rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Dude Ranch

Tortilla press.

Thinking of buying a tortilla press and some masa harina. Anyone on here got a press? Looks pretty easy to get good results but not ideal with regular flour apparently. We're quite enjoying homemade flat breads and dips as a beer snack but they're a bit dull and proper tortillas sounds a lot more interesting.

This might be a useful starting point: https://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Tortilla-Making-Kit.html

I got one a few years ago for Christmas, haven't used it for a while but it was pretty good. After reading this recipe and using the method of putting a cut open ziplock inside the press I'd not go back to using the press without too, makes removal of the pressed tortillas much easier. 

At the moment I tend to get the masa from amazon. I always use the plastic bag method as well. I also used the press to make perfect circles for some empanadas I made over Christmas.

Just cut a plastic food bag in half and put the dough on that when it is in the press and the other half on top of the dough. Stops the tortilla sticking to the press.

Will do but I haven't ordered it yet! Really want to get it from amazon cos I've got twenty quid in vouchers but a combination of no stock of the one I wanted, price of alternatives going up and joke shipping costs pissed me right off. Was looking at a bit over twenty notes and now it's nearly forty including the flour and postage. Oh well, probably order it tonight regardless.

• Empathy 1

I ordered it a couple of days ago with 2 x 1kg bags of masa harina. Arrived yesterday and the press is great and actually bigger than I imagined which is a bonus. Really looking forward to trying it tonight. I'll probably make some simple quesadilla. 

• Upvote 1

Been thinking about my own tortilla making recently  and am going to try a wetter dough. I think the key is stack them covered with something like a tea towel after making them as this softens them slightly. When I was in the states in the summer I ate some incredible tacos and they were always two to three bite sized snacks where you got three in a serving. They always doubled up the tortillas as well.