Great games you almost gave up on

I was thinking about this after playing Assassin's Creed Origins over the last few days. At first it didn't grab me at all but after persevering with it I'm now really enjoying it. Had I not bought it digitally then it would have been sold on within a few days I'd imagine. It got me thinking about other games I'm glad I stuck with.

The Witcher 3 - At first I didn't like it and felt that it lost something that made the Witcher 2 great when it moved to the open world setting. Like Assassin's Creed though I thought I best give it more time after buying it digitally and it'd now be in my top 5 games of all time. 

Mass Effect 2 - More a franchise I nearly gave up on rather than a game. The first Mass Effect didn't do anything for more. It felt too janky and the gameplay frustrated me. I can't remember now why I gave the second game a go but I'm so glad I did. There were some massive improvements to the gameplay and the core mechanics and I ended up playing the game on all three formats multi times with male and female Shepards. 

Gran Turismo 5 - This game was so inconsistent but there was something special about it that kept me going back. For all it's faults tearing around the Nurburgring never felt better. 

Bayonetta.

I played it initially and thought it was alright but it didn't really grab me. Then in 2012 I gave it another go one friday evening and it sunk its hooks into me. I played right through until Sunday night. It was the first game in a long time that had got me like that, and now I'm a huge fan. It was Bayonetta 2 that I got a Wii U for.

Just Cause 2 - dismissed the demo as an uncontrollable mess, ended up with over 100h on the game when my son told me to stick with it. Shame the 3rd one was a but pish.

Mass Effect 2 - always dismissed that as a nerdy RPG and didn't give it a glance til almost a year after it came out.

The latest Hitman... tried 3 or 4 times to get into it but could never devote enough time to actually learning the levels. 

Having revisited it over the Xmas break I'm now totally addicted and trying to platinum the whole thing. The replay value is absolutely insane and the episodic nature of its release makes perfect senses.

Easily the best Hitman since Blood Money.. roll on Season 2.

Dark Souls for me too, and Demon's Souls. I first bought DeS because everyone was raving about it. Got a good way in, but I was forcing myself through the game rather than enjoying it, learning it, or getting better. Later I bought DaS and tried a bunch of times to like it. But it didn't grab me, it was too hard, it was a slog. Then I watched Vinny of GB fame play the game on Save our Souls (iirc) and I discovered I was taking the Souls games way too seriously. I knew all  about their reputation going in. I imagined these bastard hard, über-hardcore, 1337 games - and I think I let that subconsciously get to me. Vinny showed me you could actually go and have fun, just wade in and it would be fine. Maybe not right away, but eventually. So years after buying it, I gave DaS another shot. This time with an open mind. I grabbed the first big axe I could find and went all in. And it clicked! It finally clicked. And it clicked hard. I finished the 360 version a bunch of times, then bought the PC version and played that all the way through a bunch of times again. I still fire it up regularly, and in the recent top 100 games of all time poll here on rllmuk, Dark Souls was number one on my list. My favourite game of all time and I almost gave up on it.

Oh and after DaS clicked I went back to DeS and finished that too and loved it almost just as much. Still my two favourite Souls games to this day. :)

I'm hoping I will have the same experience with BotW. Bought the Wii U version and it never grabbed me. The world didn't grab me and eventually I drifted away from the game. Bought the Switch version, played almost all the way through the great plateau bit and just couldn't be arsed anymore. I've put it aside for now and will return to it once I've cleared all the absolute must-plays from my 2017 backlog. It was a great year!

