IGNORED

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2017 - Voting CLOSED

Benny

Final scoring method poll  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So what? People put down the five games they enjoyed most this year. We’re not voting on a predetermined shortlist.

Well people are looking through the votes saying Zelda and Mario are safe, so I'll vote for something else. So they're not the five games they enjoyed the most.

Just now, Captain LeChuck said:

@Stanley You're going a bit off the deep end in this thread. People will vote for their top five. Zelda is not in mine. It's a genuinely lovely game, but I preferred others, in fact I preferred others that also didn't make my top 5: Gran Turismo Sport, and Yakuza 0 for example. But that's my choice to make. I don't see why you're having such an issue with this system. As someone else said, having just a top 5 made me really consider what I wanted to include. 

I think you've misunderstood me. At least two people have said that although Zelda *is* their game of the year they know it will win anyway so they'll give their vote to something else to get that game some exposure. As if I'd say people should just vote for Zelda regardless. Jesus I'm not that much of a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

@Stanley You're going a bit off the deep end in this thread. People will vote for their top five. Zelda is not in mine. It's a genuinely lovely game, but I preferred others, in fact I preferred others that also didn't make my top 5: Gran Turismo Sport, and Yakuza 0 for example. But that's my choice to make. I don't see why you're having such an issue with this system. As someone else said, having just a top 5 made me really consider what I wanted to include. 

I just mentioned all the other games that would have been in a top ten or top whatever in the last quote, stuff like - "Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Neir : Automata, Destiny 2, Sonic Mania, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy , Cuphead, Assassin's Creed: Origins" - they could have been in there. As Benny mentioned, having it just a top 5 makes you really think about which 5 resonated the most with you. 

There's loads of stuff out this year that looks amazing but I've just not had time to play yet. I really want to get on to Nioh, for example. At the moment, Neir : Automata could have been in my Top 5, maybe replacing Persona 5, as I'm playing it at the moment and it's a bit of a slow burner that gets better and better the more you play it. 

Game of the Year

A1. Marvel Heroes Omega

A2. Nex Machina

A3. Lego Marvel Superheroes 2

A4. Sonic Mania

A5.

Most Disappointing Game of the Year

Z1. Marvel Heroes Omega

Z2. Lego Worlds

Z3. 

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Nex Machina

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Nex Machina

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. PS4

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1.

Best Supported Game (from pre 2017) of the Year

B1. Diablo 3

2017 for me was the flash in the pan clusterfuck that was Marvel Heroes Omega on PS4. 

My most played game of last year before it imploded, an incredibly average game (that I'm sure most people would say was bad) but it got its hooks in me and I wanted the numbers to go up.

Still the silver lining is I'm playing D3 again and am working my way through my first ever season. Will pick up the necromancer expansion between season 12 & 13 (sometime in early Feb)

On 1/12/2018 at 01:56, Orcitect said:

Game of the Year

A1. Yakuza 0

A2. Divinity: Original Sin 2

A3. Super Mario Odyssey

Z1. Destiny 2

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Resident Evil 7

S2. Sonic Mania

S3. Nier Automata

V1. Gravity Rush 2

V2. Nex Machina

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. Warframe

Game of the Year

A1. Yakuza 0

A2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A3. Divinity: Original Sin II

A4. Super Mario Odyssey

A5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Z1. Destiny 2

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Yakuza 0

S2. Resident Evil 7

S3. Prey

V1. Splatoon 2

V2. Gravity Rush 2

V3. Nex Machina

Writing of the Year

W1. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

W2. Prey

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. Warframe

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

A2. Elex “Criminally under-exposed RPG.  Think Fallout New Vegas with rather less disagreeable factions.  The joy in this game is twofold - firstly the exploration of a large world (armed with a handy jet pack) which is fricking dangerous from the get-go, but where the biggest rewards will be reliably tucked away in the most inhospitable corners, and secondly the task of deciding which faction to join, bearing in mind that almost all quest holders may be double-crossed or simply ignored.  Ignore those critics who distain the combat - ranged is the way to go in this. It runs out of steam at the end, but it’s a hell of a journey”

Now there's a game I'd forgotten existed. I really need to check it out; I remember the Gothic games as fascinatingly flawed beasts - something I tend to enjoy - so I'm very curious to see how their most recent game holds up.

