IGNORED

Sicario 2: Soldado

Nick R

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. No rules!! Things are apparently going to get... dirty. And loose.

What was the point of Del Toro using his other hand to pull the trigger? Wait, I remember. No rules!!

According to reddit it's a technique called bumping or something like that which gives a similar action to an automatic weapon. Not a time crisis reference :-(

14 hours ago, Capwn said:

Something is super off about this isn't it? The first one felt so polished, this looks like straight to video. Fair enough for a shitty blockbuster but SICARIO?!

Yeah it looks like a cash in on the success of the first except this time it's pure Hollywood baby!

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

Something is super off about this isn't it? The first one felt so polished, this looks like straight to video. Fair enough for a shitty blockbuster but SICARIO?!

Different director (this guy comes from the Italian TV) and more critically for what you are talking about, no Roger Deakins. 

Sicario had a 30m budget and didn't make back a fortune (84m) so expect a similar outlay for this. The cinematographer Dariusz Wolski worked on The Martian. Okay, and Prometheus and Alien: Covenant but as bad as those films are, their look is the least of their problems.

Following up a film without arguably the most in-form director on the planet and one of the greatest living DOPs is an ask but quietly confident this will be alright with Taylor Sheridan still on writing duties (if you've not seen Hell or High Water, do so). Anyway, trailer looks fine, good talent attached. Surprised there's even a follow-up but will be happy to get a decent thriller, which is more than can be reasonably expected after such a brilliantly taut first film.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I'm not seeing the dtv comparisons either.

Losing villenueve is a shame but, as said, same writer. Agreed on H&HW btw.

Such a brilliant film. Love the sparse style; simple story, impeccably acted. One of the year’s best.

• 2 months later...

Don't like the look of what this has become now - seems a fairly spoiler heavy trailer in terms of plot and where the characters go . I liked the ambiguity in the first movie. This one looks more like a one man against the world/we made a mistake, now it’s time to erase that mistake.

I think it'll be fine. The fact that Taylor Sheridan wrote is means it'll have a script better than most of the absolute pump coming out at the minute and will probably go to places the trailer doesn't allude to.

That said, the editing of the woman speaking at 1:24 is cut terribly. Work experience kid needs firing for that one 

On 3/20/2018 at 19:44, Down by Law said:

I think it'll be fine. The fact that Taylor Sheridan wrote is means it'll have a script better than most of the absolute pump coming out at the minute and will probably go to places the trailer doesn't allude to.

That said, the editing of the woman speaking at 1:24 is cut terribly. Work experience kid needs firing for that one 

My only fear is that Taylor Sheridan had years to work on Sicario, HoHW and WR. This is his first writing to deadline and budget. I hope to god he can deliver on those terms, because I love his stuff, but it's unproven yet.

Remember Oasis's third album? I don't. And i'm in one of the videos.

• 3 months later...

Anyone seen this yet? Seems to be getting mostly decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. It feels like the kind of adult thriller that we only see in cinemas once a year these days so I feel I ought to make the effort. 

36 minutes ago, Pob said:

Anyone seen this yet? Seems to be getting mostly decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. It feels like the kind of adult thriller that we only see in cinemas once a year these days so I feel I ought to make the effort. 

It's not showing at my local till Saturday but I'll probably check it out then as I haven't been to the cinema in a while.

I'm not going to watch the trailer if it's spoilery, so on some level I really want to see it, but I am deeply suspicious of it. Sicario was brilliant brilliant brilliant, but it doesn't need a sequel, its murky mystery was a big part of its charm, and too many of its finest ingredients are missing here. Plus a brief look at Sheridan's original script show he was saved from himself when it comes to exposition and over-explaining. So I am worried...

Everything I've read about it says it does a very good job of picking up and continuing a story that really didn't need to be told before losing it's way in the 3rd act and stripping some characters - I assume Brolin and Del Toro, given they're our returning characters - of their ambiguity, becoming a more conventional "goodies vs baddies" flick, which is a shame.

There's also been some chat that the opening is pure unadulterated MAGA fuel.