Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2018 Edition

22/09/18 Sonic Generations: Been chipping away at this for years. Love the look of it and the music - both the old midi style tunes and the more recent cheese rock. First few minutes always has me smiling, but it's never long before the parade of negatives saps away the joy. I always get the sense that it would be great fun if you master it and can move smoothly through it, but can't imagine it would be worth the slog of trial and error and rote memorisation. There are flashes of fun and excitement, even in the 3d stages, but most of the time it just drifts between OK and a bit rubbish.

23/09/18 Superhot VR: Shakey start due to technical problems - actually requested a refund. Luckily it was denied, which at the time, is not something I thought I'd be typing. Figuring I should try and get my money's worth, fired it up again to find the issues had somehow sorted themselves out. Then I was a sort of morally bankrupt Neo for a couple of hours and life was good. The way each stage is broken up spoils the flow and sense of place, and I find the framing a bit grating, but generally its as awesome as everyone says. Some of the best moments are when you've failed so many times, you end up doing the prior sections effectively in real time, which feels even better than slow-mo limbo dancing under bullets.

On a semi related note, I was at a music festival years ago, and on the night before it started they showed The Matrix on big screens in the campsite. When Neo starts to believe at the end, everyone in the site - thousands of people, all started chanting "Nee-oh, Nee-oh, Nee-oh...".

23/09/18 Quanero (Steam VR): Short (and free) little experience. You play a detective investigating an explosion in a futuristic bar. You basically just warp around trying to find out everything the happened - what caused the explosion and everything that followed. It's a like the combat analysis in Arkham VR, or the memory hacking in remember me, but you can't change anything, just scrub the time-line and try to observe all the details. More fun than it sounds. The bar and people are nicely detailed, and there are enough little micro stories interacting such that whatever you're focused on, something else will be overlapping it that you'll want to go back to next. There's only a couple of minutes of material, but there are a specific number of incidents to find, and I think I spent nearly an hour in it. 

Previous:

04/01/18 - Life is Strange: amazing but heartbreaking if it clicks. Dawson's Creek meets quantum leap if it doesn't. 
14/01/18 - Titanfall 2: Crysis vs Mechwarrior vs Mirror's Edge- mighty good fun.
16/01/18 - Headlander: 70's style futurism action platformer (without any jumping). Good, but somehow less than the sum of its parts.
22/01/18 - Dreamfall Chapters: One for the fans only - you should be a fan. 
24/01/18 - Lucky's Tale: Canceled N64 game gets late VR release.

01/02/18 - Shadow of Mordor: Lord of the Batmans - be an actual boss, but with more sword-fights and less admin.
10/02/18 - Robo Recall: Possibly a class A substance.
12/02/18 - Wilson's Heart: Star in an awesome old horror b-movie. Feel even more annoyed than the cantankerous old man you play as.
13/02/18 - Arkham VR: Uncharacteristically nonviolent Batman sim. Good but very short.
19/02/18 - Transistor: Nice soundtrack, and good battle system, but otherwise irritating. 
25/02/12 - Grow Home: Drunk Jack and the bean-stalk.
28/02/12 - The Stick of Truth: South Park / 10 

02/03/18 - Doki Doki Literature Club: Messed up visual novel. Play Pony Island first.
03/03/18 - Lego Marvel Superheroes: Preview what younger relatives will turn out like should they develop serious drug addictions.
23/03/18 - The Witcher: Clunky, but interestingly offbeat western rpg gameplay expertly fused to an excellent story.
24/03/18 - I Expect You To Die: Comedy spy themed trial and error vr escape rooms. Better than Johnny English, not quite Jason Borne.
25/03/18 - Double Dragon Neon: Battle license fee dodging, off-brand skeletor and his army in quality side scrolling brawler.
28/03/18 - The Darkness 2: Use the phrase "visceral combat" appropriately and without fear of chastisement.

06/04/18 - Rise of the Tomb Raider: The high points of actual tomb raiding shine brightly through a haze of enjoyable but unnecessary combat, crafting, upgrading and icon collecting.
15/04/18 - Poi: Mario 64 tribute act. Good for a night out, but wouldn't pay for full price tickets.
29/04/18 - Thunder Wolves: Fun arcade helicopter combat with obnoxious "mercenaries are SO COOL!" presentation.

12/05/18 - Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis: Old point and clicker. Couple of interesting features but no classic.
13/05/18 - Rez Infinite: State of Art
20/05/18 - Ruiner: Grim and grisly twin stick shooter with a strong aesthetic and top combat. "Dark and mature" in the way only a videogame aimed at teenagers can be.
26/05/18 - RIVE: Twin stick shooter / shmup / platformer hybrid. Feels good, but too tough, and maybe not always fair.
27/05/18 - Subnautica: #Just look at the world around you /Right here on the ocean floor /Such wonderful things surround you /What more is you lookin' for?
31/05/18 - Kathy Rain: Excellent point and click adventure. Old-school style, but lots of modern refinements.

14/07/18 - Deus Ex - Mankind Divided: A slightly rote entry in series started by possibly the best game ever is still a pretty good game.
24/07/18 - The Sexy Brutale: Stylish time travel puzzle adventure. Depth of story not matched by gameplay, but short enough to be worth a run through.

11/08/18 - A Hat in Time: Exuberant 3d platforming that borrows the right amount from the masters, while having its own groove. Gets better as it goes along.
15/08/18 - The Climb: climb stuff in VR. Think of all the beautiful vistas behind your back as you peer at the rock faces in front of you. Satisfyingly demanding with touch controls.
16/08/18 - Rakuen: RPG-lite with heavy subject matter, mixing syrupy fantasy with realistic scenarios of loss, grief and suffering. Lays it on a bit thick.

08/09/18 - Red Faction Guerrila Re-Mars-tered: Serviceable open-world sci-fi action game strapped to amazing explosive demolition sim.
14/09/18 - Chronos (Oculus): Quality soulslike in 3rd person VR with plenty of its own ideas.
16/09/18 - Another Perspective: Enjoy and hour of clever platform puzzles and existential crisis.
18/09/18 - Firewatch: A pleasant walk and good conversation while you watch your little piece of the world burn. 

• Upvote 2

This kick arse year of gaming continues with another top quality title done and dusted:

27/09 - Spiderman (PS4) - Another absolute powerhouse of a title and a perfect example of an open world game done right. Thanks to a relative lack of padding in the collectables/sidequest department it helps maintain the focus on the excellent story throughout. Any diversions that are on offer (backpack collecting, crimes and research stations etc) all feel perfectly in keeping with the world, without ever becoming an all consuming distraction. 

Traversing the city is an absolute joy, so much so I don't think I ever used fast travel.. and in terms of the visuals, Oh my! Its up there as one of the best this year. An absolute beauty that's allowed to shine even more thanks to an ever expanding photomode. 

Roll on the New game+ and DLC.

All pics from my Amazing Adventures with Spiderman can be found here:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpCVgSB    

Previously completed:

Spoiler

01/01 - Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)

05/02 - Celeste (Switch)

24/02 - Assassins Creed Origins (PS4)

28/02 - Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

09/03 - Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4) 

17/03 - Life is Strange Season 1 (PS4)

24/03 - Assassins Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4)

08/04 - The Lost Bear (PSVR)

13/04 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4)

23/06 - Onrush (PS4) 

25/06 - God of War (PS4) 

27/06 - The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4)

12/07 - Far Cry 5 (PS4) 

29/08 - Assassins Creed Origins: Curse of the Pharaoh's DLC (PS4)

• Upvote 3

Sep

30/09 The Expendabros (PC) In complete contrast to the puzzle game I played below this is brainless mindless fun. It's a special tie in promotional game promoting The Expendables and Broforce. You can still get it on Steam for nothing and if you want a 16bit sideways scrolling shooter it will fill that hole.

30/09 klocki (PC) So this is by the same person who made the puzzle game Hook and it's pretty much the same sort of thing. The first ten puzzle are really too easy, then it throws in some new interesting elements and then it gets tougher and tougher. You can still finish it in an hour but for less than a buck it's totally work it if you love puzzle games.

30/09 Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble (PC) This is more of the same but this time you have to pay money for it. Which I was fine with, it's just as charming (again it's only an hour long.)  Again, Undertale fans might well love this.

30/09 Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (PC) I loved this. It's got a very odd look to it (the colour pallette of an Atari 2600 game, the chunky pixels of a Vic20 game, some colour clash and a SID style soundtrack. I have a feeling Undertale fans would love this. It's on Steam. It's an hour long and it's free. It also has a very amusing end game.

29/09 Marie's Room (PC) Another free walking simulator on Steam. Except there's not much walking here, you're exploring one room in order to put the pieces together in a journal to access a locked case. It's short and if you like the whole vibe from games like Life is Strange and Gone Home there's worse ways to spend an hour.

18/09 A Date in the Park (PC) My favourite of the short games I've played this week so far. It's about an earnest young man on holiday in a park in Portugal trying to meet up with a girl he met the night before. Is it true love? Will he ever be able to talk to anyone without asking if they speak English? And what about that duckling? It's free on Steam and it looks like a Sierra VGA adventure game when they went for photo realism. In 640 by 480 pixels.

