rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Joust...er I mean Roust on the Speccy! (and ZX81)

I was always frustrated moving from the Atari 2600 that there wasn't a decent Joust port or clone on the 8 bits.

However thanks to the eagle-eyed Indie Retro news I'm now aware of this.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/01/roust-allan-turvey-announces-arcade-to.html#undefined.gbpl

It may be a new year into 2018 but as the ZX-Dev conversions competition is still progressing, we've recently been contacted by Allan Turvey, that his ZX Spectrum conversion of Joust has been announced and is coming to the speccy titled as ' Roust '. This new game that is going to be released by Highrise Electronics Inc and music by David Saphier, load screen by Craig Howard, is currently being developed using Arcade Game Designer and the team hope that Roust will be as enjoyable as the Arcade original.

I mean just look at it!

• Upvote 1

Wonder if you can kill the pterodactyl in it.

I saw some kid pull that off completely accidentally in the arcade, back in the 80s, while I was waiting for my turn. The look on his face...and mine! :o:blink:

• Upvote 1

There was a version out on xbox i'm sure, Joust 2000 or something with nice updated graphics.

Edit, yes, here it is, looks like the ST version I used to play.  Fucking loved Joust!!!

• Upvote 1

There was one killer 8 bit version of Joust released in the 80s. Skirmish for BBC Micro. A childhood obsession for me:

No idea what the history of this one is, googling doesn't throw up any definitive answers. I think at one point it was going to be an official Atari licensed release of Joust (possibly it was actually released under the Atarisoft label?), then the deal fell through or the license expired and it got released under the name Skirmish.

Even by the outrageous standards of BBC micro arcade bootlegs, that's pretty fucking cheeky.

• Upvote 2

Something else for the Speccy that’s worth a look is this lovely conversion of Bezerk:

• Upvote 1

Hmm, wasn't aware AGD could do something like this. Might have to really look into it once I get my Next.

On 02/01/2018 at 15:44, matt0 said:

There was one killer 8 bit version of Joust released in the 80s. Skirmish for BBC Micro. A childhood obsession for me:

No idea what the history of this one is, googling doesn't throw up any definitive answers. I think at one point it was going to be an official Atari licensed release of Joust (possibly it was actually released under the Atarisoft label?), then the deal fell through or the license expired and it got released under the name Skirmish.

Even by the outrageous standards of BBC micro arcade bootlegs, that's pretty fucking cheeky.

I always assumed all of those BBC Micro arcade rip-offs (Killer Gorilla being the prime example) just snuck out under the radar of Atari / Nintendo etc, because the BBC Micro didn't have a presence in the US or Japan.

Yeah, but those conversions of Defender, Joust and Scramble were spot-on. Don't think I ever saw Killer Gorilla...

Zalaga was one of my personal favourites. For conversion accuracy and comedy title reasons. 

On 1/28/2018 at 23:34, smac said:

Yeah, but those conversions of Defender, Joust and Scramble were spot-on. Don't think I ever saw Killer Gorilla...

I definitely spent many hours playing Killer Gorilla. Ironically, I didn't see the actual Donkey Kong for the first time until a few years later, and was incredulous at how shamelessly Nintendo had ripped off Killer Gorilla. 

• Upvote 2

Now on the ZX81!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/03/roust-zx81-birthday-edition-allan.html

Well this is a bit of a surprise as I thought Allan Turvey's Spectrum conversion of Joust couldn't get any better, yet here we are mentioning the ZX81 version of Roust! Which has since been released for all to enjoy. Yes indeed in celebration of the ZX81 home computer produced by Sinclair Research and manufactured in Scotland by Timex Corporation, Highrise Electronics Inc have released the Roust! ZX81 Birthday Edition in celebration of 37 years since the computer appeared in our hands.

• Upvote 3