IGNORED

Bayonetta 3 - Announced for Switch

HarMGM

Beat both of them for the first time within the last year.

Bayo 1 is great fun but the controls can be a bit iffy at times and the QTE events kinda suck. The bosses are pretty amazing though.  Its about 15 hours or so to beat.

Bayo 2 is refined amazingly well , removes some of the puzzle elements which seemed a bit pointless in the first game. It's still a much more enjoyable game even if it is half the length of the first game. That's not a bad thing cos it encourages multiple playthroughs - I played it back through straight after. 

The only issue I had was my right wrist was in agony after playing them ☹️

Well worth playing before the 3rd game arrives.

Everybody already knows how and why I don’t think the second game was a patch on the first game by any stretch (more like a lobotomy).

There isn’t enough game play shown in this new trailer to make an estimation on the existing elements and new systems in place. Hopefully Umbran Climax has gone back to being a novelty unlockable item that nullifies gradings, either that or it’s reduced to a utility technique that you can pulse in and out of for keeping the extra-heavies in the air (when you’re not transforming into a kaiju). Something definitely needs to be done with its meter management and expenditure, because it completely wrecked the subtle balance that B1 set up.

They desperately need to reinstate the verticality from the first game as well. You could effortlessly take the entire scene into the skies with a vast range of tech before, whereas that was kind of shunned in 2, and became a pain in the ass to set up.

Whatever. Hopefully we see more game play clips soon. I’m excited for it at least.

2 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Everybody already knows how and why I don’t think the second game was a patch on the first game by any stretch (more like a lobotomy).

There isn’t enough game play shown in this new trailer to make an estimation on the existing elements and new systems in place. Hopefully Umbran Climax has gone back to being a novelty unlockable item that nullifies gradings, either that or it’s reduced to a utility technique that you can pulse in and out of for keeping heavies in the air (when you’re not transforming into a kaiju).

They desperately need to reinstate the verticality from the first game as well. You could effortlessly take the entire scene into the skies with a vast range of tech before, whereas that was kind of shunned in 2, and became a pain in the ass to set up.

Saurian posted at length about his dislike of B2, but he did the same with VJ2 and DMC4. I feel it's more a bit of him being set in his ways and not accepting that a sequel to a game can and will be a different thing.

Bayonetta 2 is - imo - more of it's own ridiculous thing and all the better for it, as it's moved away from it's DMC roots that are so very obvious in the first game. 

Well yeah, that’s the expectation that was set. They didn’t have the IP so Kamiya and co. had to come up with their own evolution. Side-lining, or even all-out removing those evolutions in place of ‘big button that goes bang’ is kind of disheartening to purists of the genre, especially with pickings being so few and far between. They practically did a Kirby with that one.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Nintendo getting directly involved to make things more accessible for all (despite the game already having a perfectly tuned tiering of accessibility modes in place). During the TW101 Iwata Asks Kamiya spoke about having to combat that repeatedly, ending up with having to bullshit during meetings entirely while secretly incorporating things under the hood - leading to heated elevator arguments with his producer - all to keep his vision in place. I don’t think other Japanese directors are as set in their ways, unfortunately.

Feeling like hexadipping with the first game now (eShop). With the new Splatoon 3 pro controller on the horizon I don’t need to worry about putting my existing one through the stress test. xD  The only tech which can really do any damage are the Torture Attacks where you have to push out as many 360 spins on the analogue as fast as humanly possible before the animation is up. I have a secret method for that which absolutely destroys the rubber. I could refrain from using it, but it’s so damn enjoyable, and I’m purposely non-aware of any potential cap in place when it comes to how many spins are possible, so I’m always trying to max it out like it’s Track and Field or something.

The same method applies to the pole spin. Torture Attack on an enemy with a pole to force them to drop it (Torture Attacks exist so that you can disarm enemies for the high scoring/damage potential of their weapons), grab it afterwards, anger up a group of baddies, then trigger Witch Time somewhere close to the center of the gang before going for the secondary attack with the weapon (the pole spin). Spam that 360 AFAP (as fast as possible) for meaty hit-stops all over the shop as the meter goes crazy and struggles to keep up with the influx of points. There’s absolutely nothing more satisfying in the entirety of video gaming. Nothing close.

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m I right in hearing the first game is getting a physical release too at some point this year? 

Yeah. I’ll be getting that as well because I can’t possibly throw enough money at them for it. That, and I’ve never actually paid the proper full price for it before which makes me feel dirty.

Every time I see it in a sales bin for a fiver or less I’ll snap it up and give it out as a gift to someone purely out of principle.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Yeah. I’ll be getting that as well because I can’t possibly throw enough money at them for it. That, and I’ve never actually paid the proper full price for it before which makes me feel dirty.

If you really want to throw money at Platinum, just get in on their Babylon's Fall scam, or buy the Sol Cresta deluxe package ;)

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

If you really want to throw money at Platinum, just get in on their Babylon's Fall scam, or buy the Sol Cresta deluxe package ;)

I went to the eShop earlier, but then ate my words when I saw it at €30. That’s a fair price, but I’ll grab it once I’m done with Triangle Strategy. If I jump into Bayo for a quick blast absolutely nothing else will get played for at least three to four months.