16/09 Fatale:Exploring Salome (PC)  I've never set aside to experience this art project in all the years of owning it. I like walking simulators, I like art games. This should be great. (One hour later.) Um...no. I've liked other works of Tale of Tales but this one just left me cold. Maybe I would have been more impressed had I played it when I bought it...but now....no. Play anything by Fullbright or The Chinese Room over this.

15/09 Mandagon (PC) A Metroidvania set in Tibetin limbo with no enumies. Just you. It's essentially a 2D walking simulator. You'll either find it relaxing and zen like I did of fall asleep. Again, another free short game about death.

13/09 Port of Call (PC) Another short game about death. I found it too much of a sparse fetch quest at first but the end of the short story was pretty good. Again another Steam freebie.

12/09 Sisyphus Reborn (PC) Short and sparse adventure game. Possibly not the best game to play at the end of a shitty day...or so I thought. (Free on Steam.)

10/09 Pink Heaven (PC) Came back to attempt to complete this neat little 8 bit style platformer three years after my last attempt only to have beat the boss and the game two minutes later! Both this and Pink Hour by Studio Pixel are free on Steam and highly recommended for those who love retro style platformers.

10/09 The Old Tree (PC) Very short free point and click game very much in the vein of Botanicula. Help a little alien (best decribed as a literal crabapple) make his way outside a tree to see the night sky. It's free, it's charming, what more could you want? 

Aug
31/08 Metro Cop (Broswer)
27/08 Behind Every Great One (PC)
25/08 Daytona USA (360)
22/08 Mad Max (PS4)
05/08 Space Rat (Browser)
04/08 Splinter Cell:Conviction (360)
Jul
29/07 Infamous:Second Son (PS4)
22/07 Call of Duty:Black Ops 3 (PS4)
21/07 Gravity Rush 2 (+Raven's Choice DLC) (PS4)
19/07 A Museum of Dubious Splendors (PC)
19/07 Gorogora (PC)
16/07 The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4)
14/07 Assassin's Creed:Revelations (PS4)
01/07 Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood (PS4)
Jun
13/06 Assassin's Creed 2 (PS4)
02/06 Aye Fair Lady (PC)
May
27/05 Loci Omnes Caelesistis Kyries (PC)
26/05 Il Filo Conduttore (PC)
25/05 Beyond:Two Souls (PS4)
21/05 Magic Sword (360)
06/05 Midnight Scenes:The Highway (PC)
06/05 The Librarian (PC)
Apr
30/04 Shadowhand (PC)
29/04 Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
25/04 Final Fight (360/Arcade)
22/04 Gorf (Vic 20)
08/04 Star Raiders (Atari 8 Bit)
02/04 Assassin's Creed:Origins (PS4)
Mar
30/03 Tutankham (2600)
20/03 Rime (PS4)
18/03 Caligo (PC)
11/03 Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
11/03 Samorost 2 (PC/Browser)
11/03 Samorost (Browser)
03/03 Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious (360)
Feb
24/02 Metal Gear (MSX/360)
18/02 Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
01/02 Batman:The Telltale Series (PS4)
Jan
29/01 Final Fantasy 15:Episode Prompto and Ignis (PS4)
27/01 Ghost 1.0 (PC)
13/01 Yorkshire Gubbins:Episode 1 (PC)
11/01 Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
06/01 Universal Paperclips (Browser)
03/01 What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)

Abandoned
28/01 Zolg (PC)

• Upvote 4

September 2018

Dark Souls III (PS4 - 2016)

There's a point towards the end of this game where you defeat a boss, light a bonfire and then walk twenty yards without fighting a single enemy and immediately get another bonfire. In some ways that kind of sums up the Dark Souls III experience. The core gameplay loop is still so addictive but something about the patchwork construction of the gameworld and phoned-in Dark Souls I references leaves the game as a whole feeling lacking. DSIII seems easier too (minus the last boss and Nameless King), which is definitely not a case of franchise familiarity as I played the Dark Souls Remastered network test on Switch last weekend and was getting kicked around the Undead Parish just like old times. Overall, I think my series ranking would be (minus Demon's Souls as I've never had a PS3): Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II. A great game in its own right that's better than 99% of all other games out there, but one overshadowed slightly by its towering predecessors. 9/10

Previously...

September 2018: Shenmue (PS4 - 2018) 9/10

August 2018: A Way Out (PS4 - 2018) 5/10

August 2018: Bloodborne (PS4 - 2015) 9/10

July 2018: Fahrenheit (PC - 2005) 5/10

July 2018: Mario Tennis Aces (Switch - 2018) 4/10

July 2018: Yoku's Island Express (Switch - 2018) 7/10

June 2018: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch - 2018) 6/10

May 2018: Doom (Switch - 2017) 7/10

April 2018: Golf Story (Switch - 2017) 7/10

February 2018: Celeste (Switch - 2018) 7/10

January 2018: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch - 2017) 7/10

• Upvote 4

Destiny 2, year one campaigns - (PC)

I worked my way through all the year one campaign content, played a lot of Crucible, did a bit of post campaign dicking about. No raids. Only one strike! (two if you count the beta). It's a nice shooting gallery, nice environments, always feels satisfying at a basic mechanical level... I don't know, I have an odd relationship with the franchise where despite racking up 100+ hours across both games and D2 being my go to chill out game it feels like I've walked through the wrong door and I'm playing the wrong game.

I'm enjoying Forsaken so far and I've still got those year 1 strikes and post campaign quests to chew through, so I'll probably be posting another slightly baffled, generally positive post about that in the 2019 games you've finished thread in a years time.

2018 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Vanquish (360)

February:

Ghost Recon Shadow War (3DS)

March:

Super Metroid (SNES Mini)

Split Second (360)

April:

Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Wii U)

Metro Last Light (360)

May:

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (360)

July:

Castlevania (NES mini)

August:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES mini)

Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES via Wii U virtual console)

2017 list:

Spoiler

Steam World Heist

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Kane and Lynch 2

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 

Fire Emblem Echoes

Fire Emblem Awakenings

Forza Horizon

Metroid: Samus Returns

Nights Into Dreams

• Upvote 3

Layers of Fear

Shadow of Mordor

Pillars of Eternity

Hand of Fate

RE7 and Not a Hero

Titanfall 2
Valley

AC: Syndicate 

Pokemon Moon 

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Inside
Aaero
Destiny 2

Elder Scrolls: Online - I picked it up on a whim for £7.50 with the Morrowind expansion that includes a new player experience.

Look, I've never been one for MMOs, the gameplay is so, so shit, and the whole genre just seemed hidebound and massively dated. My dull awareness of this title is that it launched as a bit of a generic MMO-with-a-license rather than the multiplayer Elder Scrolls game that people really wanted, but over the years has gradually added more and more Elder-Scrolls-ness, crime and punishment, vampirism and lycanthropy, sitting in chairs, all that good stuff. Also it switched from a subscription game to a "pay once with a cash shop" model, and dropped the old fixed levelling system so you can just freeroam anywhere and do anything at any level.

And I really enjoyed it, while not identical, it's certainly close enough now to scratch that familiar itch. For one, it's actually advanced MMO gameplay to around that of a 2008 AAA game, which means better combat than Morrowind or Oblivion, better quest design and characterisation than any in the series (significantly so in the latter case) an incredibly robust crafting system, an housing and furnishing system that exceeds any in the series, as well as a frankly bewildering outfit and style system. In fact, there's quite a bit here I'd like them to nick for ESVI, like the skill lines for guilds or races, or unlocking them based on gear usage.

It's also fucking huge - Morrowind's main campaign followed by heading to the mainland and doing one of the factions main campaigns and reaching Level 50 (which is what I'm counting as complete for the purpose of this post) took me around 125 hours of adventuring through huge varied and interesting zones, and there's basically 2 other factions and a whole heap of DLC zones that I never stepped foot in. There's a lot of enjoyment at seeing locations like Elswyr, Summerset or Valenwood brought to life. I've only been playing solo, and it feels like I'm still only brushing the surface when it comes to a lot of the game.

I've not only bought the other expansions since, I've rolled up a second character, and then probably a third... they've got me pretty heavily invested.

TL;DR: If you're a fan of the series, don't skip this one just because it says "Online".

• Upvote 2

01/10/2018 - Lords of the Fallen (PC)

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I don't like Dark Souls. I had about 120+ hours on the 360 across a few characters, completed it but - outside of the novelty at the start - I don't think I ever really enjoyed it. I know it has oodles of depth, I know people love the lore and how you have to piece things together, the number of viable builds, the interconnected world etc. I get all that. Still don't like it and have no interest in games of that lineage (and I don't own a PS4 anyway, so Bloodborne is out regardless).

This, obviously, was essentially a Western Souls ripoff homage and that was both a hook and the cause of its downfall. It did well enough that there is sequel in the works, at least, but mechanically it is much leaner, the world is a bit messier, there are fewer viable builds and so on.

