Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2017 - Voting CLOSED

Final scoring method poll  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think I'd prefer Publisher of Year instead of format because Nintendo managed to release a Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, and a 3D Mario all within 3/4th of the year. The fact they launched a console is almost secondary.

Tell you what, lets have both. Format doesn't just mean new hardware but the systems people had the most enjoyment out of this year. Feel free to edit your entry to include the new award too.

Note: I struggled with ordering the top three for a while - they all have little issues but are all excellent experiences despite those issues. This list probably looked very different in my head for a while...

Game of the Year

A1. Nier Automata (final placing: 8)

"A quick disclaimer – if you thought that Automata was a character action game hampered by RPG padding, or if you skipped all of the story to get to the next action sequence and then wrote the writing off as a confusing mess, or if you ignored all of the developer streams and details of the hub world and upgrades and sidequesting and then wondered why they were interrupting your precious action experience, this isn’t the post for you, so move on. Lots of people like Platinum games, but not a whole lot of Platinum fans were familiar with the first Nier, and whilst they were looking forward to a slick, streamlined action experience, we were contemplating how the combination of Taro’s writing and Platinum’s gameplay could create something that delivered in areas that were lacking in Gestalt, Replicant and your typical Platinum action experience. Automata had the potential to be something genuinely special, and whilst there are definitely flaws (fiddly platforming, awkward camera moments, some uncertainty with the 3D map) it’s still a fantastic effort. Combat is simplistic but a vast improvement over the combat found in the original game, bosses and set-pieces are thrilling, there’s plenty of customisation from the pod programs and plug-in chips, the world has enough sidequesting and material gathering to satisfy a fan of the original, and the story is fleshed out with reveals throughout the three playthroughs and in the sidequests, hackable documents, weapon stories and more. My thoughts surrounding the story and gameplay stayed with me long after completion, even when I was in the middle of Persona 5 – that’s how much impact it had. Maybe it was disappointing for those who didn’t know what game they were buying, but for fans of Nier this was a great addition to the franchise."

A2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (final placing: 18)

"I had only recently played through the PS2 game for the first time when Zodiac was announced, so I welcomed the opportunity to play it again on hardware that didn’t feel like it would break down at any moment. It took me a long time to get into the game on PS2 because I couldn’t be bothered getting my head around gambits and licences – basically, I was too used to the oldschool format of fight/magic/item/flee. Once I was over that hurdle, however, I embraced the new gameplay rather than rejecting it, and it’s a genuinely enjoyable experience. You begin by simply auto-healing critical allies and getting basic licences, but by the end I was curing multiple ailments, prioritising gambits, spending LP on new quickenings and awesome gear, and taming these monstrous gameplay systems. It helps that you’re going through interesting locations with a likeable cast and decent soundtrack, but FFXII is a rare JRPG where combat is a pleasure rather than a chore, and Zodiac updates it for the new generation."

A3. Persona 5 (final placing: 7)

"If you were to ask me how this game compares to its predecessor, I’d have to say that I preferred P4, especially the Vita release. P5’s focus on more elaborate objectives in dungeons resulted in a lot of varied quality – the puzzles in the pyramid and final dungeon were fun and didn’t overstay their welcome, whilst rooms in the cruise ship and space station seemed to go on forever and resulted in the pace of the game grinding to a halt. The trouble with these bespoke challenges is that with each new objective and ruleset, there’s always a risk that some ideas will be more successful than others - P4’s more simplified key hunts and miniboss challenges were still a bit chorelike, but they were always over quickly and often led to neat encounters. So if someone wants me to judge it against other games in the series, P4 is the better game… but if someone wants a fun new RPG to play (and had already played Nier) I’d recommend this in a heartbeat. There’s plenty to do in the gameworld, the party members are all likeable, the bosses are imaginative, the heists are fantastic, the music is as good as you’d expect, and all of the little presentational touches are superb. If this is the face of post-P4 Persona, I may be a bit more wary about a Persona 6 announcement, but I’ll still be confident that it’ll be a decent experience… if not quite up to the standards of 4. (As an aside, I thought the heavy-handed Note On Persona 5 And Streaming was unnecessary but I *am* glad I went in not knowing much; there are many great scenes and one reveal that was up there with P4’s culprit reveal and Ryoji’s last appearance in P3…)"

A4. Sonic Mania (final placing: 15)

"Okay, it’s time for a little confession – this isn’t higher up in my list for the simple reason that I haven’t given it the time and attention that I should have. It came out in the same week as Undertale – a game which I hadn’t played before, but the PS4 release seemed like a good opportunity to try it out – and I stupidly bought both, tried a bit of Mania, and then lost days to Undertale before clearing my schedule for more PS+ and eventually Destiny. Anyway… Sonic games have a bit of a hard time – personally I’ll defend bits of the Adventure games and I thought Rush was great, but most people seem in agreement that Mania is a welcome return to form. Sonic doesn’t speak, colourful pixels are everywhere, and there’s no pesky lock-on homing attack. Outside of those essential improvements, there are also a bunch of great original levels and remixed classic levels, not to mention an amazing soundtrack that fits the levels and the era without sounding too cringey today. I did find that one or two levels got a bit too elaborate for their own good, and I’m still not sure about the into-the-screen chase sequences for bonus stages, but the good bits more than make up for those little question marks."