Bayonetta 2 is ridiculously good, I’m sure there is some sort of combo madness skill if you want to invest time, but I love that you can mash your way right through to the end. It’s a masterpiece in terms of inclusivity, skill wise. 

I know limited or collector’s editions are overpriced, but for what you get with this one, the price seems astonishingly high.

Is it me?

(Grumpy old man who loves CE’s, but is saving money for little bear’s (son’s) future).

He is my little bear and that will never change.

And these fucking things, along with their RNG bullshit and complete lack of signposting:

Sloth_Render.png

I've never actually thrown my controller before, but these things got me close. Throughout my 35 years in gaming this is the only baddie I've ever given up on trying to master. 

2 hours ago, skondo said:

I know limited or collector’s editions are overpriced, but for what you get with this one, the price seems astonishingly high.

Is it me?

(Grumpy old man who loves CE’s, but is saving money for little bear’s (son’s) future).

He is my little bear and that will never change.

The £20 extra is worth it for the art book alone if it’s the same quality as those included with the Xenoblade special editions. Considering how scandalously priced LEs are these days (God of War) it isn’t bad value and is definitely better than the tat that comes with the Three Hopes LE.

The LE is in stock for £79.99 at Game.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/bayonetta-3-trinity-masquerade-edition-2891825

7 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I’m sure there is some sort of combo madness skill if you want to invest time, but I love that you can mash your way right through to the end.

There's a little bit, but the first game is actually built around playing like that all the time if you want to complete it properly (All Pure Platinums on Non-stop Infinite Climax mode). If you slow down with the onslaught at any point or let anything have legs on the ground you're more than likely going to get hit, or at the least have to spend mental focus on evasion/dodge-offset until you can light things up again. That's why the crowd control aspects of keeping things constantly airborne is so important. I personally didn't find the weapon combinations anywhere near as enjoyable or meaty, but that might be just me - give me chargeable shotguns, bombs, and rockets to unload over fluffy flamethrowers that don't even hit-stun and a mostly useless giant hammer. The game system is indeed built around the 'smash everything to shit' playstyle with Umbran Climax (So, as you were, I suppose). It doesn't matter how stylishly or how perfectly you play on a lot of the later verses, you won't get the Pure Platinum grading unless you activate Umbran Climax and mash your way to victory instead. Try playing creatively and you'll end up with a Gold for your troubles.

This guy sums it up perfectly, and these are far from being high-level play observations.

Bayo 2 isn't a terrible game by any stretch, but massively disappointing if you were expecting an evolution of the first game.

I've seen it argued that the quality of Platinum's games is highly dependent on who is credited as director:

https://critpoints.net/2016/07/17/the-secret-behind-platinums-quality/

(This is from 2016, so mentions Scalebound.)

[TMNT] was directed by Eiro Shirahama, who you might notice was also the director of Legend of Korra. Legend of Korra was probably Platinum’s biggest miss up to this point, which lead to a surprise when Transformers Devastation was amazing. So why was Transformers Devastation good among these three licensed cartoon games? The director of Devastation was actually Kenji Saito, who you might also know as the director of Metal Gear Rising.

So this makes me wonder, what other recurring directors have we had at Platinum Games? The answer is almost none. Almost every Platinum game has a different director. Even ones you’d think would have the same director like Mad World to Anarchy Reigns, and Bayonetta to Bayonetta 2 have different directors (perhaps this explains the difference in quality between Bayo 1 and 2). I’m only really looking at directors here because I know that a lot of the corporate attitude of Platinum is inherited from what Shinji Mikami established back at Capcom, where it’s all about the director’s vision. You’ll notice there are few repeating people in other roles as well though.

Of the recurring directors we have Hideki Kamiya (Bayo 1, W101, Scalebound), Yusuke Hashimoto (Bayo 2, Star Fox Zero), Eiro Shirahama (Legend of Korra, TMNT), and Kenji Saito (MGR, TD). This leads me to think that Kenji Saito is something really special to the company, he may be an even better director than Kamiya. I’d keep an eye on him in particular in the future. It also leads me to think that Hashimoto and Eiro Shirahama aren’t very good directors.

However, the next Platinum game that Kenji Saito directed after that blog post was... Babylon's Fall. 😬

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

This guy sums it up perfectly, and these are far from being high-level play observations.

Bayo 2 isn't a terrible game by any stretch, but massively disappointing if you were expecting an evolution of the first game.

That's really interesting. I've only played through Bayo 2 once, but definitely noticed some of these things even then. It was fun, but I didn't feel a need to continue with it. In contrast I played the original for 100 hours or so.

My feeling is that Bayo 3 will continue down the same path as 2, perhaps in part because it's being made for Nintendo, and the release date trailer doesn't exactly allay those concerns.

I just want regular copies of 1, 2 and 3. I didn't buy 2 on Switch because I kept trying to get the Japanese collector's edition and then I felt like that ship has sailed.

Also I still haven't finished 1 and 2 on Wii U.

Just sell me the physical trilogy, Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Limited "masquerade" edition is up on pretty much everywhere for those who still want one :)

Amazon.co.uk, Shopto.net and Nintendo Store UK are currently sold out.

GAME still has in it stock for those still looking.

In stock anywhere else?