Particularly as I now know you have a jet pack. Jet pack! I don't think I've ever disliked a game where you have a jet pack. Even the long-forgotten Microsoft third-person shooter Outwars brought me great delight thanks to its focus on jet pack warfare.

On 1/19/2018 at 15:09, Treble said:

Game of the Year

A1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A2. Poochy and Yoshi’s Wooly World

A3. Super Mario Odyssey

A4. Metroid: Samus Returns

A5. Super Hydorah

Most Disappointing Game of the Year

Z1. Destiny 2

Z2. Mario Odyssey

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

Best Supported Game (from pre 2017) of the Year

B1.

Just to call out a couple of notables: Zelda is the best game ever made (probably). It's the first time many people's GOAT is also my GOAT, knocking NiGHTS off its 23 years old perch.

Yoshi's Wooly World will be getting loads of plaudits when this Poochy version gets ported to Switch. It's pure fun, and fell down the back of the sofa because it came out on Wii U (which no-one bought) and 3DS (towards the end of its life and with a terrible title that makes it sound like a game for two year olds).

I had more fun with than than even Mario Odyssey, which I thought was 'great' and 'excellent' and all sorts of superlatives...but nowhere near as rampantly fun as Galaxy or 3D Land/World.  Don't get me wrong, it's still fantastic in all sorts of ways, but I did find the aesthetics a little bland, and the cap system not quite the revolution I expected - not all that different to what you do with Kirby. Great fun, but lagging behind the all-time greats for me.

Super Hydorah is a Gradius sequel in all but name, and filled my (usually) un-scratched itch for horizontal shooters, and Metroid: Samus Returns a decent stab at what makes those Metroidvania things so cracking in the first place.

By far the largest disappointment for me was Destiny 2. I got this to play with a mate, and he'd tossed it aside after two weeks. I followed not long after. It's bust in all the key areas, and deserves to become a deserted wasteland to teach Bungie's overlords a serious lesson. No doubt i'd be lambasting EA in the same fashion for Battlefront II, but fool me once... 

All other plaudits go to Nintendo, who have had arguably the best year in their _entire_ history. 

Game of the Year

A1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A2. Poochy and Yoshi’s Wooly World

A3. Super Mario Odyssey

A4. Superhot VR

A5. Super Hydorah

Most Disappointing Game of the Year

Z1. Destiny 2

Z2. Mario Odyssey

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

Best Supported Game (from pre 2017) of the Year

B1.

@Benny, made a change, hope it's ok :-s

On 1/24/2018 at 00:45, Wiper said:

Now there's a game I'd forgotten existed. I really need to check it out; I remember the Gothic games as fascinatingly flawed beasts - something I tend to enjoy - so I'm very curious to see how their most recent game holds up.

Particularly as I now know you have a jet pack. Jet pack! I don't think I've ever disliked a game where you have a jet pack. Even the long-forgotten Microsoft third-person shooter Outwars brought me great delight thanks to its focus on jet pack warfare.

Elex is amazing and deserves far more acclaim. It's a better game than Fallout 4 but gets nowhere near the recognition.

In such a strong year it didn't quite make my top 5 but was definitely close.

I've bought it, and played a bit last night. A promising start, boring Gruff McFuggles main character aside; I've enjoyed just traipsing around the Berserker town. And using my jetpack to get away with constantly breaking the law (while simultaneously chastising anyone else who so much as wobbles from the line of said law). 