A5. Gran Turismo Sport (final placing: 19)

"GT Sport has problems. The focus of the start of the campaign feels like a bunch of licence tests, which were some of the most tedious parts of any Gran Turismo game for me, and when you finally get into the meat of the main game, you find that you’re either on a credits grind for new cars, a dice roll for loot box content with each daily workout, or an online massacre against people who are much better than you. Okay, maybe that last one is just me. Despite all of this, I still find myself coming back to GT Sport over and over again. The daily workouts may sometimes have bad rewards, but they’re over in a flash and incentivise continued play. The cars can get pricey, but there are loads of opportunities to earn credits. Above all of this, the cars just feel satisfying to drive. I’m not a big sim racer fanatic so I don’t have a lot of things to compare it to, but each car has a nice sense of weight and momentum, and you have to fight to get the most speed from each corner without pushing your luck too far and ending up in a barrier. Even against the AI, you can bump up the difficulty and expect an engaging test of your ability to tame the car and the track. In the end, it is just Gran Turismo again, but anyone who’s a fan of the series will accept that and enjoy the racing experience and the thrill of chasing more credits in order to get hold of a new shiny toy which can be thrown around the various tracks."

Most Disappointing Game of the Year

Z1. SW Battlefront II (final placing: 2nd most disappointing)

Z2. Destiny 2 (final placing: most disappointing)

"Destiny 2 is an excellent candidate for disappointment because when I first started playing the game it seemed to eliminate so much of what I had disliked in the first game - the director and the milestones were a great way to find something to do, and you were much less likely to feel lost compared to the first game's poor explanation of the Light grind. Already, however, it's starting to run the risk of being as messy as the first game ended up, and things like Eververse and the more disappointing aspects of the DLC don't help the cause."

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Nier Automata

"A really close call between this and P5, but the music in Automata brings certain gameplay sequences to life. There's the gorgeous theme of the Beauvoir boss battle, there's the memorable "This Cannot Continue" theme near the start, there are one or two brilliant callbacks to the original game, and so much more besides. The only real downside in a general sound design sense is that the droid voices are all pretty much the same, but that's probably kind of intentional"

S2. Persona 5

"I bet you never saw this comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing (sorry.) I got hold of the soundtrack on import whilst waiting for the game, and it's as brilliant as you'd expect."

S3. Sonic Mania

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Persona 5

"I can't think of many other games where in the months leading up to the game's release you have people posting gifs of menu animations, but Persona 5 takes the style of the earlier games and doubles down hard. Everything from the battle transitions to the shadow designs to the calendar is flawless, and helps to ensure Persona is in a league of its own (I think only TWEWY and one or two other SMTs come close) when it comes to contemporary visual design in JRPGs."

V2. Sonic Mania

"You'd think after so many pixel-art indie games that a new Sonic reverting to a pixel aesthetic would feel a bit too much like a remix compilation or a tribute act, but with today's machines and displays, Sonic has never looked better. The new zones in the game are not only bursting with colour and unique animations and features, but they look completely at home alongside the remixed classic stages. The themes of the new zones also have loads of great touches such as the popcorn machine in Studiopolis and the revolver in Mirage Saloon, whilst everything you remember from the old games is recreated faithfully."

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Nier Automata

"Yes, the robotic nature of the robots can grate, some of the "we have feelings, honest!" moments have the subtlety of a brick, and there's a lot of text in unlockable documents that people might just skip over, but if people will insist on pigeonholing this into the character action genre, Nier Automata has the most fleshed-out world in any Platinum character action game I've played, and as an RPG there's a lot of backstory to get into. The different perspectives and additional context obtained from multiple playthroughs are more than welcome, and it helps that those playthroughs are much less painful than they ever were in Gestalt or Replicant. Oh, and another caveat is that a lot of context will be missed if you don't have knowledge of Gestalt/Replicant or Drakengard. Oops."