Final Fantasy XII. I did play it before Zodiac Age came out, but only after months of it gathering dust on a shelf because the gameplay was too far out of my comfort zone. I was so used to FF games being all about turn-based battles and combat options that don't go beyond attack/magic/item/flee - but XII's gambits and licenses were scary things to me - heck, even the experience of "seamless" battles was kind of new - battles where you didn't watch the screen spiral and fade out whilst the battle engine loaded. Eventually, however, I set some time aside where I wouldn't be distracted by anything else, tried to pay attention to the basics (I sometimes feel like I have to play games with a pen and pad beside me because I'm inattentive as anything) and embraced the new scariness rather than rejecting it. It turns out that gambits, licences and seamless battles aren't scary at all, and in fact they made progression in the game hugely satisfying. And when I say I played it before Zodiac Age... I finished the PS2 game less than a month before that ZA teaser trailer was released in June '16, so the timing was perfect. :) 

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All

And not just for crimes against title brevity. I loved the first game in the series, and I went into the second with a great deal of enthusiasm... which was deflated by a slow opening, which seemed determined to treat the player as though they hadn't played a game of its ilk before. I lost momentum and put the game down for several years, only returning to it when I was visiting family and looking for something to play on my DS.

And boy was I glad to. The first game was great, but Justice for All is a triumph, with a truly memorable climax. And, of course, leads onto the equally brilliant third game in the series, rounding off the trilogy perfectly. I'm so glad I went back to this and got past its slow start.

(Interestingly, I did the exact same thing with Ghost Trick, which is equally brilliant and equally afflicted with a slow start, which suggests to me that perhaps that Shu Takumi, their shared director, is the source of both their strengths and their weak openings)

PGR3. I know it's not a "sim", but it was still not arcadey enough for me. I bought it along with my 360 (slim pickin's on launch day), and traded it quick while it was still worth close to full price.

A couple of years later, that single 10g achievement on my gamercard was bugging me so I bought it again for peanuts and forced myself to persevere. Bloody glad I did, amazing game, and PGR4 weren't bad either.

Yakuza 0...

Getting over the initial part was pretty tough - especially as I stupidly thought it had to have auto-saved somewhere in the mix. Which of course it didn't. 

Replaying it with that knowledge meant I became thoroughly absorbed by it all, and absolutely loved it.

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

Yakuza 0...

Getting over the initial part was pretty tough - especially as I stupidly thought it had to have auto-saved somewhere in the mix. Which of course it didn't. 

Replaying it with that knowledge meant I became thoroughly absorbed by it all, and absolutely loved it.

Snap, some parts are crazy dated - but it more than makes up for it and has a strange janky charm.

Deus Ex Human Revolution. Bought on day one for full price as on paper it's the kind of game I should really like. Completely put off by the poor framerate on last gen consoles, the stiff combat, the bizarre chocolate bar melee system, strange control setup, hacking that seemed overly complicated for starters.

Got it for christmas later that year (2011?) and started fresh over the xmas break and it completely took over, incredible game, once you've got the hang of it.

Also GOAT title screen.

Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) - While absolutely stunning to look at I wasn't exactly blown away by the controls or punishing difficulty, to say the least. I thought a lot of the environmental traps were cheap as they blended with the backgrounds way too much and I also wasn't a fan of the floaty platforming mechanics. I honestly didn't enjoy the game at all and playing it felt like a chore every time. I told myself I was just going to rush through it so I could at least say to have beaten it.

However after overcoming that first difficultly spike, and the second escape sequence not too long thereafter, I did a complete 180 on it! As once you acquire more health points, save points and abilities the act of simply traversing the environment and exploring becomes far less risky and thus a lot more fun. Whereas at first I couldn't wait for it to end I now find myself exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of reaching a 100% completion rate! So yeah in the end Ori completely won me over and it turned out to be an amazing game; one I'm glad I stuck with. :)

I bought Fable 2 on release and hated it, probably because the Molyneux promises were still fresh in my mind. I bought it again when it came out on Xbox Classics and absolutely loved it. 

Also The Last of Us. My brother had been telling me for years that it was one of the best games ever. I bought it for PS4 and didn't really click with it until quite late in the game 

Spoiler

The giraffes! They brought tears to my eyes.

After that I played straight through it again with the view that yes, it is one of the best games ever made.

14 hours ago, Sir DangerM said:

Probably Bloodborne. I'd never played a Souls game before and it took me several hours of painful grinding until I figured out how the game was supposed to be played. Once it clicked there was no stopping, but I very nearly traded it in before I got there.

