joffocakes

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - May 2018

For which platform will you buy this collection?  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/05/2018 at 11:28, Down by Law said:

Last game I had from them at launch was Yakuza Kiwami and it came on the Saturday rather than the Tuesday

The ambiguity in this post is really bugging me.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

*cough* *cough*

Hide contents

You bloody better not be using wifi :quote:

Good point actually, the thought of going up against wifi players on Switch's Online Nintendo Network(tm) all the time would be reason enough for me to buy any of the of the other versions first if I wasn't already set on the PS4 one. I hadn't even considered the wifi on Switch issue!

18 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Probably for the best since Nate quits if he gets sent to the back of a lobby of five folk or more.

lol, had a great time with Nate when he came to ours for that Edge my favorite game piece, we played 10 rounds of Super Turbo X on my arcade machine then a nice session on Ultra IV, I'd forgotten the horror of his bloody Rufus, clung on with my Juri for dear life.

• Upvote 4

Does anyone have a Brook converter and find it a squeeze to get into the front USB of the Pro?

No but I have a bluetooth keyboard with a tiny receiver that wouldn't fit so I used a short USB extension, bob's your uncle

There's gonna be an 8-player exhibition tournament at Combo Breaker on 25th May. Daigo, Ricki Ortiz, Alex Valle and Justin Wong will be competing alongside other players who will bid in an auction for entry into the bracket.

The game they play will be chosen randomly from the 12 in the collection before each match. Looking forward to Daigo and Justin playing the first game in the series and recreating the famous Evolution Moment #1.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/05/16/street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection-exhibition-at-combo-breaker-2018

Also there will be Super Turbo, Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike tournaments in the US and Canada this year too:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Looking forward to Daigo and Justin playing the first game in the series and recreating the famous Evolution Moment #1.

Furiously mashing all of the things in the hope that a Dragon Punch pops out? I'd watch that.

Aye, there's an EU beta this weekend with 20 chars, which will turn into a 4 character demo until the launch on the 22nd June.

I had great fun with the US and JP beta last weekend, so you should all give it a shot

I'm getting this for my birthday. I am looking forward to being exposed on Alpha 3.

You used to have to unlock Evil Ryu, Guile and Shin Akuma in World Tour if I recall. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Base.com are saying they dispatched mine is this morning. Might get it tomorrow! I've read it's actually just emulation underneath. Which means lag I guess. Hrm.

Such a shame this isn't cross-platform. With four online games across four systems that's splitting it into 16 different pools of players.

Hopefully special moves being stricter than SFIV/V will improve my sloppy input habits.

Man, full cross-platform support across all four* platforms with 6 or 8 player quarter match online lobbies and SFA2 added to the online - that is the ideal dream, isn't it? But assuming the netcode and the ports themselves are good, I'm already glad with what we're getting in this collection. It looks awesome. 

*Although I'm not sure if I'm too crazy about the idea of bumping into Switch players online using their Switch WiFi

27 minutes ago, Camel said:

What were you expecting other than emulation?

Ports. Apparently the closest you ll get to a arcade perfect is the Dreamcast port of ssf2t. I probably won't notice the difference. I just thought this would be the definitive home version. It won't be. 

• Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Camel said:

Emulation is going to be closer than a port.  I'm a bit confused by this conversation.

The problem with emulation is input lag. Which is why professional players don't use emulators. 

1 minute ago, bplus said:

The problem with emulation is input lag. Which is why professional players don't use emulators. 

Emulation doesn't necessarily mean input lag, it depends on how well coded the emulator is. Also input lag tends to be worse on PC emulation because frequently the latency comes through the operating system.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, bplus said:

The same professional players who played SFIV at Evo on PS3 with its input lag?  Don't they also run older games on modern hardware at Evo?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bplus said:

But I thought it was confirmed to use rollback?

I doubt input lag will be much of an issue. People loved 3rd Strike on dreamcast and that added a couple of frames over the arcade. As long as the lag is minimal and consistent it won't be an issue to adapt.

Recent updates to Retroarch apparently allow for response times faster than original hardware so it should technically be possibly to have parity with the arcade originals.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/better-than-reality-new-emulation-tech-lags-less-than-original-consoles/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I doubt input lag will be much of an issue. People loved 3rd Strike on dreamcast and that added a couple of frames over the arcade. As long as the lag is minimal and consistent it won't be an issue to adapt.

Recent updates to Retroarch apparently allow for response times faster than original hardware so it should technically be possibly to have parity with the arcade originals.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/better-than-reality-new-emulation-tech-lags-less-than-original-consoles/

Yeah I'd read about that lag thing on ars too. No idea if it's implemented. I actually know I won't notice the lag as I'm not good enough. Just a bit disappointing that thesevarent gonna be the definitive home versions. Back to the dreamcast then :)

3 hours ago, Camel said:

The same professional players who played SFIV at Evo on PS3 with its input lag?  Don't they also run older games on modern hardware at Evo?

Yes however those games where designed from ground up to deal with lag introduced by usb etc. Is their much difference between arcade sf4 and the PS3 version?

53 minutes ago, bplus said:

Yeah I'd read about that lag thing on ars too. No idea if it's implemented. I actually know I won't notice the lag as I'm not good enough. Just a bit disappointing that thesevarent gonna be the definitive home versions. Back to the dreamcast then :)

Yes however those games where designed from ground up to deal with lag introduced by usb etc. Is their much difference between arcade sf4 and the PS3 version?

There's more input lag in the PS3 version over the 360 version.  It's not like all the professionals refused to play.  They play older fighters on modern platforms too, via, you guessed it, emulation.