W2. Persona 5

"Just like Nier, there are big problems with P5's writing - the translation issues, the characterisation issues, some of the smaller Mementos arcs - but the twists and turns of the story are still pretty satisfying. As mentioned in my GOTY comment, P3 had it's Ryoji plot dump and P4 had it's antagonist reveal, but P5 blows your mind once the "in media res" story and the gameplay catch up with one another and you find out how you got into that situation and what would happen next. On top of that, there are some brilliant scumbag villains who you can't help but loathe, which makes the climax of each heist all the more satisfying."

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. PS4

"Switch is easily going to win this (and Zelda & Mario will be the best and second-best games in the overall game of the year results), but I don't have one of those! Anyway, I usually opt for one format to see me through most of a generation, and when I found that PS4 would be home to P5, Nier, FFXII and more, the decision was pretty much made for me."

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1.

Best Supported Game (from pre 2017) of the Year

B1.

• Upvote 6

Sorry, one last option added to the template! That will be the last one, feel free to add it to both of your entries so far. Also, please copy the FULL template, even if you leave one category blank.

Yes, I came prepared. ;)

I'm assuming FFXII is in line with the remakes rule? It's a 2017 release but it is pretty much a HD remaster. I can remove it if it doesn't count...

Thanks for doing this, @Benny!

Here are my (very boring) votes, subject to change. Comments to be added soon:

Game of the Year

A1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A2. Super Mario Odyssey

A3. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

A4. Horizon: Zero Dawn

A5. Little Nightmares

Most Disappointing Game of the Year

Z1. RiME

Z2. Persona 5

Z3. Little Nightmares

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Super Mario Odyssey

S2. Persona 5

S3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

V1. Horizon: Zero Dawn

V2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

V3. Little Nightmares

Writing of the Year

W1. Little Nightmares

W2.

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

Publisher of the Year

P1. Nintendo

B1.

Subject to some elaboration:

Game of the Year

A1. Resident Evil VII (PSVR)

A2. Zelda Breath of the Wild

A3. Divinity Original Sin 2

A4. Mario Odyssey 

A5. Prey

Worst Game of the Year

Z1. 

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Hellblade

S2. Persona 5

S3. 

V1. Zelda Breath of the Wild

V2. Persona 5

V3. Assassins Creed Origins

Writing of the Year

W1. What Remains of Edith Finch

W2. Divinity Original Sin 2

W3. Prey

F1. Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

Yes, I came prepared. ;)

I'm assuming FFXII is in line with the remakes rule? It's a 2017 release but it is pretty much a HD remaster. I can remove it if it doesn't count...

I'm happy to allow HD remasters, as after all many people will be discovering the games for the first time due to the HD re-release, so I think it's valid to include.

• Upvote 1

Please remember to include the full template everyone, even if you leave a section blank. Including my new Best Supported Game of pre 2017 category. (For example updates and new content or quality of life changes)

Your template is going to automatically reject anyone's vote who hasn't put Zelda in their top 5, yeah?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not wanting to sound like a twat, but would 'Most Disappointing' game of the year be better than 'Worst Game'? I don't think this category will be filled out that much, seeing as we all have impeccable taste and don't tend to play bad games. Many people will have played games this year that didn't live up to their expectations, however, and it might generate a bit more discussion, rather than everyone slagging off Star Wars.

Just a thought - don't shout at me :ph34r:

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SMD said:

Your template is going to automatically reject anyone's vote who hasn't put Zelda in their top 5, yeah?

Are you Jim Sterling?

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Not wanting to sound like a twat, but would 'Most Disappointing' game of the year be better than 'Worst Game'? I don't think this category will be filled out that much, seeing as we all have impeccable taste and don't tend to play bad games. Many people will have played games this year that didn't live up to their expectations, however, and it might generate a bit more discussion, rather than everyone slagging off Star Wars.

Just a thought - don't shout at me :ph34r:

I agree, very good point, I'll update it.

• Upvote 1

If you don't have any inspiration for Best Supported game just put in Warframe. :P

Will have to finish a bunch of games myself including Hollow Knight and Yakuza Zero so not sure if I can make it before the deadline but I'll try! 

If you haven't quite finished a game just go with your gut. I'm going to start Mario Odyssey now or I won't be able to put my entry up in good conscience.

Game of the Year

A1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A2. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

A3. Prey

A4. Horizon Zero Dawn

A5. Destiny 2

Z1. Battlefront II

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

S2. Prey

S3. Forza 7

V1. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider 

V2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

V3. Prey

Writing of the Year

W1. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider 

W2. Prey

W3.