But I don't care. I really liked this.

Over the course of the last couple of weeks I started to put in an hour here and there and then probably 10-12 hours over the weekend and today to finish it off. Sure, there are glitches (twice today the game unceremoniously booted me out, losing me some progress), there are some really annoying enemies (shield knights, anybody? Mages?) there's a real lack of direction (it is all too easy to wander around without a clue) and anytime you fight more than 1 enemy the camera has an absolute fit.

My biggest issue though was that a) some weapons scale with a certain stat - but there's a frightening lack of Faith scaling weapons, which is very annoying; and b) magic is a bit rubbish but, at the same time, almost mandatory to cheese some of the enemies (including bosses if you have the patience). Both are things I hope to be addressed in the sequel.

On the plus side, it sure does look pretty at times, there's a heft to weapons, the story is okay (though Harkyn's voice actor sounds like he's trying to do a very serious Jason Statham impression) and I was able to complete it! I originally stated it at least a couple of years ago and found it really challenging from the very first enemy you see - I thought I'd never complete it (because I generally suck at games) - but by not just rushing in and trying to twat everything in the face I was able to control the duels. Most of the bosses I did first time, indeed the only one I really struggled with was the penultimate battle.

It may not do anything brilliantly or hold a candle to the genre leader but it was a good, weighty hack-and-slash ARPG which (a couple of sections aside) I was very happy to have experienced. Roll on LotF2 (not that I'll ever be able to play it, following some upcoming life changes this could well be the last game I complete this year/ever - growing up sucks :()

Previously completed:

Spoiler

10/08/18 - The Wolf Among Us (PC)

09/06/18 - Oxenfree (PC)

27/05/18 - Halycon 6: Lightspeed Edition (PC)

12/05/18 - Orwell (PC)

22/04/18 - Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation (PC)

20/04/18 - Saints Row IV (PC)

02/04/18 - The Flood (PC)

01/04/18 - Massive Chalice (PC)

28/03/18 - Blues and Bullets - episode 1 (PC)

20/03/18 - Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC)

16/02/18 - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC)

06/02/18 - Victor Vran (PC)

30/01/18 - Scream Collector (PC)

28/01/18 - Not Dying Today (PC)

25/01/18 - Titanfall 2 (PC)

21/01/18 - Earthlock: Festival of Magic (PC)

06/01/18 - Einar (PC)

• Upvote 3

January

1. Darksiders 2 (The Deathinitive Edition) (2012/2015) PS4 - 15/01/2018 (Normal Difficulty)

2. DLC Darksiders 2: Argul's Tomb - The Abyssal Forge - The Demon Lord Belial [DLC Expansion Missions] - 18/01/2018

3. Uncanny Valley - (2015/2017) PS4 - 24/01/2018 (100% Trophy Achievements)

4. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (2015/16) PS4 28/01/2018 (One of the True Endings with Takura Tsurugi)

February

5. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (2015) PS3 - 16/02/2018

March

6. Grand Kingdom (2015/16) PS4 - 19/03/2018 (Main Campaign)

7. Mighty No. 9 (2016) PS4 - 28/03/2018 (Normal Playthrough)

April

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016) PS4 16/04/2018 (Main Campaign - Normal Difficulty)

9. Ratchet & Clank (2016) PS4 28/04/2018 (Normal Difficulty)

May

10. Super Metroid (1994) SNES (mini) 01/05/2018 (83% completion rate)

11. Super Contra III (1992) SNES (mini) 10/05/2018 (Easy & Normal)

12. Batman (Season 1) - Telltale Games (2016) PS4 - 17/05/2018

13. King Oddball (2014) PS4 - 10Tons 28/05/2018 (Main Game Stages)

June

14. Grand Kingdom (2015/16) PS4 - 12/06/2018 (Landerth Campaign)

September

15. Final Fantasy XII : Zodiac Age (2006/2017) PS4 - 24/09/2018 

It's been an age since I last posted a finished game in here and while part of that has been down to starting a new job and having far less time, FFXII has taken up 151 hours of my time before I finally saw the credits roll. I'd been sick of PS+ piling up new stock continually and decided I'd buy something I specifically wanted to try out, which combined with the lack of a solid internet connection, helped me to keep full attention on this one without straying once. For me this was how I used to do games before venturing into the free monthly games thing and I think I'm going to continue with that approach. FFXII happened to be the next title in the main series I'd been ready to start, aside from XI which I've left out for the obvious reason of being an older online only MMO. It must have been a fair few years since FFX and X-2 were finished too, so now felt about right to move onto this. I did once actually buy it on the PS2 but left it unplayed for years, and decided that I'd wait for its eventual re-release which then got announced some years back, meaning that I'd just go straight to Zodiac Age when it came out, and whilst it's been out for a bit now, I just happened to grab it from a fellow on here a few months ago. 

So...how did I find the experience of FF XII?

It's certainly different from any of the others I've played so far, and I would say it took time to grow on me. I also still prefer X to XII overall and felt with that one I was more bound to the story and the character development and general world itself. That isn't to say there's anything wrong with this one, as the general performance is pretty good, but it kind of reminds me of when I went from FFVII to VIII, where things feel a bit less fantasy and more realistic with a bit of a duller story about kingdoms. I'd seen people talk about the shallowness of the characters in terms of exploring their story arcs, and yeah I have to agree there. The main character you start with isn't the main hero like most games, but then that also makes it feel a bit fresh. I'd say it's more about Ashe, but still it doesn't go deep enough. The clear focus on the game is the gameplay itself, and this is reason it took longer for me to get into because I'm all about the involving stories. 

One of the main things you do in this game is search and find boss fights, many of which are in the form of 45 hunt battles, 44 of which I did until the game decided it would ask me if I wanted to do New Game + and then wipe entirely over my last save which was highly annoying. I felt like in the early moments of the game, I was following more of the story, but as you play more and attempt to do the extra bits and revisit areas, more and more things start to happen. The good thing about these hunts is that they aren't always straight forward to get to and you have to figure out how to coax it out, or work on some additional story element in order to get there. The gambit system took a bit of time to get my head around, but once it's in place then you'll find it's actually a godsend. Yes, it does sometimes feel like it plays itself, but your focus is on fighting the difficult battles and figuring out how best to take them down. There are also other fights like the optional espers which often tend to require some additional though and careful strategy, but they always seemed to mix things up in unexpected ways to keep you on your toes. An example would be the Exodus esper which came out of nowhere after I was exploring a puzzle, trying to work out what a bunch of hot springs did in an area, eventually leading me to this fight on a high mountain. It started out easy enough, but then puts an item ban on your entire party, and when you lose your only two characters who raise people, it gets dangerous quickly. But from this moment, I found the genius plan of using a feature I'd never checked out before which sacrifices one character to bring back another, and this in turn saved my entire party and allowed me to win the 40 min long battle. That was one, but there were many like this with some lasting almost two hours (Gilgamesh second fight being an example). It eventually started to turn the game into what reminded me of Dark Souls, and strangely I have this feeling I've read someone point this out on here a long time ago. That's when the gameplay element of taking down these boss characters became the main focus of the game, and as I went further into the story, I'd find myself revisiting the next story progression less and less often. 

The game is very large and can feel repetitive at times, but the biggest godsend they added to Zodiac Age for me has been the 4X speed button. I'd originally started without it then moved to the X2 speed before using the fastest one only and very frequently, but it's great for getting to and from places quickly and taking down enemies to build up XP a lot quicker. The fact I've STILL managed to spend 151 hours on it with most but a few bosses to do makes me think how insane it would have been for me on the PS2, and I think it's possible I'd have gotten fed up and left it unfinished. The music grew on me more as I played too and I think the re-mastered orchestral stuff is really well done for the most of it, while some of the original scores are nice to listen to as well. I found myself switching back and forth on occasion just to mix things up and I've also found myself continually humming music from the game in my head over and over for months (annoyingly). FFX Return To Zanarkand is still far better though and much better than the title screen music to this one, although that grew a little as I heard it more. 

I'd pretty much done the majority of battles in the game aside from about 3 espers of 16 and another hunt, and losing that last save has pissed me off a bit. I do have another one but it's likely a few hours behind and means doing all that stuff where shadowbringer or whatever it's called is located on unknown floor. I did enjoy the fact that I found pretty much everything I did without having to resort to a guide either, and that's probably where the added time came from, as I'd continually discover new things. The plan was to finish it then resort to a guide to find out remaining battles and things I'd missed out on just because I'd managed to do so much already. 

