rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
wev

Best New Music of 2018

New Night Flight Orchestra

Albums out at the end of the month :omg:

• Upvote 1

On 09/06/2018 at 20:45, Jamie John said:

Anyone else listened to the new Father John Misty, 'God's Favorite Customer'? I adored 'I Love You, Honeybear' and liked 'Pure Comedy' last year, but I'm not so taken with his latest after having it on rotation this week. There's a lovely, melancholy track called 'Just Dumb Enough To Try', but nothing else on the album especially stands out. The lyrics are pretty poignant, but musically I think it's a bit sparse. I'll give it a few more goes.

I really like it in fact I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite album of his. I did enjoy Pure Comedy but I found it difficult to listen to at times. Just the density of the sound and impending doom of it all. This just feels more personal, stripped back and confessional. 

Yep really enjoying the new Kamasi. Apparently the CD version has an extra disc tucked away inside with an additional 40 minutes of music on :)

• Upvote 1

Hehe I mostly listen to stuff out running or cycling, it's the only time I get to myself really. 

• Empathy 1

I tend to think Gang Gang Dance have squandered their potential to varying degrees since God's Money. Saint Dymphna had moments (Vacuum, maaaan) but was all over the place, and Eye Contact had an S-rank opening that the remainder couldn't match. I'm not sure if the new album avoids the same mistakes, really, but there's some great stuff on there.

This one in particular:

Soft-focus vibe really suits them. Just need to be more consistent and not go all Ozric Tentacles in the middle of the record.

Edit: I actually like Ozric Tentacles, just, y'know...

• Upvote 1

On 25/06/2018 at 13:18, Purin said:

The new Snail Mail album is the thing I've enjoyed most this year, it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d91Qn8QUks

I gave them a shout out in the Female Artists thread. Whole album is great but Heat Wave is one of my favourite songs of the last few years. It’s absolutely sensational.

On 25/06/2018 at 12:42, Fierce Poodle said:

Yep really enjoying the new Kamasi. Apparently the CD version has an extra disc tucked away inside with an additional 40 minutes of music on :)

You can now listen to the bonus disc on streaming services, Kamasi fans!

• Upvote 1

Laura Marling has recorded an EP with Mike Lindsay of Tuung called 'LUMP'. I don't like all of it, but a few tracks are lovely. I've been listening to Marling for years, and though she's been a bit hit and miss more recently, I think she's got a gorgeous voice. Cool videos, too:

Spoiler

Hey, don't know what month these came out in but there aren't any posts talking about my favourite albums of the year so far

Rival consoles - super-synth, with rich soundscapes but also structure. A little bit like boards of canada and similar, but I think he does have a pretty unique sound

Nils Frahm - All Melody-

This is one of those where someone has spent a lot of time exploring the textures of sounds rather than being super melodic. I can understand how people would find this a bit boring, but personally I find it enchanting

• Upvote 2

I love the Rival Consoles album, it’s definitely one for people who like the new Jon Hopkins record. It’s much more melodic and expressive than his earlier stuff I think. The Nils Frahm one is really good too if a bit austere, Sunson is a great track though. 

3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

@wev :omg:

New Night Flight is OUT NOW, but Spotify code won't embed here for some reason. Will try again in a bit.

Listened to it a couple of times over the weekend, meant to post in here about it, it's good but I think the previous album was better although Lovers in the Rain is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.

2 hours ago, wev said:

Listened to it a couple of times over the weekend, meant to post in here about it, it's good but I think the previous album was better although Lovers in the Rain is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.

Theyre playing London in November – not are if it’s a one-off or part of a tour, but I’m there for sure. 

I searched the forum for Khruangbin, thinking I must be really late to the party, but there were no results. I'm in love with them. Psychadelic funk with Iranian vibes.

Watching the band is one of my favourite things now. So tight.

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

Here's Night Flight Orchestras new album

Also listened to these today

Tom Grennan

And a new album from The Vines

On 27/06/2018 at 17:11, Nequests said:

I tend to think Gang Gang Dance have squandered their potential to varying degrees since God's Money. Saint Dymphna had moments (Vacuum, maaaan) but was all over the place, and Eye Contact had an S-rank opening that the remainder couldn't match. I'm not sure if the new album avoids the same mistakes, really, but there's some great stuff on there.

This one in particular:

Soft-focus vibe really suits them. Just need to be more consistent and not go all Ozric Tentacles in the middle of the record.

Edit: I actually like Ozric Tentacles, just, y'know...

I'm really into this now, J-TREE is ecstatic. That chorus :wub: which they deliver just once, it's perfect.

I realised the other day that parts of Kazuashita sound like where I'd hoped Grimes might go after Visions, instead of that novelty Shampoo album she actually made. I still think they might have a legit classic in them eventually.

It's a great summer record imo, I always end up with a favourite summer one and then a winter one, each year. It's also great because a lot of it is kind of buried and obscured by this kind of haze it's enveloped within. I keep hearing stuff with each listen.

Slaves new track has been out a few weeks, it's a grower rather than a shower imo but I like it now

New album next month 

• Upvote 1