F1. Xbox One X

P1. Arkane Studios

B1. Dishonored 2

Game of the Year

A1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

A3. What Remains Of Edith Finch

A4. Super Mario Odyssey

A5. Nier: Autonoma

Z1. Mass Effect: Andromeda

Z2. Persona 5

Z3. Resident Evil 7

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

S2. Resident Evil 7

S3. Voez

V1. Super Mario Odyssey

V2. Gorogoa

V3. Nier: Autonoma

Writing of the Year

W1. What Remains of Edith Finch

W2. Prey

W3. Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. Rock Band 4

50 minutes ago, SMD said:

You accidentally put too many letters in 'has', there.

It's quite possible that I'll update this as we get closer to the end of February (there are a good few games from last year I've got queued up to play, after all), and I need to flesh this out with more commentary, but this is where I'm currently at:

Game of the Year

A1. Prey

A2. Torment: Tides of Numenera

A3. Tacoma

A4. Divinity: Original Sin 2

A5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

"By some margin the most flawed game of the year, both in terms of design decisions and evident cash/time restrictions. And yet this is a game I happily pumped 100+ hours into. Incredibly variable voice acting can't mask the fact that this received a great translation, each character given distinct voice (as opposed to Persona 5, whose great voice acting can't mask a flavourless translation). The story is daft but compelling, the world a delight to explore even as it pushes the poor Switch beyond its limits, the combat compelling and the music fantastic. Shame about the grindy design and the World's Worst Character Visual Design™, really!"

Z1. Persona 5

"This seems a particularly cruel vote, particularly considering that, were the GOTY list a top 10, this would have made it in there. This is actually one of my favourite games of the year, but it also happens to be the game that disappointed me most; in much the same way that Breath of the Wild wouldn't be my game of the year (indeed, it sits at the end of my top 10 list), but is comfortably my most pleasant surprise of the year. Persona 5 is mechanically and aesthetically brilliant, but in terms of dialogue and story it falls far short of its two immediate predecessors, while also managing to be a bit regressive in terms of its representations of relationships. Far from a bad game, but a big disappointment to me."

Z2. Nier Automata

"An interesting story rendered unenjoyable by combat that never clicked with me and a world I found tedious to explore. A fantastic soundtrack couldn't make up for the beige environments and in the end I never even made it to the first ending (fake out ending by detonating the hub notwithstanding)"

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Persona 5

S2. Nier Automata

S3. Sonic Mania

V1. Persona 5

V2. Arms

V3. Breath of the Wild

Writing of the Year

W1. Torment: Tides of Numenera

W2. Night in the Woods

W3. Tacoma

F1. PC

"If this were limited to consoles then the Switch would be the clear winner, but overall this has been the year of the PC for me. Just an incredible range of brilliant games came out this year, from the indiest of indie to the biggest budget, some exclusives and some not, but overall it's just been a fantastic year on the machine. Grand strategy to walking sims, point and click adventures to traditional RPGs, immersive sims to visual novels, I can't think of a single genre that didn't receive at least one great game on PC in 2017. Great stuff."

P1. Nintendo

"In any other year I'd have given this to Bethesda: with Prey and Death of the Outsider they put out a fantastic set of immersive sims, plus a great shooter in Wolfenstein, and some surprisingly great VR and portable spin-offs/remakes of Doom and Skyrim. But I can't ignore the sheer breadth and quality of Nintendo's output: the first Zelda game I've truly rated, the fantastic Arms and Splatoon 2, the incredibly flawed but brilliant Xenoblade 2; all brilliant, all made even more delightful by their portable nature. The first ever year that Nintendo have been my stars of show."

B1. Hitman

• Upvote 4

Game of the Year

A1. The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus

A2. BotW

A3. Mario Odyssey 

A4. ARMS

A5. GT Sport

Z1. Dark Souls 3 (Ringed City DLC) 

Z2. Gravity Rush 2

Z3. Forza 7

Z4. Nioh

Z5. Mario + Rabbids

Sound Design of the Year

S1. BotW

S2. Nier: Automata 

S3. Persona 5

V1. BotW

V2. HZD

V3. ARMS

Writing of the Year

W1. Edith Finch

W2. Yakuza 0

W3. Uncharted: LL

F1. Switch 

P1. Nintendo EAD

B1. The Witcher 3 (4K update) 

Game of the Year

A1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

A2. Super Mario Odyssey 

A3. Golf Story

A4. Resident Evil 7

A5. Splatoon 2

Z1. FIFA 18

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Super Mario Odyssey 

S2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

S3. Cuphead

V1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

V2. Cuphead 

V3. Splatoon 2

Writing of the Year

W1. Golf Story 

W2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch 

P1. Nintendo 

B1. Pokemon Go 

Surprised not to see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe yet. Remember, you may include games that were released for a previous system as long as they came out this year.