rllmuk
Goose

Alita: Battle Angel

So far this seems to be getting very average reviews, from the few I've skimmed so far. Only a 44% Rotten Tomatoes score at the moment, but not many of them seem to either hate it or really love it; mostly disappointment that its cyberpunk ideas are nothing new.

I've seen a few people agreeing it's easily Rodriguez's best film since Sin City. That's fine, but just imagine how exciting it would be if those people were able to say it's Cameron's best film since Terminator 2!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Care as little or as much as you like (not "we", you are a singular subjective individual - just like the reviewer above). 

It’s just a YouTube link. It could be anyone. 

I’m not baiting. If someone references a credible source I’d be interested. I know it got three stars in Empire, which is disappointing. I’ll still go. It can’t be awful.

• Downvote 1

Maybe he’s an internet influencer

i just don’t watch random YouTube links, every time I’ve tried it’s been some screechy whiny cretin

they need to generate traffic, good luck to them. I still listen to Radio 4

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

The reviewer in the video is not whiny nor screechy, I can promise you that. He’s a fan of the Alita manga so is familiar with the source material. He liked the movie overall but also had certain reservations regarding things that could have been handled better. Gave it a “B” (with A+ being the best score). I don’t know much about him but he’s been a frequent reviewer for a long time and is generally calm, considered and well articulated. Heck, I do believe he’s even old enough to be married. 

• Upvote 2

As YouTubeers go he's one of the better ones. I often disagree with him, but I'm always interested in his opinion.

Nothing wrong with linking him without comment. He's very well known.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how this will do at the box office?

It has “mega flop” written all over it, but it has the next few weeks to itself as far as big releases go

52 minutes ago, sandman said:

I wonder how this will do at the box office?

It has “mega flop” written all over it, but it has the next few weeks to itself as far as big releases go

What makes you think so? If it comes out in the right window then it’ll probably make a profit- can’t see why it would tank

its just a shame, it looks so damn good - I was grinning all through the last trailer, whereas am genuinely worried about HTTYD

2 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Nothing wrong with linking him without comment. He's very well known.

But what if you don’t know him, which I don’t? Linking to a video, no matter how relevant it is to the topic, without any kind of context doesn’t make me want to click on it.

It’s not difficult to say why it’s relevant and it’s big help for people who don’t want to click on random YouTube links.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

But what if you don’t know him, which I don’t? Linking to a video, no matter how relevant it is to the topic, without any kind of context doesn’t make me want to click on it.

Do we really need to explain the author of every review we link to?

Fair enough if it's some unknown youtuber or publication, but this guy is one of the biggest film reviewer on YouTube. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Do we really need to explain the author of every review we link to?

Fair enough if it's some unknown youtuber or publication, but this guy is one of the biggest film reviewer on YouTube. 

But, like I said, I’ve never heard of him and by the looks of the replies neither have a few other people.

I edited my last post to explain a bit further, but I find it a bit inconsiderate. No big deal though, I just won’t click on anything without a description.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

I just won’t click on anything without a description.

I find this is a useful rule for the internet.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, linkster said:

It’s just a YouTube link. It could be anyone. 

Stuckman is actually a decent film reviewer, there's no point defending him unless you just watch a few of his reviews and see if you like him. He doesn't rely on gimmicks, or tries to be over the top. He's a film maker too so has some understanding behind producing a film and delivers good arguments on why he likes or dislikes a film. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I find this is a useful rule for the internet.

I seem to spend half my life clicking any old shit on YouTube. It's a terrible habit.