RLLMUK'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2017 - RESULTS!

11 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Nice to see Night Flight Orchestra place so well. I've been obsessed with that record for the last two weeks.

I listened to that for the first time this morning and was stunned - it's amazing! Midnight Flyer is an incredible album opener. In fact, my mind has been blown by that and two other brilliant albums today, that I'd missed out on in 2017 - Cigarettes After Sex and Kelly Lee Owens. Three completely different genres, three completely wondrous albums.

20 hours ago, cubik said:

Thanks for the effort as always! It's good to see just how out of touch I am.

I was thinking the same, but looking at the number of votes each album got, I think everybody's just got very different tastes.  A huge number of [1]  [10]s and [1]  [9]s in there, which is aces to see.

I've been listening to the IDLES album having seen it voted for a few times, and it's really good fun.  Lots more to investigate on that list.

10 minutes ago, SeanR said:

what would happen to The The?

Assuming Matt Johnson overcomes more than a decade of writer’s block and actually gets round to making a proper The The album, instead of a triple box set soundtrack about having writer’s block which got no RLLMUK votes at all, you mean? Hopefully I’ll have figured out a solution by then...

29 minutes ago, ngchol said:

Assuming Matt Johnson overcomes more than a decade of writer’s block and actually gets round to making a proper The The album, instead of a triple box set soundtrack about having writer’s block which got no RLLMUK votes at all, you mean? Hopefully I’ll have figured out a solution by then...

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I made a playlist a week ago of the top 20 albums that I hadn't listened to already and have decided to make my way through them, starting from number 1. This week, therefore, in the car on the way to work it's been Slowdive, by Slowdive. I've listened to it about 6 times through during my commute, and I'm not sure why it's got the number one spot. I like the first track ('Slowmo') a lot, and I'll probably get the second one ('Star Roving') as well. Apart from that, however, the remaining 6 tracks just sort of wash over me and there's nothing that especially stands out or makes me take notice. It's just a bit boring. I appreciate that the band, back in their heyday, were seminal in the development of shoegaze, but I far prefer Cigarette After Sex's album from last year, which has a similar-ish sound. I expect it's people who enjoyed their earlier output who have pushed it up to number 1.

By about Thursday I'd got pretty fed up with Slowdive so I started to listen to the Mastodon album instead. I was a bit dubious at first, as I've never really been into heavy metal, and when I saw that there was a track called 'Scorpion Breath' on the album I grew even more doubtful. After only a couple of listens, however, I can tell that this will definitely be a keeper. The drumming and the guitars are completely infectious. It's hard not to pull this face when you're listening to it:

Spoiler

meanfaces.jpg

Great stuff.

I think Slowdive's new album is better than anything they did back in the day. It's gotta a lovely hazy summery feel and reminds me of last summer actually as I listened to it a lot running by the sea. 

I can see why you'd superficially compare Cigarettes, but they have a much more classicist style, more like Roy Orbison or Francoise Hardy. 

I love both albums, on reflection I should have made Cigarettes my album of the year though.

According to the Americans and the Grammy last night, Bruno Mars released the best album of 2017.

Pretty amazing win given it created no buzz, no one talked about it, it didn't appear on any end-of-year lists I read (including this one), so congrats to Bruno on his win against the odds there.