Overall It's not a bad game at all, and was enjoyable, if not a bit overly long for me, but then again I was attempting to do the extras on my own. I did feel hugely overpowered for the main storyline eventually by going off and fighting these optional bosses, but they were the bits that I gained most satisfaction from anyway. The class system worked out really good for me, as I managed to get every class attached between all 6 characters, but did get a bit confused as to why I couldn't fill in all the spaces on the board. It just got to a point where there were no objects to reveal, despite there clearly being blank squares with details of abilities you could learn from them. Another thing I liked was the way that every character had a detailed story written about them as you fought enemies. It does get tedious after a while, as there are sooooo many of them, but I found myself reading a lot. I'd write more but it's getting quite long as it is so I'll leave it there. I will say though that it was really good to finally get this played and looks very nice overall considering it's from 2006 on the PS2. 

verdict: 8/10

• Upvote 4

Spoiler

Puyo Puyo Tetris - Vita.  Completed story mode or whatever it's called.  I completed the PS3 version a while back and this time I convinced myself I'll go back and get three stars on each level, but having just finished it, I think some of the levels are just going to be too difficult.  I might revisit some of them.  Still a brilliant game.  Some great ideas implemented in mashing the two games together.

Puyo Puyo Tetris - PS4.  Yeah.  'Completed' story mode again.  However, I must have not been paying attention when I finished this on PS3 and Vita as going back into story mode after the credits opens up three new worlds.  So I'll probably go back and do those plus I'm going for three stars on everything this time.

King of Dragons - Arcade (via PSP (via PSTV)). Capcom side-scroller with not much finesse in its gameplay really. Jump/attack/smart bomb; no run, no other attack system other than smashing the attack button.  This is still pretty enjoyable, especially when some of the bigger bosses show up for the first time.  Sadly it drags on a bit (14 levels!) and the bosses are repeated too many times.  On the plus side, this is a beautifully presented game; the bigger dragons are especially impressive and the music by none other than Yoko Shimomura of Street Fighter II fame.  I completed this by credit-feeding it so no glory in doing so really but there it is.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita. Finished the stupid story mode.  Stupid because it's hours of reams of text with the occasional level to play.  They even give you a button so you can whizz through all the text more quickly.  But it's still hours of tedium.

^ + all trophies

Soul Calibur II HD Online - Xbox 360

'Completed' weapon master, which is the single player story mode.  'Completed' because while I've seen the end credits, doing so has unlocked some extra chapters which I'll probably go on to complete.  Some interesting levels in the single player experience, but aside from a few (only wall combos damage the opponent; only air combos damage the opponent; perform a guard impact against the enemy), none of them really teach you much about playing the game.  Still satisfying to play however, because Soul Calibur just has a great feel to its combat.  

Sacred Citadel - Xbox 360 - picked this randomly from my digital pile of shame snd found it a surprisingly fun side scrolling scrapper with a decent combat system.  Looks nice too.

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush - Wii-U - Actually, I completed this previously (well, the story mode), but I've been going back to it every now and then to get gold on each level, find all the treasure chests, collect all the books and then to complete all 48 challenges in challenge mode.

While story mode is pretty easy to complete, finishing all the above and then challenge mode was actually, well, challenging.  The survival challenges especially, and those that require beating each boss without taking any damage to unlock.  Anyway, all done now.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PSP - Completed all 40-odd songs on 'normal', got to dick around on the end credits screen.  I found this difficult at first, but once used to the weird note patterns, this became much more playable but perhaps a little too basic due to there being only two note buttons on 'normal'.  I might play through again on 'hard' (which introduces notes on all four face buttons), but my couple of forays into that setting have indicated that somewhere between 'normal' and 'hard' would been the sweet spot; the main issue with 'hard' (for me) being that at times, entire sequences are a mix of all four buttons (combined occasionally with a d-pad movement) and combined with the swirly note patterns, it's just that little bit too hard to keep up.  I might persevere though.  Music is terrible throughout, but I do love a rhythm game, so I've enjoyed this quite a lot.

Quackshot - Mega Drive - Never actually got round to completing this before.  Back in the day I enjoyed playing this, but always felt it was far inferior to Castle of Illusion.  It's actually a really decent platformer apart from a few ropey bits and a leap of faith section which is never welcome in a platform game.  The budget Metroid-style hopping backwards and forwards between levels with new abilities is fairly well done too if not exactly ambitious in scale.

^^ previous

Catherine - Xbox 360 - Absolutely loved this. Despite being told in the Catherine thread that the block puzzle levels are bobbins and that it's all about the rest of the game, I found the opposite to be true. I did enjoy the setting, the cutscenes and the overall story (although it lost me a bit when it all went a bit wtf towards the end), but wandering around pressing 'A' in the bar was definitely the weakest part of the game. The meat of the game - the puzzle levels - are excellent once the rules click into place. Controls are a bit annoying at times, but not insurmountably so. I'd love to say I'm going to finish all the Babel levels and get gold on everything but I'm nowhere near good enough and can't even finish the first Babel level. 

"Now's not the time to be dead."

• Upvote 3

Oct

07/10 Up Left Out (PC) Another puzzle game from the same people who made klocki and Hook. This had a couple of tricky ones near the end but they fell after 91 minutes over the course of a few days. I've found these quite relaxing.

07/10 Donkey Kong (NES) So my wife bought me a Switch for our wedding anniversary out of the blue! And this afternoon while scrolling through the old NES games as part of the sub I spied good old Donkey Kong. An easy "complete" this one, especially as the cheat I learned watching The King of Kong for the elevator screen works on the NES version as well allowing you to skip a third of the level.

Sep
30/09 The Expendabros (PC)
30/09 klocki (PC)
30/09 Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble (PC)
30/09 Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (PC)
29/09 Marie's Room (PC)
18/09 A Date in the Park (PC)
16/09 Fatale:Exploring Salome (PC)
15/09 Mandagon (PC)
13/09 Port of Call (PC)
12/09 Sisyphus Reborn (PC)
10/09 Pink Heaven (PC)
10/09 The Old Tree (PC)
Aug
31/08 Metro Cop (Broswer)
27/08 Behind Every Great One (PC)
25/08 Daytona USA (360)
22/08 Mad Max (PS4)
05/08 Space Rat (Browser)
04/08 Splinter Cell:Conviction (360)
Jul
29/07 Infamous:Second Son (PS4)
22/07 Call of Duty:Black Ops 3 (PS4)
21/07 Gravity Rush 2 (+Raven's Choice DLC) (PS4)
19/07 A Museum of Dubious Splendors (PC)
19/07 Gorogora (PC)
16/07 The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4)
14/07 Assassin's Creed:Revelations (PS4)
01/07 Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood (PS4)
Jun
13/06 Assassin's Creed 2 (PS4)
02/06 Aye Fair Lady (PC)
May
27/05 Loci Omnes Caelesistis Kyries (PC)
26/05 Il Filo Conduttore (PC)
25/05 Beyond:Two Souls (PS4)
21/05 Magic Sword (360)
06/05 Midnight Scenes:The Highway (PC)
06/05 The Librarian (PC)
Apr
30/04 Shadowhand (PC)
29/04 Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
25/04 Final Fight (360/Arcade)
22/04 Gorf (Vic 20)
08/04 Star Raiders (Atari 8 Bit)
02/04 Assassin's Creed:Origins (PS4)
Mar
30/03 Tutankham (2600)
20/03 Rime (PS4)
18/03 Caligo (PC)
11/03 Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
11/03 Samorost 2 (PC/Browser)
11/03 Samorost (Browser)
03/03 Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious (360)
Feb
24/02 Metal Gear (MSX/360)
18/02 Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
01/02 Batman:The Telltale Series (PS4)
Jan
29/01 Final Fantasy 15:Episode Prompto and Ignis (PS4)
27/01 Ghost 1.0 (PC)
13/01 Yorkshire Gubbins:Episode 1 (PC)
11/01 Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
06/01 Universal Paperclips (Browser)
03/01 What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)

Abandoned
28/01 Zolg (PC)

• Upvote 2

5/10/18 Tony Hawk's Po Skater HD: A greatest hits of your favourite band, but all cover versions performed by hacks who neither love nor understand the originals. The only reason I even got to the end was that the main level I wanted to play (Marseilles) is the final one you unlock. It reminded me of how much fun I had with the old games and the music is still good. Other than that, I think I'm slightly offended by it. There is one other plus point, it's been withdrawn from sale.

06/10/18 GORN (PC VR): Comedy gladiator sim where all the combatants and their weapons are made of rubber - but remain lethally sharp, heavy and concussive. As hinted by the title, the level of violence is insane, with the cartoony vibe being just enough to make the slide into feral lunacy seem fine and fun. The rubberised objects do a great job compensating for the common problem of weightless ghost weapons, and I routinely found myself hefting and swinging as if I could feel their weight rather than lamely waggling at a thousand strokes per minute. 

there are a few movement options. The intended one involves gripping the air and dragging yourself around with your hands. It's very difficult to move quickly and tiring over a long session, but is the best option by far because it makes you feel like one of the top heavy lumbering goons you're fighting, and adds significant challenge to the game. Free movement with a stick leaves things trivially easy.

There's not much structure and its more of a dip-in game with a focus on score attacks or just having as much fun as possible. There is a campaign of sorts though, and while the developer says there's more to come, I've completed what's there now. The final boss manages to be terrifying, disgusting, challenging, exhausting and very satisfying to beat. Plus if I play much more, there'll be no more plaster or the walls and I'll need new controllers.

