rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Broker

SOUL CALIBUR VI - Welcome back to the stage of history [NSFW]

On 26/08/2018 at 11:19, hughes said:

What did Aris do? 

Google 'aris sexism' and you'll get a lot of takes on the whole mess. Aside from that he's generally tended towards quite an obnoxious demeanour that I've noticed reflected in a lot of Western Tekken fans who like to slavishly copy everything that he does. Like I said though, he seems to have changed it up a bit lately and he's coming across as less of a dick.

In other news, Cervantes is in AND SO IS MY PRE-ORDER. There wasn't much doubt, but that's what I was waiting for.

Raphael too, though his glasses are proving controversial.

No official trailers yet.

This game is really fucking good fun. I've largely ignored the series since 2 and it feels very similar to my memory of that except with a few new mechanics slathered on top. I'm still not fully sold on them but it's obviously incredibly early days. Reversal edge (the clash type thing) is actually better than I expected since you're still playing the usual fighting game rock-paper-scissors, just in slow-motion, so it beds into the matches quite nicely. Soul charge (the V-trigger) hasn't been a huge factor in the matches I've had but clearly will be once everyone has more of an idea how to use it. Critical edge (the super) can either feel like a total non-factor (since they're generally pretty obvious and punishable) or like they're interrupting the flow too much (if two or three land in a match). I feel like the series already had a strong comeback/robbery factor in ring outs so didn't particularly need more adding to it. I think it'd probably be fine if the CE animations were a little bit shorter in general. Nightmare's is absolutely boss though.

I'm generally doing pretty well but if you don't know the game it's really hard to play block and punish when people are just constantly mashing :lol:. Especially if they're Maxi.

It's obviously an earlier build, no Raphael or Cervantes but weirdly Tira is in there despite being DLC. Matchmaking is pretty slow at the moment but at least the menu music is nice and relaxing.

I'll certainly be keeping my pre-order based on this.

• Upvote 2

Well, I just downloaded the Beta test but it can't find any matches. If that's indicative of online at launch its going to be a shitshow.

Fighting games at launch are always a shitshow. People have reported better luck by putting all the matchmaking settings to 'any'. I didn't generally have to wait super long yesterday and there should be more people on it now, I imagine.

Finally got a few matches in. I suck apparently. Sound seems a bit crackly at times. I picked my old favourite Mitsurugi, but he controlled too different from how I remember. I'm also not a fan of all the new effects and gimmicks, especially the specials. SC1 was so much purer. Think I'll give it a miss.

Yeah, I'm guessing there's some very heavy compression going on in general since it weighs in at 3gb but still somehow contains a few stages. In this day and age that seems almost miraculous. Even something like the new Trials is 50gb.

I feel you on the purity aspect though, for sure. When the gimmicks aren't in play it's so much better. Good enough that I'm willing to put up with them but I can totally understand that aspect putting others off completely. I'm hopeful they might dial them down a tad if they get a lot of similar feedback.

10 hours ago, Rsdio said:

People have reported better luck by putting all the matchmaking settings to 'any'.

Yeah, I couldn't find anyone until I did that, but then I had connections within the minute.

I've never liked comeback mechanics in Tekken (nor Street Fighter to a lesser extent), but I think they mostly fit in this always-fantasy world. I just feel there's one too many, cramping the pace more often than they should, so I'd rather amalgamate to have one fewer. Slo-mo and Supers...

They could go for the A-, X- and V-ism approach, where abilities are all available, but you have to choose combinations.

Another thing about the supers: in addition to the damage you'd expect you also seem to get mad guaranteed oki since the animations end pretty quickly after connecting. Some of them leave you so close to your downed opponent that you can re-launch them off the ground with no trouble at all.

Reversal edge really needs some sort of cost to it, I haven't seen it an excessive amount myself but some people are apparently just doing it all the time. I assumed it ate into your guard or something.

With their being no arcade release to test all this stuff I can see it being a bit broken for a while. I think I'd feel like this was much more of a problem in most other games but rightly or wrongly I've always seen Soul Calibur as casual knockabout fun and this entry certainly has that in spades. It just feels good to have a bash on without getting super competitive about it.

Also, everyone loves Voldo, right?

It just seems to lack the elegance of the original Soul Calibur. Though admittedly I've been picking Nightmare and just pressing Triangle... And Circle occasionally...

But seriously though, it's too functionally all over the place. The supers don't have the tightness of execution and risk reward like they do in Street Fighter IV, and I really hate the slow mo clashes as well. It's just a mess of mechanics that seem like they belong in different games.

Nightmare feels surprisingly fluid to me considering he's kind of a tank but yeah, triangle won't get you far unless you have an opening as his moves are so slow and punishable. You'll probably get jabbed out of that all day by people mashing (like basically everyone is on this, I've won about 80% of my matches despite being shit just by blocking a bit). I've generally been more using square if it looks like I've blocked something unsafe and if that's not working trying to interrupt with a kick instead to create a bit of space. Throws might as well not exist right now since no-one ever seems to block!

Nightmare's damage is absolutely disgusting though. Launch someone->combo->re-launch them->combo->they're dead.

The netcode really is shite. I've won/lost matches due to the input lag constantly, even with people in the same region. It's got a loooong way to go to be playable.

I think Nightmare is my favourite now. Mitsurugi has got too sluggish when he was so much faster before, but Nightmare has if anything got more nimble and damaging.

Since its an open beta there are gonna be loads of players on wireless connections so lag is inevitable.

I've only had the one match so far and I really had no clue what I was doing. Afterward I waited ten minutes without being matched to an opponent so I turned it off. I'll go back and try the Connection: Any thing and hopefully figure out how to play before the beta ends.

Yeah I've chosen Any to get matches. I'm playing all this afternoon so hopefully will see a few Mukkers. Despite the flaws SC is still one of my favourite fighting games.

I'm hoopyfordprefect on PSN if any of you match with me this afternoon.

I am very tempted to get this on the PC as its only 37 quid at cdkeys.  We'll see.

heres the PC version, and I will be turning English OFF on any version!

This is currently hovering around 85 on Metacritic and has been at the top of the Steam sales chart once or twice.

I don't put much stock in reviews for fighting games but since they've more or less said that this game is make or break for the series, those are certainly positive signs.