It's time for Animaniacs... again!

Steven Spielberg's classic Warner Bros. animated series Animaniacs will return in 2020 thanks to a two-season order from streaming service Hulu. Spielberg will executive produce the series' revival for Hulu, Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin Television.

Not only will the Emmy Award-winning animated series debut new episodes, the entire back catalog of Animaniacs series will make Hulu its home. This includes the original Animaniacs cartoon, Pinky and the Brain , Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain and Tiny Toon Adventures .

What are the chances it'll have the innuendo of the original?

Unfortunately, although the main voice actors are involved, it doesn't look like many of the other creators will return: no music from Richard Stone, as he died in 2001; voice director Andrea Romano retired last year; and the original writers*, producers and directors haven't yet been asked to be involved. Screenshots from the Cartoon Brew comments:

qwZT1cW.png

* The writers were, of course, the most important people on the show. Much to the annoyance of certain animation purists, who shall remain nameless. ;)

17 hours ago, Nick R said:

* The writers were, of course, the most important people on the show. Much to the annoyance of certain animation purists, who shall remain nameless. ;)

But the writers' mental instability meant the show constantly went out scriptless and the cast had to adlib. In that case, I can see it working without them.

• 3 months later...

Cartoonist Katie Rice has been hired as one of the directors of this revival.

As discussed in the Weinstein/MeToo thread, she's one of the two women who recently accused Ren & Stimpy creator John K of long term abuse. He was the "certain animation purist, who shall remain nameless" I mentioned in my last post. So her working on this is sure to annoy him, even if only in a small way. :D

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trailer!

Spoiler

New theme song lyrics! Pinky & the Brain! Anime! A familiar looking cyclops!

But...

When this was first announced I posted that people were disappointed that the original series' creators wouldn't be hired for this one. Nathan Ruegger (voice of Skippy Squirrel in the original, and son of the writer/lyricist/producer Tom Ruegger) has been particularly vocal in his disappointment that his father and others weren't invited back, combined with the jokes about how much money will be made:

And in response to the new trailer:

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Festoon said:

I remain staggered that they seem to have hit the mark with this. I'm not used to things coming back good.

The critics seem disappointed with the five episodes they've seen. :(

https://tv.avclub.com/the-new-animaniacs-doesn-t-lack-for-targets-but-still-1845680129

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/animaniacs-tv-review

https://collider.com/animaniacs-hulu-reboot-review/