I'm considering shortening the deadline on this, partly because the updates have gone quiet and partly because I don't want to have to do loads of entries right at the end if people are saving theirs up for then. Is anyone still interested in voting who hasn't yet who is still working through certain games?

Proposed revised deadline would be mid Feb ish.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I'm considering shortening the deadline on this, partly because the updates have gone quiet and partly because I don't want to have to do loads of entries right at the end if people are saving theirs up for then. Is anyone still interested in voting who hasn't yet who is still working through certain games?

Proposed revised deadline would be mid Feb ish.

I'm still working through some of the best games from last year and was planning on updating my list before the deadline, but if you want to end it earlier then that's absolutely fine. Ultimately I think you should do what you want if you're the one who's putting  it all together.

Game of the Year

A1. The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild

A2. Splatoon 2

A3. Super Mario Odyssey

A4. Assassins Creed Origins

A5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Z1. 

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Super Mario Odyssey

S2. The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild

S3. Splatoon 2

V1. Assassins Creed Origins

V2. Splatoon 2

V3. Horizon Zero Dawn

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. 

Game of the Year

A1. Mario Odyssey

not the game I bought a console for, not the game I’ve spent most time with (that’d be Assassins Creed Origins), but surely the most joyful, and the one that delights most in being a game. The festival is my gaming highlight of the year.

A2. BOTW.

Reinvented Open Worlds, and the first Zelda game I’ve really got on with. Beautiful in parts, and a great world with a real sense of exploration.

but I’ve not completed it, and don’t feel a desperate need to go back and do so.

Horizon Zero Dawn is SO lucky it came out the week before, rather than the week after.

A3. Assassins Creed Origins.

I’m a bit astonished by this. Unity was a frame skipping mess, and Syndicate just felt like a dark brown mess. Origins I’ve actually completed the main quest line (first time ever), then *continued playing*.

Some of this will be because it looks *spectacular* on the Xbox1X (and presumably on the PS4Pro): an absolute showcase for HDR and 4K upscaling, and the advantages the new set of consoles have over PC’s broken 4K support. Some of it because the levelling system allows you to play at your own pace,  switching between mass murderer and stealthy sneak, depending on the levels of the guards around you (in many ways, absent alternative ways of performing an assassination a la Hitman, this is the game they originally promised the best part of ten years ago). Some of it is just because Egypt in the time of the Greeks and Romans is just realised so well, and is far more diverse than I ever expected.

A4. What Remains of Edith Finch.

Barely a game, but an enchanting couple of hours of story, and the integration of mechanics/environment with that story. I think it’s the first game I’ve played where my wife sat and watched *the whole thing*, and the use of game mechanics elevates the whole thing above similar “walking simulators”.

A5. Flipflop Solitaire.

Picked up just as Puzzles and Dragons EU got to the point of (pretty much closing down), simply because of a sidebar in Edge. Have now cracked that Puzzles and Dragons habit, at the cost of a game that eats Phone and iPad battery - but which at least doesn’t require an always on network connection.

(it’s just spider solitare with a couple of twists, but very relaxing)

Honourable mention: Playerunknown Battlegrounds - I don’t get on with multiplayer games much, but this is something special, and if I was any good I’m sure it would be higher. Also it has *something* that makes fortnite feel like a disappointing clone, and I don’t know what it is.

Z1. Torment: Tides of Numerera

Backed it on Kickstarter, loved planescape,  bounced right off it. Always a risk when it’s a game in a setting you don’t know, loads of words, slightly outdated mechanics and it requires you to sit at a PC for hours on end.

Z2. Shadow of War

Didn’t help that I played it concurrently with the much more interesting Assassins Creed, or that the control scheme is almost 100% different, but even towards the end of Act Two it felt like it was becoming a slog. I got my £30’s worth of entertainment out of it, but you’ve got to feel there’s a more interesting thing to do with the Nemesis system.

