Goose

Alita: Battle Angel

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

Agreed, it looks interesting and a bit different. I'd rather have people try things and not quite hit the mark than give in to public naysaying all the time.

I'll never understand the way people hyperbolise about mainstream films with such negative language. In a worst case scenario, it's not as good as it could have been. these entertainments are never actually 'awful', 'dreadful' or 'horrendous'.

Those opinions sound like they must be really stressful.

Plenty of films are awful. This is an evening out that can cost up to £50 if you have children, and for that price you get two hours worth of entertainment. For it to be worth that it needs to be more enjoyable than something you could do cheaper or for free, and the majority of films aren’t. 

What sounds stressful to me is coasting through life sucking up whatever shit the corporate machine feeds to you. You have one life, and your time is precious. Having it wasted by garbage is annoying, but floating along trying to enjoy garbage designed to exploit you is sad.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

We already knew the eyes were the stuff of nightmares, so this is my biggest problem with this new trailer. I don't mind them changing the story up, that's unavoidable if you want it to work as film. Especially if they're going to fit the first two volumes worth of story in it, as it looks like they're doing. But this particular change isn't just seemingly unnecessary, it makes the story more generic and less interesting for it. 

Absolutely. The story Ido tells about the crashed ship is one of those beautiful simple pieces of world building like Obi Wan’s mention of the clone wars or the Tannhauser Gate. It doesn’t need retconning into something special just for her, that just narrows the world and makes it less exciting.

• Upvote 3

I don’t watch trailers online unless it’s Star Wars so hadn’t seen the trailer until this evening before The Predator, actually think it could be really good, none of it felt especially original (cross between Ghost in the Shell and AI) but the bits of action involving her specifically later on looked really promising 

They've now put this back from 21 December this year, to 14 February next year. Weirdly, they appear to be replacing it's original release with a PG-13 edit of Deadpool 2.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

They've now put this back from 21 December this year, to 14 February next year. Weirdly, they appear to be replacing it's original release with a PG-13 edit of Deadpool 2.

:doh:

Looking forward to this - big fan of the original anime - the movie looks quite different. Mind, the anime was only an hour or so itself. 

Wonder why the push back? Scared of a Bumblebee?

Maybe it's a Disney call, though I don't think they officially own Fox just yet. This hasn't quite turned out how I imagined it from what James Cameron originally envisioned, as it was meant to be a platform for his next gen Synthespian technology, it's sort of that but not quite.

Looks like exactly the sort of thing I'd watch on Netflix during a listless Sunday afternoon, followed by an exasperated feeling of having wasted my time.

So, better than Avatar.

(Probably.)

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, macosx said:

That looks great but my brain can't put those eyes together with a human face.

That’s exactly how I feel. It just looks wrong to me, no matter how good the effects are. Must be the human uncanny valley thing.

• Upvote 1

"You are the most human person I have ever met" is the most cringe worthy line I have heard in a trailer since "This is a rebellion is'nt it?....I rebel". Fucking hell.

• Upvote 3

They ran the trailer for this back to back with Captain Marvel, former first. The difference in craft between the two is staggering, I was grinning throughout and glued to the screen, think it looks fantastic.