rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

I, Tonya

I thought this was fantastic. True story of the white trash ice skater who may or may not have had one of her rivals kneecapped. 

Directed in a style reminiscent of mid career Scorcese, with a cherry picked soundtrack and a genuine tour de force performance from Margot Robbie. The absolute star of the show though is Allison Janney as Robbie's unforgiving mother. Janney is one of the best actors in the world and it's criminal that she doesn't get the recognition of her male peers.

Highly recommended

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Nice, I’m not going to watch the trailer because from that description alone I’m all over it.

Definitely watch the trailer after you’ve seen it though, it’s a cracker. 

Looks brilliant. 

Saw this at DIFF. Really enjoyed it for the most part, and agree with Robbie and Janey’s performances being outstanding. Thought the runtime was maybe 15 minutes too long, and some of the song choices are a bit on the nose but no song is around long before the next one is cued in so not a major weakness.

Plus ‘Gloria’ bring belted out in Dubly is always a treat.

Well, that was wonderful. After watching I've since spent the evening in a deep YouTube hole viewing ladies skating competitions from the early 90's. I had no idea there was so much drama going on, but it all makes perfect sense when you watch the bits before and after the performances and see how these teenagers behaved. I think I'm hooked.

I loved this but massively preferred everything pre-incident. I knew nothing of this story and actually found that part the least interesting, despite the inclusion of some funny characters and skillful directing. The stuff early on with her mother was truly brilliant i thought - their relationship by far the best thing in the film. 

I was waiting to see what music choice they'd pick for the credits after they turned down Sufjan Stevens' predictably beautiful dedication to Tonya he submitted for use in the film.

You can just imagine it taking a more poignant bittersweet direction for its ending. I think if the film reduced the incident to the interviews like they were doing, and perhaps just showed the reaction through the media rather than depicting how generic it actually was, and focussed more on mother daughter relationship, cut down on the Scorcese-isms when it came to overly relentless abusive husband and gangstering it could have been special. 

• Upvote 1

Thought this was great. I was living in America back when this happened so it's a story that's always really stuck in my mind.

So many great performances, but my favourite had to be the "bodyguard" with his anti terrorism expertise. 

I've just watched this and I'm a bit conflicted. It's fantastic film making, great soundtrack, editing, acting, really fucking good. However making light of domestic violence and emotional and physical abuse is a bit on the nose, but it is a fantastic bit of film. Conflicted.

Edit: I must say the video of her at the end where she actually does the triple is incredible, really got me in the feels.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Minion said:

Edit: I must say the video of her at the end where she ------------------------ is incredible, really got me in the feels.

spoilers

14 minutes ago, Capwn said:

spoilers

It's the same video as posted up thread, not really sure how that's a spoiler.

Edit - if it's the triple thing then you do realise this actually happened and everyone knows that? It's not even treated as a mystery in the film. And it's in the video above!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Edit - if it's the triple thing then you do realise this actually happened and everyone knows that? It's not even treated as a mystery in the film. And it's in the video above!

Yes that, I had no idea about the story. 

I've seen a documentary on this (ESPNs 30 for 30: The Price of Gold ) which told the story of the actual incident differently

pretty sure there was confusion over how Nancy was injured as they were both in the corridor with a bunch of other people?

Not sure how I feel about that. Didn’t ever get over attempt to make Margot Robbie pass as a 15 year old

for a story about abuse the humour often felt out of place and over used. Alison Janney was better in pretty much everything else, even 10 Things I Hate About You

technically superb tho, loved the skating and general cinematography 

I enjoyed a fair bit of the movie in isolation  but by the end I felt curiously cold towards it. The frenetic, jumpy pace worked well during the movie's lighter moments but it also served to distance me from building much emotional connection towards the events, and I actually found everything to do with the crime itself really boring.

In the end I wasn't really sure what the movie wanted us to feel for Tonya. She is by all accounts a rather tragic figure but ultimately I just got the impression the movie treated her as a rather silly and tragic punchline as it encouraged us to laugh at sustained domestic abuse from several parties. The only moment that felt really genuine to me was Tonya pleading her case not to be banned from competition. A curious one given I could still claim to have enjoyed 75% of the movie. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I enjoyed a fair bit of the movie in isolation  but by the end I felt curiously cold towards it. The frenetic, jumpy pace worked well during the movie's lighter moments but it also served to distance me from building much emotional connection towards the events, and I actually found everything to do with the crime itself really boring.

In the end I wasn't really sure what the movie wanted us to feel for Tonya. She is by all accounts a rather tragic figure but ultimately I just got the impression the movie treated her as a rather silly and tragic punchline as it encouraged us to laugh at sustained domestic abuse from several parties. The only moment that felt really genuine to me was Tonya pleading her case not to be banned from competition. A curious one given I could still claim to have enjoyed 75% of the movie. 

That was the biggest fail for me too - can see what they were going for but it really didnt work

Finally managed to catch this (it’s free on Prime at the moment) and loved it, what a great movie! Exquisitely shot as well.

• Upvote 1

I saw it too and didn't really like it.

The performances and everything are strong, but it's basically 90 minutes of emotional and physical abuse that ends on a real downer, the film attempts to lighten the tone with upbeat musical cues and some comedy, but neither are really enough to shift the air of grimness hanging over the whole thing.

7 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I saw it too and didn't really like it.

The performances and everything are strong, but it's basically 90 minutes of emotional and physical abuse that ends on a real downer, the film attempts to lighten the tone with upbeat musical cues and some comedy, but neither are really enough to shift the air of grimness hanging over the whole thing.

Well yes - it’s a grim story about the general unfairness of life. The only real ray of light, if it’s even that, is Tonya’s ability to keep struggling on throughout. Of course it’s debatable how much is true anyway, but I don’t think you could alter the mood and have any real veracity. The Olympics glam/grotesque makeup scene is just delicious as a summation of the film’s ‘message’ around this, and it’s no surprise they use that as the film’s thumbnail image.

The skating is the counterpoint to the misery, which is exhilarating throughout. That it serves to further compound the misery is the grim irony of the tale.

But as I said, I loved it - on the other hand I can totally see someone coming away from it wishing they’d not spent time in that world. 

Incidentally I watched Mallrats yesterday as well - they make decent companion pieces! ^_^