07/10/18 Enter The Gungeon: Rogue-like bullet-hell twin-stick shooter and absolutely brilliant. Successfully mixes a requirement for earned skill and knowledge with a large dose of randomness, risk vs reward and gambling. Overflowing with content, ideas, character and humour. There are hundreds of guns and items, many of which interact in useful or funny ways. Even after more than 120 hours, I'm steadily unlocking and seeing new stuff. 

It's maybe a bit too tough and miserly with the good stuff - especially at the beginning, but that at least forces you to develop some basic competence, and the loose tying of increasing ability and tougher areas to a bigger proportion of high-powered ordinance makes it very compelling. The random element means there's always a slight chance of a hilariously overpowered load-out or a heroic struggle where you're shafted at every turn.

There's still loads to do, but the stated goal is to kill your past, and I managed it with the pilot. I'll probably do more, but the others don;t seem as much fun, and I doubt I'd ever attain the skills to do everything anyway. 

Previous:

04/01/18 - Life is Strange: amazing but heartbreaking if it clicks. Dawson's Creek meets quantum leap if it doesn't. 
14/01/18 - Titanfall 2: Crysis vs Mechwarrior vs Mirror's Edge- mighty good fun.
16/01/18 - Headlander: 70's style futurism action platformer (without any jumping). Good, but somehow less than the sum of its parts.
22/01/18 - Dreamfall Chapters: One for the fans only - you should be a fan. 
24/01/18 - Lucky's Tale: Canceled N64 game gets late VR release.
01/02/18 - Shadow of Mordor: Lord of the Batmans - be an actual boss, but with more sword-fights and less admin.
10/02/18 - Robo Recall: Possibly a class A substance.
12/02/18 - Wilson's Heart: Star in an awesome old horror b-movie. Feel even more annoyed than the cantankerous old man you play as.
13/02/18 - Arkham VR: Uncharacteristically nonviolent Batman sim. Good but very short.
19/02/18 - Transistor: Nice soundtrack, and good battle system, but otherwise irritating. 
25/02/12 - Grow Home: Drunk Jack and the bean-stalk.
28/02/12 - The Stick of Truth: South Park / 10 
02/03/18 - Doki Doki Literature Club: Messed up visual novel. Play Pony Island first.
03/03/18 - Lego Marvel Superheroes: Preview what younger relatives will turn out like should they develop serious drug addictions.
23/03/18 - The Witcher: Clunky, but interestingly offbeat western rpg gameplay expertly fused to an excellent story.
24/03/18 - I Expect You To Die: Comedy spy themed trial and error vr escape rooms. Better than Johnny English, not quite Jason Borne.
25/03/18 - Double Dragon Neon: Battle license fee dodging, off-brand skeletor and his army in quality side scrolling brawler.
28/03/18 - The Darkness 2: Use the phrase "visceral combat" appropriately and without fear of chastisement.
06/04/18 - Rise of the Tomb Raider: The high points of actual tomb raiding shine brightly through a haze of enjoyable but unnecessary combat, crafting, upgrading and icon collecting.
15/04/18 - Poi: Mario 64 tribute act. Good for a night out, but wouldn't pay for full price tickets.
29/04/18 - Thunder Wolves: Fun arcade helicopter combat with obnoxious "mercenaries are SO COOL!" presentation.
12/05/18 - Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis: Old point and clicker. Couple of interesting features but no classic.
13/05/18 - Rez Infinite: State of Art
20/05/18 - Ruiner: Grim and grisly twin stick shooter with a strong aesthetic and top combat. "Dark and mature" in the way only a videogame aimed at teenagers can be.
26/05/18 - RIVE: Twin stick shooter / shmup / platformer hybrid. Feels good, but too tough, and maybe not always fair.
27/05/18 - Subnautica: #Just look at the world around you /Right here on the ocean floor /Such wonderful things surround you /What more is you lookin' for?
31/05/18 - Kathy Rain: Excellent point and click adventure. Old-school style, but lots of modern refinements.
14/07/18 - Deus Ex - Mankind Divided: A slighly rote entry in series started by possibly the best game ever is still a pretty good game.
24/07/18 - The Sexy Brutale: Stylish time travel puzzle adventure. Depth of story not matched by gameplay, but short enough to be worth a run through.
11/08/18 - A Hat in Time: Exuberant 3d platforming that borrows the right amount from the masters, while having its own groove. Gets better as it goes along.
15/08/18 - The Climb: climb stuff in VR. Think of all the beautiful vistas behind your back as you peer at the rockfaces in front of you. Satisfyingly demanding with touch controls.
16/08/18 - Rakuen: RPG-lite with heavy subject matter, mixing syrupy fantasy with realistic scenarios of loss, grief and suffering. Lays it on a bit thick.
08/09/18 - Red Faction Guerrila Re-Mars-tered: Servicable open-world sci-fi action game strapped to amazing explosive demolition sim.
14/09/18 - Chronos (Oculus):Quality soulslike in 3rd person VR with plenty of its own ideas.
16/09/18 - Another Perspective: Enjoy an hour of clever platform puzzles and existential crisis.
18/09/18 - Firewatch: A pleasant walk and good conversation while you watch your little piece of the world burn. 
22/09/18 - Sonic Generations: Brief happiness followed by perennial disappointment at speeds faster than can be controlled.
23/09/18 - Superhot VR: Nee-oh! Nee-oh! Nee-oh!
23/09/18 - Quanero (Steam VR): Remeber Me - but don't do anything else.

• Upvote 3

Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

This was pretty crap. It's a metroidvania-lite with pinball elements, but the pinball elements make traversing the game tedious and frustrating, and ultimately they ended up entirely killing my desire to explore. Normally in a game of this type I'd take great pleasure in scouring every corner of the map for secrets, but doing so in this was just too much effort; I'd only got 66% of the items by the time if finished it. If the developers had got rid of the pinball then it would actually have been quite decent, as the interconnected world, music and art-style are all encouraging, but as it is it just didn't work for me.

It also ends very quickly and abruptly, as if the developers had just run out of ideas and/or money and needed to tie things up. I laughed aloud in disbelief when the credits rolled. It's just as well it's so short, really, as otherwise I'd have probably abandoned it.

Disappointing, after all the good things I'd read. I'm glad I waited until the sale to buy it.

• Upvote 4

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (vita)

I wanted to say that the handheld experience shows up Uncharted as a series of connected kill boxes with shooting, and the occasional A-B traversal puzzle mission.

That it's on a handheld isn't the issue, as such. In terms of visual cut backs, it's like if someone remade the first UC game for PS2, and that's fine. It portrays the environments fine, ruins, to jungles, to caves. They're solid enough.

it's all the goddamn collectables, and multiple "points of no return" per level that stop you from going back to mop up. This is because the narrative drives you forward, and the action turns every encounter into a panicky run and gun, of health management, and manoever and counter-manoever. Until you get some of the later weapons, anyway. Other times the game lines up enemies, with a fixed gun emplacement, and asks you to crowd-manage.

It works. It's a game. It's Uncharted.

I completed it at normal, with like, 54% collectables, apparently. I might go back at Very Easy to get the rest.

• Upvote 3

Batman Arkham Knight : PS4

I was late to the PS4 party but loved Asylum and City (didn't finish Origins), this was a brilliant end to the Rocksteady trilogy. I don't normally like open world games, but this has a tight but packed map and gliding around the skies as Batman was a bloody joy. Loved the story, loved the majority of the missions, was really sad when it ended. But the ending section was superb, and an amazing way to finish everything off. Having the Joker around all the time was a genius idea that really worked removing Batman as a silent protagonist. Yes it had some problems, the Batmobile sections could get a bit tiresome, and the Riddler trophies was the only Most Wanted section I didn't do, life is too short for that stuff. I also thought the Arkham Episodes DLC stuff was pretty weak, very short sections that they made longer by making ridiculously hard (the Catwoman v the Robots fight), but the DLC that was embedded into the story worked really well for me, enjoyed all that stuff. Wanted to get this finished as I start a new job on monday and will have a lot less time, but this helped keep me sane while I was waiting to start work again.

The one thing I really didn't like, and never like when games do it, is gating off a 'True' ending behind a "You need to finish everything" wall. If it's a nice extra, then OK, but after watching it on Youtube, I think the bit tacked on to the end of the Knightfall Protocol was pretty important to see. I mean I did 13 of the 14 main missions and the 4 DLC ones, I put my time in. I don't like that devs do this. How many people actually did everything in the game? However, in the days of Youtube its a small gripe about what was a magnificent game. 

Previously

Spoiler

Danganronpa 2

Doki Doki Literature Club

Picross e2

Persona 5

What Remains of Edith Finch

Dear Esther

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

Inside

Virtue’s Last Reward

Danganronpa : Ultra Despair Girls

Hue

Megadimension Neptunia VII

Sword Art Online Re:Hollow Fragment

Persona Q : Shadow of the Labyrinth

• Upvote 3

On 14/01/2018 at 07:51, SuperBrother said:

OK, I’ll join in this year.

