If you could bring back any TV series from the dead?

7 hours ago, Diggity said:

Lost.  It might have went out with a bit of a damp squib, but nothing has recreated that cant wait for the next episode wonder of those early seasons.

The wait to find out what was down that hatch was a nightmare.

I've heard Rian Johnson could be making a pitch.

I'd love Quantum Leap to have continued, even though I really did like the way they finished it. That last season, have Sam being involved with 'real' people gave the show a different dimension to it. Not enough to save it from the axe, natch.

Another that ended too soon - Happy Endings. I did initially prefer New Girl until they decided to hook Nick and Jess up (sigh) but Happy Endings is far better on repeated viewings. The cast were all brilliant, it was sharp, funny and had a real warmth to it. It was a great ensemble comedy.

Fantasy Football League - recreating the BBC2 era, not when they moved to ITV (a channel which makes everything worse). The show changed a lot, moving further away from caring about the actual league as the weeks went on, but it became a great football-related comedy show. Some of the skits were hilarious and even now make me laugh. It's horribly dated though (episodes are on YouTube, of course) and would probably just seem wrong in this day and age but it was great once.

I'd be keen to see a Quantum Leap reboot, but Gabe already mentioned it, so I'll go for a Sliders reboot instead. The original show wasn't brilliant, but the notion of alternative realities provides endless storytelling opportunities, particularly if they can spend several episodes exploring more complex and darker storylines.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

They shouldn't bring these back unless they can justify them from an artistic point of view:

Fawlty Towers

Early Doors

Father Ted

Phoenix Nights

But I insist they bring back Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge.  

All great but Early Doors will always have a special place in my heart. Loved that show more than Inunderstand why.

1 hour ago, clippa said:

Did you not find that to be totally pointless? Blue jam was so perfect, the sketches they filmed for jam were never as good, they always seemed to leave out the best, subtler bits. Worked a lot better on radio I think.

I came across Jam first on TV before coming across the radio show years later :( I thought the TV show did a lot of interesting things visually, like every scene had it's own style. I feel like there is still nothing quite like it. Anyway, a return of either format would be amazing.

btw some great suggestions here.

Quantum Leap - I could totally see this working today, if it tackled today's world and politics. Could be quite edgy and controversial, as well as going more deeper into the lore of it. I can't remember if the original ever spent any time actually explaining where all these abilities came from and Ziggy's world etc?

Most 'classic' comedies like Falwty towers, dads army and father ted etc just wouldn't work. They had irreplaceable actors and were a case of right time, right place. Maybe I've just been burnt by the horrendous BBC remakes these last few years of OnlyFools/OpenAllHours/Porridge etc

Knowing me, Knowing you with Alan Partridge could actually be really interesting as Chat Shows have evolved quite a lot since the show ended. I imagine if they did it now they could have a lot of fun with 'green rooms', audience participation, reality stars, real people taking part in challenges etc. Sort of like Graham Norton show mixed with Ant N Decs takeaway but fully scripted with actors (even the audience).  

anigif_original-27290-1401146303-7.gif

Knightmare! 

I'm not at all nostalgic, I just think there's shit loads left to do with the premise. 

Some sort of VR show where you observe whilst a team plays (and maybe set up puzzles and traps?) would be insanely good. It was the daft acting and Treguard that made it so good, so it should be a show rather than just a video game. 

19 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, my vote is for a US comedy drama series called ED.

But I don’t want any new episodes, just for someone with sense to sort out the legal wrangling about the damn soundtrack so I can see it all again, as it’s one of the most charming pieces of TV I’ve seen.

me too

ED was fantastic. New ones would be great but I'd settle for the whole thing to come out on bluray or come to netflix. There's a hooky copy floating around the internet but it's just someones recorded video tapes .

Id love to see Tour of Duty back either in Vietnam or maybe Afghanistan. Id set it to tape wednesdays at 3am and pretty much my inspiration for wanting to join the military. It had Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones as the theme tune.

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'd love Quantum Leap to have continued, even though I really did like the way they finished it. That last season, have Sam being involved with 'real' people gave the show a different dimension to it. Not enough to save it from the axe, natch.

I was reading this thread just now and thought, Quantum Leap. Given the budgets available to Netflix et al now, it would be utterly awesome.

In a fantasy cast, I'd have Adrian Passdar as Sam and Danny De Vito as Al and I'd keep that fantastic format of having a single episode as a standalone episode - no cliff hangers, no over-arching story beyond what the original was about -  being stuck and needing to find a way out of the loop. It could be educational too giving insights into lesser known but important historical events but knowing modern TV, it'd be nothing like that. That's why my first reaction was that great TV shows are of a time and when they're remade, they're not as good. TV companies would ruin shows like Quantum Leap.

27 minutes ago, McFly said:

Id love to see Tour of Duty back either in Vietnam or maybe Afghanistan. Id set it to tape wednesdays at 3am and pretty much my inspiration for wanting to join the military. It had Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones as the theme tune.

Me and my friend used to tape that and watch it back in the olden days - we both did it just in case our VCRs messed up as they were a bit unpredictable. We also taped the NWA wrestling that was on either before or after it - that was the best wrestling on at the time in my view as it wasn't like the story driven stuff on WWF - it was just wrestling. Then, a few years later, those wrestlers started appearing on WWF as Undertaker characters.