Z3. Wolfenstein 2

I got motion sick :(

Z4. Life is strange before the storm

Ive bounced off the first episode, and I’m sure it’s just that I miss Max. Need to try again.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Mario Odyssey

You’ve seen the video with the wires, sound effects and music, right?

S2.

S3.

V1. Assassins Creed Origins

Technical Marvel. If there was one game I’d use to show off a modern TV, it would be this one (if there was one game I’d use to show off the possibilities of the whole gaming space, it would probably be lost echo).

V2. Zelda, BOTW

Cohesiveness and an open world that’s designed to draw you into explore, rather than to simply mimic something in the real world.

V3. Lost Echo

Hardly anyone will play this, given its an Oculus Rift exclusive, but:

- You are on a space ship orbiting Saturn.

- You are in zero gravity.

- It really feels like you’re there, and the method they’ve used to handle you gripping things (even at angles) feels seamless.

- There’s someone else there with you.

- It really feels like they’re there.

(Honourable mentions to Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza 7, GT Sport)

Writing of the Year

W1. What Remains of Edith Finch.

This category isn’t even close.

W2. Horizon Zero Dawn

for the main quest line, which integrated reasonable science fiction into the game world. The remainder of the writing, and most of the side quests, was rubbish: I mean, the guy who eats mechanical monster hearts? Yet another fetch quest?

W3. Injustice 2.

a fighting game with a story that fits in SO much better than the dire movies.

F1. Xbox.

Xbox1X is a great bit of kit, and outside of the (really good) games I’ve not turned my switch on since the middle of November. but this is really because of the continued support for backwards compatibility, upgrades to the backwards compatibility emulator (all games getting improved texture filtering etc), immediate filtering improvements etc. to people’s existing library of Xbone games, patches for relatively old games (halo 3?!) in order to make the best use of the Xbox1X hardware etc.

Nintendo had two contenders for GOAT, and I’m really looking forward to what madness they come up with next; Sony finally started churning out the exclusives they’ve been promising for four years; Microsoft give the impression that they’re really supporting the idea of building an ongoing digital library and not just something where you end up buying yet-another-remake on each transition, or leave half the power of the console running idle. Having said that, they’ll probably pull the plug on games later this year.

P1. Nintendo.

Obviously. This isn’t even close.

B1. Black.

I may not care about this category, but I’m astounded that this Xbox game got a re-release, and although it’s astonishingly dated, there are bits (second level, initial faffing about in the forest) that hold up remarkably well.

2 minutes ago, Treble said:

@footle, if it makes you feel any better, staunch VR advocate Jeff Cannata (of the DLC podcast) named Lone Echo his GOTY 2017. Granted, only you, him and Zuckerberg own a Rift but the three of you seem happy with the game :)

I’ve not finished it, or even played that much. Classic “have to go upstairs and put the PC on” problem, as opposed to “lie on the sofa”. But it’s still more memorable than most things I’ve played this year, and might have placed on my GOTY list if I had completed it.

Aside, I always think it would be interesting for people to list the games they’ve played that they haven’t placed.

eg. Mass Effect Andromeda was ok; Splatoon 2 was great for a couple of weeks then I got bored; Mario Kart 8 looks amazing, but is Mario Kart; Gorogoa is a lovely realisation of a simple (but difficult to make) concept  but just occasionally feels like you’re moving squares around at random to see what happens; didn’t finish uncharted 4, so skipped lost legacy; arms was just too weird; destiny 2 was a much better game for the first thirty to forty hours than destiny ever was in its first release, and it would seem that people have forgotten just how disappointing house of wolves was; cuphead was unique, but pattern memorisation games are not my thing; nex machina would have sold more if it hadn’t come out as a console exclusive stuffed with polished housemarque games...

Game of the Year

A1. Dirt 4

A2. Forza Motorsport 7

A3. Sniper Elite 4

A4. Assassin's Creed Origins

A5. Injustice 2

Z1. 

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.