Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On to NG+ :)

Finally managed to summon someone for Gwyn and switched out Grant for a Black Knight Shield and a Mace +14 (didn't find a Titanite Slab)...it was pretty easy with the extra target and super fast rolling, proper Hammer Time going in Mace Two Handed when there was an opening.

Manus and Kalameet will have to wait until next time by which I will have massively levelled up on Endurance.

It's a great feeling starting the game again in NG+, looking forward to getting the Sunlight Spear, onward!!

• Upvote 2

I started playing this a few days ago. Total Souls noob as this is the first time I've played any of these games.

I don't know if I love it or hate it at the moment. :lol:

I definitely hated the Capra Demon. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to give you a 2 minute walk to a boss that can kill you within 5 seconds of entering his room? Think it took me a good 30 or so tries to get him down and most of those involved me dying in those first 5 seconds. Very frustrating but hugely satisfying once he finally died.

I'm now somewhere in Blighttown and hating that too. Partly due to the design choice of a mostly brown environment within which the enemies are also mostly brown. Oh and it's also quite dark so it's really hard to see anything. Brilliant.

So what do I like? The sense of progress is amazing. What did feel tough a few hours ago becomes a gentle stroll. The combat itself is fantastic. Brutal but fantastic with so much choice. I know I've merely scratched the surface of an incredibly complex game system and I want to see more of that system. I really need to try more combat techniques out. Currently I'm just blocking as much as I can and smacking stuff about the chops with a halbred or longsword.

I wouldn't say it's "clicked" with me yet but I'm enjoying it enough to continue playing and see where it takes me.

I should also say thanks to @robdood for his youtube videos. Perfect spoiler free intro for a total beginner like me. Thanks!

• Upvote 6

Capra is a ridiculous piece of boss deisgn. But it's one of the reasons I love the game. Completely audacious - you don't get anything like that anywhere else. I wish there was more stuff like that in the later games.

• Upvote 5

I’ve had this on ps3 for a few years but never got around to playing it. Is it worth me getting it remastered and going with PS4 or should I just stick with the PS3?

Did finish Demon’s Souls in the past and got into it. 

Remaster is 60fps on PS4, just lost a little something in translation if you're very used to the original textures and lighting. The original ran pretty poorly on PS3, as well, just nobody really cared so much back then about dropped frames or any of that. 

Frames have never bothered me too much (as long as it isn’t too noticeable). I might just go through the ps3 game as long as it doesn’t hamper the playability too much. 

@Soulstar shameless plug, I am currently selling PS4 version of remaster for £15 delivered, check trading folder or PM if interested. 

That said, the PS3 version is perfectly playable, a few sections of the game have pretty bad framerate though (like, sub 20.. which is indeed pretty noticable)

I noticed it earlier but don’t want to get it just yet as I spent over £100 just a couple of weeks back on gaming stuff. Just thinking for the future as I saw the thread and was wondering the difference between the two. 

On 14/03/2019 at 10:51, Soulstar said:

I’ve had this on ps3 for a few years but never got around to playing it. Is it worth me getting it remastered and going with PS4 or should I just stick with the PS3?

Did finish Demon’s Souls in the past and got into it. 

Definitely go PS4; Blight Town is chuggy on PS3 plus like everyone says, you can summon on PS4 and actually find people. And it's not much at CEX these days. It's also due a sweet sale price soon on PS Store.

Not too bothered about the online aspect of it. Never did any of that in Demon’s Souls as I preferred it to be entirely my own universe with no outside influence. 

Don't post much here anymore, but I'm back trying Dark Souls again! (got stuck/annoyed at Sen's last time and gave it up). But I'm past that now and currently in Anor Londo :) just remembered getting emotional support on here the first time so thought I'd check in again!

Also, partially wondered if anyone can help out with the name of a DS Let's Play. Think it was linked to on here a few years ago. Anyway it's done by one Scot and one English guy and the Scot is kind of teaching the English guy about Dark Souls as they go through it... and he keeps saying "Marrrteeehh" (Marty) in a really Scottish accent. That's all I remember about it, other than I really liked it. If anyone knows what I'm on about please link me to it :) I can't find it.

Cheers \[T]/

22 hours ago, John0 said:

Don't post much here anymore, but I'm back trying Dark Souls again! (got stuck/annoyed at Sen's last time and gave it up). But I'm past that now and currently in Anor Londo :) just remembered getting emotional support on here the first time so thought I'd check in again!

Possibly keep that support In mind.

On 14/03/2019 at 09:43, SimonC said:

I started playing this a few days ago. Total Souls noob as this is the first time I've played any of these games.

I definitely hated the Capra Demon. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to give you a 2 minute walk to a boss that can kill you within 5 seconds of entering his room? Think it took me a good 30 or so tries to get him down and most of those involved me dying in those first 5 seconds. Very frustrating but hugely satisfying once he finally died.

I'm now somewhere in Blighttown and hating that too. Partly due to the design choice of a mostly brown environment within which the enemies are also mostly brown. Oh and it's also quite dark so it's really hard to see anything. Brilliant.

So what do I like? The sense of progress is amazing. What did feel tough a few hours ago becomes a gentle stroll. The combat itself is fantastic. Brutal but fantastic with so much choice. I know I've merely scratched the surface of an incredibly complex game system and I want to see more of that system. I really need to try more combat techniques out. Currently I'm just blocking as much as I can and smacking stuff about the chops with a halbred or longsword.

