Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

2 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Any tips for the GA in the jungle? 

Spoiler

Stay back and study his moveset; I found that one or two moves left him open to attack (albeit momentarily) if you're patient and want to play it safe. For the second phase try and deflect the massive overhead swing if possible - it's terrifying but the timing becomes clear pretty quickly - as it leaves him wide open for a moment.

5 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I did Ashina Depths first, and found it pretty easy. You'll get some upgrades as well doing so before going to Sunken Valley, which can be quite tricky.

Cheers, I will try that.

5 hours ago, JPL said:

I’m so shit at this game. I couldn’t get past GA, so went back down the well and must have tried to kill that fucker 10 times. The camera is horrible down there. Well that’s what I’m blaming it on. I did kill the general up by the house where you first meet the heir though.

Bro, you just did the AS boss like you said. Thats not an easy target. Sounds to me like you need to dig into the Gen A fight a bit more, basically forget everything else in the game. Make it Gen A: The Game for that while. I had to park Sekiro outside both LB and Gen A for several days while learning everything the hard way. It has been interesting to see how differently people experience the game and the bosses, I think the game is just so tough in places that it challenges most players in some way where you have to get out of your comfort zone to progress and maybe change the way you are thinking about playing it.

In contrast to many others, I did the LSL fight pretty easily early on when I got to Ashina Castle. I was following the questline from 

Spoiler

Doujun the butcher to find a candidate for his work

when I found the purple ninja guy in the hole further back and thought Id might as well give it a shot.

(LSL spoilers)

Spoiler

Same with the Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen, one shot. And I think thats because this particular style of fighting suits me more than other encounters in the game.

Having said that, I still dont feel confident that Im going to be able to finish the game.

Some of the bosses coming up look pretty intimidating.

I'm on to another big boss now - GS-O.

Had about 8 or 9 attempts so far and haven't done that well yet. Was getting close to the end of the first phase on my last try, though, so with a bit of luck I should get through that.

As usual, I'd be really enjoying it if I knew it was going to end after that first phase. A solid but reasonable challenge. Knowing there's going to be a second and, who knows, even a third phase just makes me want to go and check a guide to speed things up.

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

DoH down after getting to his final phase half a dozen times

Now on to FO

Hide contents

Father Owl[/spolier]

Any tips for the above?

I got stuck on FO for quite a long time, finally did him today (then beat another boss first time :|). Tips:

Spoiler

mostly he's just hard, like Gen A you have to get used to all his attacks before you make any progress. If you *only* block he can break your posture, he hits hard, and it's difficult to hit him more than twice without him covering up, so it's a bit attritional. If you loop firecracker -> hit him twice -> firecracker you can get a chunk off him at the start. He actually hasn't got many different attacks - the one you want is the two shuriken -> jump attack because the jump attack's easy to dodge and you can hit him then (but sometimes he won't do it for a long time). He's got good range so it's very difficult to back away from him, normally you're best off deflecting and only backing off when he's finished a combo. There's an attack he sometime starts with where he does a surging thrust at you from a long way away and the game really sells it with loads of screenshake but it actually doesn't do that much posture damage. Don't use the spear on him, he can mikiro counter it brutally. Be patient and focus on quality deflections. The little healing-inhibiting grenade is a nice chance to back off and heal or block to recover posture

1 minute ago, panda_t said:

I got stuck on FO for quite a long time, finally did him today (then beat another boss first time :|). Tips:

Hide contents

mostly he's just hard, like Gen A you have to get used to all his attacks before you make any progress. If you *only* block he can break your posture, he hits hard, and it's difficult to hit him more than twice without him covering up, so it's a bit attritional. If you loop firecracker -> hit him twice -> firecracker you can get a chunk off him at the start. He actually hasn't got many different attacks - the one you want is the two shuriken -> jump attack because he jump attack's easy to dodge and you can hit him then (but sometimes he won't do it for a long time). He's got good range so it's very difficult to back away from him, normally you're best off deflecting and only backing off when he's finished a combo. There's an attack he sometime starts with where he does a surging thrust at you from a long way away and the game really sells it with loads of screenshake but it actually doesn't do that much posture damage. Don't use the spear on him, he can mikiro counter it brutally. Be patient and focus on quality deflections. The little healing-inhibiting grenade is a nice chance to back off and heal or block to recover posture

I think this is the first encounter with him??

I am on the Hirata estate encounter

Not played this for several days and I'm getting absolutely renamed by phase 2 of Guape 2. I know what I need to do. Phase 1 is piss. I just struggle to manufacture any openings because if it ain't one it's t'other. Any tips on how to move around the arena to get in and do some damage? I can survive but it's absurd just dodging for ten minutes without finding an opening. 

