IGNORED

Bayonetta 3 - Announced for Switch

HarMGM

Liking the look of the EDF Kaiju sections. it needed some new hook, some way of topping the scale of Bayonetta 2.

Might look a bit ropey at the moment, but it'll be fine when playing, and it's all wooshing by and assaulting all senses.

Nothing else quite has the personality and action of Bayonetta, so really looking forward to this now.

Posted this in the Nintendo Direct thread, but I am a bit concerned at how some of the attack collisions look like they feel less impactful than the original. Hopefully that can be fixed with some additional flashy cosmetic effects, as @MW_Jimmy says. But I'd have thought most of that stuff would already be in place, given how long it's been in development.

Same goes for the HUD looking a bit bare-bones - though I don't think they need to make it as dense as the original game's combo scoring meter, which showed too much information for the player to take in and act upon while playing.

Also, the enemy designs seen here look a bit generic compared to the previous angels and demons. And theplayer's dragon running across the buildings seems to be missing some smooth running animation - at the moment it looks like it's sliding, not running.

I know I'm nitpicking stuff that they've got plenty of time to fix! It's just that I was hoping to be really wowed by the gameplay footage, and unfortunately I wasn't.

I love that shit she does with her hair.

Looks pretty good to me. The second game was excellent once I forced myself to play it on hard and learn the systems properly, so I'll be doing the same with this. As a rule I don't get on with Platinum-style games, but Bayo 2 was the best one I played.

I'm not sure about the setting from what we've seen so far, though - I always thought the baroque European aesthetic from the first two games was interesting, whereas the urban Japanese setting we see in the reveal trailer seems a bit more generic. Hopefully we'll branch out a bit. The same applies to the monsters - twisted space seraphim are always going to be more interesting to me than kaiju, but maybe they'll make them varied enough to keep them fresh.

Anyway, we'll see. Is it a proper Switch exclusive or just a timed one?

Looks like some of the stuff planned for Scalebound where you were supposed to fight alongside your big dragon buddy ended up in this. 

Looked alright but any attempt to show a spectacle is going to be held back by the hardware at this point.

It felt oddly lacking in energy for Bayonetta. After all this time, it could do with a new direction (not convinced that big lumbering monsters will offer much), and a visual boost that it just can't get on Switch.

When I saw Lappy early on I thought it might be more Astral Chain. By the end, I kind of wished it had been.

I think it looks fantastic. The shots of Bayonetta running along the ground mirroring the attacks of her summoned hair-Kaiju while cars and debris are swept up in to explosive tornados? Magnificent.

It's running on hardware that's roughly as powerful as a 360 - it was never going to be a technical showcase. I just want them to recapture the escalating scale and spectacle of Bayo 2's Umbra Wars chapter.

I don't get it either. I think more people were hyped about Bayonetta 2 because nobody ever expected a sequel to it. Now it feels like the expectations have shifted even though Bayonetta is still a pretty niche franchise!

The first gameplay for Bayonetta 2 was the airplane sequence and was peppered with CGI and a more epic sounding soundtrack.

I really think folk are making vast assumptions based on a very limited trailer presenting the game in a very specific way (ie: the new gameplay). Maybe just do a CGI trailer with 'fly me to the moon' next time?

The sequel looked phenomenal when we first saw it. Unfortunately for me once I started to peel through the layers of game play there were brick walls all over the place - like you were being regimented to play a very specific way. After roughly 800 hours on the first game I’m still working new stuff out nearly every time I play. It’s a true sandbox of character action. I’m not even ready to dig into Transformers or DMC5 yet.

From that reveal yesterday it looks like an entirely new game altogether now, and as others have said looks very Scalebound. It might still be amazing. I hope it is.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

It's bothering me it's not the same voice actor and I really don't know why.

I don't think it's "Bayonetta". Some folks speculating that the original voice actor might be back to voice the another - not shown - Bayonetta.

She seemed younger. Is this a prequel or is this some early years flashback, maybe? I like the look of the combat, but the environments were a bit bland and very grey. Hopefully, the full game will get the colour back in it.

On 24/09/2021 at 18:24, MW_Jimmy said:

I don't think it's "Bayonetta". Some folks speculating that the original voice actor might be back to voice the another - not shown - Bayonetta.

Aye it’s probably actually Kiefer Sutherland with a voice modifier.

On 26/09/2021 at 20:08, Keyboard Koala said:

Any ideas on who the katana-wielding character at the very end of the trailer might be?

I thought it might be Jeanne? Seemed to fit right with the blonde style hair and the fact that she was the other Umbra Witch that changed her style in the same way Bayonetta did.