I've had this since release day and after spending 3 or 4 hours (honestly) dying on the first section I gave up. I usually sell games quickly once completed/finished with but I've kept this for ages thinking that I must go back to it. 

Yet the thought of doing that again, and knowing I'll likely have to try similar sections for hours before getting through them makes me think I should just get rid! 

@Muz

Those first couple of hours in Bloodborne are the hardest, and although you will undoubtedly have some areas you end up finding difficult, you'll have momentum by then. It's also obviously easier when you can level up because even if you don't reach the boss, you can just run to collect your souls/echoes and then pump them into HP or whatever.

On that note, I wonder if you reached that first boss? You can't start levelling up until you have 1 insight, which you get for seeing the boss. It's worth sprinting through the area to unlock the shortcuts, encounter the boss and die, just to get you started on levelling up. Without 'backseat driving', I'd recommend you put a few levels into your health bar and stamina and you'll find it exponentially easier.

It's a baptism of fire, deliberately so, but once you break the back of that first bit, you're on your way. Oh, and remember you can just fuckin leg it past everything without fighting any enemies! 

I have given up on Bloodborne.  I've never played any of the Dark Souls games, so I went into it not knowing what to expect, but found it very frustrating, so it's uninstalled and back on the shelf.

Skyrim I didn't like at first, but now it's in my all-time top 3.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

This is my favourite ever game, and yet I tried and failed to get into it multiple times. 

My sister did a gap yah in Thailand, so I went to visit her. This was back in 2001 when you could buy silvers (mass produced pirate copies of Playstation games) for around £0.40 each. So I purchased several games, one of which was Castlevania Symphony of the Night. It was long out of print in the UK by then and seeing as I'd heard good things despite never having played any games in the series I purchased a copy.

I must have played through the intro and got to the first save point, thought this was nothing special and went off and played something else at least four times, when in the Summer of 2003 I persevered, continued a bit further, made it to the first boss, and I was hooked. Best game ever!

Piracy is bad by the way. So I purchased a brand new copy of the Greatest Hits re-release when Konami did a reprint in the US a year or so later, so I'm not a complete knock off Nige :)

This goes back a bit but there are a few games I horribly misunderstood when I bought them new purely on reputation and didn't really appreciate the genre.

Super Smash Bros Melee

I never played the 64 version, I'd either been playing PC games or just not gaming at all for a good few years. I bought a Gamecube after fancying Mario Sunshine post Mario 64 binge in 2002. Everyone I knew with a Gamecube had Smash so I bought it and just thought it was some shit party game. Was used to Street Fighter and Fighters Megamix and wondered where my combos and health bars were.

Years later it took a persistent group of mates to explain all the concepts and play for days on end before Brawl came out for me to get it. And now I love Smash. Only with a Gamecube controller.

Metal Gear Solid 2

I played the original and enjoyed it for the most part, didn't complete it or paid any attention to the story. As a teenager I made a point of skipping all cutscenes because who cares about stories in games, just let me at the levels. With MGS that made things a bit difficult but with MGS2 it was almost impossible. Why wasn't I Snake, why was the Colonel boring, why won't Rose stop calling, I keep hanging up.

I quit on the series then and didn't come back to it until uni when I'd actually started paying attention to story driven games and giving new mechanics a chance to develop in front of me. A mate saw I had all the MGS games (he hadn't played 3, I barely played played the first mission cos I couldn't be arsed) so we started from Twin Snakes and powered through all 3 in a week. And what a week that was, seeing it all back to back made me appreciate the series and it's evolution to the point I was day one for MGS4.

Resident Evil 4

"why isn't this like Resident Evil 2, why are the controls weird, why am I in Spain?"

I dropped this for maybe a year while everyone raved about it and eventually I gave it a proper go one bored afternoon, forgetting it was a Resident Evil game and just embracing everything about it. Boy did I embrace it, still one of my favourite games of all time. Only with a Gamecube controller.