rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Thanks all. Reassuring messages to wake up to re: parrying!

It’s probably a good sign that after a decent nights sleep I’m already itching to get back to the game..... mostly to see if the Onion guy and I are friends again :)

Every time I hear Onion Guy mentioned I imagine Davos from GOT.

Just to further ram the point home I never parry in Souls aside from occasionally messing around trying to do it against mooks, including in my SL1 95% melee run a few weeks back. I imagine it's probably a lot more useful in PvP but the risk/reward never seems great for PvE. Bloodborne has the only one I've found reliable enough to get into the habit of using, though I haven't played Sekiro yet.

In fact I almost think of parrying and shields as traps for the way I prefer to play these things, it always reads like you're trying to be 'hardcore' if you say you don't use either but it's kind of the opposite. I find it makes things much easier. If you're two-handing something and don't parry, there's no ambiguity. You just know you're going to try and iFrame though, with no split second of indecision wondering whether to dodge, block or parry in the heat of the moment (and sometimes getting all flustered and pressing the wrong button even if you decided in time). If you fuck it up, you know you got the timing or direction wrong so you can get straight to the business of doing it better rather than wasting time flipping through other options. I guess in fighting game terms it's reducing both your short and long-term mental stack.

Someone wondered about ranged sorcerers and personally I think that's totally viable even early on, that's what I did on the run before. If you want an easier time of it with a similar ranged magic vibe though, pyromancy is super powerful.

• Upvote 3

Ornstein. 

And. 

Smough. 

O. M. G. 

How on earth is this battle at all possible?!

Any tips?

I’m even struggling with the big knights outside the fog door - can’t believe they respawn! I’ve started running past them, but will that make it harder to summon in an NPC?

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

:D

It's a good un, eh? This is probably the Dark Souls boss fight. If you really want to summon, your best bet is to do it from the bonfire. 

It's doable solo, though. Focus on keeping them both in view as best you can, and concentrate all your attacks on one of them, don't spread the damage. It's generally considered a bit easier to do Ornstein first (thin stabby spear guy). 

However long it takes, the reward will be worth it. 

Kill fast spear dude first, then Smough. To kill Smough always keep an obstacle (broken pillar?) between you and him, except after he attacks nip out and poke him then dash back behind the obstacle.

There’s an NPC summon on the stairs before the fight, and you can just run past the giant guards. If you do summon help, make sure they don’t kill Smough first (happened to me) and it can be easier to wait until they’re dead before properly engaging the second part.

Only the dlc gets harder than this.

They have very low health, relative to other bosses, so being patient and countering moves with 1-2 hits with a strong weapon will drop them faster than you think. The crystal weapon from the chest at the start of Anor Londo, or the Lightning spear (if desperate) from the chest in Sens Fortress work well if your regular weapons are a little underpowered. 

As the posters above say, Ornstein is a good first target. He's much much faster and will stab your squishy back while you're trying to beat down Smough, plus.... yeah. You'll see. 

• Upvote 1

I usually just do a backwards circuit of the room keeping them both in view, if you do that and concentrate on staying as safe as possible Ornstein will keep coming to you and you'll have opportunities to get hits in. The hardest thing is dealing with the times his long-range lunge glitches out.

7 hours ago, Danno said:

They have very low health, relative to other bosses, so being patient and countering moves with 1-2 hits with a strong weapon will drop them faster than you think. The crystal weapon from the chest at the start of Anor Londo, or the Lightning spear (if desperate) from the chest in Sens Fortress work well if your regular weapons are a little underpowered. 

As the posters above say, Ornstein is a good first target. He's much much faster and will stab your squishy back while you're trying to beat down Smough, plus.... yeah. You'll see. 

I think they’re lightning immune aren’t they? Fire works well against them though.

One down! Managed to kill Ornstein and was doing alright against Smough but my Furysword didn’t seem to be doing much damage - is he not vulnerable to fire when he goes all lighting-infused? 

Having got it down to one, it feels more possible now, so thanks for the tips!

EDIT: this felt good!

• Upvote 6

Any remaining bro gets a slight def boost in second form. 

PS: the Furysword scales with dex and Humanity (5 humanity for max multiplier iirc). 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sun Tze said:

Any remaining bro gets a slight def boost in second form. 

PS: the Furysword scales with dex and Humanity (5 humanity for max multiplier iirc). 

I should probably know this by now, but does that mean I have to be human, or just have the number in the top right showing more than zero?

Ever since I got invaded in Blightown at an annoying point I’ve avoided becoming human. 

1 minute ago, Bushtopher said:

I should probably know this by now, but does that mean I have to be human, or just have the number in the top right showing more than zero?

Ever since I got invaded in Blightown at an annoying point I’ve avoided becoming human. 

Just the number in the top left, so don't need to be in human form for the multiplier to be in effect. It could help to use one to heal before phase 2 for a little extra dmg. 

So, I’ve just defeated Ornstein and Smough, but in a really unsatisfying manner. 

