Nick R

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - animated, non-MCU, written by half of Lord and Miller, and REALLY GOOD

Just realised what the art style was reminding me of. Sort of.

It's like A Scanner Darkly mixed with Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.

Aye, I'm looking forward to this more than anything related to Spiderman in the MCU. Finished the Insomniac game recently and as brilliant as it was I kind of wish it had this artstyle.

• Upvote 1

The Hollywood Reporter says that they're already working on a sequel to be directed by Joaquim Dos Santos, and a spin-off about the female Spider-characters to be directed by Lauren Montgomery:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spider-verse-sequel-spinoff-works-sony-1164210

Both have lots of directorial and storyboarding credits on cartoons involving superpowers like Avatar, Korra, Voltron, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice and assorted DC made-for-DVD animated movies like Wonder Woman. Dos Santos in particular is well-known for knowing his way around animated fight scenes - couple of my favourites below:

Spoiler

I've put those clips in spoiler tags because, well, let's not get ahead of ourselves until the first one's out!

‪Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is one of the best movies of the year and possibly the best Spider-Man movie. ‬

‪The art style, scripting and casting are all sublime. ‬

‪It’s a modern-day piece of art. ‬

It’s so damned good. Kinda want to see it again right away. 

(Stay for end credits)

• Upvote 7

You’ve seen it? It’s not out until next week is it? I think Phelan is in the industry? I am VERY aroused for this.