Reveal hidden contents

Jan 13 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch). Yes it has issues but IMO a must play for JRPG or open world RPG fans. I put in over 120 hours and will probably go back to m a few months to rinse the DLC content. Now for something lighter and shorter!

Reveal hidden contents

Jan 14 - Inside (PS4). Possibly the fastest update I will do in this thread. Done in one sitting today. I went in totally blind so no idea what was going on or what happens, still sitting here thinking it over now. Another great game, and one which could be considered in the “video games as art” debate. I would recommend to all without reservation.

want to say more but don’t want to spoil anything.

Reveal hidden contents

Feb - Monster Hunter World (PS4). A very strong early runner for GOTY and easily the best game I’ve played from the series. Yet another 100 hour plus game for this list.

Reveal hidden contents

March - Horizon Zero Dawn & DLC. Utterly rinsed this, just one trophy to get the platinum. For a new IP from a historically mediocre dev (IMO) this blew me away. Were it not for Nier Automata and Persona 5 I would say it’s the best game from last year.

Reveal hidden contents

March - Uncharted the Lost Legacy. A great short game, classic uncharted action set pieces, glorious visuals on PS4 Pro. Well worth a quick spin.

Reveal hidden contents

May - Yakuza 6 (PS4). Being a huge fan of the series I loved every minute. Hopefully we see more instalments over here.

June - Assassins Creed Oranges (PS4). Easily the best post-Ezio creed game. I found it more akin to an Egypt based Witcher 3 so right up my street. Some lovely Pro enhanced eye candy as well.

July - Mafia 3 (PS4 pro). I got the season pass edition for £12 from Amazon and went in with low expectations. Loved Mafia 1 & 2 but heard middling views on the new game. Now that the game has been fixed and patched up to run in higher res on pro I thought it was glorious. The story had me hooked, the cover based gunplay entertaining enough and the sense of place astonishing. All DLC and main game missions done.

Septerber - Far Cry 5 (PS4 pro). Like ass creed oranges, this is a real return to form for the series. Ubi are on fire lately and I can’t wait for ass creed Greek edition. Story mode done with probably 80% of the side gubbins, can’t be arsed with DLC.

October - Dragon Quest 11 (PS4 pro). Main story done and most side quests 70 hours worth, can’t be arsed with post game.

What was initially a contender for RPG of the generation soon became a bit of a chore. Story is a bit crap but great voice acting and characters make it worth seeing through. Overall puff puff / 10

Updated for DQ11. Now for some lightweight arcadey shit before Red Dead 2 drops.

• Upvote 2

October 2018

Shenmue II (PS4 - 2018)

I played the Dreamcast version of this at release and remember my overall feeling at the time being that I preferred the first game. Given that the general internet consensus these days is the exact opposite of this opinion, I was curious to return to Shenmue II and see if it really was the series highlight. Well, first impressions were uncertainty over how well the Shenmue obsession with minutiae translates to a big city setting like Hong Kong - the amount of shops and locations is overwhelming meaning there's very little opportunity to get to  know the locals in the way you do in the first game. More gamey elements also begin to intrude: arm wrestling and pawn shops are present in almost comical quantities, and then there's the bizarre placement of the later arcade games. Book carrying and crate shifting are also much, much worse than zooming around in the forklift. But the moment you get to Kowloon the game just massively ups the pace and what follows is undoubtedly the peak of the Shenmue series to date. The amount of new ideas constantly being thrown at the player during this run is phenomenal and it does make you wonder if history might have turned out a bit differently if the series had been like this since day one. Then there's the concluding rural setting of Guilin, which is certainly a memorable change of scene - if a bit of a slow burn. Having replayed both Shenmue games in the last two months, I think I still prefer the small town charms of the original, but the big city bustle of this sequel certainly represents an astonishing technical achievement for a Dreamcast game. Plus, as the final screen of the game says,  "the saga continues" now after all... 8/10

Previously...

September 2018: Dark Souls III (PS4 - 2016) 9/10

September 2018: Shenmue (PS4 - 2018) 9/10

August 2018: A Way Out (PS4 - 2018) 5/10

August 2018: Bloodborne (PS4 - 2015) 9/10

July 2018: Fahrenheit (PC - 2005) 5/10

July 2018: Mario Tennis Aces (Switch - 2018) 4/10

July 2018: Yoku's Island Express (Switch - 2018) 7/10

June 2018: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch - 2018) 6/10

May 2018: Doom (Switch - 2017) 7/10

April 2018: Golf Story (Switch - 2017) 7/10

February 2018: Celeste (Switch - 2018) 7/10

January 2018: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch - 2017) 7/10

• Upvote 5

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle (Switch)

Having quite enjoyed Blade Strangers and having been disappointed by SNK Heroines, I was on the lookout for something else prior to DBFZ and this is a much better game than the first two. I have no history with these games and I don't know any of the other crossover franchises at all, but it's all very anime, in any case. Characters range from basically Sephiroth looking blokes to Totoro and onto half-cat bikini women wielding crucifixes like Sai daggers and then loads of giant scythes and petticoats and monocles. Yer typical anime fare. It's marvellously animated but as with Blade Strangers above, there's a strange stylised pixellation to the characters which jars somewhat with the backgrounds. I think that pixel art everything would have looked a bit better, to be honest, because the overall effect is almost ugly. 

There seems to be an enormous amount of story mode stuff with vast amounts of chat and scenes and artwork between each fight but I must confess to skipping it all. Even when choosing to skip, it seems you can only skip small chunks so the story mode stuff takes ages and is why I'm only writing it up now. It became an unholy chore, as much as I enjoyed the fighting. There are several more story modes focusing on each of the crossover franchises but I won't be going through them. 

In terms of the gameplay, then, it's very fast paced and I suspect the skill ceiling is pretty high. I'll never play enough to get anywhere or make any improvements, though, and in the few online games I managed, I frankly got whupped left, right and centre. I would get locked into these extremely long chains and then enter slo-mo and then get finished off by some absurd special. As of this morning, however, there isn't a single player in any of the ten online lobbies in Europe. I suspect DBFZ is the reason for that.

A fun, fast, chaotic fighting game which has just come at the wrong time for me, really, in that there's nobody playing it any more. I'll wheel it out for some couch multiplayer after a few beers with mates but because it's so complex and has so many systems, I suspect it won't go down as well as SF30AC or Garou or my next entry.

Dragonball FighterZ (Switch)

I think this is the best fighting game of the generation, in short. It's one of the easiest games to pick up in the genre but the skill ceiling is evidently insane. It's forgiving with its auto-combo systems and easy specials and ultras but it also rewards insane dexterity and timing with the manual combos and ludicrous strings you can link and loop. I could go into the tag team assists and piling on specials and ultras with teammates and the vanish move teleporting directly behind your opponent and the homing air dash and summoning Shenron and the rush move to open up turtling enemies but I can't do it all justice in this one post. In short, though, the range of offensive and defensive options is frankly ridiculous, and therein lies the beauty. We're talking layers and layers and layers of mind games.

It's also the best looking fighting game I've ever seen and one of the best looking games of the generation full stop. The way the specials and ultras and combos seamlessly flow into these anime setpieces and stylised framing and wild effects is just unbelievable. If you reflect an opponent's projectile it will sizzle off into the background and burn a hole in a roof. If you defeat your enemy with a heavy attack, you will send them crashing through rock formations in the scenery. If you finish them with an ultra, it might pan out to show the visual effect from space or something equally absurd. It's just a glorious super saiyan cacophony of over the top excitement and destruction. If it looks this good on the Switch, I'd love to see it on the One X. One of my games of the year, easily.

• Upvote 4

Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4)

Having already registered this in Abandoned Games and having moaned about it a couple of times, especially the repetitive driving section which seemed a direct lift from the repetitive Madagascar driving section from UC4, I did not expect to finish this one. While I was swept along by the previous game, with the brothers' touching and sometimes complex relationship resonating rather deeply, I didn't really enjoy any particular aspect of the gameplay. I mostly appreciated it from an aesthetic and atmospheric perspective, soaking up the details of the foliage and rocks and lighting and so on. I enjoyed the overall experience and I was a fan of the charming finale, and I went straight back in for the replay. And I was instantly bored. Without the pull of the narrative and the character development and the element of surprise, the seams were showing far too readily. I quickly and slightly sadly soured on the game.

I don't know why I bought this, really, but I felt I might be ready, and I'd heard rave reviews of the graphics and characters and that it was a really tight experience. I can't really argue with any of that but I'm not especially raving, either. It's once again a remarkable looking game, and sometimes surprisingly so. The opening section in India is quite an entrance, and the pink neon stands out as my strongest visual memory of the whole game. After that, however, it's a retread of UC4 environments. The muddy marshy driving. The glistening green foliage. The vehicular set pieces from across the series. The QTE fistfights. The crumbling environments. It's impressive and slick and well put together but I can't really remember any of it because it blurs into previous memories. It's a fine game and I definitely prefer the lower-key slowburn interaction of these characters but it's essentially more of the same, without the scope or ambition. 

