Bayonetta 3 - Announced for Switch

HarMGM

On 18/10/2022 at 20:23, HarMGM said:

Apparantly, she wasn't offered $4000 for the whole gig, but $3000/$4000 per session. So for a total of 5 voice sessions, that would've amounted to $15000-20.000 for the whole gig.

Taylor however, asked for a six figure sum+ getting paid residuals.

That changes things a little bit and im wondering why she wasn't more upfront about this.

Sour grapes.  Lost a nice gig where it seems she was offered decent rates and then went nuts with it.  I’d say she’s poisoned her career quite well.  Would be surprised if anyone would be dumb enough to work with someone that is ready to throw their employer under the bus like that knowing there’s documentation to prove you’re lying.

Still. It’s amusing reading all the early hot takes about how hard done by she was in this thread. 

She’s just responded on Twitter. Ironically she’s insisting that Nintendo/platinum are lying, and her version is the truth, but starts with “they initially offered me 10k, then after reaching out to Kayima who said he valued my work, they offered an additional 5k.  I said no, they then made an offer for some lines for 4k.”  I’m not sure how she doesn’t see how this more or less lines up with the reporting, and how she can’t see her initial videos were misleading - she was offered about 3-4k a session for 4-5 sessions (the initial offer of 15k which she never previously mentioned lines up in that range) and after saying no was offered 4k for some cameo lines.  She only mentioned the 4k as if that was an offer for the entire thing, but she must have been aware it wasn’t because she says it was offered nearly a year after and only “for a few lines” which hardly seems like something you’d say for completely voicing the main role.

She also notes what she got paid for the first two games - about 3k each.

On 21/10/2022 at 19:21, rafaqat said:

Sour grapes.  Lost a nice gig where it seems she was offered decent rates and then went nuts with it.  I’d say she’s poisoned her career quite well.  Would be surprised if anyone would be dumb enough to work with someone that is ready to throw their employer under the bus like that knowing there’s documentation to prove you’re lying.

Still. It’s amusing reading all the early hot takes about how hard done by she was in this thread. 

In this instance, it is a shame to see her muddying the waters of the truth (I saw no reason to doubt Schreier's reporting on the matter, he's one of the few working in the industry that can genuinely be regarded as a real journalist) and the worst part about that from what I was reading and have read over the years is that it is undeniably true that undervaluing/underpaying VA's is absolutely a thing in the industry. In the initial days there were a few VA's that shared stories of how they were offered similar low pay (Bryan Dechart who voiced/was Connor in Detroit: Become Human personally corroborated his own experience of being majorly lowballed on projects) and it's a recurring theme across the industry of companies ditching their original VA's for bigger names down the line. I think there's no greater example of that than Kojima dumping Hayter for Sutherland, but also look towards the God of War revival and Capcom's legacy with Dead Rising and Frank West's character.

I don't know why Taylor would obfuscate the truth like that when there would be obvious receipts to dispute her claims, but I'm arguing that for myself (and I believe others that shared the same sentiment) I was showing solidarity based on a clear history of videogame developers and publishers undervaluing the work that their VA's bring to projects. It's no hot take, guaranteed there are plenty of other VA's right now being lowballed as they don't have the clout or capital to demand a fair wage. And arguments that those that have a more direct impact on the development of the game should be paid more? Yes! Pay them all more! Fair wages for fair work, across the entire system! This was just a particularly notable incident of it being in the limelight, and I really hope it doesn't poison the discourse for having this conversation in future, when it absolutely needs to be had.

She must have other issues going on, as she’s clearly fucked up and destroyed her career. I hope she gets the help she needs, but that $15k for a few days work will haunt her forever when she’s stacking shelves in Walmart.

edit: Just a thought. She said she can’t afford to run a car and if they tried to sue her, she has no money.

Why does a voice actor with her extensive training, and who is apparently worthy of a six figure deal, not have any money?!

43 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

She must have other issues going on, as she’s clearly fucked up and destroyed her career. I hope she gets the help she needs, but that $15k for a few days work will haunt her forever when she’s stacking shelves in Walmart.

edit: Just a thought. She said she can’t afford to run a car and if they tried to sue her, she has no money.

Why does a voice actor with her extensive training, and who is apparently worthy of a six figure deal, not have any money?!

I think she’s primarily a theatre actress.

Yeah, as others have intimated she's not covering herself in glory here, to be honest. Her original statement that she was offered $4k turns out not to be true. A total (eventual) offer of $15k is nearly 4 times as high! Being later offered to 'voice some lines' is pretty ambiguous... was this for Bayonetta herself (seems unlikely, as Platinum would surely have already moved on with the main casting), or other characters? And finally, she doesn't say how much she actually asked for. I hope she's OK, as the original statement - which I thought was presented a bit bizarrely at the time - is now even more bizarre. As always with this kind of thing, it'll be fun to see how much of ResetEra now reverse-ferret and how many choose to stick (never, EVER learning to wait for corroboration before coming to immediate judgement in breathless threads).

EDIT: Changed figures to dollars, thanks for reminding me @Strafe!

A few months back I was listening to an interview with someone from an Earthbound fan group that helped bring the unreleased English translation of Mother 1 to light, and he mentioned that many of the people most active in the community had never actually played the games or had any interest in doing so. They just like the way the characters look and want to be part of something.

I wonder how common that is, and if millions of noisy Twitter people with Bayonetta avatars gave Taylor the impression that it's some kind of Marvel-tier mega-franchise. That $450mil figure in her video seemed iffy from the start.

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Being later offered to 'voice some lines' is pretty ambiguous... was this for Bayonetta herself (seems unlikely, as Platinum would surely have already moved on with the main casting), or other characters?

The game seems to have a multiverse plot, so it doesn't seem unlikely that Taylor was offered a short cameo, voicing a few lines for a different version of the character who doesn't appear for long.

The speculation I saw a few days ago was that she might have been offered to voice

Spoiler

the version we see dying in the 2017 teaser and the latest trailer. (Who seems to be the original version from the first two games.) A bit like how Chris Pine plays the version of Peter Parker who dies at the start of Into the Spider-Verse.

Edit: Spoilered after @Strafe's post!