I ran into GSO today. Oof. I can see gaps in the patterns where you can get a hit in-

Spoiler

-the shuriken into overhead leaves him open

-when he brings his sword to *his* left for a swing, you can dodge to the left and he'll be kind of open

-but the small arena (and what it does to the camera) is going to make things tricky. As is getting killed in two hits. 

47 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Not played this for several days and I'm getting absolutely renamed by phase 2 of Guape 2. I know what I need to do. Phase 1 is piss. I just struggle to manufacture any openings because if it ain't one it's t'other. Any tips on how to move around the arena to get in and do some damage? I can survive but it's absurd just dodging for ten minutes without finding an opening. 

I literally just did them, and was surprised how quick it was.

I used the firecrackers on phase 2 for the guardian ape's wife, dodged the headless, and just wailed on her until she came out of the stun. Repeat that until she'd gone. Headless is a cakewalk if you have the purple umbrella as you can put it up for his scream and it only costs an emblem - no need to leg it out of there, or use any consumable then. Only attacked him when I deflected his big attack, and he falls over.

More tries on GS-O. Made the second phase a few times now and even came reasonably close to getting through that once. I hope there isn't any more to it after that.

I've spotted a small gap in his defences, and am trying to exploit it as much as possible, but the timing has to be spot on.

I really wish there was an option to turn the red kanji thing off completely. It is hardwired into my brain to mikiri counter every time I see it - there's no decision, just sheer reflex - and if it didn't pop up like that I'd be able to deal with the unblockable moves better. As soon as the kanji appears, I am no longer seeing an enemy's animation, just kanji (react!).

Been stuck on the first boss in the last area since last night. Now that there's very little exploration left, the game has become a bit of a boss rush and it's grinding me down like the action game amateur I am. I seem to overcome bosses so much slower than other people on here. I genuinely think there might be something wrong with me.

Also, call me paranoid, but I'm almost convinced some bosses are programmed to execute certain massive-range attacks on detecting your button press to heal. Might as well just not bother healing sometimes, even when you're way out of range - I often end up with less health than before I healed.

The kanji thing has broken me now. I think I want to ditch the game. That symbol flashing up completely destroys my ability to react to the enemy. It feels like it's intended to flash up to help me, but it does the complete opposite, and it's reached the point now where as soon as it appears I just drop the controller - or, more accurately, kanji appears, my thumb has already pressed the wrong button out of sheer reflex before I've had the chance to consider how to react, and then I drop the controller in utter frustration. For me, it's like being expected not to flinch when there's a really loud, unexpected bang right next to you.

21 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Also, call me paranoid, but I'm almost convinced some bosses are programmed to execute certain massive-range attacks on detecting your button press to heal. Might as well just not bother healing sometimes, even when you're way out of range - I often end up with less health than before I healed.

So stop running away to heal... 

Just beat Divine D, first try :D man that was pretty good!

Spoiler

Have From finally nailed gimmick bosses?!

Am at one of those points where the story is like "HURRY" but I'm like "dude, a bunch of save points are greyed out, I gotta 'splore!"

GSO down. There's a bit of the arena for that fight that is pretty bad, design wise, and can make you face the wrong way thanks to the camera -

Its the bit inbetween one of the doors to Kuro's room and the samurai statue on the left (while fighting the boss). This got me hit a few times as the camera loses the lock on and as such you cant block or parry effectively. He's not a very hard boss if you learn his attacks and know when to hit him a few times when he's vulnerable. Whirlwind Slash is pretty good for this, as it costs no emblems, and is pretty fast, allowing you to hit him twice, then either attack/parry or back off quickly. Just rinse repeat this, while staying a fair distance away from him to get him to initiate an attack that you can then exploit.

Firecrackers are useful to allow breathing room to heal in a pinch, but other than that I didnt find any prosthetics much use in this fight, as he has enough opportunities to whittle his health down just by avoiding his attacks and then hitting him that there's not much need.

8 hours ago, ann coulter said:

It's definitely a thing, but it's not too bad on most bosses. Dark Souls 3 was way worse for it.

Did CM last night and for a while became convinced that my bastard idiot thumbs were in fact not idiots, but actively trolling me. She has two kanji attacks, a sweep and a thrust, and my thumbs would automatically press the wrong button every fucking time. It was uncanny. Got there in the end though, and was surprised

Spoiler

that there's no second phase. I was playing with a kind of weary resignation that the first phase was taking me ages, then no doubt after that she would super powerful and destroy me in seconds after you take her down, but no. Pleasantly surprised. And now I can swim underwater! Honestly wasn't expecting that. Now I need to think of all the watery areas I can and explore them all. Kind of worried as to what I might find though...