Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

It isn't any good in general.

I've spent enough time on this forum articulating why DS2 is great   (and in some ways the best of them all) so I won't do it again - all I will say is a lot of people hate it and a lot of people absolutely love it. And the ones who hate it are wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I've spent enough time on this forum articulating why DS2 is great   (and in some ways the best of them all) so I won't do it again - all I will say is a lot of people hate it and a lot of people absolutely love it. And the ones who hate it are wrong. 

#praisethesun

\o/

How on earth is anyone supposed to figure out how to access the Artorias DLC without using a guide? Ridiculous and tedious. I can't find the pendant in my inventory but have definitely killed that Golem, so am hoping it works. I haven't bought the inventory management chest so have like 18 million bits of junk on me, so it might be in there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How on earth is anyone supposed to figure out how to access the Artorias DLC without using a guide? Ridiculous and tedious. I can't find the pendant in my inventory but have definitely killed that Golem, so am hoping it works. I haven't bought the inventory management chest so have like 18 million bits of junk on me, so it might be in there somewhere.

Honestly the first part of the DLC can be a bit of a git too, I really struggled on that since I got there first with a melee character on NG+ first time through.

16 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Maybe it's your complete lack of engagement with the game beyond the combat? 

I don't see why you feel the need to get snarky. Other than combat or exploration, I'm not sure what you'd like me to engage with. I explore every nook and cranny I can find - though recent areas have been pretty rubbish - Lost Izalith is mainly souls and titanite chunks, as far as I can tell. The bosses so far have been the least interesting part of the game, actually.

Do you think the way you access the DLC is reasonable and accessible? Even if not, do you think if I was playing it according whatever criteria you've set for The Correct Way To Play Dark Souls, most people would find it organically?

I'm directing you to the fact that you're clearly missing vast chunks of what the game involves and what it's really about besides 'boss fights'.

Rather than just let you struggle through griping, I'm prompting you to engage with the information it offers. If you do or don't, that's completely up to you. 

15 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I'm directing you to the fact that you're clearly missing vast chunks of what the game involves and what it's really about besides 'boss fights'.

Rather than just let you struggle through griping, I'm prompting you to engage with the information it offers. If you do or don't, that's completely up to you. 

Vic and Bob Handbags.jpg

24 minutes ago, Marlew said:

You keep saying I’m missing vast bits of the game. I’ve told you I explore as much as I can and I read the item descriptions as much I can - especially in locations I’m more interested in.

So what am I missing? Is there a clue that I’ve missed that would send me back to that very specific Golem that I’ve already killed and didn’t drop anything? What is the bit of information I’ve not engaged with?

49 minutes ago, Marlew said:

This kind of attitude to people playing the game doesn't really help. 

Should a game require you to go off and read a wiki to understand it's story? Should a wiki be needed to understand how to access content you have paid for? Dark Souls does a lot of things right, but let's not give it a free pass on the stuff it doesn't. 

I also don't get why people bang on about the characters in the game. I think the NPCs are OK to talk to, but the fact that they just turn up at prescribed points to do stuff doesn't lead to me to have any engagement with them. 

24 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Vic and Bob Handbags.jpg

:lol:

I'll take that on the chin.

@HarryBizzle

I'm not keen to tell you how to play it, to be completely straightforward, but it's an incredibly cohesive and instructional game if you look into item descriptions and environmental cues/clues and speak to NPCs. I doubt most people would pick up on most stuff first time around, but I would encourage you to take it a bit more on its own terms. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out.

Sorry to be sniffy, but your apparent focus on boss fights meant you were missing out on much of what makes the game. The 'git gud prepare to die' stuff is total Bandai Namco marketing bollocks. I don't think many people who love the game would cite the boss fights as one of the main reasons. 

I've played every Soulsborne game and ignored the lore in all of them, which has never one detracted from my enjoyment of playing and exploring them. I'm sure I'm not alone. The world building remains incredible regardless of how much you engage with it I think, indeed I think not trying to take it so seriously actually papers over some of the thematic cracks which upset other people (DS2 again).

It's good that it's there if you choose to engage with it, but it's not essential imo.

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

:lol:

I'll take that on the chin.

@HarryBizzle

I'm not keen to tell you how to play it, to be completely straightforward, but it's an incredibly cohesive and instructional game if you look into item descriptions and environmental cues/clues and speak to NPCs. I doubt most people would pick up on most stuff first time around, but I would encourage you to take it a bit more on its own terms. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out.

Sorry to be sniffy, but your apparent focus on boss fights meant you were missing out on much of what makes the game. The 'git gud prepare to die' stuff is total Bandai Namco marketing bollocks. I don't think many people who love the game would cite the boss fights as one of the main reasons. 

I think you might be talking rubbish, to be honest. I’ve asked you twice now what these vast chunks I’m apparently missing are and you’ve not really been able to answer generally or specifically about what I’ve missed in relation to accessing the DLC. If you can tell me what is cohesive or instructional about how you access the DLC, I’ll happily take this back. 

Just because I post “did boss x” doesn’t mean that’s what I’m focused or really inform anything about how I play these games. The fact that I’m still playing despite being completely non-plussed by the majority of them should tell you how much I care about the combat. 

1 minute ago, squirtle said:

This kind of attitude to people playing the game doesn't really help. 

Should a game require you to go off and read a wiki to understand it's story? Should a wiki be needed to understand how to access content you have paid for? Dark Souls does a lot of things right, but let's not give it a free pass on the stuff it doesn't. 

I also don't get why people bang on about the characters in the game. I think the NPCs are OK to talk to, but the fact that they just turn up at prescribed points to do stuff doesn't lead to me to have any engagement with them. 

Yep, as I say, I'll take that on the chin. I was bored of reading about how bored he was of the game, and felt that he was missing a good chunk of it. If you play Dark Souls 3 first, it's hard to understand what makes Dark Souls.

Beyond that, I'm happy to nod at your points about lore and NPCs. I obviously feel differently but not got time right now to discuss in any depth. 

The bosses in DS1 are still my favourite - so much more variety in the bosses themselves and the environments they're in.

Even Bed of Chaos, which is awful, was at least trying something different. Not just another big bloke in armour in a large square room. 

They also knew when to die.

Man, the Artorias DLC is tougher than the rest of the game by some way. That Sanctuary Guardian was so much fun - really fast and relentless. 

Currently fighting Artorias, who is also a bit tricky. 

I do wish the Royal Wood was a bit more interesting, but there’s still bits I haven’t explored yet, so I’m hoping for some good secrets. 

It's way into the past, basically. When you're done, I'd recommend Vaati Vidya's YT channel and especially the episode about Artorias. What the DLC does to recontextualise the myth of that character is inspired. 

Doing the DLC before fighting Sif ...:D*yeah i beat it*...oh...:mellow:...oh....:(

and to give some context to the above posts about the past:-

Spoiler

where you fight the last boss in the DLC, is where you fight the four kings. as in, its the same map placement!!! And about artorios..think about what you have read about him...compared to how you see him...