Snowpiercer - TV version

Watched the first episode, but felt way too similar to the film.  I couldn't work out if it was meant to be set before the film, or was an alternative telling of the same story as the film, so spent the first 20 minutes being slightly annoyed that this wasn't clear to me.

But, Jennifer Connelly.

• Empathy 1

The second episode was an improvement, but I’m not convinced the lead is a strong enough actor to carry a show. In every scene with Connelly, he does not stack up well. 

Some nice foreshadowing of dialogue in the film, though. With certain animals on the train becoming extinct. 

I thought this was alright. I'd like to see how it goes off on its own direction now we know about Mr Wilford.

For me, it does suffer from the same problem as the movie in which I'm constantly questioning my suspension of disbelief: is it feasible to have all those passengers living in the tail section like that? Are those train cars really wide enough to fit everything shown in, etc.? The premise is so interesting that it's hard not to question it, but it does take you out the moment a bit. At least the reveal of an undercarriage transport tunnel goes some way to make it more plausible.

That said, in the movie, it pretty much goes out of its way to abandon any rationale behind a semi-feasible scenario by the end. I'm wondering if the TV show will do a little bit of that as well.

Another thing that bugged me in the tv show.  In the intro it said the train was 1001 carriages long.  That seemed a bit long to me, but whatever.  Then, there was a scene in the show where Jennifer Connolly was about to enter the front carriage with some food, got the call that something was kicking off with the people at the tail, so went to check it out.  Appeared back there, sorted the problem out, then went back to the front and picked up her food and finally got to eat.

How long is a train carriage?  About 20 metres I'd guess.  So that makes the length of the train around 20km.  So she walked 40km (25 miles) - in those heels! - to sort out a little problem in the space of a few minutes?

Or is there a train-within-a-train transport system on the train?

It looked like kind of a service tunnel.

I'm enjoying this. I have to admit it's a treat having my all-time favourite lady at the controls so to speak, but I've always liked the idea of the setting and they seem to be layering enough into it to keep it fresh.

It’s a reboot rather than a continuation or anything, so you don’t really need to watch the movie. Though you should anyway.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Is it beneficial to watch the movie before starting this?

Only to see how it differs as the TV show seems to be an expanded retelling of the movie (at least, so far). There's a big change of direction in the first episode which would be more surprising if you'd watched the movie.

• Upvote 1

Actually, speaking of that change:

Spoiler

It was a surprise that Mr Wilford turned out to be Jennifer Connolly. Rather more surprising was the idea that they didn't build up the front car as some mysterious promised land for the viewers to anticpate the characters reaching by the end of the series, like they do in the film. Instead it's right there on-screen and it's just a rather fancy but normal cockpit, or whatever they call those things on trains. We know in advance what awaits there, so no anticipation.

I'm sure there'll be  one or more bizarre carriages to go through in the course of the show, but I thought it interesting that they treated Mr Wilford's unknown presence as the mystery rather than the physical location at the top of the train's heirarchy.

12 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Actually, speaking of that change:

Reveal hidden contents

It was a surprise that Mr Wilford turned out to be Jennifer Connolly. Rather more surprising was the idea that they didn't build up the front car as some mysterious promised land for the viewers to anticpate the characters reaching by the end of the series, like they do in the film. Instead it's right there on-screen and it's just a rather fancy but normal cockpit, or whatever they call those things on trains. We know in advance what awaits there, so no anticipation.

I'm sure there'll be  one or more bizarre carriages to go through in the course of the show, but I thought it interesting that they treated Mr Wilford's unknown presence as the mystery rather than the physical location at the top of the train's heirarchy.

Which I really liked. The world is fucked, they're ALL desperate - it's just the fronties are deluding themselves.

• Upvote 1

quite enjoyed the first episode, even if it did have a Psyfy channel feel to the CGI and budget. 

the longer concern with anything like this is the limitation of the premise, its constrained from the start - like Prison Break season 1 or Westworld. 

I'll watch and enjoy for what it is, guess if its successful they can have the train stop and find unknown survivor civilisations and expand the whole world, if not its easy enough to have a crash and wind the whole thing to an end. 

I quite enjoyed the first episode too. I do like the setting.It reminds me a little of one of my favourite "minor" films - Runaway Train. I was going to suggest it would be nice if this was as bleak as that, but thinking about it - NO! - no it wouldn't. Several series of that would really wear you down.

I enjoyed the first episode but not the second. Long boring stretches, and complete internal consistency abandonment already! 

Spoiler

So the cattle are essential, but they are all kept in the same carriage with glass windows that can be smashed open relatively easily. Despite that being instant death.

19 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’ve just started episode 3 and the narrator/freeze doctor says at the start “1,001 cars long.” Wasn’t it 1,011 in the first episode?

No?

• Upvote 1

Hmm, me and the much-better-half enjoyed the first episode but it’s going downhill quickly. I thought it would feel a bit grittier but it’s all

a bit hammy. Also it struggles to give any sense of scale, posh class only seems to contain 10 people. All of whom feel like bit-part characters from a Miss Marple story. 

Will stick with it I guess but feels like a missed opportunity so far. 

End of the last episode was pretty interesting.

Spoiler

They've just lost their main protagonist. Looks to me like they'll probably switch focus to someone else in a search to find him, rather than do a "six months later" of him emerging next episode. Not sure anyone else really stands out to replace him, though. His girlfriend or his short-term police partner, I guess.

I was very sceptical about turning this of all things into a police procedural - especially in the current climate - but given the conclusion of this first story arc, I'm cautiously optimistic. Plus it's just grand seeing Jennifer Connolly effortlessly keep all the plates spinning.

So, Sean Bean then.

Spoiler

Is he in the drawers? Has he been dead since the start? Was he ever truly real?