IGNORED

Snowpiercer - TV version

JohnC

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I really liked this show but must have paused the first episode of the new season about 12 times, the new I've got to about 15 minutes in and doubt I'll carry on.

I found the first episode hard work too, mainly because I forgot how annoying some characters were!

Second episode is better though.

• 1 month later...

New ep

Spoiler

She's finally back, just in time to do some rug pulling.

Her wee train engine was cute. I know it was shown at the end of the last ep, but I didn't realise how unfeasibly tiny it was.

"Ben back there, waving his big arm about" killed me

I completely lost interest in this a couple of weeks ago, after the episode where Layton confronts his attacker in the tail. It just felt like it had completely run out of steam and was bringing up pointless subplots to pass the time.

I might try and get back into it if it seems like it's going somewhere.

We just stopped watching after a couple of the latest series and have never talked about picking it back up again, it just felt like it ran out of steam, came off the rails,  hit the buffers etc.

We've given up too. They seem to have run out of ideas. That and the last episode we watched with the birth of Layton's child really upset my wife. We lost our baby son the day after he was born last October. It's no fault of the show but it was too much for her that night.

This season has been like pulling teeth, but without the end-result of having taken out harmful, rotting teeth.

It badly needs Jennifer Connolly on screen, it's a bit of a husk without her.

The episode where Layten is in a coma was some of the worst shit I've seen outside of The Walking Dead.....then we get the new episode.  Wtaf was that I just watched?! So many stupid things the character's do, totally forgetting what happened a few days/weeks before.

7 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

The episode where Layten is in a coma was some of the worst shit I've seen outside of The Walking Dead.....then we get the new episode.  Wtaf was that I just watched?! So many stupid things the character's do, totally forgetting what happened a few days/weeks before.

That was dreadful. This week's was better though. 

It does seem to be retreading the same ground now. The challenges of a rebel becoming a leader once they succeed is interesting enough, as history has shown us that well meaning rebels often make terrible, even despotic leaders, but it hasn’t been very skilfully explored here. I’d rather they leaned more into Layton making this reckless decision because he no longer wants to be a leader, but can’t see how to otherwise be free of the role. 

The only hint of something new was at the end of the last episode. 

Spoiler

Which is a possible alliance between Wilfred and Melanie. 

Next episode is the last of the current series, so will be interesting to see how they try to hook me. I’m suspecting at the very last moment we get contact from survivors not on board the train. As surely the next season must be the last. 

New showrunner next season. He was a producer and writer on Lost. In the final run. Yay.

Also, Clark Gregg is joining the cast. I wonder where he was hiding all this time.

As for this weeks finale

Spoiler

Partly where I hoped the show was ending, partly some guff to drag it on further.

I did like Layton's surprise that the guy didn't mention the rickety old trestle that their lived depend on.

Finished it. Very bad. Unintentionally laughable in parts. The writing and characterisations were never very strong - take away your best actor and leave the rest with nothing to do and you’re not left with much. It felt like going over old ground (track?) for most of the run time, and the good old ‘throw different characters together so to unlikely relationships to spice things up’ tactic fell completely flat for me, especially when they just moped about being miserable. The very epitome of ‘will this do?’ television making. Kinda wished that was it done, put us all out of our misery. 

Spoiler

What a horrible waste of LJ. She’s been one of the most fun characters throughout the show, deserved a much better death than that. Very disappointing third season. Josie dropping in and out of the show at random, characters making preposterous decisions, ridiculous contrivances . Sean Bean is still a delight but overall a huge drop off after two very enjoyable seasons of TV. 

• 2 months later...