IGNORED

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - animated, non-MCU, written by half of Lord and Miller, and REALLY GOOD

Nick R

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Watched this for the first time over the weekend. Absolutely marvellous. 

The Spider-Man 2099 but at the end had me in stitches. 

Seen this film about six times. Only on the sixth, on Saturday night, did I see the Spider-Man 2099 bit at the end of the credits. Superb :lol:

It said 4k HDR on netflix when I watched it again yesterday?

One thing that does bug me with the animation, is not the "style" itself, but the really hacky frame rate on it. I know it's "artistic" but cmon make it 24 not 12. It doesn't really look like a cartoon. Anyway, good film, only a minor gripe for my PC master race eyes!

Miles is deliberately shown in 12 fps because he is janky and untrained. When we see the first Peter fight the goblin that's all in 24 fps because he's smooth and in control. 

Miles when he jumps off the skyscraper at the end is all in glorious 24fps because he has become a hero. 

It's all done for a reason. That's why it's such an amazing film. 

I absolutely love this film. but I hate that low frame rate stuff.

It just doesn't work on me. It doesn't make him look untrained, it doesn't make the animation feel 'chunky', it just looks like the frame rate has dropped on some of the animation.  To me anyway.  But, I've spent most of my life making video games, and being super-sensitive to differences in frame rate, and I always want a higher frame rate.

5 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Miles is deliberately shown in 12 fps because he is janky and untrained. When we see the first Peter fight the goblin that's all in 24 fps because he's smooth and in control. 

Miles when he jumps off the skyscraper at the end is all in glorious 24fps because he has become a hero. 

It's all done for a reason. That's why it's such an amazing film. 

I've just checked. No he's not, not sure where you got that notion from? I suppose It "looks" smoother, because it's faster motion so less noticeable. but it's all the same throughout the movie. Peter Parker, and everyone else, throughout the movie included. It's just a bit of a crappy rate to my eyes. I'm with Pickers on this. It's rubbish.

If anyone has ever watched a classic Mickey Mouse cartoon with frame smoothing on, they’ll know how abominable it looks.

I am not sure why anyone would dispute the 12/24 miles progression as being true, it’s fucking true.

And yeah Dolby Vision/HDR makes a pretty big difference to this. 4K Netflix still ok, but e.g. Apple TV digital purchase blows it away. I’ve watched this at least 20 times.

12 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

No he's not, not sure where you got that notion from?

Probably from every single animation breakdown that's been published since the film came out - and I think the directors' commentary too!

Usually the forest swinging scene is the example that tends to be used to illustrate how Miles's animation changes as he gains confidence. IIRC, in that scene both Miles and Peter generally stay animated on twos/12fps; it's just that they start off with their poses tending to change out-of-phase on alternate frames, and then they move in sync so that each character's actions take place on the same frames.

As for the end of the movie when he gets confident with his powers: it does go up to ones/24fps at times, but not consistently. I just stepped through a few shots of the leap of faith scene (the full stop key does it on YouTube!), and his animation seems to change between 12 and 24fps roughly every five seconds:

1:20 - Swinging down to ground level, and running alongside the cars - 24fps, his pose changing every frame.

1:25 - Jumping onto the lorry, and on top of other vehicles - back to 12fps.

1:31 - Swinging on the pole - up to 24.

1:34 - Jumping from wall to wall in the alleyway, and along the office window - back to 12.

1:41 - Running on the rooftop - 24 again.

Watched this on a whim on Netflix. So today, my OLED TV has amazed me twice as I played Tetris Effect earlier too.

What an incredible film. I love inventive animation and this is the most impressive film I've seen in a very long time; probably since Boxtrolls but it's a million miles more astonishing than that.

I can safely say I'll be watching this again. 

It's brilliant that this is on Netflix, as it should finally find its audience (the fact that it grossed so much less than live-action Spidey is a crime). It's gradually been building to the point where it was No 2 in the Netflix charts yesterday. Recommend it to all your friends!

If you like it, buy the 4K Blu-Ray! It's outstanding.

And another thing I only just noticed. 

When Miles is running late at school, he tries to sneak into the room but the teacher spots him and  asks where he's been. Miles says time is relative and maybe they're all early. 

And there sitting in the class is Gwen.... And get this... She's early. Because he hasn't been back to the collider yet. 

Man I love this movie so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right. I’ve watched this movie several times now. It’s all been said before but it’s arguably the best Spider-Man movie ever made. It’s fucking beautiful!

Playing through Miles Morales and finishing it on Friday encouraged me to go back in for another viewing and it was easily the best yet, but something really jumped out at me.

The ‘leap of faith’ scene where Miles embraces being Spider-Man. That has to be one of the greatest Superhero moments in any movie ever and not just Spider-Man.

Spoiler

The way it’s shot, the voice overs, the music, what Miles does, the music, how it makes something we have seen Spider-Man do a million times feel dangerous and fresh, did I mention the music.

The way it then links to the end with Peter hits that emotional note perfectly too. It’s just perfect. 

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

Right. I’ve watched this movie several times now. It’s all been said before but it’s arguably the best Spider-Man movie ever made. It’s fucking beautiful!

Playing through Miles Morales and finishing it on Friday encouraged me to go back in for another viewing and it was easily the best yet, but something really jumped out at me.

The ‘leap of faith’ scene where Miles embraces being Spider-Man. That has to be one of the greatest Superhero moments in any movie ever and not just Spider-Man.

Reveal hidden contents

The way it’s shot, the voice overs, the music, what Miles does, the music, how it makes something we have seen Spider-Man do a million times feel dangerous and fresh, did I mention the music.

The way it then links to the end with Peter hits that emotional note perfectly too. It’s just perfect. 

Completely agree. I've watched it so many times, it's fantastic King Pin is so formidable but has depth, Doc Ock's design is fantastic.

All of the emotional beats are great, the action inventive, Miles' journey is my favourite for any superhero and all the leads grow and change throughout the story.

The Art Of book is also great.