodborne but having reached Undead Parish it’s starting to kick my arse hard. Still, I’m enjoying it mostly, having the shield is really helpful, but I’m all over the place timing wise with parrying - cracked the gun interrupt “parry” in BB pretty well eventually so hoping it’s just a teething prob

Man I’d love it if BB got a PC remaster. 

You don’t really need to master parrying. I only really started to get the hang of it recently playing Demon’s Souls on PS5. Barely parried anything across two Dark Souls 1 play-throughs and an entire Dark Souls 2 run. 

Someone in the original Dark Souls thread said “forget parrying”, or words to that effect. I assume you can equip and use the shield to stun-lock enemies? I’ve never got the timing right though, Bloodborne is way more generous in that regard. 

Maybe I should get back to this now I’m finally done with Yharnam. 

The only reason you should be doing it is because it’s fucking gangsta and it’s got an epic sound effect. Other than that, it really isn’t worth the risk. Once you’re a decent level you can maybe try busting it out every now and again whenever you’re toying with scrubs during a farming sesh. 

Without being a total prick, parrying in Dark Souls is the most straightforward in the series but it depends on the shield you're using. With a Buckler, the window is fucking massive. Any normal mob scum, just tap L2 as they're in the downswing and BOOFFFFFFFFFF walk up and R1.

BOOOOSTAAHHH.

Totally unnecessary though, it's much quicker to just circle them when they swing and backstab.