• Upvote 3

14/10/2018 - Metro Last Light: Redux (PC)

Well I'm not sure what I made of this because there are plenty of little things in there that annoyed/frustrated me, yet by the same token I polished-off 20 of the 30 chapters just today - and it is rare that I spend that long on a game over a weekend, let alone a day, so it must've been doing something right.

The positives are that chapters were, generally, well-paced and not overlong, so it made me feel like I was making constant progress. The premise, too, was interesting and some of the locations were really haunting (the Dead City being the best at creating a 'mood'). The negatives were that weapons never really felt punchy or powerful (especially shotguns); enemies were bullet-sponges (there are some armoured guys who took 4 shotgun blasts to the head even after their helmets had come off), a lot of the locations felt too samey and one that is a particular bug-bear of mine was having a mute protagonist (despite the fact he voiced the missing briefings. This annoyed me far more than it should.)

Also, the requirements to get the 'good' ending are ridiculous (not that I was fussed about that).

Still, it did enough to make me play it a lot today so it wasn't all bad - though I was very close to giving up about 10 minutes after carrying on this morning due to awful signposting to get out of a room that locks all the doors behind you. I'm not sure I think it is a better game than the first one (though I have very faded memories of that) but I'm sure I preferred the story and set-up more in that.

Overall then, I guess it's...okay. Despite finishing it half an hour ago I can't think of a single set-piece I'd want to play again, not a single plot point/twist that engaged me and no weapons I'd want to digitally shoot again.

Certainly no Wolfenstein.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

01/10/18 - Lords of the Fallen (PC)

09/06/18 - Oxenfree (PC)

12/05/18 - Orwell (PC)

06/01/18 - Einar (PC)

• Upvote 3

Banner Saga - (PC)

A strong contender for the best graphics of all time and the soundtrack deserves a mention too, the two combined consistently giving me cold shivers down my spine.

And the game underneath all that polish is incredible too. The writing, very basic strategy layer and the meat and potatoes tactical combat don't just sit together, they're consistently feeding back in to each other and telling a story of attrition, loss, despair, terrible decisions with terrible consequences and very occasionally moments of hope and happiness.

I felt a bit wary of the combat system before I started playing based on what I'd heard about it. I thought the separate armour and strength bars, combined with your characters getting weaker as each battle goes on would lead to tedious, drawn out encounters - but it doesn't. Instead each battle is just the sweeping story of the Banner Saga told in miniature - desperate situations and tough calls, weariness, moment to moment victories that place you in increasingly precarious situations. There's a mechanic where you and the enemy always move a unit on alternating turns, which works out as the side with the fewest units is effectively getting extra turns for those fewer units. At first it's a headfuck, and hearing it described in reviews and podcasts when the game came out is what put me off trying it back then. In reality though it just amps up the tension and the drama, giving you a chance to stage incredible comebacks and making enemies their most dangerous when they're cornered.

The basic RPG systems work fine, you get two points to boost stats when you level up but because the meaning of the stats and how they relate to combat is communicated so clearly the choices are always interesting. The basic strategy works fine too - do you spend your Renown (XP basically) on levelling up your heroes or rations for your tribe? Do you rest to heal injuries at the cost of rations? The story is told mostly through choose you own adventure style sections which are pitch perfect in tone and written with spareness and economy - consistently making you regret rash decisions and twisting the knife even when you've made "good" ones.

It's just a superb game. Every part of it working in harmony to tell a gripping story.

2018 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Vanquish (360)

February:

Ghost Recon Shadow War (3DS)

March:

Super Metroid (SNES Mini)

Split Second (360)

April:

Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Wii U)

Metro Last Light (360)

May:

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (360)

July:

Castlevania (NES mini)

August:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES mini)

Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES via Wii U virtual console)

September:

Destiny 2 - year one campaigns (PC)

2017 list:

Spoiler

Steam World Heist

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Kane and Lynch 2

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 

Fire Emblem Echoes

Fire Emblem Awakenings

Forza Horizon

Metroid: Samus Returns

Nights Into Dreams

• Upvote 3

@matt0 I found the battle system pretty dull once you understood the key to everything was maiming, not killing, enemies. That balanced out the "I go, you go" turn order (which, if planned badly, would leave 1 or 2 full-health enemies who would get lots of turns to wreck your team). I also believed (but didn't test) that it actually made no difference whether 1 or 1000 of your caravan survived - there seemed to be no recognition of that at the end (I don't know if there is any carry forward impact in the sequels).

It sure did look beautiful though and created a real sense of mood and place - just a shame I didn't really enjoy the game elements too much.

44 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@matt0 I found the battle system pretty dull once you understood the key to everything was maiming, not killing, enemies. That balanced out the "I go, you go" turn order (which, if planned badly, would leave 1 or 2 full-health enemies who would get lots of turns to wreck your team). I also believed (but didn't test) that it actually made no difference whether 1 or 1000 of your caravan survived - there seemed to be no recognition of that at the end (I don't know if there is any carry forward impact in the sequels).

It sure did look beautiful though and created a real sense of mood and place - just a shame I didn't really enjoy the game elements too much.

They key for me with the combat is I could never get everything to go entirely my way - even when you have the tactics down, there was always a point where it felt like I might come off better by targeting some of the heavies or magic users and taking them out quickly at the risk of weakening myself too much. Also, the way your heroes specials all interact (like an attack that causes bleeding per square moved paired with another attack that pushes enemies away), balanced against the fact that I couldn't always manoeuvre myself to take full advantage of those abilities added a lot. The short game length probably helped too, what's there worked for me over 10 hours but wouldn't sustain a Tactics Ogre style 100+ hour epic.

With the caravan your survivors are carried over from game to game and apparently it has an effect in the third game that I didn't want to spoil for myself so I'll have to wait and see. I've got to admit it didn't even occur to me to question it, I tried my best to keep the caravan together but by the end of the game...

Spoiler

...I was holed up in the final city and I lost all my Varl and fighters defending against the dredge. I was down to just the clansmen when Hakon's caravan caught up with me and saved the day.

You occasionally get a chance to train clansmen in to fighters which gives you more options - I suspect if you lose your whole caravan it's game over. There's a feeling that if you pulled apart the game over multiple play-throughs you'd see just how predetermined things are, what matters and doesn't matter, and the magic might get lost.

15/10/2018 - What Remains of Edith Finch? (PC)

This is very nearly amazing but instead is merely brilliant.

I said above that Metro didn't really create a mood with an interesting premise - well this has mood in spades. Wandering around the puzzle-box house was a joy, even without the associated stories and it looked beautiful. I'll spoiler my thoughts just because this should be experienced cold by everybody.

Spoiler

I loved how foreboding everything was, how the house felt abandoned in a hurry, how there were all these little interconnecting rooms with secret passageways. It felt like both Edith and me were experiencing these things fresh at the same time. I liked how it mixed different styles without becoming 'gamey' - it was always press 'W' and the left mouse button every once in a while - but it kept things varied throughout.

The individual stories largely hit the spot, though unlike the general consensus in the thread I didn't really enjoy Lewis's tale (though I understood and appreciated the way it told it). Molly's was an interesting intro, Calvin's simple but effective (made by the narration), Gregory's the most innocent, Gus's made tragic by the 'I wish I could say I was thinking of you...' line - I could go on but I won't, suffice to say they all had something about them.

I thought the structure - filling out the family tree - was a neat way of presenting everything and tying it together.

The ending though was unsatisfying. Whilst I don't mind leaving some ambiguity for the player it would've been nice to have something to work with to help work it out - I don't think the 'Edie is bad theory' makes much sense, especially as she can't be involved with many (most?) of the deaths. I also think having Edith die was just lazy and didn't add anything. Milton's story apparently being covered in The Unfinished Swan (something I only knew from reading the thread) - a game not available on most of the platforms this was available on - was also unsatisfying, as there was nothing in his story here that gave any information other than 'he disappeared, lol'. I was mildly annoyed that Sanjay didn't get any mention, given that he died unusually young too - you'd think Edith might mention her dad, no?

I suppose this is, in a way, a testament to how good it was - that I want to know more, to have answers - but it could've been just a little bit better.