I was making progress, killing Ornstein a few times but getting frustrated. Thought I’d have a go at summoning someone - the first time I’ve tried this - and, well, it worked too well. Was an absolute breeze and I feel like I’ve cheated somehow and missed out on a satisfying battle that I’d eventually have been victorious in. 

Ah well. Lesson learned I guess. Plus I have an excuse for another play through now :)

• Upvote 4

What format are you on? If it's PS4 or Steam you could always check your cloud saves if you'd really prefer to do it solo.

Don’t beat yourself up about co-oping O&S. There’s a theory that the boss battle itself exists to actually encourage players to try out co-op who might not have otherwise. You’ll get them both yourself on one of your many replays in the future I’m sure.

• Upvote 6

(that theory is wrong)

You can of course do it - properly - next time. I guess.

Win at Dark Souls any way you can, brother ;)

• Upvote 3

Absolutely no shame in summoning. It's why Mr SunBro has a summon sign there. It also makes it feel even better when you not only go back and do it solo on your next play through, but you also start to help out when others are struggling. And trust me, summoning is still no guarantee on beating them

• Upvote 3

Thanks - these comments are making me feel better about it, and now I get to press on with the game :) This whole thread has been great actually - really helps to see supportive comments and the like, so thank you all!

I’ve also been listening to Dark Calls as I go which has been really entertaining - not just for the Dark Souls chat (hearing James’s frustration at O and S made me feel less bad about my own struggles), but also the surrounding chat - it’s like a gaming time capsule (the last one had Dave talking about a new game called Rocket League he was playing and speculation about the next Nintendo console). So thanks @jcafarley and @elmo (is that Dave’s username?). 

Time to move on from Anor Londo. Must say that apart from the lovely views I’ve not really enjoyed it here - everything feels very spaced out and the enemies were pretty bland on the whole. I’m glad that the Onion guy (Siegmeyer?) and I have made up and are friends again. Was good to see him back at Firelink. 

I carried on playing last night and went back to the Undead Asylum and took out the new demon guy that was there, and that made me feel better too :)

Expect it will be the Catacombs next, but have another episode of Dark Calls to catch up with first. 

• Upvote 5

Dark Calls was what got me to try Dark Souls in the first place. I'd heard about the game before, but always worried that it wasn't for me. Hearing James getting further and further into it, it sounded like a really interesting world to be in. So I took the plunge and picked up a second-hand PS3 copy cheap from CEX. I quickly caught up with where James was and finished it around the same time he did. I loved it and now own it on PS3, Xbox 360, PC (original and remastered), plus both sequels on PC too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

You could put down your sign and be summoned to the Smough and Ornstein battle. Chances are you’ll get a mix players at different skill levels. 

That’s a really good idea! I’ve never done that before.... how does it work? If someone summons you does it automatically take you there or can you choose not to go?

• Upvote 1

On 21/05/2020 at 23:05, therearerules said:

Only the dlc gets harder than this.

IMO a later boss in the vanilla game is not necessarily harder than O&S, but certainly more frustrating:

Spoiler

Bed of Chaos.

The trek from the last bonfire to BOC is approximately as long as the one to O&S. But at least the hike through Anor Londo doesn't subject your eyeballs to retina-searing lava!

O&S test your spatial awareness, which is tough, but IMO a satisfying challenge. And with good camera management, you can often keep both in sight at once. You can also stay at long range and methodically practice the timing and telegraphing of their attacks.

But with BOC, I was never able to get much practice at dodging its attacks before dying. You can't look up at the branch arms to see when they're about to attack you, and at the same time get a good view of the solidity of the floor around you. Also the timing of those branch-arm swipes and slams, relative to the warning sound effects, seemed very counter-intuitive!

In my attempts at beating O&S I had many drawn-out battles and exciting near-miss moments; even the times when I died due to my stupidity or recklessness sometimes made me laugh. The Bed of Chaos didn't give me that: I usually just got hit once and died instantly (to the attack or to falling down a pit). When I figured out the safe route and jump/roll angle to the central root platform, I was just glad for it to be over.

There's a good reason it's got a reputation as the most bullshit, unfinished boss in the game. :(

• Upvote 1

It took me three attempts to beat Dark Souls. First time, on the 360, O&S was a brick wall for me even with Sunshine Gary helping out. I just couldn’t do it. It probably hadn’t helped that I hadn’t put any thought into character building or gear. I’d just upgraded all stats equally and was using the biggest, heaviest sword I could wield.

I started again a few years later on PS3, did O&S but got stuck in the Crystal Caves.

The third time was on the PS4 and I just went the easy-ish option using a balder side sword all the way through.

Not much progress to report on since the last update but thought I'd check in.

I've been reexploring Darkroot quite a bit to catch whatever else I missed. I found the hidden bonfire, beat all the ghosts in the Artorias garden, and then beat that gigantic wolf thing after quite a few attempts. It's not too difficult, apart from that one spinning move he does that kills you instantly. I feel pretty good about myself at the moment and I have a clear plan of action for what's next.

I've rested at the bonfire in the cave in Darkroot Basin and I'm going to head in the other direction this time, and see what I can find.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

beat that gigantic wolf thing

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

I feel pretty good about myself at the moment

Ban request.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1