rllmuk
Nick R

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - animated, non-MCU, written by half of Lord and Miller, and REALLY GOOD

Just now, Mogster said:

Also, surely nobody there would have had 3D glasses if they were going into a 2D showing? :unsure:

Nope, and I’ve only ever deliberately seen one film in 3D (The Avengers), and it put me off for life, really stomach churning. Immediately went to see the film again in 2D.

9 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Wait...so you went to the 2D screening but they showed it in 3D, however nobody in the screening had 3D glasses and nobody complained?

Yeah, it was weird. Then again, it was a small screening room and nearly empty that time on a Sunday. *shrug*

When I saw it Saturday, at the start I thought we were in a 3d showing as some of the background animation looked off, but that went away/realised it was just one of the many animation styles they used.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

When I saw it Saturday, at the start I thought we were in a 3d showing as some of the background animation looked off, but that went away/realised it was just one of the many animation styles they used.

Yeah, they used a new technique of destruction language where not all forms are constructed into traditional bound CG shapes. Lines will pop off a character or building, giving it just a bit more of a hand drawn feeling, little more life and unpredictability. They used asymmetry with characters, an eye a millimeter lower than the other, nose a bit off centre to make it feel less like its made by a computer. Can't wait to watch all the extras on the Blu-Ray.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Yeah, they used a new technique of destruction language where not all forms are constructed into traditional bound CG shapes. Lines will pop off a character or building, giving it just a bit more of a hand drawn feeling, little more life and unpredictability. They used asymmetry with characters, an eye a millimeter lower than the other, nose a bit off centre to make it feel less like its made by a computer. Can't wait to watch all the extras on the Blu-Ray.

Hope it does well at the box office - quite quiet in my Saturday morning screening - hope it doesn't get lost in what seems to be a ridicously busy late November/December.

@Protocol Penguin Are you sure it just wasn’t the chromatic aberration effect they were going for with distant objects? Everything would have been pretty much out of focus if it was a 3D print.

One thing that I thought was poor from a storytelling perspective was that there was no reason or explanation as to why...

his uncle was working for Kingpin. It lost any tension with the reveal.

25 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I didn’t mind that at all, my only gripe was that the film suffered from the age old Superhero movie problem of a CGI fight in the third act...

What, did you expect them to go to live action for that bit?!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JPL said:

One thing that I thought was poor from a storytelling perspective was that there was no reason or explanation as to why...

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think you needed a particular reason for that.

13 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I don't think you needed a particular reason for that.

It wasn’t a deal breaker or anything, but I would have preferred to know his motivations. I think it would have added to the story, personally. Only a minor niggle though. I loved everything else.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Hide contents

Whilst it was never directly explained it was subtly but significantly foreshadowed.

Spoiler

Both his Uncle and his Dad mentioned that they were very close until they both made different choices. Their background together and subsequent estrangement, with his Dad becoming a regular cop and his Uncle being rather wealthy with underground (both literally and figuratively) connections, means that the choices they made were obviously crime related. It's pretty obvious that his Uncle's a criminal.

Combine that with him going awol at the exact same time as we're introduced to Kingpin and whilst it's not obvious, it is logical.

I liked it. I liked that movie added in character stuff like that without feeling the need to sit the audience down and monologue them the plot and background. The story is told in the action, not the talky stuff around the action.

I'm still buzzing about this today. I can't afford to go see it again at the cinema so I'm just going to have to wait until the streaming release. "I want you to have this. It'll fit in your pocket".:lol:

To anyone who hasn't seen this. Stay right to the end. The very, very, very end of all the credits. Believe me, it's worth it.

• Upvote 2

On 08/12/2018 at 07:58, DC said:

You’ve seen it? It’s not out until next week is it? I think Phelan is in the industry? I am VERY aroused for this.

Used to be in the industry but still have plenty of friends across the industry so get invited to lots of fun things :)

Possibly the best thing I seen this year. If anything it needs to win best animation for something. I was hesitant about the story beforehand but its again actually quite refreshing from all of the other cape stories. It just like one big glorious explosion of visual eye candy. Possibly one of the best superhero film I seen for a long while, and surprisingly made by Sony of all things.

On 10/12/2018 at 22:40, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Whilst it was never directly explained it was subtly but significantly foreshadowed.

Reveal hidden contents

Both his Uncle and his Dad mentioned that they were very close until they both made different choices. Their background together and subsequent estrangement, with his Dad becoming a regular cop and his Uncle being rather wealthy with underground (both literally and figuratively) connections, means that the choices they made were obviously crime related. It's pretty obvious that his Uncle's a criminal.

Combine that with him going awol at the exact same time as we're introduced to Kingpin and whilst it's not obvious, it is logical.

I liked it. I liked that movie added in character stuff like that without feeling the need to sit the audience down and monologue them the plot and background. The story is told in the action, not the talky stuff around the action.

To anyone who hasn't seen this. Stay right to the end. The very, very, very end of all the credits. Believe me, it's worth it.

I get the "point", that was something amazing,

Hobo Spider-man FTW!!!

Just out from this and nothing to add but praise for everything about it. 

The style, the story, the action, the humour. Just Amazing and possibly spectacular. Superior to most movies I've seen this year Imo.  

Go see it and if you have kids take them ASAP. 

End credits scene was awesome.