I wouldn't say it's "clicked" with me yet but I'm enjoying it enough to continue playing and see where it takes me.

I should also say thanks to @robdood for his youtube videos. Perfect spoiler free intro for a total beginner like me. Thanks!

So I gave up on this. Got to the bottom of blightown and had put around 20 hours into it. I stopped playing when it suddenly hit me that I wasn’t actually having any fun. There’s very much a sense of achievement in making progress and that is satisfying but it all felt a bit too close to work rather than entertainment. 

Sad to hear that, as you had some amazing stuff ahead. If the bosses are bothering you excessively summon help. There are also relatively easy/cheesy coping tactics for most if not all of them.

Just a quick one. Is there any punishment for repeated deaths in this, aside from being zombified and losing your souls? 

If so, I fear I'm going to have a rather tricky time. :/

I've figured out how to backstab, but getting behind them involves rather a lot of Benny Hilling. Excellent fun when it hits the sweet spot though. I'm guessing I need to put souls into the Yakety Sax skill tree to enable more nimbleness?

7 hours ago, jimmbob said:

Just a quick one. Is there any punishment for repeated deaths in this, aside from being zombified and losing your souls? 

If so, I fear I'm going to have a rather tricky time. :/

I've figured out how to backstab, but getting behind them involves rather a lot of Benny Hilling. Excellent fun when it hits the sweet spot though. I'm guessing I need to put souls into the Yaketty Sax skill tree to enable more nimbleness?

No, no punishment. What on earth is Yaketty Sax?

• Upvote 1

Ah great, thanks. It's the music from the Benny Hill show. If my playthough of Dark Souls had a sound track, that would be it, due to all the running away I seem to be doing. 

Getting the hang of this now.  Fought my way through Undead Burg to a tower. Went to the bottom of the tower because the key I started with let me in. Got wallopped by a massive knight!

Went back, got souls back and Benny Hilled out of there. Saved at the bonfire, then went back to the tower. Saw a little side alley, so nippped down there and got splattered by another knight with his back to me!

Time for plan F.

• Upvote 3

On 14/03/2019 at 04:43, SimonC said:

You will learn to love blighttown, so much good there from a level design pov.

there will always be this game map in my head I think......so many special moments nothing comes remotely close

• Upvote 2

Just played through this, first time revisiting the game since I only had the one NG run originally. Since nothing ever comes close to making every day pancake day I just ran straight for the Zweihander and two-handed R2'd my way through the entire thing, as boring as that may seem! It never got old.

Having played a lot of DSII, DSIII and Bloodborne in the meantime it's quite shocking coming back to this in some ways. Not in a bad sense, just in the sense of it not tallying up with the way I remember it. Everything seemed pretty opaque the first time around even coming off the back of Demon's Souls but now it feels like a surprising amount is spelled out really directly right from the start. The opening cutscene tells you a big chunk of the story pretty baldly, showing and naming loads of the bosses, then you're immediately given very clear instructions on where to go, what to do and what your role is.

It's also amazing how (pleasantly) empty it is, having just helped a mate through DSII. All the way through that the gankiness is obvious, but it really hits you hard when jumping straight back to this. So many really nice stretches where you can just take in the atmosphere. You just know if the run from Darkroot Garden to Basin was in DSII they'd have put ten of those ice golems along the way, as it is there's nothing to fight and it's all the better for it.

It feels crazy how much damage some of the bosses take as well, the gargoyles were dead in about three hits each and one drop attack on Capra Demon sliced off about two thirds of his health. They definitely ramped things up a hell of a lot in the subsequent games. I guess Manus is a taste of that as he was the only boss who gave me a good few spankings, I found him pretty difficult with no shield but tried the flippy ring and ended up doing it immediately. How had I never seen that before? If you're a dodger rather than a shielder it feels like you've put a cheat code in. The animation's also pretty funny on my slightly overweight old lady.

I fancy doing NG+ at some point with that ring and dual-wielding the gold/silver shotels as some sort of sparkly ninja. Maybe I'll actually do some multiplayer as well, but I say that every time I play these games and it never happens, I just end up with a massive stockpile of humanity. They're just such satisfying games to solo and scratch an itch few others ever do.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Why dont you try an SL1 run? It is great fun.

It is but New Londo and mAnus were memorable rough spots for me. I believe the two Sanctuary Guardians to actually be impossible even though there is video evidence on YouTube to the contrary.

I think I'll be doing 3 next as I never did the DLC, I kept a save from before the final boss but felt too rusty by the time they came out.

SL1 sounds pretty scary but I do fancy trying at some point. Maybe they'll be on to releasing a full remake by then!

18 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I think I'll be doing 3 next as I never did the DLC, I kept a save from before the final boss but felt too rusty by the time they came out.

SL1 sounds pretty scary but I do fancy trying at some point. Maybe they'll be on to releasing a full remake by then!

Its honestly not that bad.... Certainly not as hard as it sounds. 

45 minutes ago, DC said:

It is but New Londo and mAnus were memorable rough spots for me. I believe the two Sanctuary Guardians to actually be impossible even though there is video evidence on YouTube to the contrary.

New Londo the level was OK, 4 Kings was easily the hardest boss for me (I didnt do the DLC ones).

Two sanctuary guardians? Do you mean the sanctuary guardian and Artorias? Sanctuary Guardian was one of the easiest bosses in the game for me.