It was an experience I won't forget, certainly.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

14/10/18 - Metro Last Light: Redux (PC)

01/10/18 - Lords of the Fallen (PC)

09/06/18 - Oxenfree (PC)

12/05/18 - Orwell (PC)

06/01/18 - Einar (PC)

• Upvote 3

January

1. Darksiders 2 (The Deathinitive Edition) (2012/2015) PS4 - 15/01/2018 (Normal Difficulty)

2. DLC Darksiders 2: Argul's Tomb - The Abyssal Forge - The Demon Lord Belial [DLC Expansion Missions] - 18/01/2018

3. Uncanny Valley - (2015/2017) PS4 - 24/01/2018 (100% Trophy Achievements)

4. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (2015/16) PS4 28/01/2018 (One of the True Endings with Takura Tsurugi)

February

5. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (2015) PS3 - 16/02/2018

March

6. Grand Kingdom (2015/16) PS4 - 19/03/2018 (Main Campaign)

7. Mighty No. 9 (2016) PS4 - 28/03/2018 (Normal Playthrough)

April

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016) PS4 16/04/2018 (Main Campaign - Normal Difficulty)

9. Ratchet & Clank (2016) PS4 28/04/2018 (Normal Difficulty)

May

10. Super Metroid (1994) SNES (mini) 01/05/2018 (83% completion rate)

11. Super Contra III (1992) SNES (mini) 10/05/2018 (Easy & Normal)

12. Batman (Season 1) - Telltale Games (2016) PS4 - 17/05/2018

13. King Oddball (2014) PS4 - 10Tons 28/05/2018 (Main Game Stages)

June

14. Grand Kingdom (2015/16) PS4 - 12/06/2018 (Landerth Campaign)

September

15. Final Fantasy XII : Zodiac Age (2006/2017) PS4 - 24/09/2018 

October 

16. Another World (1991/2011/14) PS4 - 02/10/2018

After a long stint on FFXII it feels good to return to some shorter games with this being the first one I've ticked off. Another World, originally released in 1991 was remastered for ios with the ability to switch between original and polished graphical aesthetic before eventually getting ported to the PS4 in 2014. Despite owning an ST back in the day, I'm pretty sure I never got the chance to play this but I do remember the name. It's possible my uncle owned this but not me as I just cannot remember playing it. 

Another World was a short but sweet adventure which made me smile, mainly because it just looks great for the time and introduces many little things which keep it fresh and keep you pondering how to get to the next section. Just like many similar style affairs such as Abe's Odyssey or Heart of Darkness, you're constantly figuring out how to make it onward without getting destroyed. Occasionally, the checkpoints can feel a little distant, but most often it's a simple of case of getting back into the action from where you left off once you fail, and fail you will, over and over. I personally played it with no idea of what to expect going into it, and that is what made it feel great as I slowly learned the controls as I went along purely by accident on some occasions. It doesn't get boring as new ideas are always being thrown at you in terms of how to progress, and this keeps it challenging. There were a few moments that seemed impossible only to realise it was something less intuitive like run but don't attempt to jump at any stage and all those lasers flying past won't kill you. The bit with the grenades and the floor explosion was another less obvious moment. 

It took about 4 hours, but I got through without referring to any guides in the end, which I felt was quite surprising as being a true old skool title, I thought it was going to end up much tougher that it was. I do love though that no matter how helpless the situation can seem, there's always an easy solution to get past. It's about trial and error and playing in different ways and trying new things. I'd played Flashback on the SNES before, but never this and it looks and plays great. I'll tell you what I didn't like though... the new graphical overhaul, which is just as well that they easily allow you to switch it backwards and forwards with the touch of a single button. Granted, some of the screens do add a few nice touches to detail, but a lot of it just felt jarring in a way that reminded me of cheap flash games. There are some areas which outright miss details that are in the original pixelated look and as a result feel emptier, or feel like a bunch of bland shapes. I also kept the whole sound on original too as I wanted that lo-fi sound which matches the original look. 

Overall this is one of those classic works of art from the past which you just have to appreciate and is perfectly playable to this day, translating very well to the PS4 and its controller. It isn't long but what it does, it does well and has great atmosphere. Definitely recommend. 

8/10

17. Beyond Two Souls (2013) PS4 - 15/10/2018

I've only ever played Farenheit of all David Cage's games to date, and whilst some have been quite negative about this particular title, I actually thought it was quite good, but took me a while to get into but picks up as it goes along. I wasn't quite sure whether I liked the chronology or not in terms of the way the original mode plays through its scenes, but realised that it must have been done this way which becomes clear in a particular scene right at the end of the game

The scene where Jodie is piecing together memories onto paper just to keep them alive because they are fading from her. I'm pretty sure this is the idea behind the whole mixed up scene approach

Initially I was irritated by a lot of the interactive actions scenes as a lot felt difficult to gauge in the tiny window of opportunity as to just what direction you're supposed to press in order to miss getting battered about. Later though I changed my mind on this, as it makes it more about instant intuition and forces you to think quickly, but makes it less predictable and adds more of a challenge than just telling you what to do each time like all other quick time events. In the end, there's never a wrong decision and the scene will carry on regardless, but by forcing you to act on purely what's going on adds to the adrenaline rush. 

It isn't too long or too short and at a guess I'm going to say probably took me between 12-15 hours or so to finish. I was also quite satisfied with how it ended and felt there were quite a few interesting moments toward the final sections. There are moments where it feels like you're slowed down and forced to do mundane tasks such as cooking, but parts like the infiltration op in Africa played out quite interestingly. Of course there are some moments which also make you think, why not just do it this way, but the game forces you to do something else. I'm referring to the abilities Aiden has, such as only being able to float through a door, when he can technically float through any object, or why can't I just possess this person to get past and only do it for specific people. It is a game though, and that would make the whole experience boring, so I can understand why there are some restrictions in place, but I can guarantee other people are thinking the same thing. For me though I enjoyed it. 

8/10

• Upvote 4

Sisters Royale (Switch)

This indie 'cute em up' is only available on the Japanese eShop at the moment and I doubt it'll ever make its way to the EU store. It combines somewhat gross visual novel character designs, corsets and the ubiquitous monocles, brief dialogue (no idea what it's about, some shite about love rivals) and scrolling vertical shooting with a chain combo scoring system which I haven't quite figured out because it's all in Japanese. It plays well enough, if unspectacularly, and it has that Clash Royale/Fortnite/Sea of Thieves kind of pseudo-clay aesthetic which is fucking everywhere these days, with different characters offering surprisingly varied weaponry and requiring slightly different approaches. It's a consistent presentation nevertheless, and the scenes between stages have a Puyo Puyo Tetris level of polish and a not dissimilar tone. It's just not very exciting, though, unfortunately. I played through it with each character and while boss fights present a stiff challenge at times, the actual stages are pretty uninspired. It's pretty cheap, and if you're a bit of a perv and quite like shmups you'll be laughing for an hour or so. If it ever does make it West, they can have that tagline for nothing. 

• Upvote 2

18/10 - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4) - I've never watched the Fist of the North Star anime, and to be honest I only purchased this because it was made by Sega's Yakuza team. Quite simply it's Fist of the North Star Yakuza and it's brilliant. Exploding heads never gets old.

Previously:

01. 13/01 - Uncharted 4 (PS4)

02. 18/01 - Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Remastered (PS4)
03. 20/01 - Forza Motorsport 7 (Xbox One)
04. 27/01 - Need for Speed: Payback (Xbox One) 
05. 28/01 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (PS4)
06. 08/02 - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Xbox One)
07. 13/02 - Need for Speed (2015) (Xbox One)
08. 18/02 - Bastion (Xbox One)
09. 19/02 - Refunct (Xbox One)
10. 20/02 - The Crew (Xbox One)
11. 25/02 - Mystik Belle (Xbox One)
12. 25/02 - Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island (Xbox One)
13. 27/02 - Spec Ops: The Line (Xbox 360)
14. 03/03 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered (PS4)
15. 08/03 - Voodoo Vince: Remastered (Xbox One)
16. 15/03 - Steamworld Dig (Xbox One)
17. 20/03 - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
18. 10/04 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
19. 11/04 - Sonic Forces (Xbox One)
20. 12/04 - ABZU (Xbox One)
21. 24/04 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
22. 25/04 - What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
23. 01/05 - Gone Home: Console Edition (Xbox One)
24. 06/05 - God of War (PS4)
25. 09/05 - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Xbox One)
26. 12/08 - The Crew 2 (Xbox One)
27. 18/08 - Vostok Inc. (Xbox One) 
28. 20/08 - Life is Strange (Xbox One)
29. 22/08 - Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One)
30. 06/09 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
31. 19/09 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

• Upvote 2

A slightly belated update:

07/10 - Wipeout HD / Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4 / PSVR) - Having gradually chipped away at this for months the VR update proved a revelation in terms of playability and control. I always struggled in the higher speed classes but VR actually makes them perfectly playable, so much so I was easily beating all previous leaderboard times and elite golding a number of events I'd previously never dreamed possible... resulting in me actually completing the thing for the first time ever.

The VR update is without a doubt one of my landmark gaming moments from the past few years.. having been there day 1 for the original Wipeout PS1 release, to experience just how far things have come has felt a real privilege. I recommend that anyone who has the means to try it do so ASAP.

As usual all of my Wipeout photos (from the non-VR version) can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWK2QM3

Previously:

Spoiler

01/01 - Doki Doki Literature Club (PC) 

05/02 - Celeste (Switch) 

24/02 - Assassins Creed Origins (PS4) 

28/02 - Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

09/03 - Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4) 

17/03 - Life is Strange Season 1 (PS4)

24/03 - Assassins Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4)

08/04 - The Lost Bear (PSVR) 

13/04 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4) 

23/06 - Onrush (PS4)

25/06 - God of War (PS4)

27/06 - The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4)

12/07 - Far Cry 5 (PS4)

29/08 - Assassins Creed Origins: Curse of the Pharaoh's DLC (PS4)

27/09 - Spiderman (PS4)

• Upvote 4